PDA

View Full Version : We are MOVED!!

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
07-12-2010, 05:39 AM
:D

Some of you know that I was in hell, living in Outer Mongolia, Alberta with my in-laws, using my writing to keep from losing my mind.

As of July 1st, Mr. HipHop and I began FINALLY moving into our own place. The last week has been a blur of unpacking, catching up on laundry (some of which has been packed away for 9 months and smelled funky...), planting some pretty flowers to make the place look better, and beginning to get some order to this place. Yes, I admit it. I neglected my writing in my quest to achieve domestic perfection at last.

Let me just give a little "squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" here, because at last, I have an office of my very own (Mr. HipHop has his own too). I have finally begun to get some semblance of order in there, including old-fashioned art, my writing books, my genealogy, my scrapbooking, etc.

Life is good....
:partyguy:

Cella
07-12-2010, 05:53 AM
*groans at in-laws on general*

:snoopy: happy for you!

Silver King
07-12-2010, 06:01 AM
...Some of you know that I was in hell, living in Outer Mongolia, Alberta with my in-laws, using my writing to keep from losing my mind...
Don't forget to thank them, your in-laws, for taking you in during your time of need. Buy them a nice gift and take them out to dinner to show your appreciation.

This is your conscience speaking, and not just some random jumping fish.

backslashbaby
07-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Congratulations!!! New places rock :) You have to buy a plant; it's a rule :D

regdog
07-12-2010, 02:52 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/smiley-bounce017.gif

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/smiley-happy096.gif

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/poze.gif

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/emoticon-char-038.gif

seun
07-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Hurray. And boo hiss to in laws.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
07-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Don't forget to thank them, your in-laws, for taking you in during your time of need. Buy them a nice gift and take them out to dinner to show your appreciation.

This is your conscience speaking, and not just some random jumping fish.

Thanks SK--

Unfortunately, it's going to take awhile, if we ever get to that point. My FIL and I get along fine, and I've thanked him, but my MIL and I were barely speaking when we left. I made up my mind when we arrived that I would be as respectful as possible, but that quickly dissolved when I got none of that back. She'd just poke her head in our room without knocking, leave my dog chained up out in the rain (he's an indoor dog), and would laugh when I told her he was an indoor dog (they treat their dog like crap; mine have always been pampered babies).

The biggest thing was that we asked her to please not slam the drawers and cabinets quite so hard because it was painful for me. I have some sort of neurological disorder, although it has now been ruled out as not being MS, thank goodness. She would not do that. It sounded like she even tried banging the dishes, cabinets and drawers even harder.

I wanted to lay down some ground rules between all of us when we arrived, but my husband said no, and panicked that 'they'll kick us out!' For the life of me, I could not understand why that was such a bad thing. My marriage to Mr. HipHop underwent some serious changes out there, and I don't know if it will ever be the same. We never used to argue, and now we bicker constantly.

So needless to say, my FIL can relay my thanks to her. I don't plan on communicating with her again if I don't have to. That includes holidays with the extended family. She can stay in her corner, and I'll stay in mine.

Susie
07-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Happy new place Hip-Hop. Hope you and MrHH really enjoy it and wise advice from the Master of wisdom our dear Silver!

PoppysInARow
07-13-2010, 02:01 AM
So glad to hear. I remember you complaining about your inlaws. Relish in the new enviornment, you deserve it.

Silver King
07-13-2010, 03:34 AM
...I wanted to lay down some ground rules between all of us when we arrived, but my husband said no, and panicked that 'they'll kick us out!' For the life of me, I could not understand why that was such a bad thing.
It's kind of tough to establish your ground rules in someone else's home. I mean, imagine your MIL coming to stay with you and saying, "Okay, Hip, this is the way it's going to be for as long as I'm here..." Then she rattled off a list of terms for what she thought would make a less stressful environment while she stayed in your home.

How would that fly with you?

I've been in the same boat as your in-laws, and believe me, it is exceedingly difficult taking in adult children. You get the feeling that they expect it and almost act like they're doing you a favor by upsetting your life for what always turns out to be longer than expected. Always. Then throw in ungratefulness, slovenly behavior, constant complaints and nagging, in addition to a sense of entitlement that should've ended years ago, and you have the makings for VERY unpleasant house guests. That's been my experience, anyway.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
07-14-2010, 10:20 PM
It's kind of tough to establish your ground rules in someone else's home. I mean, imagine your MIL coming to stay with you and saying, "Okay, Hip, this is the way it's going to be for as long as I'm here..." Then she rattled off a list of terms for what she thought would make a less stressful environment while she stayed in your home.

How would that fly with you?

I've been in the same boat as your in-laws, and believe me, it is exceedingly difficult taking in adult children. You get the feeling that they expect it and almost act like they're doing you a favor by upsetting your life for what always turns out to be longer than expected. Always. Then throw in ungratefulness, slovenly behavior, constant complaints and nagging, in addition to a sense of entitlement that should've ended years ago, and you have the makings for VERY unpleasant house guests. That's been my experience, anyway.

No, by ground rules, I meant on their end, if they had any for us. And then once those were established, see if we could ask a thing or two. Negotiation, so we could live together harmoniously. The only thing I wanted was please not slamming stuff so hard because of this neurological condition of mine, whatever it is.

My husband did a lot to make up for it-- helped with the dishes, vacuumed, helped his dad with the mowing and cleanup around the property. We kept our room neat, and I tried to stay out of their way as much as possible. I cooked when we first got there, and did dishes or cleaned up from time to time, but after awhile, I just stopped. I tend not to give a lot of respect to people who don't return it. My FIL was fine, but she was a royal %^&* to me.

And I learned a lot about my husband that wasn't pleasant. When I was utterly miserable, trapped up here with no alternatives, he was perfectly fine with the situation. After all, he was living in his old house again, just like he did years ago. No sweat for him. I am a city girl, and was not coping well in the country to begin with, but we stayed out there way longer than we needed to. I did not want to be a burden on them anymore. I had to tell him that I was going to start looking for jobs in the states again, and I was going to take a bus and stay with my 3rd cousin down in Calgary to get his ass to move. It has done irreparable damage to our marriage. Our tenth anniversary is tomorrow, and I was seriously doubtful a few weeks ago that we would make it. That's how bad it was.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
07-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Congratulations!!! New places rock :) You have to buy a plant; it's a rule :D

Have already planted multiple pretty flowers outside. I have a gift for killing houseplants. They have a better chance outside, believe it or not.