Querying Another Agent In Nonresponder's Firm?

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my queries have been outstanding for months and so I think I can safely assume the recipients aren't that into me. :Shrug: Without an official rejection, though, is it acceptable to query another agent at the firm of someone who has ignored me? (This assumes it isn't an agency that says that a rejection by one is a rejection by all or that you can assume a rejection if you don't hear within a stated period of time.)

If so, how long should I wait?

At some firms, it was difficult to choose a particular agent, so I would like to take a shot at others if possible.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
After three months of silence, you're good.

Sooner if the agent in question promises a response (somewhere -- in submission guidelines, on their blog, etc.) within a lesser amount of time and you don't hear back.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
4-6 weeks should be fine. Nonresponders almost always state a specific time frame.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
4-6 weeks should be fine. Nonresponders almost always state a specific time frame.

Actually, I have a number of nonresponders who haven't :) Or they say it is usually a certain amount of time, but they sometimes get swamped so it can take an unspecified longer amount of time.

I've also had people who say that they always answer everyone, but haven't responded to me. I guess I'm special ... or I've just queried lots and so have ran into about everything.

I've looked at querytracker for everyone, but some people don't have much of a track record or they have responses over a wide range of time.

So far for me, the longest before a nibble from a query has been two months. Maybe that is a good rule of thumb absent some indication that I should wait a bit longer.

Thanks for the advice, both of you. It makes me feel more comfortable in doing what I wanted to do :D

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for asking the question. I've been wondering the same myself. I've found that my query must not be very memorable because I see responses to the left of me and responses to the right and here I stand unrejected. And unagented.

Two months sounds like a fair enough time. I think I'll take it. Thanks again!

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I waited six months before querying a second agent at one agency. The first agent never responded, and then he stopped taking queries. Sometimes, the email is actually lost or misplaced within the agency.

Case in point: I queried Sarah at The Greenhouse on 1/30/10. No answer. She's an agent who still believes in sending out rejections, so I requeried her on 4/6/10, but apologized if it was a duplicate. She rejected me on 4/12/10. She rejected me again, two months later. In her second rejection letter, she apologized that it took her so long to get back to me. She said my initial query had been accidently put into a folder that she rarely looks at. I was kind of surprised she didn't remember that she'd already rejected me. My novel is unique in enough ways to stand out, but I guess she was overwhelmed. So, I got rejected twice :D

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've gotten rejected twice as well, but with the same form letter each time, both in response to one query. OK, I get it :D

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I'd first query other agents not yet contacted before getting around to querying other agents at agencies where I previously submitted. Unlike some others, I'd wait 3-4 months before doing so. Let the first one die a natural death. Why look for what could be a problem?

My 2 cents.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it depends on the type of agency. In a place like Andrea Brown, they have a "one = all" rejection policy, because they seem to work more closely together. Agencies with less agents are similar. But in agencies like Writers House or Trident, agents are more independent. I read (I believe it was either Dan Lazar or Ken Wright) an agent say that queries aren't logged into a sort of database--but if an assistant is sorting mail and sees the same query go to multiple agents, they'll let them know. Look at it this way, if you've waited 4-6 weeks, and you send your query, there is still weeks of time before that new agent reviews it for the other agent to get back to you. They're not crosschecking each others mail from weeks difference--they have better things to do, and I doubt they really care.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I can do three months (or four) before I start. I have one data base search to finish, and then I can go back to the firms I queried in the beginning. There are also some agents I passed the first time through because they wanted some customized, longer query letter, a process I thought I'd skip if I could. By the time I get to those places that I queried two months ago, more time will have passed.

Or, who knows, maybe I'll have representation by that time. I do have people looking at my book. I just like to keep busy while they do so, rather than obsessively check my inbox!

However, I don't know that I would get an "assistant sorts and sees the same query" problem, because I have largely emailed. My older queries were also before I responded to some comments by agents and shortened my book, changed the query, and even changed the name of the book.

(I've kicked around the idea of requerying folks who have rejected me, or not responded after months, with my new query, but I don't know if that would accomplish anything. I've only requeried those that gave me some indication that my rewrite might change their mind. I picked up a couple who are willing to look at my writing again so I guess that wasn't wasted effort.)

I guess I shouldn't have joked about being rejected twice by the same agent. I accidentally queried the same agent twice, but months apart and with two different query letters. I do keep a list but for some reason I didn't see her name until I was checking later for someone else. Too embarassing to email and say, "Never mind ..."

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Double submission happens. I queried my agent's assistant, then queried him a few months later. She rejected me, and he requested a full (and the e-mail came from her). I wouldn't have ever queried him if I had known she was still his assistant. Mistakes happen. Sometimes they can play to your benefit.

And, interestingly enough, Tina Wexler just said in a Q&A at Literary Rambles (caseylmccormick.blogspot.com) that it's okay to query months apart with the same project/new letter. So, agents are different.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Double submission happens. I queried my agent's assistant, then queried him a few months later. She rejected me, and he requested a full (and the e-mail came from her). I wouldn't have ever queried him if I had known she was still his assistant. Mistakes happen. Sometimes they can play to your benefit.

And, interestingly enough, Tina Wexler just said in a Q&A at Literary Rambles (caseylmccormick.blogspot.com) that it's okay to query months apart with the same project/new letter. So, agents are different.

Cool ... maybe I'll resubmit. What's the worst that can happen? Do you think I should mention that my book is different now than the one previously queried about -- or not even mention the previous query?

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you got a request, and were rejected, then if you're going to resubmit, you should detail what you've done (as Tina Wexler says). But, if you're resubmitting a query, I wouldn't bother (they haven't seen the writing anyway). And really, if you do resubmit, the query should have changed drastically (if the synopsis is practically the same, they'll pass again, but if you failed to highlight something important, or if you emphasized something that's not, you may have a shot).

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to think some more about whether the query has changed drastically. My hook is the same, but everything else is better (at least in my opinion :D). The biggest difference to agents, though, might be my reported word count.

Some who passed on the first go round could have seen the writing, actually, since this is a nonfiction work and some agents want you to submit your book proposal (which has sample chapters). The other parts of my book proposal have also been rewritten quite a bit.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Perhaps I will resubmit to those who received the proposal, mentioning the changes. I'll sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow ... In any event, I still have new people I can query at this point.