PDA

View Full Version : Does posting in Share Your Work count as publishing?

MJRevell
07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
I know it's password protected, which helps against it being publically available... but with the password being visible to everyone, does it essentially defeat the purpose?

Kateness
07-11-2010, 08:41 PM
No, it does not count as publishing.

The fact that there's a password keeps the bots from being able to get to the works and make them available on searches. You can only view SYW if you're a human member, which means that no, it doesn't count.

thothguard51
07-11-2010, 08:43 PM
The google or MS search engines can not get pass the passwords, so it does not show up in a search.

Besides, if its not the finish product, its not going to matter...

Medievalist
07-11-2010, 08:45 PM
1. SYW doesn't show up in search engines.
2. You can always edit your post after the crit.
3. It's not a finished work; it's clearly a draft of a WiP

Gale Haut
07-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Doesn't it depend? The submission guidelines for poetry magazine (http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/submissions.html) state that they will not publish anything that "has appeared online." Has anyone come across anyone, non-poetry, with similar restrictions?

MJRevell
07-13-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm thinking mostly from a short story perspective. Thanks for the replies -- good to know.

Maryn
07-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Doesn't it depend? The submission guidelines for poetry magazine (http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/submissions.html) state that they will not publish anything that "has appeared online." Has anyone come across anyone, non-poetry, with similar restrictions?
Timmy, I interpret that to mean has appeared on line at a site open to the public. In a password-protected critique area of a writing site, it hasn't really appeared online for the world to see, right? It's the cyber equivalent of showing it to your critique group.

Maryn, who does both

Valerie J. Long
07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
I'd say, it's a "don't get caught" thing.

While it's probably no problem to put up a single chapter for critique - which is like an excerpt that publishers offer themselves, too - a poem is usually made publicly available in its entirety.

Bots don't count, they are no potential readers anyway. But the password protection here is IMHO not better than a book in a public library, where access is controlled as well.

Cheers, Val

dpaterso
07-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I'd say, it's a "don't get caught" thing.
I disagree. You're posting a work in progress that's very likely to change, and said WIP isn't being posted openly on the big bad internet for all to view (editor doesn't want his/her readers to have already read the material, for free).

-Derek

Valerie J. Long
07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Hi Derek,
who am I to decide? In the end it's the publisher's opinion that counts.
Cheers,
Val

Kalyke
07-13-2010, 05:34 PM
My take on this is the internet is a valuable asset to a writer, providing him/her with a community of sorts. When finished, the writing may or may not be "proprietary" in the sense of a valuable asset to make both money for the author and the publisher. On the other hand, statistics tell us that only 1 in something like 5000 submissions are accepted for publication, thus most of those books die in silence and disappointment. Most of the novels started are never finished anyway. With this in mind, it is better to get something out of the book than nothing, and getting read by betas helps you to improve as a writer.

Bufty
07-13-2010, 07:19 PM
We are talking about google here.

Anything submitted to the password protected SYW Forum here will not show up through a google search because the google bots can't get at it.

No publisher is concerned about the use of critiquing facilities such as those offered here.

If you have a short story or a brief poem for peer critique and are concerned about it being read by outsiders the simple answer is either to delete it once you have received whatever feedback you consider sufficient or not to post it at all.

Hi Derek,
who am I to decide? In the end it's the publisher's opinion that counts.
Cheers,
Val

Chris P
07-13-2010, 07:28 PM
AW does not bill itself as a publication site; ezines and blogs do. The intent of the SYW forum is clear. The posting author has no intent that the post constitutes publication.

To take the "posting is publication" to an extreme, running down to Kinkos and printing 5 copies of a story to give to critters is not publication; how is posting here different? Now, printing 100 copies to give out as promotion at a local art fair might be.