PDA

View Full Version : Started the after-holiday week off with a rejection!

Susie
09-06-2005, 06:14 PM
What a way to start the day. I got a rejection from The Dabbling Mom on a reprint! They only pay $5 on reprints, but my article got the no-go. Oh, well, I'll send it somewhere else. Much good luck with all your subs.

awatkins
09-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Awww, Susie! Better luck with it next time. I know you can do it! :Hug2:

Susie
09-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Awww, thanks so much, Anne. You're so nice and it's most appreciated! Hope you get lots of acceptances and big bucks. Sure appreciate the encouragement.

Anastacia
09-07-2005, 04:15 AM
Yeah better luck next time. They rejected something I wrote about a year ago so you're not alone.

Were they at least nice about it? Because the rejection letter they sent was very kind.

KTC
09-07-2005, 04:37 AM
Wear it like a badge, girl! And go get the next one! Good luck. A rejection means your submitting. You're already winning!

Susie
09-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys. Most appreciated! I think it was just the usual form letter. Much good luck to you all.

writerterri
09-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Don't feel bad my agent rejected my second project and so did my editor. Now that's a blow. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/new/8_22/23_11_60.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm080YYUS)though. I'm going to hit my agent up again. I'm not going down that easy.

Susie
09-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks much, writerterri. Gee, sure sorry you had that, but good for you that you'll try again. Hope it works out great for you!

dabblingmum
04-07-2008, 05:42 PM
I just got a Google Alert on this thread and wanted to say, "Don't feel bad about the rejection". It was nothing personal. I don't recall your specific reprint, but sometimes rejections are simply because the piece didn't fit or the timing was off and had nothing whatsoever to do with writing skills.

Just so you know, I still get rejections, too. I may be an editor of a paying publication but as a freelance writer, I get rejected all the time. It's the nature of the beast.

Rejections hurt but they make us stronger and the more you develop "thick skin" for the industry, the less it will hurt but it will always hurt. I think it hurts because writers put part of their soul into their work, even if it's a how to article about something that wasn't actually personal.

Also, we pay $5 to $10 for reprints and $20 to $40 on originals. I know it's not a lot but we are a free online publication who earns revenue from ads and it's our ads that pay the writers.

Have a blessed day.

Edited to say: I cannot believe it took Google this long to send me an alert on this thread!

WendyNYC
04-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Darn it! Next time.

seaaircarol
04-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Hang in there, Suse! An acceptance is right around the corner.

Jersey Chick
04-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Ack - I just realized this thread's almost 3 years old--- I need more coffee... :D

Susie
04-07-2008, 06:26 PM
I just got a Google Alert on this thread and wanted to say, "Don't feel bad about the rejection". It was nothing personal. I don't recall your specific reprint, but sometimes rejections are simply because the piece didn't fit or the timing was off and had nothing whatsoever to do with writing skills.

Just so you know, I still get rejections, too. I may be an editor of a paying publication but as a freelance writer, I get rejected all the time. It's the nature of the beast.

Rejections hurt but they make us stronger and the more you develop "thick skin" for the industry, the less it will hurt but it will always hurt. I think it hurts because writers put part of their soul into their work, even if it's a how to article about something that wasn't actually personal.

Also, we pay $5 to $10 for reprints and $20 to $40 on originals. I know it's not a lot but we are a free online publication who earns revenue from ads and it's our ads that pay the writers.

Have a blessed day.

Edited to say: I cannot believe it took Google this long to send me an alert on this thread!

Thanks so much, The Dabbling Mum. I did get an acceptance for a reprint article of mine recently with your publication, so it's most appreciated. That's wonderful of you to take the time to write and the payment is appreciated. Hope you get acceptances too. That is a long time for Google. :) Have a blessed day also.

Thank you very much, everyone. It's most appreciated!

stormie
04-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I think it's great that TDM responded here. (See, Susie, you rate!)

Susie
04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Thx much, Stormie. You do too! :Hug2:

Greenwolf103
04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
OK, gang. I'm going to close this thread as the rejection was 3 years old and it seems some confusion is popping up here.

Susie, congrats on getting accepted the next time around! :Hug2:

TDM, you are awesome for sharing such a personal and honest response to this rejection thread. I, too, am astounded Google Alerts took this long. I used to be on the rejecting end, too, so I can understand the need to explain why something gets rejected from time to time.

We out!