PDA

View Full Version : Reviving the college's film club

maxmordon
07-10-2010, 10:20 PM
My college used to have a film club, but sadly it has been inactive for two semesters (and during my first semester the only activity they had was a "Chinese cinema cycle" which somehow included Forbbiden Kingdom and Rush Hour 2. So, me and some friends of mine who are also big geeks have proposed to the head of the AV department to restarting it, even offering to buy some DVDs and promote it around ourselves. Well, seems that he liked the idea and wants to talk that with us later in the next few weeks.

The thing is that the semester is almost over and so we can't do much, but we want to start next one with a high kick. But since I and my friend Charlotte are the de-facto promoters of this, we must think ideas within logical limits to do it.

So, I wonder, do you have any suggestion for this? Keep in mind that our college is really small, and I think it's comparable to the US community colleges and they don't really trust the students, so I assume for once they won't give us much of a budget. So far we have thought on asking contributions or changing half a dollar for the entrance.

What do you suggest? Which movies do you think essential for any film club? Have you been in a similar situation?

Silver King
07-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Max, this discussion might be better suited to the Movies forum (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149). It's welcome to stay here, but I can move it there for you if this room doesn't provide the answers you are seeking.

maxmordon
07-11-2010, 07:19 PM
I wasn't sure weather it would be good here or there. But be free to move it, you have my blessing. :)

Silver King
07-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Okay, we're off to the movies now.

Best of luck with your film club, Max.

childeroland
07-12-2010, 03:56 AM
As far as essential films, the usual Sight & Sound/AFI/Steadycam Magazine, etc polls would suffice, but why not focus on particular movements that occurred simultaneously or that influenced each other--e.g. the French New Wave and Italian Neorealism? Or why not focus on films considered among the greatest but relatively little-seen--e.g. Les Vampires? Or animation out of the American and Japanese mainstreams?

Kitty Pryde
07-12-2010, 07:08 AM
I would show something pretty universally liked at the first meeting (Princess Bride? Goonies? OK, your peers are not children of the 80s like me, ask around for something :) ), and have some chips and soda. Then when you bring some people in, ask them about what sorts of things they want to see, and plan your programming from there. You never know if people will want Cinema From Around The World, Classic Thrillers, Obscure Zombie Movies, Woody Allen Retrospective, or what :D

For inspiration, enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INSZq9pOvD0 ! One of the characters is based on a friend of mine :D

maxmordon
07-12-2010, 09:59 PM
As far as essential films, the usual Sight & Sound/AFI/Steadycam Magazine, etc polls would suffice, but why not focus on particular movements that occurred simultaneously or that influenced each other--e.g. the French New Wave and Italian Neorealism? Or why not focus on films considered among the greatest but relatively little-seen--e.g. Les Vampires? Or animation out of the American and Japanese mainstreams?

Yes, of course. I want to have the collection not only good but also with variety. It's also where to get them that surfaces another situation, I know of some places to get some less-known great films (The Yellow Submarine, Roshomon) besides the ones I own and can copy, though most of them are out of the state.

Animation is a bit more trickier, though... even Hayao Miyazaki can be hard to get around.

maxmordon
07-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I would show something pretty universally liked at the first meeting (Princess Bride? Goonies? OK, your peers are not children of the 80s like me, ask around for something :) ), and have some chips and soda. Then when you bring some people in, ask them about what sorts of things they want to see, and plan your programming from there. You never know if people will want Cinema From Around The World, Classic Thrillers, Obscure Zombie Movies, Woody Allen Retrospective, or what :D

For inspiration, enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INSZq9pOvD0 ! One of the characters is based on a friend of mine :D

Yeah, I was thinking first to perhaps show something artsy but that everyone kinda knows: A Clockwork Orange;but it might scary some people away (for better or for worse). I don't want to scare people away, but I hope to have mostly the kind of people that truly appreciate cinema and not the ones who simply want to see the latest action flick on a bootleg DVD, for example.

On the other hand, we do need contributions. And our thought for it comes on charging the equivalent for half a US dollar per show, but I do worry it may seem we're inflexible to other folk's thoughts.

Treating with people is scary!

I have now a web series to fall in love, KP. THANKS! And Coco IS SO MUCH as some of my friends...

dirtsider
07-12-2010, 11:41 PM
If your local DVD store has a used DVD section, you might want to check it out to see what they have. Also try talking to the store owner and explain what you're trying to do. See if he or she will cut you a break. If not, well, see if your local library has DVD's they're taking out of circulation.

maxmordon
07-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Well, Charlotte (a classmate and friend who is also doing this a big deal) and I decided that if we don't hear of the AV department head by tomorrow we'll go ourselves with our proposition about what to do about it. Our topical priorities are:

1) The place (if is going to be a classroom or the studio, the studio would be great since it has non-school chairs, is dark and air conditioner)
2) The equipment (we really, really hope they have a video beam to lend us, not the same thing is if on a small TV)
3) The admin involvement (Will they have a veto on the movies we show or screenings we do in general? We already assume they won't give us any money).

maxmordon
07-19-2010, 06:09 AM
So, the AV department agreed to reunite with us to see what can be done about, wish us luck!

Mac H.
07-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Why not invite people who were involved with the film to come and give a quick (5 minute) introduction & talk to the film?

Of course you won't be getting the director/writer/producer in - but you'd be surprised who is around.

Remember you are pretty open about what to show so if you work the other way (find film people in your area to give a chat in exchange for free pizza) you'll be able to find stuff they'd been involved with.

Given the fact that there are a hundreds of people in the credits for each film, you could probably do that once a month as a 'special event' without running out of contacts.

It sounds odd, but I bet you'll find more people willing to see 'Crappy Direct to DVD Action flick 13' with one of the 300 uncredited stunt guys talking about it live compared to 'Classic Chinese Film'.

And there are an amazing number of people who are very low on the totem pole (but love their craft) who'd be happy to talk about it with film lovers. (As long as you pay for their parking and buy them a beer) In fact, in my experience, it is sometimes hard to get them to shut up about it.

Do a stuntie one month, a wardrobe lass (yes I'm being sexist) another, etc.

Good luck !

Mac

dgiharris
07-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Don't mean to sound condescending or ignorant but what exactly is your objective with this film club?

Who is the target audience?

What do you hope to accomplish?

What is the end goal?

Reason I ask is that I don't want you to make the mistake of trying to mesh everything together with an end result that doesn't really do justice to any of your goals.

-If the objective is to just put together a club for worshiping old movies that is one thing.
-If the club is the film equivalent to AW (creating directors and cinematographers) then that is quite another.
-If the goal is to actually create films on a semester basis, that is another.
-If the objective is to learn the latest and greatest techniques in film, that is yet another.

Figuring out the objective then ties into club requirements: membership limitations, required resources, equipment needs, funds to meet club needs, availability to the public, etc.

As far as generating money. Tried and true methods are: car washes, fund drives (selling cheap candy), charging members dues, auctions (from members donating stuff), and corporate sponsorship (though this is hard to get).

anyways, that's more or less all i've got

good luck

Mel...

Lady Ice
07-19-2010, 08:40 PM
For film clubs, well it depends. If you just want to watch some fun movies as a group, then choose what you think will be fun. If not, choose films that are likely to provoke debate, films you can actually talk about beyond saying, 'I liked it; I hated it'.

LOG
07-19-2010, 10:29 PM
My college has a sci-fi film club.
Very small, less than 5 people show up on a regular basis, I'm one of em.

We could watch good movies...and we do sometimes, stuff like Star Trek (the new one) and District 9.
But really, more than anything we go there to watch, laugh at, and make fun of crap movies. Like Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. The scene of the shark jumping up to take a chunk out of a plane is still one of the most hilarious moments we've had.
Bruce Campbell movies are a staple of the club as well.

maxmordon
07-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Don't mean to sound condescending or ignorant but what exactly is your objective with this film club?

Who is the target audience?

What do you hope to accomplish?

What is the end goal?

Reason I ask is that I don't want you to make the mistake of trying to mesh everything together with an end result that doesn't really do justice to any of your goals.

-If the objective is to just put together a club for worshiping old movies that is one thing.
-If the club is the film equivalent to AW (creating directors and cinematographers) then that is quite another.
-If the goal is to actually create films on a semester basis, that is another.
-If the objective is to learn the latest and greatest techniques in film, that is yet another.

Figuring out the objective then ties into club requirements: membership limitations, required resources, equipment needs, funds to meet club needs, availability to the public, etc.

As far as generating money. Tried and true methods are: car washes, fund drives (selling cheap candy), charging members dues, auctions (from members donating stuff), and corporate sponsorship (though this is hard to get).

anyways, that's more or less all i've got

good luck

Mel...

The club's goal is to have film-loving people to get together and enjoy movies, mostly films considered relevant and that have given something to the seventh art. The goal is not producing movies but learning, talking and enjoying.

We try to remain as simple as it can get about the equipment. We only want a classroom, a television set and a DVD player or alternatively, a projector and a DVD player. So far we're deeply considering the "once a week" approach.

maxmordon
07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
For film clubs, well it depends. If you just want to watch some fun movies as a group, then choose what you think will be fun. If not, choose films that are likely to provoke debate, films you can actually talk about beyond saying, 'I liked it; I hated it'.

This is something we have been thinking about it, we want something that leaves something to the audience and sparks talk but also entertaining stuff that you don't usually see around but artistically relevant.

maxmordon
07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Why not invite people who were involved with the film to come and give a quick (5 minute) introduction & talk to the film?

Of course you won't be getting the director/writer/producer in - but you'd be surprised who is around.

Remember you are pretty open about what to show so if you work the other way (find film people in your area to give a chat in exchange for free pizza) you'll be able to find stuff they'd been involved with.

Given the fact that there are a hundreds of people in the credits for each film, you could probably do that once a month as a 'special event' without running out of contacts.

It sounds odd, but I bet you'll find more people willing to see 'Crappy Direct to DVD Action flick 13' with one of the 300 uncredited stunt guys talking about it live compared to 'Classic Chinese Film'.

And there are an amazing number of people who are very low on the totem pole (but love their craft) who'd be happy to talk about it with film lovers. (As long as you pay for their parking and buy them a beer) In fact, in my experience, it is sometimes hard to get them to shut up about it.

Do a stuntie one month, a wardrobe lass (yes I'm being sexist) another, etc.

Good luck !

Mac

Yes! my uncle works on an advertisement agency and told me he knows some folk who can come and give a chat if we do to manage to get up the film club, this gives lots of hope to me.

maxmordon
07-21-2010, 07:49 AM
:(:(:(

BAD NEWS!!!

My companion on the project backed off, saying she had lost love to it and that she would get screwed by the administration again, so I went all alone to present the project and was too nervous to say something coherent and it was just too obvious to the director of the AV department and I feel I did not show him trustworthiness...

:(:(:(

He wants me to write him a concrete motion of what we want to do and are willing to do to show them to the head of the faculty, apparently there are other two groups who want to do this, but my partner (former partner?) wanted to be something we did by ourselves and I doubt I can do the whole thing by myself...

Kitty Pryde
07-21-2010, 07:58 AM
He wants me to write him a concrete motion of what we want to do and are willing to do to show them to the head of the faculty, apparently there are other two groups who want to do this, but my partner (former partner?) wanted to be something we did by ourselves and I doubt I can do the whole thing by myself...

But...you're much better at writing! You can write something really good and blow them all away. This is good news for you :D

PS Might you think of joining forces with these other people to make one big happy group?

maxmordon
07-21-2010, 08:17 AM
I think the head of the AV department was implying t make a big happy group, I know my friend doesn't want that and have us in charge for once... I just feel I disappoint everyone all the time! Why I must be so well-liked by everyone???

narselon
07-21-2010, 08:54 AM
From the perspective of the school, it would seem to make no sense to approve of a small selective group. Why should they provide you with facilities and equipment to a group of five, with limited potential for growth, (thus limiting your overall usefulness as a service to the campus) when there is an option of establishing a larger club? I know there may be a desire to have it be your own thing, but is there a point in gaining official recognition for what you could do privately if you're going to exclude others from the process? I'd suggest to at least meet with the other parties interested and share your vision of the club and what purpose it might serve. There's a chance that since you are all fans of film that there may be a common goal amongst the group. Even if the group becomes too broad in scope for your liking you can still create a subdivision within the group for your desired genre.

As for the motion of intent, a lot of school clubs have constitutions posted online. A quick glance may give you an idea of what to say. The documents may also provide you with some thoughts on how to structure the group and make it cost effective.

Lady Ice
07-21-2010, 03:40 PM
This is something we have been thinking about it, we want something that leaves something to the audience and sparks talk but also entertaining stuff that you don't usually see around but artistically relevant.

There's a film called 'The Room' which has gained cult status for being absolutely terrible. You know like when you watch Roky Horror and you do actions like holding up newspapers? Apparantly there's showings where they do that.

Lady Ice
07-21-2010, 03:41 PM

There's a film called 'The Room' which has achieved cult status for being absolutely terrible. You know how they have screenings of Rocky Horror where you do actions like holding up a newspaper? Apparantly they do that for 'The Room'.

maxmordon
07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Yes, Mr. Waseau's fame has reached my ears through my friend Emma from Texas, partner in the love of bad movies. But first the club must be set up and then we'll have good movies and then we can infiltrate some MST3K fun... "snickers".

I spoke again with the AV head department, he gave me a lot of trust considering I was capable for the club, if/when its get made since I shown a clear dedication and love of cinema. :)