PDA

View Full Version : Whats behind your alias, your handle or sign on name?

Tiaga
09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Just curious as to the thousands of sign-on names or alias names we all use. Is there a significant reason we choose the one we use or was it just easy, or sentimental, humorous etc. To get the ball rolling my name Tiaga (sometimes spelled Taiga) is the point were the barren Tundra meets the treeline Tiaga.
Symbolic of the barren life of the writer struggling at their craft alone and silent before reaching the exciting life of a published writer being thrown into the mix of other published writers.

sulong
09-06-2005, 10:27 PM
sulong is a Palau word. It means "Thank you"

P.H.Delarran
09-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Mine is an (abbreviated) anagram of my full maiden name.

Zonk
09-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Mine is the nickname of an favorite American Football player I watched in my youth...also descriptive of the sound he made whilst running over opposing players:banana:

:D:D:D

ANNIE
09-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Mine's not deep. it's a childhood nickname.(most ussually followed by banany):banana:

kristie911
09-06-2005, 11:56 PM
My name and I'm a 911 dispatcher in real-life...No, writing is not my real life, though it interferes with real life quite frequently!

I use this sign on with nearly every forum I join so I can remember it easily!

jdkiggins
09-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Whats behind your alias, your handle or sign on name?

ME!
:D :D :D
:ROFL:

paprikapink
09-07-2005, 12:24 AM
I used to use my name for everything, because it was so easy to remember and spell (for me, I mean). But though I try not to indulge in too much internet-paranoia or even justified fear, web-crawlers and spiders and Nigerian bank managers were starting to really get on my nerves. They look for names.

I like the sound of the word "paprika" (the spice is nice too). The first place I tried to use it as an ID, it was taken. I'm not way into pink, but I have nothing against it, and I liked how it went with paprika. And although pink is not the color one normally associates with paprika, pink paprika does exist. And so, in a cyber way, does paprikapink.

I like hearing about the personal significance of our IDs. Something I always wonder about.

Richard
09-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Mine is based on the ancient Sumarian word for 'he who shall destroy the planet with a quantum-filament based doomsday weapon as soon as Woolworths have them in stock'. My parents were very forward thinking people.

jdkiggins
09-07-2005, 12:47 AM
My initials.

And that stands for "Kitten Total Caboodle," right? :roll:

tiny
09-07-2005, 12:55 AM
My husband calls me The Tiny Terror because I'm around five foot and my day job is teaching self defense including hand to hand combat and weapon take aways.

I was going to use the name my students at the gym call me but I think O'Evil One would have brought me too much attention.

-chris

TheIT
09-07-2005, 01:06 AM
When the movie E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial came out my best friend dubbed me "The I. T." She said it meant "intelligent terrestrial." I said it meant "insane, temporarily." I prefer the latter (though I'm beginning to question the "temporarily" part).

Unique
09-07-2005, 01:57 AM
...because I am.

Carole
09-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Pretty boooring. Mine is just me.

ANNIE
09-07-2005, 03:13 AM
Mine is based on the ancient Sumarian word for 'he who shall destroy the planet with a quantum-filament based doomsday weapon as soon as Woolworths have them in stock'. My parents were very forward thinking people.

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

scfirenice
09-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Lets see. mine is my email address which came from an old boyfriend who accused me of being like the Pat Benatar song "Fire N Ice" Hence I became South Carolina Fire N Ice ( I have since moved to Maryland.)

Vanessa
09-07-2005, 05:49 AM
Given to me by my parents! I own it for LIFE!

robeiae
09-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Mine contains a secret of astounding proportions and of incredible historical relevance.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you... :)

Rob :)

paprikapink
09-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Mine contains a secret of astounding proportions and of incredible historical relevance.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you... :)

I could live with that. Go ahead, what is it?

Stormwolf
09-07-2005, 05:48 PM
My two favorite things to put it simply.

Jaycinth
09-07-2005, 11:30 PM
It fits my alternate personna...a psycho dancing faerie.

Gehanna
09-08-2005, 03:01 AM
I don't remember how I acquired mine. :Shrug:

It is believed to be associated with The Valley of Gehinnom but the actual word more closely associated with that is Gehenna and not Gehanna. ... tho I admit I can be a hellion at times. :Thumbs:

Hellion?? is that even a real word?

Yeshanu
09-08-2005, 03:47 AM
My initials.

I always thought it was short for Kentucky Tied Chicken (you know where my mind is...) :)

Yeshanu in my made-up elvish language means "living one," and is the name of my main character.

Gehanna
09-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Kentucky Tied Chicken?

That certainly adds a twist to finger lickin' good.

When I was 16 I worked at Long John Silver's restaurant and they were having a promotional for their chicken planks. I had to wear a large pin that stated in large print:

100% White Meat

Needless to say it really sucked having to wear that pin. Talk about sexual harrassment...from the customers...I coulda been a rich woman by now if only I had sued!

triceretops
09-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Well, for one thing it's spelled wrong. I'm a dino lover and it fits my personality--big and strong, but mostly defensive.

Triceratops

MadScientistMatt
09-08-2005, 04:50 PM
My name's a carry-over from automotive message boards where I had a tendancy to come up with car ideas that resemble what Dr. Frankenstein might have built if he were into hot rods instead of animating corpses. For example, I am right now working on a project to build a turbocharged, fuel injected Dodge Dart. I've pieced together a collection of parts from Ford, GM, Toyota, and Mitsubishi cars to put under the hood, wired up a homemade computer from a mail order kit, and... well, you get the picture!

robeiae
09-08-2005, 05:51 PM
I could live with that. Go ahead, what is it?
Are you worthy? First you must prove yourself...you must chop down the tallest tree in the forest with...a herring!!

Sarita
09-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Mine is my nickname in Spanish, the same handle I use for messenger and email. Oh and I like the # 8.

Rob- You killed me months ago. I'm ready to hear the secret. :) (you can tell me, you're one of the knighst that say Neeee! aren't you...)

Sara

paprikapink
09-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Are you worthy? First you must prove yourself...you must chop down the tallest tree in the forest with...a herring!!

Okay! That's done. Now, tell me! Tell me!

Arc_Honest
09-09-2005, 10:15 PM
if you play Warcraft 3 Frozen throne, play the Mod called Defence of the Ancients (DotA) select Knight Davion as your charactor, and use is ultimate attack, he turns into a dragon, the dragons name is Arc Honest,

my other name, AKA_King is a stray away from having to explain my name ;)

threedogpeople
09-09-2005, 10:59 PM
I share my life with three Ibizan Hounds; named Wisdom, Mercy and Joy.

:Shrug:

robeiae
09-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Okay! That's done. Now, tell me! Tell me!
Not yet: Next, to purify your body, you must take this duct tape and ...remove every hair on you body!

Penman Shipp
09-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Mine, the choice of a pen lover from hours in the scriptorium...http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/writersblock.gif

Ebelie
09-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Mine is a variation of an old nickname, which came from someone getting my real name mixed up with a glass of champagne.

I'm terrible at thinking of these things.

paprikapink
09-13-2005, 04:15 AM
Not yet: Next, to purify your body, you must take this duct tape and ...remove every hair on you body!

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Done that. Now, tell me!

rhymegirl
09-13-2005, 04:41 AM
How did I get the name you see
above my photograph?
It really came quite easily
and bet you'll have to laugh--
I thought, What name is best for me
for now and for all times?
I know! Since I write poetry,
I'll be the girl who rhymes!

Tiaga
09-13-2005, 07:16 AM
If there was a prize rhymegirl would win! You definately are "rhymegirl"! You take the cake....ah er except there is no cake either.

Paprikapink I bet your fun at Christmas judging by your posts I bet you're a present shaker!

rhymegirl
09-13-2005, 07:12 PM
My initials.

And every time I read them, I think: KFC--Kentucky Fried Chicken. And then I get hungry.

Why don't you change your middle name to, I don't know, Francis or something.

rhymegirl
09-13-2005, 07:15 PM
If there was a prize rhymegirl would win! You definately are "rhymegirl"! You take the cake....ah er except there is no cake either.

I'll take a rep point instead...just saying.

paprikapink
09-13-2005, 08:03 PM
And every time I read them, I think: KFC--Kentucky Fried Chicken. And then I get hungry.

Interesting response. When I think of KFC I just want to wash my hands.

paprikapink
09-13-2005, 08:04 PM
And KTC, of course, makes me think of Kodiak Tickle Club.

Eveningsdawn
09-14-2005, 04:20 AM
Mine (Eveningsdawn, for those too lazy to look left) is just cause I liked the sound. And it's rather an oxymoron. Evening doesn't dawn, now does it?
The name I used on the AW IRC is Edie. Eveningsdawn -> ED -> Edie.

Munchkin
09-14-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm short and I've been known to sing that I am in the Lollypop Guild.

Torin
09-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Torin is one of my most vocal characters and I've been writing his journal online since '99 on Opendiary. He's not me, by any stretch, but I like his name.