Breaking into a military base

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
My new project is a YA Sci-fi/adventure. A little background: future based. Earth discovers a new planet that has its own sun, moon, and an atmosphere identical to Earth, so the UN and NASA sends scientists, military, and civilians (mostly very young children) to study and inhabit the new planet. Years later (this is where the story starts) a hand-picked group plans an invasion of Earth's military/science/political base located ON the planet to gain their freedom.

Shoo, okay, NOW to the help :D

I have no idea where to begin with the invasion. I know practically nothing about military bases, so what would I be looking at as far as security goes? Communications? Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there have been several instances where youths have found ways inside military bases... I remember it happened more than once at several posts I was stationed at, notably Rucker, Hood, and Campbell. So it seems there's a precedence for being able to gain access, but these folks didn't run in shooting. Start something up and you'll have MPs and SRT on hand pretty quick.

kaitiepaige17

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was planning on it being a very stealthy entrance. How are the buildings laid out? Is there some way I can find out online? That's my biggest issue; I don't know what exactly is IN a military base, never being in the military.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I can give you a ton of info about one from the 60's. I don't recall when they closed it, but you can see it online now. It was very secure -- weapons were made and stored there. I don't know if that's good or bad for your story. PM me as I'll see my 'source' today ;)

IGLOOGREENHOUSE

Registered
Reaction score
Have the rebels have a inside man who opens the back door for them.

kappapi99

Registered
Reaction score
Every military base is different. There is no standard, "one size fits all" type of layout. For an army base you would have barracks, headquarters, tennant commands, a post exchange, commissary, shooting range, some housing, a chapel and a BOQ (Bachelor Officers Quarters).

Security also varies from base to base and what the Force Protection Alert Level is set at.

KP

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And if the Earth-run base isn't aware that there's a 'native' independence movement, there may not be much security at all, because all the inhabitants are part of the same Earth-originating group. "Theý" are all "Us".
Unless when the first colonists got there, they found indigenous life, that now wants to be free of all Earth influences?

kaitiepaige17

Registered
Reaction score
And if the Earth-run base isn't aware that there's a 'native' independence movement, there may not be much security at all, because all the inhabitants are part of the same Earth-originating group. "Theý" are all "Us".
Unless when the first colonists got there, they found indigenous life, that now wants to be free of all Earth influences?

This is what I was playing with; trying to decided whether to have strict security or not based on the fact that "they" are "us." I know I need some, or what kind of action story would that be?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Security that was theoretically strict, but has gotten lax over time. Er, how much time? Decades, centuries? Gate guards that are pretty much ceremonial, cameras that are no longer properly maintained, people are supposed to sign in/sign out, but it's waived down to waving them in. There are big high fences, but everyone knows where the gaps are. There's a crack defense team that's supposed to be alert for intrusions, but it's been so long that they are routinely set to other minor tasks or drills to keep them busy. The guard dogs died off. Maybe a couple of new guys or keeners are on the ball, but the other troops tend to mock them, because what are they guarding against, everyone knows that there are no threats out there.
Heck, the local families shop on base, because the import taxes are lower. Maybe there's a market sprawled right at the gates, local products for import stuff. The kids use the base rec facilities for big events.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It really depends on the alert status. I went to England with the military in the early '90s and it those bases were pretty secure, in Canada and the US though you could break in more easily than Mexicans cross the border (but only because there's less walking involved). As long as you looked like you belonged (right physique, attitude and haircut) you could go to pretty much any unrestricted part of the base you wanted and nobody would notice for a while. The big trick once you got on the base would be to know how to act so it seemed like you belong.

Sam M

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what level of security the base has. If it's a top-secret officially-denied base conducting illicit operations, the security will be very heavy. The US government, for instance, hires sub-contractors as security for bases like Area 51. Usually it's a firm called "Wackenhut", and their security is top-of-the-range. The outskirts of the base will be patrolled by two HMMWVs (High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicles; otherwise known as "Humvees"). Both of them will have gunners operating the machine gun affixed to the back of the Humvee. It's the patrol's job to make sure no-one can approach the base without authorisation.

The base itself will have watchtowers. Usually one in each corner. The guards in these will be armed with fully-automatic machine guns, usually a FN P90 which has a blazing rate-of-fire of 900 rounds per minute. Their job will be to tackle anyone who breaches the perimeter patrols.

The base itself will be secured behind a fence, usually ten feet tall with a row of razor-wire along the top. In some extreme cases, the fence will be electrocuted. Warning signs will always exist in this case. Inside the base will be a phalanx of highly-trained ex-Special-Forces soldiers in high-grade body armour carrying more P90s. This is your main problem. These guys are the backup-backup, and they do not take kindly to intruders on their facility. Their positions and movements will be dictated by the base commander. He sits in his chair in the surveillance room and watches the various cameras around the base. The problem is that he knows exactly where you're going before you do. You might want to consider neutralising the cameras around the base before attempting to break-in.

This is how I'd do it: I'd have a team of men ready to storm the building. I'd place two snipers on the northern and southern sides, one thousand yards away from the building so the patrolling Humvees can't see them. First port of call would be to remove the patrolling Humvees. Simultaneous fire from both snipers to take out the drivers and their gunners. Since the base is over one thousand yards away, the sound of the rifle will never carry that far. Which means your men retain the element of surprise.

Next, the snipers will take out the watchtower guards. This is where the shit hits the fan. It won't be long until their bodies are discovered, and then you have a problem. This is where your guys start to charge towards the facility, only to be met by the phalanx of soldiers. While your ten guys engage their ten guys, the leader of your group slips quietly away and finds the surveillance room and the base commander. He takes the commander hostage and uses him to convince the other soldiers to put down their rifles. When they do, your guys blow them away.

Hey presto, you have access to a military base.

Hope this helps.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
If its at standard security, they'll just be looking for anything suspicious.

so the key for your characters is to not look suspicious.

I heard about a military base, I believe in the Philippines, where a group of men dressed up like officers, drove a truck into the base, unloaded half the armory into the truck and drove out.

Since they looked like they belonged, no one thought to question it until they were half an hour gone.

So they'd put on a military uniform, and just stroll on in. There's a good chance it'd work if they aren't doing anything.

Now once they set off whatever plan, then there will be trouble.

Edit: Oh, I did hear about it. But it was in Malaysia, not the Philippines. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/818403.stm

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I heard about a military base, I believe in the Philippines, where a group of men dressed up like officers, drove a truck into the base, unloaded half the armory into the truck and drove out.

Edit: Oh, I did hear about it. But it was in Malaysia, not the Philippines. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/818403.stm

Well that sort of thing really doesn't happen to competent forces. I think he's talking about that kind. If you're dealing with incompetent security there's not much drama.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Well that sort of thing really doesn't happen to competent forces. I think he's talking about that kind. If you're dealing with incompetent security there's not much drama.

Granted, in an American base with our strange ideas about the fully vs semi-auto and gun on military bases, it'll be strange if anyone is trying to get the arms without authorization.

But if people think they're seeing what they should be seeing, then no little red flags go off and you can stroll on by just fine. However, be sure your story is subtle but not too subtle.

One like "Oh we're meeting Mary" when the guy asking is out to meet up with Mary too can have all sorts of backfire for it.

There are several examples of it on this page.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was planning on it being a very stealthy entrance. How are the buildings laid out? Is there some way I can find out online? That's my biggest issue; I don't know what exactly is IN a military base, never being in the military.

It depends on the base. The big US bases are self contained cities. Once a soldier gets there he or she really never has to go out to town. They have libraries, churches, rec-halls, movie theaters, stores, auto shops, gas stations, hospitals, housing. Civilians work at the bases. Of course you also have whatever is needed for the principle mission of the base. Right outside the base are usually convenient stores, gas stations and so on for military and civilian personnel, and at the entrance of the base is a guard box, where they allow you on or off. You generally need a pass. Getting a car bumper sticker is tricky-- but you could take advantage of a retiree, and steal his.