Patterson 1st to sell 1 Million E-books?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.switched.com/2010/07/07/...comes-first-author-to-sell-1-million-e-books/

He and his publisher Hachett are surprised that King or Douglas Adams were not the first but since there is no reliable reporting system, how are they sure Patterson is the first?

Still, I've always said if anyone is truly going to succeed in e-publishing it is going to be the larger publishers because they have the backing and authors already in place to make a quick jump. They can weather the start up easier than new publishers with no known names and little capital.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
To be fair, in the original article they say they know Patterson has done it, and can find no one else who has made the claim. So they don't know for sure.

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
Before people get excited:

Remember, this total is from ALL of Patterson's novels that have been released in E-book format. This is a combined total.

The traditional way of selling is still the dominant one in the industry, don't forget it.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Still, I've always said if anyone is truly going to succeed in e-publishing it is going to be the larger publishers because they have the backing and authors already in place to make a quick jump. They can weather the start up easier than new publishers with no known names and little capital.

As someone who works for one of the larger publishers, I can tell you that the concept of the 'quick jump' makes me chuckle. It's like turning an oil tanker around.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who works for one of the larger publishers, I can tell you that the concept of the 'quick jump' makes me chuckle. It's like turning an oil tanker around.

Not sure why I noted quick jump because as we all know, publishers never do anything quickly. (Damn swifties...)

Still, my point is valid. Once a decision is made to go this route, the major commercial publishers are in a better position to take advantage of e-publishing with their established stable of authors, not to mention their own skills in advertising, and larger check books to back such ventures.

I wonder how long it will be before the large publishers start buying up the smaller e-publishers like Ellora's Cave, or Champaign Books and Double Dragon? After all, in business, once a start up company gets noticed, someone is always looking to buy them out. Look at how many are already partnering up with POD's such as createaspace to generate extra revenue.

Or am I missing something...

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
And that is really interesting to me because he is one of a handful of authors whom I will not read under any circumstances.

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
Patterson's okay. I find him heavy on style and short on substance, which makes him a library-only read for me. His Maximum Ride books went off the deep end after book 3, though, and Daniel X didn't make a lot of sense so I don't really use his YA work as a guideline for learning how to write in that genre.