PDA

View Full Version : Haven (the series)

LOG
07-12-2010, 06:34 AM
New series airing on SYfy.
Just saw the first episode, gotta say, I was kind of disappointed.
It was going well for the first 40 or so minutes. But the last 10 or so minutes felt not only rough and full of sappiness and melodrama, they left me with less of the Innsmouth feeling I was looking for, and more of a 'fantasy Eureka.'

veinglory
07-12-2010, 05:55 PM
I was pretty disappointed too. I had hopes of it being a true gothic. It seems to fit snugly between Eureka and Warehouse 13. Yawn.

Smileycat
07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
I couldn't even watch the entire premiere episode, which should have been terrific, right?

Oh, well.

KTC
07-13-2010, 01:10 PM
it stank of Canadian TV. cheeze.

LOG
07-26-2010, 09:59 PM
The problem is that whoever is directing is trying to combine Eureka happy-go-lucky humor with dark moments (of which there have been a few) and it's just not working.

The effect is jarring.

CheshireCat
07-27-2010, 03:39 AM
I don't think the show knows what it wants to be when it grows up. Mind you, I didn't read the Stephen King story it's apparently based on, so ...

There are a couple of characters I find interesting, so I'm still watching. But if the show doesn't improve quickly, I'll delete it from my DVR list.

As an aside, I love the way they managed to shake things up on Eureka while being true to the show.

LOG
07-27-2010, 05:50 AM
I
[B][COLOR=#4b0082]As an aside, I love the way they managed to shake things up on Eureka while being true to the show.

Ja, dat were purty cool weren' it?

(Don't mind me, some days I just feel like putting on weird accents.)

Carlene
08-18-2010, 05:49 AM
Anyone watching this series on the SyFi network - Fridays? It's based on "The Colorado Kid" by Stephen King. I haven't read the book. The series started out to be interesting but....the last couple of episodes were a little too woo-woo for me.

Carlene

Roman Circus
Legacy pub date 9/27/2010
www.nobleromance.com

Mind Echoes
Stormy Love
The Worst Evil
www.whiskeycreekpress.com

Call Sign: Love
The Colors of Death
An Extra Pair of Eyes
www.writewordsinc.com

Finder
www.wildchildpublishing.com

Mysterious Gift
www.cobblestone-press.com

LOG
08-18-2010, 05:54 AM
We already have a thread for this. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185500)

jvc
08-19-2010, 07:54 AM
I've merged the two threads together :)

celeber
08-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I keep watching it, and there are some interesting elements that I have enjoyed. I am interested enough for now to DVR this show.

kelloish
08-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I haven't totally lost interest yet. I've learned and relearned that shows sometimes take awhile to hit their stride, and so now I hate giving up on anything too soon, especially anything with a supernatural feel.

LOG
08-23-2010, 05:02 PM
They definitely have their moments, like yesterday I saw the start of an episode where they very beautifully went from a kind of normal-everyday life feeling, to a guy having his limbs snapped in half and bent around.
Then they talked about a MC's lack of dating skills. I get it's kind of about trying to say, "This is what people would probably be like in this situation." But I still think it just ruins the mood, they can't seem to keep any one mode for a long period of time.

SueLahna
08-27-2010, 09:00 AM
I haven't been able to get through an episode. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe I can find a less-bad one on the internets.

veinglory
08-27-2010, 06:07 PM
The episode are very 'samey'. Weird crime, paranormal solution. The frequency with which people are murdered/murderers does make any sense in a town that is meant to be quite small.

psyche24
11-13-2014, 01:33 AM
At the risk of being laughed at- Are there any other Haven fans out there besides me?

Dennis E. Taylor
11-13-2014, 06:17 AM
I thought it was great for the first 3 seasons. It really felt like they had their end-game planned, instead of winging it like Lost or X-Files.

Then, around the time they introduced the skin-walker (skin-wearer?) it started to feel like they were thrashing around, and I stopped following.

C.bronco
11-13-2014, 06:22 AM
New series airing on SYfy.
Just saw the first episode, gotta say, I was kind of disappointed.
It was going well for the first 40 or so minutes. But the last 10 or so minutes felt not only rough and full of sappiness and melodrama, they left me with less of the Innsmouth feeling I was looking for, and more of a 'fantasy Eureka.'

This makes me feel better, because my ya novel, The Haven, is very cool. One day it will be published and, hopefully, all will have forgotten about the namesake series.

You can't copyright titles, so I learned.

KimJo
11-13-2014, 07:19 PM
I'm a fan of this show. It keeps me guessing and interested, which isn't something I can say about a lot of TV shows...

Bonus for me is that it's filmed in and around my mom's hometown of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, so I've actually been to some of the buildings/settings they use. Since I haven't been able to travel there for over 12 years, watching the show feels to me like going home.

psyche24
11-14-2014, 12:47 AM
I'm a fan of this show. It keeps me guessing and interested, which isn't something I can say about a lot of TV shows...

Bonus for me is that it's filmed in and around my mom's hometown of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, so I've actually been to some of the buildings/settings they use. Since I haven't been able to travel there for over 12 years, watching the show feels to me like going home.

I though I was the only one who enjoyed Haven. I had no idea it was filmed in Nova Scotia- I wanted to visit Maine as a result of the gorgeous scenery in the show

Calla Lily
11-14-2014, 04:40 AM
I liked it up until this season, when Audrey became Mara. Now the show is one-note and utterly predictable instead of fun and somewhat predictable.

/opinionated opinion

AshleyEpidemic
11-14-2014, 09:06 AM
I found Haven last year on Netflix. Binged it then watched season four live. Season four had a different feel but it was still very Haven. Season five is a different story. Until the most recent episode it didn't feel like Haven at all. I found myself bored. It looks like it may turn itself around though. Part of the drag with this season is how they've disconnected duke from Audrey. Then again I never liked Nathan because he was too bland and made Audrey even more dull.

KimJo
11-14-2014, 05:26 PM
I completely ship Duke and Audrey.

On the other hand, the romance author in me wonders why the blazes she can't just have both Duke *and* Nathan...

Mara's gotten annoying now. Hopefully her arc will come to an end soon.

Psyche, yeah, it's filmed in eastern Nova Scotia; the in-town scenes are primarily filmed in Lunenburg. (The Haven police station is actually Lunenburg Town Hall.) That isn't to say Maine doesn't have equally awesome scenery, just that the Haven scenery isn't actually in Maine.

psyche24
11-16-2014, 01:17 AM
I completely ship Duke and Audrey.

On the other hand, the romance author in me wonders why the blazes she can't just have both Duke *and* Nathan...

Mara's gotten annoying now. Hopefully her arc will come to an end soon.

Psyche, yeah, it's filmed in eastern Nova Scotia; the in-town scenes are primarily filmed in Lunenburg. (The Haven police station is actually Lunenburg Town Hall.) That isn't to say Maine doesn't have equally awesome scenery, just that the Haven scenery isn't actually in Maine.

I agree. There must be some way of producing an 'Audrey' for Duke-just hope it isn't Mara.