PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James going to Miami

Eddyz Aquila
07-09-2010, 05:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/lebron-james-says-he-will-join-miami-heat-070810

So that settles it. Super trio in Miami to dominate the NBA.

Any NBA/basketball fans around here?

Haggis
07-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Not any more.

robeiae
07-09-2010, 05:23 PM
MMMBWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

sorry about that.

Bubastes
07-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I talked to some of my Cleveland friends yesterday. Their response: at least he didn't go to Chicago. Not sure what that means, but there you go.

Jcomp
07-09-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm a fan. Should be fun, though I wish he'd gone to Chicago instead. Would have been better / more interesting for the league to have a pair of powerhouses in the East that could duke it out for years to come. Still a possibility, but Chicago needs a really good shooting guard and for Derrick Rose to make the leap from "potential superstar" to bonafide superstar.

It's been interesting to see many Cleveland fans and ownership flying off the handle to demonize the man they loved and hoped would stay as recently as 24-hours ago. Suddenly he's "overrated" and a "quitter." If you really thought that, then why would you want him back anyway?

robeiae
07-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Suddenly he's "overrated" and a "quitter." If you really thought that, then why would you want him back anyway?
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I heard about "the Letter."

Eddyz Aquila
07-10-2010, 02:05 AM
:D

mscelina
07-10-2010, 02:10 AM
Pfft. Horse puckey.

Lebron James is going to Miami for less money because he wants to be on a winning team. Cleveland has never provided him with other players who could take up some of the slack--they sat on their asses and expected him to win all by himself against TEAMS.

Personally, I'm glad for Lebron James. As for the squawking currently going on in the state of Ohio, I have little tolerance for it. If the sports franchises in this state actually want to win (which seems unlikely judging for the abyssmal front offices of every franchise in Ohio) then they need to do what it takes to insure those victories--you know, putting together TEAMS instead of one-man-shows.

Good for Lebron. I hope he gets his ring.

Eddyz Aquila
07-10-2010, 02:37 AM
They have Antawn, they have Shaq (old, but he still goes), Big Z, Jamarion Moon, Mo Mo (Williams), Telfair and Varejao...That seems like a decent team, and if they actually work like a REAL TEAM, then you have LeBron in the leading role, Zydrunas keeping the defence and the rest passing around.

But it turns out it never worked that way. Cleveland never had a good coach to begin with.

scope
07-10-2010, 06:34 AM
I'm a big hoops fan who's disgusted with the attitude and posture of most of today's "dream" players, particularly James, the self proclaimed "King" of the Hill. I really didn't need a one hour show-and a show it was-to find out the team from who he will make billions of dollars in the next few years. Nice of him to give the proceeds to The Boys and Girls Club, but he could have done that with the change in his pocket and without the fanfare. For those of you who are old enough, can you imagine the laughter over this fiasco from the greats of the past? And I don't even mean a long time ago. For instance, can you imagine Bill Russell, Larry Bird, and Magic Johnson having secret meetings to determine how and where as a group they could make the most money? Man, they wouldn't even talk to each other, much less call themselves "King". These three and a slew of others could do more and accomplish more than "King" James and his posse will ever be able to do.

robeiae
07-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Well, James took a 30 million dollar hit by choosing Miami, so I hardly think the plan was about making the most money. And in the days of Magic and Bird, there was no salary cap, thus LA and Boston were free to stock up on all the talent. Seriously, look at those squads. Who was gonna sign them away? The Clippers? Or maybe the Bullets...

That said, I agree about the one hour special.

Jcomp
07-11-2010, 04:51 AM
They have Antawn, they have Shaq (old, but he still goes), Big Z, Jamarion Moon, Mo Mo (Williams), Telfair and Varejao...That seems like a decent team.

It's not though. Literally none of the above guys could start on the Lakers or Celtics, and would be lucky to crack the starting lineup for the Suns and Magic. Antawn or Shaq could maybe crack the starting lineup for the Spurs. Maybe. The second best player behind Lebron for the Cavs last year would be the third or even fourth best player on the Oklahoma City Thunder. So basically, no one who started for the Cavs besides Lebron last year could have started or been a major factor on a championship caliber squad.

The reason why Cleveland fans are so angry says it all. Without Lebron, this is a lottery team. Not even decent. And we'll see how "loyal" the hometown fans are when this team is limping along to a 30 - 52 record.

And let's be real here, the "Summer of 2010" has been hyped up by the media for over two years now, specifically geared toward where would Lebron go. So A) Cleveland has seen this coming for years and didn't have any sort of backup plan? Their bad. B) Clevelnad blaming Lebron for the 1-hour special is like a parent blaming their child for being spoiled rotten. They put up an enormous poster in his honor where he's striking a suspiciously Christ-like pose, ordained him a "King" and happily played along with the whole "Witnesses" promotion that made him seem like some sort of Messiah. And now they're calling him a narcissist? Gee, I wonder why that might be...

Ken
07-11-2010, 05:03 AM
... keep hearing about this guy on the news. Excitement is astounding. He must be a very great player! Probably on steroids though like most athletes these days. So not much to be enthused about for me at least. I'll stick to my old sports heroes like Wilt Chamberlain.

Silver King
07-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Geez, Ken, you need to trade in that old black and white TV for one of those newfangled color versions they have out these days. And don't forget to adjust the rabbit ears for a clearer picture.

Ken
07-11-2010, 05:53 AM
... my gripe ain't with technology. It's with steroids.

Silver King
07-11-2010, 05:58 AM
... my gripe ain't with technology. It's with steroids.
I need a moment to full digest the irony of that statement. ;)

Ken
07-11-2010, 06:05 AM
... glad at least that I got you to smile, even if it is a sneering one ;-)
(And I do see your point. Food for thought.)

Silver King
07-11-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm just pulling your chain, Ken, gently tugging when I saw it out there swaying.

As for the new King James version of the basketball bible, only time will tell whether any of the self-proclaimed prophets are correct in their visions, no more than one or two seasons at most.

Jcomp
07-11-2010, 06:22 AM
I think Miami makes the Finals this year. Won't be easy, but I think they're in. Can they beat whoever meets them there (almost certainly the Lakers unless someone like the Spurs or Phoenix makes a late addition in a trade or free agency) is the question.

poetinahat
07-11-2010, 06:36 AM
I think the Cleveland fans deserve a little slack. Has any other city been more disappointed, more screwed, in sports over the past thirty years? Byner's fumble, Modell's move, the Tribe, (eta: and the ongoing Browns saga: the string of failed 'franchise' quarterbacks and savior coaches, Kellen Winslow being stupid, getting injured, then leaving) and now this. Who wouldn't be bitter? They've been hurting a long, long time. Agreed, the sour grapes are unbecoming. But man oh man, they've gotten so close, had so many hopes dashed. And they get hammered simply for Being Cleveland. Spare a thought, hey?

That said, the Cavs can either complain or figure out how to build a winning team that stars want to join.

As for James, it's a business. So what. But if he does win now, it won't be his legacy. It'll be what he did with an All-Star team. Now he may be remembered as great, but never on a Jordan level. He's got too much help now to claim that. But again, so what. Winners write history.

I saw that he called this the 'challenge' he was looking for. Riiiiiight; he -had- a challenge. What he opted for is shooting fish in a barrel.

eta: and, yeah, it's a business, and fair enough. Good on the Heat for putting this team together. But I might just indulge in some schadenfreude if the Heat don't win.

Jcomp
07-11-2010, 09:12 AM
As for James, it's a business. So what. But if he does win now, it won't be his legacy. It'll be what he did with an All-Star team. Now he may be remembered as great, but never on a Jordan level. He's got too much help now to claim that. But again, so what. Winners write history.

I saw that he called this the 'challenge' he was looking for. Riiiiiight; he -had- a challenge. What he opted for is shooting fish in a barrel.

Warning... hoops rant on the way...

The whole Jordan comparison is just an example of people remembering more recent history than the full scope of the game. Superteams were what made the NBA great. Wilt Chamberlain played on a team with Jerry West and Elgin Baylor. Magic Johnson played with the best center of all time and James Worthy. Bird played with four other hall of famers at one point in his career. Julius Ervin played with Moses Malone. None of those guys have tarnished legacies due to playing alongside other legends.

The league spent more than half the decade trying to christen the next Jordan. Kobe, Vince Carter, T-Mac, on and on. The problem was, Jordan was like a freak experiment that can't be duplicated. Super talented, some reasonably imitable signature moves and moments (as classically displayed in this commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A37mSDAIBko)), good looking, good name, good voice, and supremely successful because he ALSO had a hall of famer and top 50 player in Pippen at his side, plus, honestly, the league was at a downturn during Jordan's prime compared to the teams that graced the league in the 80's.

It was a bad look for the league to be driven by single-superstar teams, and it showed in the declining ratings. Then the KG trade gave Boston a monster trio (no one knocked KG for wanting to bail out on Minnesota, I guess there's a time limit on how long you have to suffer with a dismal franchise before people give you a pass?), forcing everyone else in the league who wanted to compete to do what they could to assemble their own star studded squad to match. Thus the Lakers bring in Gasol to join Kobe and steer him toward his path to the Hall, the Mavericks reach for Jason Kidd to join Dirk, the Suns reached for Shaq to join Amar'e and Nash, so on and so forth. Meanwhile the Cavs reached for an even older, slower and more rundown Shaq than the one who failed in Phoenix and... Antwan Jamison?

One of these things is not like the other.

The fact is, when the NBA was at its best it always had stacked teams, even back to the ridiculously overpowering Celtics team with Cousy, Havlicek, K.C. Jones and Bill Russel.

Lebron joining the Heat isn't as good for the league as if he had joined Chicago, because Bron + Rose + Boozer vs. Wade + Bosh for years to come would have been epic. But it's still better for the league than continuing to let its most talented player waste away on a team whose second best player isn't even identifiable and would have been coming off the bench for the Celtics, Lakers, Suns and Magic.

Chasing the "Jordan level" is like trying to chase Babe Ruth's legacy in baseball or trying to achieve Muhammad Ali's greatness above winning a championship. It's a foolish endeavor. Lebron failed the Jordan test as soon as he lost in the Finals, and really just by having guys like Kobe and D-Wade in the league with him at the same time. That kind of success requires a perfect storm that it's ridiculous to try to duplicate. The better option is to just focus on winning, which is what we bash athletes for losing sight of all the time anyway.

robeiae
07-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Magic Johnson played with the best center of all time and James Worthy. Bird played with four other hall of famers at one point in his career.Yeah, people really do forget sometimes. I noted this above, that these pasts greats were more than happy to be on a stacked team. Those Lakers-Celtics series involved EIGHT hall-of-famers on the court, along with a couple on the bench (Riley and Jones), not to mention some other top notch talent. And look what it took to move these power houses out: Houston's Twin Towers, the Detroit Piston's Bad Boys, etc.

Well said, Jcomp.

robeiae
05-23-2011, 07:25 PM
I think Miami makes the Finals this year.

Startin' to look like you were right. Yes, it's only 2-1 right now, but Chicago has run into what has--imo--been building all year. Bosh dominated on both ends of the court last night. And Wade had a bad game, while James was pretty good. Chicago has no solution if Rose isn't having a great game. Boozer played well, but that's not enough.

Three guys, all of whom can dominate both ends of the court...and now they're gellin' (like Magellan). Finals, here we come.

And on a personal note, I think I'll get some tickets to the finals if the Heat make it. Weirdly, that will mean that I've been to a World Series ('97, '03), a Stanley Cup final ('96), and an NBA final (missed the last one), all in Miami. I say "weirdly" because when I came here in '84, none of those sports had teams in Miami, which was Dolphin town all the way. Who would have thought the other sports would outshine football in Miami over all these years?

Jcomp
05-24-2011, 01:59 AM
Yeah, it's shaping up to be a Heat / Mavericks rematch in the Finals. My heart is actually rooting for OKC and Chicago. I like those young scrappy teams. But my head is saying that neither of those squads has the offensive firepower or poise to come back in either series. Miami's three, like you said, can dominate at either end of the court, and that is proving too much for Chicago to handle, and the only person stopping Dirk these days is himself. The guy can't be guarded...

Rob, if you do go to the Finals, all I ask is that you do not create one of those lame forced-acronym signs solely designed to get the cameras to give you a quick bit of screen time.

robeiae
05-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I still have my sign from the '96 Cup finals:

Goodnight and God Bless
Sportscenter is Next

robeiae
05-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Okay, last night was just sick. Chicago's up by 12 with three minutes to go, should be game over. This is, after all, the number one seed with the league MVP. The Heat goes on an 18-3 run. All points courtesy of James, Wade, and Bosh. Plus steals and blocks.

Looks like they've lived up to the hype.

Good luck, Mavs. You're gonna need it...

Jcomp
05-27-2011, 11:20 PM
I think the Mavs have enough firepower to put the Heat on their heels. Problem is, they don't match up too well defensively, particularly when the Heat roll out the James, Wade, Bosh, Haslem and Mike Miller lineup. Haslem and Bosh have just enough range to draw Tyson Chandler out of the lane, Haslem can physically frustrate (though not dominate) Dirk enough to make him expend energy on the defensive end of the floor (something OKC couldn't do at all). Maybe you can put Shawn Marion on Bosh, but there's still a height disadvantage there. I have no idea who Jason Kidd would guard. Deshaun Stevenson is a strong defender, but he can only guard one guy at a time, and he isn't going to keep either Lebron or Wade from getting their usual numbers--best he can do is keep one of them from going nuclear. Which still leaves the other guy...

That said, Miami hasn't faced anyone yet in the playoffs with the offensive prowess of the Mavs, and Dirk is all but unstoppable. Still, he's a big one vs. a big three (even though I still don't like putting Bosh on par with James and Wade, but he makes for a good "Pippen" to the other two's combined "Jordan"). Unless the Mavs can find a way to exploit Miami's lack of size the way the Bulls did at first (then failed to follow through on), it's going to be tough for them to win it all.

Right now I'm leaning toward Miami in 7. Should be a good series.

mscelina
05-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Isn't it football season yet?

*kicks disconsolately at the ESPN channels on the TV, which my TV won't be seeing against until August or so*

robeiae
05-28-2011, 12:17 AM
I have no idea who Jason Kidd would guard.Yeah, that's a major problem for the Mavs, right there. This isn't December, after all.

I know the pundits are pumping for a seven game series--and many are predicting Dallas to win--but I think people are fooling themselves. I think the Heat will be far looser than the Mavs from the opening tip. They--the Heat--were under serious pressure during the Bulls series. Now, the pressure flips.

Plus, the series opens in Miami. We're not a great sports town--I know that--but we love winners and we're as obnoxious as any place in the country when we think we have the best team.

My prediction: Heat in five.

Soccer Mom
05-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Mavs in 7.

robeiae
05-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Mavs in 7.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9gV5oWo2A

;)

Williebee
05-28-2011, 02:25 AM
Heat in six, and I'm sad typing it. I really want the Mavs to get the title, but Nowitzki would have to continue his performance as a dominator and Kidd would have to be the Kidd of a few years back, completing passes before anyone else on the floor knew the pass was there to make.

scope
05-28-2011, 04:11 AM
Dallas for sure, although I can see all the games (probably 6 or 7) coming down to the last 2 minutes. As good as are James, Wade, and Bosh, at times they have a tendency to "disappear" or disappoint. Bibby has become a liabiltiy. Dirk may be the best offensive player in the league and never disappears. And Kidd, in spite of his age, is still a force to reckon with. Dallas looks for Dirk to lead the way and I don't think he'll disappoint. It's his time.

Wayne K
05-28-2011, 05:05 AM
Mavericks in seven

robeiae
05-30-2011, 01:02 AM
I think the Mavs have enough firepower to put the Heat on their heels. Problem is, they don't match up too well defensively, particularly when the Heat roll out the James, Wade, Bosh, Haslem and Mike Miller lineup. Haslem and Bosh have just enough range to draw Tyson Chandler out of the lane, Haslem can physically frustrate (though not dominate) Dirk enough to make him expend energy on the defensive end of the floor (something OKC couldn't do at all). Maybe you can put Shawn Marion on Bosh, but there's still a height disadvantage there. I have no idea who Jason Kidd would guard. Deshaun Stevenson is a strong defender, but he can only guard one guy at a time, and he isn't going to keep either Lebron or Wade from getting their usual numbers--best he can do is keep one of them from going nuclear. Which still leaves the other guy...

That said, Miami hasn't faced anyone yet in the playoffs with the offensive prowess of the Mavs, and Dirk is all but unstoppable. Still, he's a big one vs. a big three (even though I still don't like putting Bosh on par with James and Wade, but he makes for a good "Pippen" to the other two's combined "Jordan"). Unless the Mavs can find a way to exploit Miami's lack of size the way the Bulls did at first (then failed to follow through on), it's going to be tough for them to win it all.

Right now I'm leaning toward Miami in 7. Should be a good series.
Look Jcomp, someone's been stealin' your stuff:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/8186/five-easy-pieces-for-the-heat

With Haslem and Miller bookending the Big Three, Spoelstra bucks tradition. There’s no point guard. There’s no center. And evidently, there’s no mercy, either.

How has this five-man unit annihilated the competition?

Defensively, it is a machine -- both literally and figuratively. The Heat’s movements and rotations look so mechanical that it appears almost automated. Whenever a shot goes up, it is contested. Whenever a driving lane appears to open up, it is closed. Whenever help is needed, it is provided.

All in all, the Heat’s defensive efficiency with this lineup is a staggering 73.4 points allowed per 100 possessions. How suffocating is that? The Heat ranked as one of the top defenses in the league, but this unit has allowed nearly 25 points below the Heat's norm...

How about offensively? Yeah, the Heat are pretty good there, too. When they’re not running in transition off turnovers, the Heat space the floor with three shooters outside of Wade and James. When James or Wade penetrates into the teeth of the defense, that forces help defenders to pick their poison: leave a sharpshooter, or stay at home to prevent the kickout.

When you watch the film, you’ll notice that the Big Five unit doesn’t do anything magical from an X-and-O’s standpoint, but the offense remains destructively simple. The Heat plant Miller on the 3-point line, and unleash a barrage of pick-and-roll tandems. Wade-James. Wade-Haslem. Wade-Bosh. James-Bosh. James-Haslem. With two big men who wield automatic 15-footers, it’s an opposing defense’s nightmare. And with this lineup, the Heat have scored 15 points per 100 possessions more than they normally do.

Jcomp
05-30-2011, 01:48 AM
Look Jcomp, someone's been stealin' your stuff:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/8186/five-easy-pieces-for-the-heat

Ha. Yeah, the lineup with the big three, Haslem and Miller is the lineup Pat Riley dreamed of when he pulled all of this together. It's not the starting five, but it's the finishing five, and that's what really matters.

I like the Mavs overall as a team (except Jason Terry... fuck that guy) and don't want Miami to win mostly because I don't want to have to hear every analyst in the world complain even more (and erroneously) about how this team has "ruined the NBA forever" and/or will be completely unstoppable for as long as they're in existence. But I don't think this matchup bodes well for the Mavs. They've made it farther than I thought they would, though, so who knows?

robeiae
06-01-2011, 07:47 PM
So much for Terry being the game-changer off the bench. Zero points in the second half, shut down by James. Pretty good stuff. And Nowitzki's injured his finger (non-shooting hand, but still).

Looks just like the Heats-Celtics/Heat-Bulls series to me. Dallas doesn't have anything new, here. The Heat wins as long as they don't completely screw up.

Jcomp
06-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I really don't see an angle for Dallas, though it's still early. The Nowitzki injury is huge. Because they really need him to go for 30-40 to have the best chance, especially if their bench gets outplayed by Miami's. That was supposed to be the Mavs one clear advantage: depth. If they can't get that and/or some Superman performances from Dirk, they're completely screwed.

playground
06-03-2011, 06:41 AM
This should be a very interesting series. I didn't see either team in the finals honestly.

rugcat
06-03-2011, 08:00 AM
The Heat wins as long as they don't completely screw up.Quite a game 2. Did they? Or did Dallas show us something?

robeiae
06-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Quite a game 2. Did they? Or did Dallas show us something?
Game of runs. It was a lot of fun to watch.

But yeah, the Heat got lazy and gave Dallas the opening...which Dallas took and used, to their credit.

The series still looks the same to me, though. But who really knows, aside from Charles Barkley?

Jcomp
06-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Heat screwed up. Lebron and Wade started playing HORSE. And of course Dallas played their part and made buckets. An away team has won a game: we now have a series!

Jcomp
06-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Quality basketball. Wow. I really thought Dirk's shot was going to drop to tie it up and send it to OT. That one-legged fade-away is what he does. I hope my prediction is at least half-right and this series goes 7 because this is entertaining.

robeiae
06-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Wow. Every game is going pretty much the same way, now.

Will the rest come down to whomever makes the last shot, as well?

The NBA couldn't have asked for more than this.

Soccer Mom
06-09-2011, 12:29 AM
I think this is going down as an historic series. Could the games be any more exciting? They keep me afraid to go for a potty break. I just sit there biting my nails and waiting for the buzzer.

robeiae
06-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Last night was great stuff. Now the Mavs are in the driver's seat, thanks to some lights-out shooting in the first half, I think. And doing it again at the end of the game. When the Heat came back, I really thought Dallas was spent and would fold. Awesome.

PorterStarrByrd
06-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I think the only advantage the Mavs have is their emotional consistancy .. maturity. They also have a shorter argument about who their go-to guys are at crunch time.

While the only credit I give to James is that he was the bait for the other signings, this is a hell of a lineup with but a small window of opportunity for Miami. It will age/implode quickly.

I picked the Mavs in six but it will probaly take them 7 now

cray
06-10-2011, 05:31 PM
They also have a shorter argument about who their go-to guys are at crunch time.

hehehhe that's true.

fun game to watch.
i still, however, feel like the heat can take the series.
not that i'd like that,.......

Williebee
06-11-2011, 01:57 AM
I picked the Heat in six, and am VERY happy to be wrong. :)

Williebee
06-13-2011, 06:45 AM
105-95 Dallas

Dallas in 6.

And a whole different stars of the game in Barea and Terry.

(ETA: Terry gets the Player of the Game honor.)

A great series.

Haggis
06-13-2011, 07:07 AM

ladyleeona
06-13-2011, 07:08 AM
I picked the Heat in six, and am VERY happy to be wrong. :)

I'm happy you were wrong as well :)

Soccer Mom
06-13-2011, 07:11 AM
Mavs in 7.

I'm very happy to be one game off. Dirk deserved this so much. He had an off night, but he's carried this team for years. So, so glad for him.

Jcomp
06-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Very good series. Was hoping for a 7th game since... you know... the NBA season might not even exist next year, but it is what it is. The Mavs came through and got buckets when they needed to. Execution over talent.

ladyleeona
06-13-2011, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't call it execution over talent; more like role-players stepping up over flash. JMO.

Regardless of how I feel about the Heat, I'm a little surprised over their collapse. In my mind, the lack of heart was appalling.

Jcomp
06-13-2011, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't call it execution over talent; more like role-players stepping up over flash. JMO.

Well... same thing really. I mean the Heat had the superior talent when it came down to crunch time, 5 on 5 basketball. Two of the top 5 players on the planet, a quality All-Star in Bosh (who actually ended up being the most consistent and reliable of the "big three" tonight), and solid role players in Haslem and Mike Miller. Even Mario Chalmers stepped up during stretches early in the series. In the clutch though, Lebron had turnovers, Wade dribbled one off of his foot for no reason at all, Chalmers totally botched a two-on-one break, so on and so forth. They went through several stretches where they over-passed like they were all too shook to shoot. They were apparently trying to be "unselfish" but it really just looked like they were scared to be the guy who misses in a close game. They repeatedly didn't run anything resembling a called play. Defensively, they blew assignments and gave the Mavs open looks all over the place and couldn't grab a defensive rebound when they needed to mount a comeback. That doesn't even go into all the missed free throws.

Dallas role players were able to shine because they executed the offense and utilized the guys properly. Solid coaching and good execution.

rugcat
06-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Dallas role players were able to shine because they executed the offense and utilized the guys properly. Solid coaching and good execution.There's a lot to be said for being a veteran team. The Mav's have been together for a while. Miami's big three are all-world -- but it's the first year they played together. That's why they stumbled in the beginning of the season.

And that's why, at crunch time, they didn't execute -- not lack of heart, certainly not lack of talent, not even choking under pressure. They just didn't have the time under their belts. Just lost to a team, and that's the operative word. I wouldn't want to bet against the Heat next year.

I was glad not to see a game seven. It's awfully hard to win a game seven on the road, no matter what.

ladyleeona
06-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Defensively, they blew assignments and gave the Mavs open looks all over the place and couldn't grab a defensive rebound when they needed to mount a comeback.

Which is mainly what I'm referring to as 'flash'. You don't have to be super talented to block out for a rebound, you just have to want the damn ball enough to get your ass in the paint. There were several times tonight when the key was packed with blue jerseys, offensively and defensively, and not a heat rebounder anywhere in the vicinity. That's a failure in the want-to department.

Defensively, Miami sucked it up, but I don't feel like the failing can be attributed to being a newly put together team--they've played nearly a hundred games together. Dallas is a good offensive team, but seriously. Lots of time the Heat's help D didn't even friggin' exist. Either we've got a failure in the fundamental department, or the want-to department. It's one or the other, because there's no lack of talent on that team. (Or you say Dallas is just that much better, which is not something I personally believe.)

But then, I have trouble finding positives (beyond DWade's general on-court badassness, that is) in a team whose stars talk crap in pregame, and then can't hack it when comes down to it. But maybe that's just me.

Regardless, it was a very entertaining series. Better than the last few I've watched.

robeiae
06-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Meh. Miami "hacked it" all the way to the finals. And most games could have gone either way, so they hardly collapsed on the court. And I'm not sure how much Miami talks, beyond anyone else. The storyline--into the future--is that Miami is the Evil Empire, and that's what we're gonna hear, one way way or the other.

But as to the series, Dallas played better and won. Simple, at the end of the day. But it was fun. Congrats to the Mavs.

Jamesaritchie
06-15-2011, 03:21 AM
Which is mainly what I'm referring to as 'flash'. You don't have to be super talented to block out for a rebound, you just have to want the damn ball enough to get your ass in the paint. There were several times tonight when the key was packed with blue jerseys, offensively and defensively, and not a heat rebounder anywhere in the vicinity. That's a failure in the want-to department.

Defensively, Miami sucked it up, but I don't feel like the failing can be attributed to being a newly put together team--they've played nearly a hundred games together. Dallas is a good offensive team, but seriously. Lots of time the Heat's help D didn't even friggin' exist. Either we've got a failure in the fundamental department, or the want-to department. It's one or the other, because there's no lack of talent on that team. (Or you say Dallas is just that much better, which is not something I personally believe.)

But then, I have trouble finding positives (beyond DWade's general on-court badassness, that is) in a team whose stars talk crap in pregame, and then can't hack it when comes down to it. But maybe that's just me.

Regardless, it was a very entertaining series. Better than the last few I've watched.

As a team, Dallas is just flat better in every way.

robeiae
06-22-2012, 09:16 PM
The times they are a-changin', eh?

Miami in five and last night was a walkover. Scoring for the Heat was spread out, with six players in double figures. James was the star, no doubt, but Bosh, Wade, Chalmers and especially Miller were key.

Now, that's two years at Miami two trips to the Finals, and one ring.

But as I said a year ago, they are still the Evil Empire. Tough to bitch about their talent and toughness now, though...

Jcomp
06-22-2012, 09:57 PM
I was glad to see Lebron get a ring. From game 4 in Indiana onward he owned these playoffs.

I'm hoping... hoping that the story can move on from hating to Lebron to appreciating how great the NBA is right now. Powherhouse team in the east, powerhouse team out west (OKC is young, a couple years and they'll be stomping on everyone if they can keep that core together). Potential powerhouses lurking about (although the East is Miami's to own for the immediate future unless Chicago can give Rose a legitimate second option... that Boozer contract is a hideous albatross around their necks though). The NBA works so much better when it's top-heavy. Parity schmarity, I love the shape of the Association right now, Stern's mismanagement of PR controversises notwithstanding.

robeiae
06-22-2012, 10:00 PM
(OKC is young, a couple years and they'll be stomping on everyone if they can keep that core together)That may be a big "if," unfortunately.

But this year's "Dream Team" might actually be one again. Finally.

Jcomp
06-22-2012, 10:23 PM
That may be a big "if," unfortunately.

But this year's "Dream Team" might actually be one again. Finally.

I'm hoping OKC can keep Harden and Ibaka. If they have to choose one or the other... I think I'd pick Ibaka and just make him go work with Olajuwon for a summer like everyone does when they need to develop a post game. Harden's still young and talented, but his game alongside Durant and Westbrook's is redundant. Then perhaps consider bringing in a solid, affordable point guard and having him split time with Westbrook. I love Russell's game, but he probably shouldn't be bringing the rock down the court every time he's in the game.

But you're right about Miami. They just need to hit the refresh button. I didn't understand it at all this year when people like John Barry were saying Chicago was the team to beat going into the post-season, before Rose's injury. They're a great looking regular season team, but given that we're in the midst of a resurgence of super-teams, you can't really contend with Rose (a point guard no less) as your only reliable scoring option. That's the whole reason Lebron left Cleveland. You need help. The East is Miami's to dominate so long as they stay healthy season to season, unless Chicago brings in a legitimate 2nd option (Rip Hamilton? Seriously?), or Indiana does something halfway miraculous (bring in Eric Gordon, hope Roy Hibbert has an astronomical improvement, hope Granger reverts to his 2008 self, hope Tanya Harding's husband hops out of the shadows and kneecaps Lebron in a crucial playoff game). Boston's probably going to bottom out, likewise Orlando, the Knicks are hopeless, Philly and Atlanta are pretenders. Granted, it's a deep draft, so some teams might make some significant leaps depending on who they pick, but I don't see any reason for Miami to not make the Finals for the next two-to-four years straight.

robeiae
03-21-2013, 06:09 AM

robeiae
03-23-2013, 09:37 PM

Haggis
03-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Come on. It was against Detroit. That doesn't count.

robeiae
03-23-2013, 10:11 PM
The Red Wings would probably have made a better go of it, eh?

Haggis
03-23-2013, 10:12 PM
The Red Wings would probably have made a better go of it, eh?
Easily. Or if the Pistons had Prince Fielder for a center.

On the other hand, my Wolverines are kicking ass.

So far.

robeiae
03-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Go Canes!

Haggis
03-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Go Canes!
*checks brackets*

They can win three more times. That's it.

robeiae
03-26-2013, 05:49 AM

*walks away whistling*

Haggis
03-26-2013, 06:24 AM
You're doomed. My brackets are screwed. I can concentrate now and end this travesty.

Jcomp
03-27-2013, 01:48 AM
I'm really hoping the streak lasts long enough to get to San Antonio. That's my Finals preview anyway, and I think it'll give the Spurs some good national exposure so they can hopefully start shaking that "boring" label that's been erroneous for the last three years now.

robeiae
05-01-2013, 03:11 AM
That's my Finals preview anyway...

Looking that way, already. Spurs-Heat will be fun. And unless one or the other really lays some eggs, I can't imagine another scenario right now.

Jcomp
05-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Well, there's always the possibility for the annual "Random Weird Manu Ginobili Injury" that can derail that matchup.

robeiae
06-22-2013, 05:15 AM
So...three years at Miami, three trips to the finals, two rings, two season MVPs and two finals MVPs.

Tough to see this as anything other than a huge success, both for James and the Heat. 'Course, Arison proved he was willing to use his deep pockets.

It was a great finals, imo. A couple of the games--especially the last--were real treats. And now, there really is no question that the Heat is the alpha dog in the NBA, with all the hate that goes with it. And that's a good thing for the league, no doubt.

Go Heat! :D

Haggis
06-22-2013, 06:18 AM
So...three years at Miami, three trips to the finals, two rings, two season MVPs and two finals MVPs.

Tough to see this as anything other than a huge success, both for James and the Heat. 'Course, Arison proved he was willing to use his deep pockets.

It was a great finals, imo. A couple of the games--especially the last--were real treats. And now, there really is no question that the Heat is the alpha dog in the NBA, with all the hate that goes with it. And that's a good thing for the league, no doubt.

Go Heat! :D
LeBron who?

robeiae
06-22-2013, 07:40 PM
How are the Wings doing this year?

Haggis
06-22-2013, 07:57 PM
:e2moon:

robeiae
06-01-2014, 12:20 AM
And we're back for round four.

The Heat are in the finals for the fourth straight year after stomping the life out of Indiana last night. They'll play OKC or San Antonio, a good series either way I think.

zerosystem
06-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Looks like LeBron couldn't take the heat in San Antonio. Spurs just 3 wins away.

robeiae
06-09-2014, 09:05 PM
So are the Heat (just three wins away), as the Spurs home win streak comes to an end. ;)

But I expect this to be a good series no matter who wins. There was some high quality D being played last night and that's always fun--for me--to watch.

robjvargas
06-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Looks like LeBron couldn't take the heat in San Antonio. Spurs just 3 wins away.

LeBron is going down as a great player, no doubt about that. But any comparison to Michael Jordan took a huge hit that night.

Michael Jordan practically carried the Bulls through a championship game with a flu and 103-degree fever. He won that game almost single-handed.

This will always fall short of that.

zerosystem
06-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Spurs owned the Heat to take home the championship. Couldn't be happier.

RookieWriter
06-22-2014, 05:10 AM
Yep. Dull series. Heat got blown out in all four losses. Now there is talk about James going to the Clippers.

robeiae
06-24-2014, 07:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11127329/lebron-james-opt-contract-miami-heat

LeBron James' agent, Rich Paul, has informed the Miami Heat that James will exercise his early termination option and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Haggis
06-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Cleveland? :D

Thrillerlover
06-30-2014, 04:43 AM
The fact that Wade and Bosh also opted out seems to suggest that all of the big three will be back in Miami but under more manageable contracts so they can bring in a better supporting cast.

msza45
06-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Lebron is definitely staying in Miami. He is keenly aware how badly is move from Cleveland has tarnished his reputation. He won't make another switch unless things get wayyy worse in Miami.

robeiae
06-30-2014, 09:04 PM
The fact that Wade and Bosh also opted out seems to suggest that all of the big three will be back in Miami but under more manageable contracts so they can bring in a better supporting cast.Yep, looks that way.

rugcat
07-11-2014, 08:45 PM
LeBron announces he is returning to Cleveland.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/10/what-lebron-james-s-return-to-cleveland-would-mean-for-the-country-s-most-tortured-sports-city.html

RookieWriter
07-12-2014, 03:37 AM
I hated him because of what he did back in 2010 but now he is going back and trying to make it right. I have to say I am becoming a fan...

dantefrizzoli
09-24-2014, 05:32 AM
that's awesome, and yeah Im a fan as well!