cooeedownunder
07-09-2010, 02:44 PM
:D

cooeedownunder
07-09-2010, 02:47 PM
What spirits you wanting?

Eddyz Aquila
07-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Tequila on the rocks with lime, gracias.

;)

SaraP
07-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Will we need a dictionary for this thread? :D

cooeedownunder
07-10-2010, 01:44 AM
Just an interpreter.

veinglory
07-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Choice.

Xelebes
07-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Two four and some yuck. I'm feelin' a little loose tonight.

cooeedownunder
07-10-2010, 08:29 AM
What about a fluffy duck?

Cliff Face
07-10-2010, 10:35 AM
That dero hooligan thinks he's so sick, but we'll cane him good.

Yeah, even though I'm Australian, I know surprisingly little Aussie slang.

Did you know, Aussies wear thongs on their feet?

cooeedownunder
07-10-2010, 10:58 AM
My husband does, but I hate them LOL

As for slang - I'm not sure we all speak a great deal of slang as such, but the way we speak sounds like it because we leave off parts of our words sometimes, and possibly pronounces our words strangely to others and have different meanings for English words than say, the USA.

Ow you goin?

MissMacchiato
07-10-2010, 11:13 AM
lol... maaaaates :D

I'm not too bad s'arvo, thanks for asking!

Drink of preference will be a five seeds, ta muchly :)

Cliff Face
07-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Question: Do any Aussies on this board actually drink Fosters Beer?

I was surprised to learn that Pure Blonde (a low-carb beer) was made by Fosters. That's the only Fosters I've ever had... but apparently Fosters is the #1 Aussie beer overseas... go figure!

I'll have a Gin and Coke, thanks.

cooeedownunder
07-10-2010, 11:31 AM
lol... maaaaates :D

I'm not too bad s'arvo, thanks for asking!

Drink of preference will be a five seeds, ta muchly :)

Now I'm feeling old. What's a bloody five seeds?

MissMacchiato
07-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Nope, I do not drink Fosters.

I like loads of different beers, but primarily drink coopers green, corona, or whatever german stuff they've got on tap

MissMacchiato
07-10-2010, 11:32 AM
it's an apple cider made by toohey's extra dry!

http://www.beeradvice.com.au/wp-content/5-Seeds-Bottle1.jpg

It's really nice

cooeedownunder
07-10-2010, 11:35 AM

I was surprised to learn that Pure Blonde (a low-carb beer) was made by Fosters. That's the only Fosters I've ever had... but apparently Fosters is the #1 Aussie beer overseas... go figure!

Well, one of my friends, a girl, drinks beer and tooheys and my husband drinks VB.

I've relayed this a few times on AW over the past few years...but when I went to the USA, I drank Barcadi and lemonade...and when I was there, until I got use to saying Barcadi and 7UP, I was served Barcadi and lemon cordial LOL

cooeedownunder
07-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't mind the old Corona - and apparently we are the second largest beer drinkers in the world apart from the Germans.

cooeedownunder
07-10-2010, 11:42 AM

It might be because, at least by what my husband says, Fosters is the weaker beer or maybe he means lighter. Don't know if that is true, but he tells me that American beer and Fiji beers is not as heavy.

cooeedownunder
07-10-2010, 11:46 AM
This brings me to another thought...that a pub in The Rocks called the Lord Nelson use to have the best home brewed beer on tap and cheese and pickle platters a few years ago....yum, I'm off to have chinese now. :D

cooeedownunder
07-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Just found this place should anyone become thirsty. Who said everything is bigger and better in America :D

http://www.planbooktravel.com.au/businesses/qld/bundaberg/attractions/bondstore-the-home-of-bundaberg-rum/9000200_1.jpg

Xelebes
07-11-2010, 04:30 AM
What about a fluffy duck?

Nah, can't get that at the dep; it ain't good enough. Just give me something topped with 'toons and bake-apple.

scarletpeaches
07-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Adam Hills, please, the false leg packed with cans of XXXX.

Cliff Face
07-11-2010, 05:31 AM
:D

Elisabeth Bruce
07-12-2010, 03:37 AM
G'day all. Doesn't anybody drink Chateau Cardboard here? Red preferably, though...

Priene
07-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Well, the Russians are discussing how to set up keyboards to type in Cyrillic, the Germans are debating the peculiarities of noun endings ... and the Australians are chatting about their favourite alcoholic beverages.

MissMacchiato
07-12-2010, 09:21 AM
haha, high five, sounds about standard.

Is there bbq involved? if not, there should be...

fredXgeorge
07-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Well, the Russians are discussing how to set up keyboards to type in Cyrillic, the Germans are debating the peculiarities of noun endings ... and the Australians are chatting about their favourite alcoholic beverages.
As it should be lol. I usually just drink vodka and coke. I used to drink Cruisers but they make me feel sick. Dad drinks VB. Speaking of, I love footy (way prefer it over cricket) but does anyone else love watching cricket for the VB ads?

Mandy-Jane
07-12-2010, 10:39 AM
It might be because, at least by what my husband says, Fosters is the weaker beer or maybe he means lighter. Don't know if that is true, but he tells me that American beer and Fiji beers is not as heavy.

I've just come back from a holiday in Fiji, and in my opinion, Fiji Bitter is pretty weak tasting (I drank lots of it though, in between red wines).

I love Pure Blonde too.

Cliff Face
07-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Today I poured Johnnie Walker Red Label into 600mL coke bottles for a road trip. That was before noon. Yeah. Now I've just had a Coopers Clear, and looking to have a West End Draught.

Good times.

poetinahat
07-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Turn it up, mate (not you, Cliffy, just in general)

Sprout
07-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Aah! I knew I moved to the right country!
Bottoms up!

MissMacchiato
07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
anyone having a glass of red? uni results come out in 3 hours...

Lauretta
07-12-2010, 02:59 PM
I'll have a glass with you, fingers crossed for your results!

Cliff Face
07-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Wishing you the best MissMacchiato! I did a Uni subject last semester and got a CR. On a writing subject. Yeah.

I'm now up to: a double of Johnnie Walker, a Coopers Clear, a West End Draught, a 1.5 of Johnnie Walker, and now another Coopers Clear.

Just for those of you keeping track.

(I'm not much for red wine, but give me a rose' any day and I'll drink it just fine!)

MissMacchiato
07-12-2010, 03:58 PM
thanks guys! Only 2 hours to go now!

Cliff Face
07-12-2010, 04:02 PM
So it's 10pm in Sydney now?

9.30pm here in Adelaide. :)

Valerie J. Long
07-12-2010, 10:44 PM
anyone having a glass of red? uni results come out in 3 hours...

Gemtree or Heartland? Both are Shiraz.

Or a sparkling Deakin Estate?

:e2drunk:

cooeedownunder
07-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Good luck with the uni results...where is mccardy - she'd be happy to open a bottle of champagne :D

veinglory
07-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Gin and coke?

Gin and coke!

http://bestsmileys.com/puking/4.gif

poetinahat
07-13-2010, 04:44 AM
Caaaaarn the Blues!

Cliff Face
07-13-2010, 04:49 AM
Gin and coke?

Gin and coke!

http://bestsmileys.com/puking/4.gif

Don't knock it till you've tried it. :D

poetinahat
07-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Don't knock it till you've tried it. :D
Tried it -- maybe it's better if you haven't been drinking gimlets and Campari for the previous eight hours. :rolleyes:

Ah, college.

Cliff Face
07-13-2010, 05:11 AM
I know what you mean! I drank so much at Uni it wasn't funny. Meanwhile, that's where I tried Gin and Coke (Gilbeys Gin yummo).

cooeedownunder
07-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Bit early for vodka - so settling for coffee :D

Susie
07-14-2010, 02:07 AM
G'day, cooy 'n all. Aussies rock!

cooeedownunder
07-14-2010, 02:27 AM
G'day Miss Chocolate - where's the cake? BTW I like the sparkly :D

Camilla Brokking
07-15-2010, 12:19 AM
G'dye mites. This thread is mint! Make mine a bundy and coke. I'll drink it out here in me Torrie, with all the doors open and 'Thunderstruck' turned up loud enough to rattle the neighbours' windows. :D

Valerie J. Long
07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
G'dye mites. This thread is mint! Make mine a bundy and coke. I'll drink it out here in me Torrie, with all the doors open and 'Thunderstruck' turned up loud enough to rattle the neighbours' windows. :D
Well, yesterday the thunderstorm rattled a lot more than a few windows, but I kept a Stiff Upper Lip and waited it out.
G'day!

Camilla Brokking
07-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Well, yesterday the thunderstorm rattled a lot more than a few windows, but I kept a Stiff Upper Lip and waited it out.
G'day!

Oooh you had that storm too? Wasn't it a cracker! On the way to work this morning, I saw whole trees just snapped in half as if they were no stronger than those pretzel-sticks.

Damn scary driving home last night though. I hope we don't get too many more like that this summer.

Cliff Face
07-15-2010, 11:48 AM
There was also a big storm in South Australia over the past few days. We missed the worst of it.

Lauretta
07-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Mooorning all! Here it's too early to start boozing, I'll go for a hot chocolate instead :D

Cliff Face
07-15-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm back from my 4-day sojourn, and I've decided to give the liquor a miss for a little while. Can't really afford to drink it right now.

I'm having coffee instead. :D

Lauretta
07-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Coffee is good :D
Have you been somewhere nice?

Cliff Face
07-15-2010, 12:33 PM
South Australia's Riverland - a 4 hour drive from where I live - with my sister to visit dad and step-mum. It was peaceful, if a little cold. But then there was the spa. :D Good times. (And yes, I drank a LOT. 5 drink minimum each of the 3 nights sort of thing.)

Lauretta
07-15-2010, 01:09 PM
LOVE the SPA!!! It sounds like you had great fun! I'm going to visit my parents in Sicily this Saturday, can't wait!

Cliff Face
07-15-2010, 03:20 PM
I'd prefer to have gone to Sicily instead of the Riverland. :) I've been to the Riverland somewhere in the vicinity of 15 times in about 5 years. I mean, it's fun and relaxing, but I've seen it all before.

Now Sicily! Mamma mia! :P

Camilla Brokking
07-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Coffee over here too! Settling down to an evening's editing. It's nice and cool for once :D

cooeedownunder
07-16-2010, 03:13 PM
We need MUSIC!

MissMacchiato
07-16-2010, 03:20 PM
ooooooh, we're halfway there...

OOOOOOH living on a prayer....:e2drunk:

Valerie J. Long
07-16-2010, 03:51 PM
We need MUSIC!

'bout a jolly swagman? Or a house among the gumtrees?

SaraP
07-16-2010, 04:33 PM
We need MUSIC!

Did you say music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNT7uZf7lew)?

We call this one Cavalinho na feira a correr because that's exactly what that first line sounds like in portuguese ( = little horse on the fair running).

Camilla Brokking
07-17-2010, 12:36 AM
'bout a jolly swagman? Or a house among the gumtrees?

In the great southern land? Listening to the sounds of then - that'd take me back, give me a change in mood.

cooeedownunder
07-17-2010, 02:17 AM
Did you say music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNT7uZf7lew)?

We call this one Cavalinho na feira a correr because that's exactly what that first line sounds like in portuguese ( = little horse on the fair running).

HA?

Wayne K
07-17-2010, 02:20 AM
Bah!

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6JJjfnNwsY)is proper music

cooeedownunder
07-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Nope - this is :D

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
Merry merry king of the bush is he.
Laugh, Kookaburra, laugh, Kookaburra,
Gay your life must be!

SaraP
07-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Yah. Travelling in a fried-out combie, the way he sings it, totally sounds like Cavalinho na feira a correr. Trust me. Now that I've heard it, I can't not hear it again every single time that song plays.

And it's still one of my faves. Totally spoiled - but still awesome.

Bartholomew
07-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Oh! A New Zealand thread! I get it, now.

Cliff Face
07-17-2010, 06:27 AM
LOL.

Elisabeth Bruce
07-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Wecanhazelection! :e2Order:

WecanhazPARTY! :partyguy:

:yessmiley :PartySmil

cooeedownunder
07-18-2010, 04:39 AM
Yeah, interesting stuff.

Cliff Face
07-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Who here thinks it would be a damn shame if our first female PM was only in office for like 2 months and lost the election?

I know who I'm voting for!

cooeedownunder
07-18-2010, 06:20 AM
I'll raise a hand.

Camilla Brokking
07-18-2010, 10:40 AM
I just discovered I've been out of the country too long and have lost my eligibility to vote. Damn :(

mccardey
07-18-2010, 10:45 AM
I'd prefer to have gone to Sicily instead of the Riverland. :) I've been to the Riverland somewhere in the vicinity of 15 times in about 5 years. I mean, it's fun and relaxing, but I've seen it all before.

Now Sicily! Mamma mia! :P

Cliff - have you been to Sicily? I was there last year. It is

Just

Unbelieveable.

We had some friends from Rome fly down to stay with us, and they (lifelong Italians) had never been, and couldn't believe how audaciously weird it was. Truly - go. Now. You'll love it.

Elisabeth Bruce
07-18-2010, 10:57 AM
I just discovered I've been out of the country too long and have lost my eligibility to vote. Damn :(

You have until Monday 8pm to register and you can go to the AEC website.

I don't think I could possibly vote for 'Wabbot' so thank goodness I'm not in his electorate.

We have a National incumbent here who's being chased by a Green *le sigh* and it's hardly worth driving all the way into the School to do it, unless we want to play with the Senate line up *le sigh*

Camilla Brokking
07-18-2010, 12:07 PM
You have until Monday 8pm to register and you can go to the AEC website.

Yes, I know - I did that for the last Federal election. But when I went to re-enrol this time, I read that after a certain period of time away from Australia, you can no longer enrol to vote, and I've been away longer than that now. It makes sense, really - I'm not contributing anything to Australia via taxes or receiving anything from it in terms of wages or other benefits, so in a way it's not really appropriate for me to vote there any more. Bummer is, I can't vote here either since I'm still a foreigner. Oh woe! I am Stateless. I shall go and eat chocolate in bed and wave my Aussie flag from under the doona. :P

I will, however, be watching events in Australia with a great deal of interest.

Elisabeth Bruce
07-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Camilla - eating chocolate is GOOD! NOMNOMNOM!

Make sure it's a big box or a big block! Can you tune in live to ABC News? They'll have live streaming of the count and all.

Everything is heating up already. It seems everyone has an opinion.

I just asked my Bob "What if the Nationals got more seats than the Libs? Who would be Leader?" and "Would there be a coalition at all?"

Five weeks of madness now. Stay in Belgium with your lovely european Doona.

Cliff Face
07-18-2010, 02:05 PM
I try to avoid election stuff. I always know who I'm going to vote for based on the little information I get while trying to avoid it.

This one is a no-brainer for me.

Camilla Brokking
07-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Camilla - eating chocolate is GOOD! NOMNOMNOM!

Make sure it's a big box or a big block! Can you tune in live to ABC News? They'll have live streaming of the count and all.

Everything is heating up already. It seems everyone has an opinion.

I just asked my Bob "What if the Nationals got more seats than the Libs? Who would be Leader?" and "Would there be a coalition at all?"

Five weeks of madness now. Stay in Belgium with your lovely european Doona.

I am well-situated for chocolate - our tiny little village has a http://www.leonidas-chocolate.com/[/COLOR]]Leonidas ([COLOR=#0066cc) shop in it! Also, our local supermarket stocks http://www.australianhomemade.com/[/COLOR]]Australian Homemade Icrecream ([COLOR=#0066cc), for when it all gets a little too much and I'm feeling homesick (yeah right ... for icecream that has never been near Australia :P ).

I don't know if I can stream the ABC here, but I can certainly follow on their news website and Twitter. I'm very curious what the outcome's going to be.

Elisabeth Bruce
07-19-2010, 07:19 AM
I am curious too - insatiably - must come from all these cats in the house!

DoomBunny
07-19-2010, 08:50 AM
I don't think I could possibly vote for 'Wabbot' so thank goodness I'm not in his electorate.

Be vewy, vewy quiet, I'm hunting Abbots? I'm starting to wish someone would go all Elmer Fudd on him.

poetinahat
07-19-2010, 08:53 AM
I was so much hoping Peter Costello would've run with Tony Abbott. How appropriate to have an Abbott/Costello government.

HAY YABBAAAAAATTTT!

Cliff Face
07-19-2010, 09:20 AM
LOL, I'd never even considered Abbott/Costello!

cooeedownunder
07-19-2010, 11:54 AM
LOL

Elisabeth Bruce
07-20-2010, 05:34 AM
Does anyone remember "Who's on first?" I think was an Abbot and Costello routine.

Rather apt when you think of the 'debate' coming up this weekend. TWO channels with cooking shows at the same time!

Cliff Face
07-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Hmm. Interesting - there's already a biography of Julia Gillard in stores. (Yes, I bought one. It's my "In case I ever go into politics" handbook :D)

And bonus points to her for being from Adelaide, where I live. How about that? Sleepy old Adelaide gave rise to the first female Aussie PM. I haz a happy.

cooeedownunder
07-20-2010, 01:02 PM
You know, well, what gets me - is I have this maddening feeling that we could vote her in, and her party kick her out. Part of me thinks the entire excersise is pointless, and I can't help wonder how many people will walk into the poll booths and fold up there paper and slip it into the slot without marking it...

Well we know what that means, but anyways.

Elisabeth Bruce
07-21-2010, 10:43 AM
I lived in SA from 1971 to 1999, and am a 'Ten Pound Pom', so I have a soft spot for Julia too.

Sometimes I get 'homesick' for The Flinders Ranges and Goolwa, oh and Mt Barker and Port Adelaide!

Cliff Face
07-21-2010, 10:49 AM
You lost me at Port Adelaide lol. I once had a job there - 1.5 hours travel each way, working on a construction site that was fined for being unsafe. Not fond memories.

But I like The Flinders Ranges and Goolwa... never been to Mt Barker though.

Ms Hollands
07-23-2010, 12:18 AM
I am well-situated for chocolate - our tiny little village has a http://www.leonidas-chocolate.com/[/COLOR]]Leonidas ([COLOR=#0066cc) shop in it! Also, our local supermarket stocks http://www.australianhomemade.com/[/COLOR]]Australian Homemade Icrecream ([COLOR=#0066cc), for when it all gets a little too much and I'm feeling homesick (yeah right ... for icecream that has never been near Australia :P ).

Does this mean you're in Brussels? I was there a few weeks ago to stay with a friend of a friend on the way to Rock Werchter. Is that place ever free of peak hour traffic at any point during daylight hours???

France has "Aussie" Road Sign products (kangaroo in yellow diamond-inspired) which is not at all Aussie, and those "Aussie" shampoos with the kangaroos in England always annoy me. I think they're made in the US. Thankfully, Tim Tams are now available just down the road in Annecy which is a complete luxury (but would prefer Chocolate Teddy Bear bickies).

Camilla Brokking
07-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Does this mean you're in Brussels? I was there a few weeks ago to stay with a friend of a friend on the way to Rock Werchter. Is that place ever free of peak hour traffic at any point during daylight hours???

No, I'm not in Brussels, although I studied there a few years back. I live further north, in a small village in the region of Limburg. I have fortunately avoided having to tackle Brussels traffic, and I hope it stays that way! It's constantly busy.

Lucky you, that you can lay your hands on TimTams so easily! I have to get family and friends to bring them in when they come to visit (Vegemite and Promite too). There is a supplier of Aussie things in NL (http://www.tuckerbox.nl/ (http://www.tuckerbox.nl/)) but they're quite expensive, so I haven't tried them yet. They have quite a range, but sadly no Tiny Teddies :(

Did you enjoy Rock Werchter? I drove past it last year while going to pick up some visitors from Hasselt - I've never in my life seen so many people wandering across the road in various states of sobriety (and undress :P )! It looks like messy fun.

ps you live in the Alps? We were there for our holiday at the end of May/beginning of June, staying at Le Bourg d'Oisans for Alpe d'HuZes :D We wanted to visit Annecy but we ran out of time this trip. Maybe next time ...

Ms Hollands
07-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Glastonbury takes less time to get into. Werchter was great, but the organisation was a bit crap. Got to see Empire of the Sun which was also fantastic (which it had been The Sleepy Jackson though).

Years ago, there was "Auntie Sue's" (I think it was Sue) which was an internet delivery service of Aussie goodies - pretty cheap too. It disappeared one day. I supply up on stuff whenever I'm back in Aus (hund luggage mostly consists of Cherry Ripes and giant-sized Kraft peanut butter), or if I'm London, although it's hard to justify triple the price for a Strawberry Freddo Frog.

The Tim Tams arrived about a month ago in Carrefour. My partner was a tad embarrassed when I screached in the middle of the supermarket: "TIM TAMS!!!", then hussled some into the shopping trolley. I'm keeping the demand up so they continue to stock them.

Camilla Brokking
07-23-2010, 12:44 AM
I hope your strategy works! I'd probably do the same thing if they suddenly appeared in our local DelHaize (including the screeching) :D

Ms Hollands
07-23-2010, 01:14 AM
:O)

Forgot to answer the bit about the Alps. Yep, my love of snow sports has got me stuck here. Annecy is really pretty and there's always something happening, summer and winter (although obviously lots more in summer). My favourite things are Le Retour des Alpages in Octoberish and the Venetian parade in February.

MissMacchiato
07-23-2010, 03:13 AM
lol, it's so awesome when you find something that reminds you of home when you're overseas! I'd have screeched too, and I have to be the only Australian in existence who doesn't actually like eating them.

Yay, it's friday! What is everyone doing this weekend?

And I've been wondering. How many of us here write for a US market, as opposed to an Australian one? I suppose an aussie market is rather narrow, so do you guys use centimeters? inches? Aussie slang?

Cliff Face
07-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Frankly, I measure length in decibels... :D But yes, currently I write for the US market, seeing as how I've basically struck out with the limited number of Aussie agents.

Mmm... Tim Tams!! *grabs a handful*

cooeedownunder
07-23-2010, 11:54 AM
I've never thought about country markets, and mainly concentrated on writing storys set in Australia, although I diverted greatly this time from my intention. I think it would be great to write a story set in Australia that captures an international audiance - which a few writers have done...

I'm a believer at the end of the day we need to write the storys that we feel passionate about, and hopefully along the way will write one that attracts or matches a market.

That said, I wish I had understood markets and genres more, prior to writing my last WIP.

seeAlliwrite
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
After reading this, I'm missing the other half of my glass of sauv. blanc! Just back from dinner out and the kids starting climbing the walls of the restaurant and I had to abandon my poor wine! On a Friday night, too! It's unAustralian, I tell you!

MissMacchiato, I write for the US market. I usually make my characters Aussie in some way, though, or give them Aussie connections, as I'm always worried my Aussie voice is too obvious! Next book out is set in LA and Boston, but the heroine's dad is Australian. The ms I'm writing at the moment, the family lives part of the year in Tassie, but pretty much the entire story is set in Las Vegas.

JJ Cooper
07-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Just found this place should anyone become thirsty. Who said everything is bigger and better in America :D

http://www.planbooktravel.com.au/businesses/qld/bundaberg/attractions/bondstore-the-home-of-bundaberg-rum/9000200_1.jpg

Was there not long ago! Popped in during the Bundy Writers Festival!

Nice thread BTW!

Cheers,

JJ

JJ Cooper
07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Any Aussies in Brisbane?

Will be attending the Brisbane Writers Festival 01-05 Sep 10. I'm fortunate enough to be part of the program. Ticketed sessions available where I'll be joining Val McDermid, michael Robothom and Gary Disher. The program will be out 24 July 10. Come see us!

Cheers,

JJ

Rufus Coppertop
07-23-2010, 04:11 PM

Carbonated cat piss? Bugger that for a joke.

seeAlliwrite
07-24-2010, 01:49 AM
Any Aussies in Brisbane?

Will be attending the Brisbane Writers Festival 01-05 Sep 10. I'm fortunate enough to be part of the program. Ticketed sessions available where I'll be joining Val McDermid, michael Robothom and Gary Disher. The program will be out 24 July 10. Come see us!

I am! Will be taking a look at the programme today. Not on it this year as I don't have a book out. Only problem is there is a YA programme that runs off-site at the same time, which makes it difficult to get to everything. Random will probably host a dinner for the authors, which is always nice. I used to be with Random House and met some fascinating authors at those dinners over the years! Actually, just saw your signature. Sat next to Lisa Unger last time and talked kids as her daughter is the same age as my son.

Cliff Face
07-24-2010, 05:39 AM
Any Aussies in Brisbane?

Cheers,

JJ

I'm in SA, but if I was in Brisbane, my mum would make me go (and take her with me!) - she's a HUGE Val McDermid fan. :)

Oddly enough, my brother used to live in Brisbane, but moved to England with his British girlfriend not even a month ago...

cooeedownunder
07-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Any Aussies in Brisbane?

Cheers,

JJ

I knew there was a reason to move to QLD beside the Bundy :D

Jodie_writes_what?
07-24-2010, 10:06 AM
I believe XXXX is releasing an all special XXXXX (5 Xs) LOL I'll have that - even tho I don't drink. Think I'll mount that in the games room. ;)

Cliff Face
07-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Page me when they release a XXX. :D

cooeedownunder
07-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Wonder if they'll make Mr Fourex bigger to fit all the extra Xs

Ms Hollands
07-24-2010, 01:48 PM
lol, it's so awesome when you find something that reminds you of home when you're overseas! I'd have screeched too, and I have to be the only Australian in existence who doesn't actually like eating them.

Actually, I ate about eight of them when I was a teenager and couldn't face them until someone bought me a packet a few years ago as a gift. They're not as sickly as I remember. Just can't be a Chocolate Teddy Bear biscuit, but they seem to be a Melbourne thing? I really miss them.

Gardening and working this weekend. Writing to happen soon hopefully!

I write for whatever market is paying me, so normally a British market. Fiction-wise, I've tried to keep my words as internationally known as possible, and haven't needed to use measurements for anything so far, thankfully.

Elisabeth Bruce
07-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Carbonated cat piss? Bugger that for a joke.

Agree with you there. I'll raise a good old glass of Coopers to that!:e2drunk:

Coopers - the last of the real Australian beer and still run by the family!

Cliff Face
07-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Chocolate Teddy Bear biscuits are awesome, and you can get them in SA as well as Melbourne (don't know about anywhere else...).

And yay Coopers! Flinders Uni in SA had a Coopers Bar, and so does Adelaide Airport, where I had a quick pint of Coopers Pale while my brother and his girlfriend were waiting for a flight to Brisbane.

And I also like Coopers Clear, if I'm being good with my diet (ha!).

Cliff Face
07-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Just watched the Election Debate, and my sister pointed out Gillard's ear lobes. Check out ninemsn site for pics - they had a headline that said, "Gillard's earlobes cause Twitter flutter".

Sister is tickled pink. :)

(Note: if the Government is still monitoring me for Extremely Boring Behaviour (EBB) I mean no disrespect to Gillard. Also, this post isn't quite as boring as you thought it would be, is it? Nyuh! :D)

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/election2010/7934795/gillards-earlobes-shift-attention-from-debate - seriously. :)

Elisabeth Bruce
07-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Chocolate Teddy Bear biscuits are awesome, and you can get them in SA as well as Melbourne (don't know about anywhere else...).

And yay Coopers! Flinders Uni in SA had a Coopers Bar, and so does Adelaide Airport, where I had a quick pint of Coopers Pale while my brother and his girlfriend were waiting for a flight to Brisbane.

And I also like Coopers Clear, if I'm being good with my diet (ha!).

I was at Flinders Uni and Sturt College in 1981 - mature age student doing nursing and psychology.

I remember some pretty good 'boat races' on a Friday arvo, stuffed if I know what beer we used though! :tongue

Jodie_writes_what?
07-26-2010, 04:38 PM
:Shrug:I didn't watch the debate... instead settled in to watch Masterchef...

Cliff Face
07-27-2010, 06:56 AM
It was the first political debate I've ever watched... though I was involved in a political group at Flinders Uni the first year that group came into existence (created by some friends) - we lost spectacularly, even though I wore a purple shirt that said "Catalyst" on it for like 3 weeks...

If anyone here has been to Flinders Uni since 2003-onwards I'd love to know if Catalyst is still around, and whether they've done anything but come dead last in the student elections... :)

Bluestone
08-01-2010, 08:03 PM
We really are living up to the Yanks opinion of Aussies when the thread started with alcohol and I went to the last page and the talk is still alcohol! LOL.

Ex-pat Aussie here, living in San Diego, originally from Sydney. I go back a couple of times a year, so I get my home fix, thank goodness. But I have to say living in SD is pretty nice. My ideal would be to spend equal time in both countries. Working towards that goal...

I happened to be in Sydney when Julia Gillard took over as PM. It felt good to be in the midst of events for once, instead of trying to dig up bits and pieces of news over here. It's hard to get a sense of things from a distance.

In case anyone is interested, I write murder mystery and have a non-fiction book on wine coming out this year.

Cliff Face
08-02-2010, 10:57 AM
A wine book? Nice!

Have you ever been to McLaren Vale in SA? Great wine (world award-winning, sometimes) and I used to live about 2 minutes drive from there... I was right between McLaren Vale and Willunga, the next town over, going to Willunga Primary. It's in the South of Adelaide, kind of beyond the suburbs and into the first stretches of country towns. :)

Lauretta
08-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Mooorning!
I'm just back from my holiday... Give me something strong please.

Cliff Face
08-02-2010, 11:02 AM
One Absinthe, coming up! :D

Bluestone
08-03-2010, 06:14 AM
A wine book? Nice!

Have you ever been to McLaren Vale in SA? Great wine (world award-winning, sometimes) and I used to live about 2 minutes drive from there... I was right between McLaren Vale and Willunga, the next town over, going to Willunga Primary. It's in the South of Adelaide, kind of beyond the suburbs and into the first stretches of country towns. :)

Yes, I import Chapel Hill from McLaren Vale! I love McLaren Vale wines. Do you know The Star of Greece restaurant? Great setting. And I know Willunga. Pretty area.

Cliff Face
08-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Not familiar with The Star Of Greece, though I did have lunch in McLaren Vale over Christmas 2009, probably the 27th. Brother and his girlfriend were down from Brisbane (and this was the first time we met his girl - she was nice) and they wanted to go on a wine tour, so we went to McLaren Vale. I do believe we stopped in at Chapel Hill. In fact, I think that's where I bought my bottle (I could only afford one) - a Riesling I think it was...

Not one of the expensive ones though - the cheap general stock.

And I think my sister bought a red from Chapel Hill. I'm not much of a red drinker, but I tasted some on the tour at multiple places, and it was alright, though in the SA summer heat it was making me quite flush. It didn't help that I was wearing a nice shirt and long pants! I got up that morning, thinking, "Gee, I better go classy today, if we're going on a wine tour." Shower, dress, go into lounge room where brother is wearing shorts and a T-shirt and dirty shoes.

But I was stubborn and decided I'd class the place up a little. :)

(The place in McLaren Vale where we had lunch was, I think, a little-big Italian restaurant on the main road... can't remember the name, but they had lovely pasta!)

Cliff Face
08-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Just adding a small feel-good (for me at least, maybe for you) tidbit from today's adventures in shopping.

There's this little bakehouse that sells coffee. Anyway, they have a sign up that says, "Buy a coffee, receive a bean to vote with." They actually had a little stand thing with 4 slots for different political parties. Why is this a feel-good thing for me? Because Labor (and thus Julia Gillard) had about 2.5 times the beans that Liberal had. :D

I'm very happy to be living in a pro-Labor suburb.

Anyone else seen something like this before? Unofficial voting with coffee beans... lol. I give it 3 thumbs up (although I might have to borrow someone's thumb...). :)

MissMacchiato
08-08-2010, 12:30 PM
haha, that sounds like so much fun! I want to vote with coffee beans!

Cliff Face
08-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Next time I'm in there I'm going to buy one of their coffees simply so I can up Labor's lead. :D

(I usually get my coffee at Gloria Jeans which is RIGHT NEXT DOOR to this bakehouse...)

Rufus Coppertop
08-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Mmm... Tim Tams!! *grabs a handful*

Iced Vo-Vo's leave Tim Tams for dead!

:tongue

Cliff Face
08-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Iced Vo-Vo's are alright... but I'm nuts for chocolate (and coffee!)...

Mmm... chocolate-covered coffee beans... *drools*

MissMacchiato
08-08-2010, 05:12 PM
my good god, I thought I was the only one who loved vovos!

Bluestone
08-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Oh no, I love iced vo vos too! Biscuits like that always take me back to childhood. When I go home I stock up on ginger nut biscuits and shortbread fingers too. And Peppermint Crisps. Yum. I like Tim Tams, but I'm a bit sick of them.

Cliff Face
08-09-2010, 10:02 AM
OMG Peppermint Crisps! Om nom nom!

Wait, this is meant to be the rough and tumble Aussie thread... so when I said "OMG Peppermint Crisps!" what I meant to say was, "Yeah, I'll have a nice cold 5% beer, and a raw onion to nibble on."

Yup, that's exactly what I meant. LOL.

cooeedownunder
08-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Oh, dear, I was starting to think you had all fallen off the wagon :D

Bluestone
08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey, I hate to hijack the food and drink thread - LOL - but I'm wondering:

Is this an okay place to ask anyone living in Australia about Julia Gillard, or too political? I happened to be visiting family the week she became Prime Minister and to me this seems like a good thing, but I have no idea what her plans are, what the general consensus is and how likely she is to win the election in the coming months? There is zero news about her in the U.S.

_Sian_
08-10-2010, 02:39 AM
I like her - but then again I'd rather contemplate moving to New Zealand then voting for Tony Abbot. No offense meant to anyone who actually does intend to vote liberal :)

MissMacchiato
08-10-2010, 03:08 AM
oh my lord, me too. Blurg. Not a fan of Tony A, mostly because of his inappropriate comments regarding women.

Re: JG, I don't know what her plans are either, and quite frankly, I'd only be voting for her to stop TA from getting in.

Again, no offence to those who vote liberal.

Cliff Face
08-11-2010, 04:46 AM
http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=552045

You can buy the Gillard biography there (and probably elsewhere if you search). I'm currently reading it, and it has insights into what Gillard stands for... not so much about the election coming up, more regarding her track record.

I have no doubt that someone in this thread will mention who wins the election once we've had it... probably me either saying, "Yay, Gillard won!! :D:D:D" or "Oh noes! My vote meant nothing! :(:(:(" depending on who wins. ;)

If you want more information, perhaps try the P&CE forum and start a thread in there... I don't particularly follow election coverage, though I did watch the debate (Gillard came out slightly on top, and it was very apparent that the guys were saying yes to Abbott and no to Gillard, and the women were saying yes to Gillard and no to Abbott - the debate had a little "popularity" kind of worm-bar-chart thing, and it showed votes from men, women and averaged it out...).

And I'm about halfway through Gillard's biography, enough to confirm my suspicions that I want to vote for her.

But I don't watch the News every night to see the latest election drama, so maybe if another Aussie does that they can provide info in P&CE for you? :)

Bluestone
08-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks so much, Cliff Face. That was very helpful. I'll look for her biography. The things I don't know about Oz since being here in the States make me feel a little like a foreigner in my own country.

Cliff Face
08-12-2010, 05:28 AM
I don't know much about Australia myself, and I've lived here my whole life...

But I decided to take an interest in politics this year, so I've been reading Gillard's bio, and I watched the debate...

And I'm also doing a subject called Australia And The World for Uni right now... so I'm kind of taking one giant baby leap into politics... :)

Camilla Brokking
08-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Hello! I'm back! I didn't plan to be away, I just forgot to visit after the last notification email I got *mumble* weeks ago. Also, I was swamped with work. Anyway ... hello again, everyone! :D

Cliff Face
08-13-2010, 06:37 AM
*pours a cold beer for Camilla*

Welcome back (to the bar where everyone knows your name...). :P

cooeedownunder
08-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Feeling like a scotch myself, but it's still a bit early...oh, my - Friday afternoon, so maybe not too early :D

MissMacchiato
08-13-2010, 06:57 AM
ugh I could do with a cold something or other as well. only 4.5 hours til I can knock off work!

Cliff Face
08-13-2010, 07:15 AM
A nice chilled white whine spritzer coming your way!

*grabs the scotch*

And something brown over ice for everybody!

Camilla Brokking
08-13-2010, 07:20 AM
*pours a cold beer for Camilla*

Welcome back (to the bar where everyone knows your name...). :P

Thank you! :D Actually, I am more of a diet coke sort of person, but yanno, feel free to add a splash of Bundy, I won't complain ... ;)

MissMacchiato
08-13-2010, 07:36 AM
hurrah!

What are everyone's plans for the weekend? How did everyone go with word count this week?

cooeedownunder
08-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Daughters going over to mums, so party time ;)

mccardey
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM
We have a bunch of friends coming over on Sunday, so lots of food and chat and music :)

Saturday will be writing and playing in the garden....

Cliff Face
08-13-2010, 10:15 AM
My weekend will be spent saving money by NOT shopping, and writing songs, reading stuff for Uni, possibly writing something for Uni (even though the piece isn't due for 3 weeks) and generally staying out of trouble.

My word count for the week was relatively low, but that's because I'm writing songs, and counting progress by number of songs written (4 this week so far) instead of actual word count.

I have the house to myself right now, so I should probably think about recording some music to go along with my lyrics...

mccardey
08-13-2010, 10:16 AM
What sort of songs, Cliffter?

(Yeah, I've changed your name...)

Cliff Face
08-13-2010, 10:29 AM
LOL, people love to change my name! You should hear what scarletpeaches calls me! It's filthy!

And the lyrics range from funny to filthy to dark to rockin'... the ones I like most are the dark and/or filthy, but I'm doing 50 songs in 90 days, so realistically I'll take whatever I can come up with...

(See sig for the competition site 50/90.)

*goes off to play guitar*

MissMacchiato
08-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Wow 50 songs in 90 days!

today has been bad, I bet I've barely made 50 words if I'm honest, but the last couple of days have been pretty hardcore, anything between 700 and 3000 words :)

Cliff Face
08-13-2010, 10:59 AM
I have now thrashed my guitar into dulcet submission.

*sighs*

Now to write a song!

_Sian_
08-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Is that your guitar in you profile pic? I assumed it was but had to ask - because from the very little I know by association, it's a very nice guitar.

Cliff Face
08-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Yes, that's my guitar. Actually, that photo is a stock photo from the Epiphone site (it's an Epiphone Les Paul 100) but mine is exactly like that, except that the white scratchboard on mine is cream and covered in black marks from my pick.

I got it second hand from a guy I used to work with for $350, which is about half-price. And he'd added custom pick-ups and only had it for about 1.5 years, so half-price was quite good. (He had just bought a new guitar, which is why he wanted to sell this one.)

I'm still looking for a bass guitar though. :)

cooeedownunder
08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
LOL, people love to change my name! You should hear what scarletpeaches calls me! It's filthy!

Clit Face :D

Cliff Face
08-14-2010, 03:04 AM
That's not what she calls me, but it's a good one nonetheless! :D

Camilla Brokking
08-14-2010, 03:23 PM
My weekend so far has contained three loads of washing, and a nice bike ride with husband and son, along the canal and through the fields. It's a beautiful day here today, and we don't get many of those compared to in Aus, so we're taking advantage of it! Husband's just gone off to play footy (Aussie Rules, no less :D ). Mr Shouty-Trousers is having a nap, and I'm settling down to do some (more) editing.

No word count for me, can't remember how long ago it was I last wrote anything. :( I've been too busy editing other peoples' work!

Cliff Face
08-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Which part of Australia did you used to live in? (Just wondering which AFL team your husband fantasises about playing for while kicking the ball around... whut? I thought everyone did that?)

Camilla Brokking
08-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm from Perth. When we were in Australia for a year, my husband played in the Saturday League for the Applecross Hawks. We are both huge Dockers fans though - he's gone off in his Dockers shirt, naturally ;)

Over here, he played for a while with the Brussels Saints, then with the Dutch team, de Vliegende Hollanders (Flying Dutchmen :P ), and now he's with/started up the Eindhoven Eagles. It's really hard going though - there aren't that many players around, surprisingly. The annual EU Cup (when a whole bunch of countries get together to play a championship over the course of one day (!!) is great fun.

ps and of course everyone does that! :D

fredXgeorge
08-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Pfft Dockers :tongue

When I have kids, we will be stopping off at an AFL shop on the way home and buying a footy and decking them out in full Saints gear. They won't have any choice who they barrack for.

Camilla Brokking
08-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Yes well our son doesn't have any say in the matter either - he already has quite a bit of Dockers paraphernalia! And pffft nothing - they're doing rather well this year (at long bleeding last). :P

fredXgeorge
08-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Yeah I'm surprised, I though they'd drop off after about Round 10. Seriously, this year I would be almost happy with anyone but Collingwood. But I really hope we win. I think this might be one of our last chances for a while.

Cliff Face
08-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Hmm. I'm an Adelaide boy (watched the 2 back-to-back premiership wins in the 90s! Loved it!) and as such, I'm morally obligated to hate Port Power. :D

I wonder if a Western Aussie would have to choose between West Coast and Fremantle, the same way most South Aussies choose between Port and Adelaide?

But I also like Essendon (love the colours, and when I first started watching they had James Hird) and North Melbourne (Wayne Carey USED to be a good player, at least...).

Those have always been my 3 teams. :)

Camilla Brokking
08-15-2010, 06:15 PM
There is a huge and sometimes bitter, even nasty, rivalry between WCE and Dockers supporters. I don't know how or why it originated, but I'm kind of shocked by the intensity of it. It seems to have got a lot less in the last couple of years though, with Cousins' shameful behaviour and the Eagles losing momentum as a team, but it's still there. I don't get it.

MissMacchiato
08-16-2010, 03:18 AM
Is it hawthorn which has the similar uniform colours to Gryffindor? I constantly get asked who I support when I wear my gryffindor scarf.

Cliff Face
08-16-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm not knowledgable about Harry Potter stuff... but Hawthorn is black and orange-brown-yellow-sort-of-thing. I think.

fredXgeorge
08-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Is it hawthorn which has the similar uniform colours to Gryffindor? I constantly get asked who I support when I wear my gryffindor scarf.
Out of all of them yeah Hawthorn's is the most similar, it's just brown instead of maroon. I love that you wear your scarf out. I've only got a Gryffindor tie but I'm going to make robes for LeakyCon 2011 :D

MissMacchiato
08-17-2010, 05:18 AM
lol, hell yes I wear it out... I knitted it myself. It's HUGE - so heavy...

http://images4.ravelry.com/uploads/macchiatolove/17387678/IMG_3099__640x480__medium.jpg

<3

I plan on wearing it to the DH release, even if it's midsummer, LOL

fredXgeorge
08-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Haha nice. I thought about getting one but LeakyCon is in Florida in the middle of summer so it would be a bit of a waste of money. I will buy one one day though!

Cliff Face
08-19-2010, 04:39 AM
That scarf could also double as a towel for any Hitch-Hiker's Guide meetings... (Do you know where your towel is?!? ;))

Cliff Face
08-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Woo! Election on Saturday! This calls for champagne and a roast dinner!

pdr
08-20-2010, 11:29 AM
the closest election ever for Oz.

I wonder if your Labour PM might just scrape in and so raise a metaphorical two fingers to the Labour men who put her there believing that the election was near, she'd lose, and they'd get rid of her neatly.

Cliff Face
08-20-2010, 12:06 PM
It'd seem such a shame if our first female PM was only in office for 2 months.

I've finished reading her biography, and yes, a lot of the Labor people have been against her during her career.

fredXgeorge
08-20-2010, 05:38 PM
My first time voting tomorrow!

SaraP
08-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Will you guys post the results? I'm not too keen on politics, but I have been following along this thread and now I'm curious.

Cliff Face
08-21-2010, 05:11 AM
We should have the results in about 10 hours or so...

I haven't voted yet today... waiting on sister to get her drunk arse out of bed so we can walk there together.

Cliff Face
08-21-2010, 08:37 AM
I have now voted. (And shopped. ;))

Cliff Face
08-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Watching the election coverage... they just said "The national figures just hit 50/50 for the first time tonight instead of Labor being behind." (Labor is Julia Gillard's team. ;))

7.52pm here in SA, and they keep saying it's going to take until about midnight for a winner to be decided, if they can even decide tonight!

Hmm. This could be a long night.

Cliff Face
08-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Gave up watching at 9.30pm.

Could well be another 3 hours before they have a result, and even then it could wind up being a hung parliament... too tired for this.

Night!

_Sian_
08-21-2010, 04:13 PM
....... now they're saying hung parliament. Now, I get how that works for legislation. a bill goes through, the party that manages to convice the greens bloke and the independants to vote with them wins or votes down that legislation. But who's the PM if there is no clear majority? confused...

Ruv Draba
08-21-2010, 05:52 PM
If there's no majority party, then one party will get the chance to form government with minority members. If they can't, the other will try. If there's no government I believe we'll have to go back to the polls.

The problem is that there's no constitutional rule as to which party gets the first crack -- so they're already arguing over who should. The results could await a week or two.

fredXgeorge
08-22-2010, 04:25 AM
This is going to be a long week or few.

Cliff Face
08-22-2010, 06:28 AM
So glad I went to bed.

_Sian_
08-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Random, but had a sudden wish that this thread could go back to talking about drinks and vovo's. At least that was cheerful :/

Cliff Face
08-23-2010, 10:17 AM
*drinks Jacob's Creek Pinot Grigio*

*pours a glass for the first taker*

Better?

MissMacchiato
08-23-2010, 10:26 AM
much better!

Sooooo... I just found out that proteas are originally from South Africa. Who knew?

Cliff Face
08-23-2010, 10:37 AM
What are proteas?

MissMacchiato
08-23-2010, 10:47 AM
http://shibatafc.com/store/images/ProteaFlower.png

protea. They look very native Aussie, don't they?

Cliff Face
08-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Yes. Yes they do.

_Sian_
08-23-2010, 04:49 PM
*wonders if you can make a drink from proteas* :)
Thanks. Much better.

Bluestone
08-23-2010, 06:49 PM
*drinks Jacob's Creek Pinot Grigio*

*pours a glass for the first taker*

Better?

*opens a bottle of Dutschke St. Jakobi Shiraz* It's okay, it's a Magnum. Plenty for all..... :D

Now, since I'm over here and some of you are over there, could someone please tell me if there has been a further count of votes and a clear winner? I'm on pins and needles, people!

_Sian_
08-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Okay, so here's how it goes.
You need 76 seats to have a majority in the lower house. Those who rule the lower house can pass bills through it, and thus are judged to have the power to form government.
This year, there are 4 independents, and one Greens member in the lower house though.
And no matter how you distribute the last four or so seats that are going to be recounted a zillion times over the next week or so (there's only a margin of 400 or something in some of them) neither of the two major parties are going to get those 76 seats.
So neither can win by majority. Which is normally how it's done.
So, basically, someone gets to form minority government. The person who does that has to convince at least a couple, if not all (the three country independents are probably going to go together, the one in Tasmania - no idea, and the green is definitely going to support labor) of the non labor or liberal/nats people to join them (i.e not vote against them all the time) so that party can pass legislation through the lower house.
(btw, Libs/nat(coalition) and labor are our two major parties. They are the ones trying to convince the non affiliated MP's at the moment)
So, that's it at the moment. Everyone's in Canberra, "negotiating" (sucking up to the non-affiliated blokes) to see who gets to form minority government.
*start rant*:rant:
And lets not even get started on the senate, because the greens(environmental party that has branched out in the last 5-10 years) hold balance of power there. If the Lib/Nat(conservative) form minority government in the lower house, anything too conservative will be shot down by the greens in the senate, so nothing will get done. Not saying that labor will do any better, mind you.
So, in the words of the Chasers: they're all fucked.:Headbang:

End political explanation and rant. Now where is that alcohol.:flag:

Bluestone
08-24-2010, 05:39 AM
Sounds like a mess, but thanks for the explanation. I've been here too long...

*hands sianshan a lovely glass of inky Shiraz*

Cliff Face
08-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Yeah, there's still no result. And while they're trying to determine a winner, nothing is getting done. Boo!

_Sian_
08-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Thank you for the Shiraz Bluestone. Greatly appreciated. :)

pdr
08-25-2010, 01:10 PM
you might well find that the situation means a lot more gets done.

When we Kiwis went and changed our 1st past the post voting system to MMP, where we vote for a political party and vote for a local MP, we had lots of moaners saying nothing would get done. In fact what happens is we no longer have one party steamrollering their declared and not declared ideas. The small parties have their say too so things are much more balanced and things get done far more efficiently. And the public voice has to be listened to.

Our idiot PM tried to get mining allowed in National Parks and the uproar from voters made all the parties think, so pressure from those small parties holding the balance of power had an effect - no mining! Small parties have to be much more sensitive to their voters.

_Sian_
08-30-2010, 01:20 PM
*misses the aussie thread*
Sooooooooo, who likes footy, who likes rugby, and who would rather not know :D Anyone?

Lauretta
08-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Moooorning!!

Cliff Face
08-30-2010, 02:06 PM
I used to be really into footy. And cricket. I was a mean spin bowler.

Go Adelaide, Essendon and North Melbourne! (In that order.)

Morning Laura!

mccardey
08-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Oh could everybody please stop hanging around here and go to my last post (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178619).....????

Good grief!!

fredXgeorge
08-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Rugby? No way...I'm Victorian!

Cliff Face
08-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I've never seen the appeal of Rugby...

I'd say I was brought up in a football family, but that's not exactly true. My family didn't start watching footy till I started playing it in Primary School and collecting the 1997 Collector's Cards (had a sizeable number of them, too! I still have them somewhere around here...) - but once I started playing and watching it on TV, my family soon fell under footy's sway.

Nowadays, they all watch it, and I don't. Okay, so I've seen maybe 3 matches this year, up from 0 last year... none live. I've only ever been to one live game (AFL) and the Crows bloody well lost, didn't they! Grr.

/ramble

Also, mccardey, I have left a comment in your thread. :)

mccardey
08-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Also, mccardey, I have left a comment in your thread. :)

mwah! You're my second-best friend :)

Cliff Face
08-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Cools. So that means, like, you'll lend me $10, right? Right?? ;)

_Sian_
08-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Cliff Face goes for the crows? ...... not sure I can speak to you any more.

Carn the saints!
:)

fredXgeorge
08-31-2010, 03:07 AM
Cliff Face goes for the crows? ...... not sure I can speak to you any more.

Carn the saints!
:)
I love you.

Cliff Face
08-31-2010, 03:32 AM
Boo! Down with Saints! LOL.

But I have to barrack for the Crows - I'm an Adelaide boy.

cooeedownunder
08-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Congratulations mccardey - I'm sure we all are envious of your achievement. :Clap:

Cheers, girl. :partyguy:

eyeblink
08-31-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm a Brit but a longstanding fan of things Australian, and I'm now in Melbourne, having wanted to visit the country for something like thirty years. So, g'day!

mccardey
08-31-2010, 12:25 PM
G'day, eyeblink! Hope you're enjoying yourself! Be sure to pick up one of the streetpress magazines and hunt down some nightlife. Melbourne has it in spades!

I lurve Melbourne!

_Sian_
08-31-2010, 12:57 PM
There are lot of nice tucked away bars in some of the alley's too, if that's your sort of thing. Also, docklands is great if you've got some money to spend :)
But anyway, welcome eyeblink :)
Oh yes - what exactly were you a fan of when you say "all things australian"? Melbourne is brilliant, but the foreigners I've met look forwards to scenes more likely to happen on the gold coast or bondi beach. What attracted you to Aus?

eyeblink
08-31-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm specifically in the country for the World SF Convention, but that was as much an excuse as anything. That said, I have been to two previous Worldcons, the last two occasions they were held in the UK (Glasgow, Scotland).

I've been a fan of Australian films since around 1980, when the BBC used to show seasons of them - that was when I first saw several classics from the 70s film revival, such as Picnic at Hanging Rock. I've just been to a Q&A with the director Nadia Tass at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image.

Also, Patrick White was a favourite wiriter - I read most of his novels in my teens. The Vivisector was up for the Lost Booker Prize this year, which reminds me it's one of his I haven't read. Must do so sometime.

I've been out all day and the Worldcon will probably be failry full-on. It starts the day after tomorrow, so an early night tonight I think!
I

_Sian_
09-01-2010, 02:34 AM
Worldcon? *envious*

Have fun, and enjoy the rain. It's going to be wet the next week or so.

eyeblink
09-01-2010, 07:26 AM
It's raining now!

mccardey
09-01-2010, 07:34 AM
It's raining now!

Well, yeah - because, Melbourne...

(she said from sunny Sydney ;) )

Cliff Face
09-01-2010, 07:40 AM
And as per usual, it's windy in Adelaide...

_Sian_
09-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I was about to ask, cliffa (can I call you that? It's irritating to have to write cliff face out every time). Melbourne's stereotype is unpredictable weather and good coffee (city of culture or something similar). All I've ever heard about Adelaide is "city of churches". Anything else general (apart from the weather) that you could mention? It's a bit off topic, but I was interested - sorry :)

Cliff Face
09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
You can call me whatever you like. ;)

And the references to Adelaide have always been (in my circle at least) either city of churches, or The Windy City. (Australia's Chicago, if you will.) Oh, and Festival City! We have lots of festivals all throughout the year.

I think I might prefer Melbourne, seeing how it's typically colder than Adelaide (I like the cold, and HATE Adelaide's 10-days-of-45C+ weather every summer!) and I LOVE coffee!

I might actually be going on a 5-day holiday to Tasmania at some point (preferably during Adelaide's annual heatwave, as Tassie is also a bit cooler, like Melbourne) - mum bids on Travel Auctions a few times a year... she just won a 5-day stay in Hobart for 2 people for $340. By Christmas I should have a job, so by February when it gets unbearably hot, I should be able to pay my $170 half (plus airfare) and still have money left over to get pissed a couple of those nights.

I don't know an awful lot about Tasmania, except that it's colder than Adelaide pretty much year-round. And that it's an island below Victoria lol.

But yeah - Adelaide is The Windy Festival City Of Churches. Rock.

eyeblink
09-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Well, yeah - because, Melbourne...

(she said from sunny Sydney ;) )

Hope it lasts until next week - I fly on to Sydney on Monday for four nights...

Cliff Face
09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Whatever you do, don't come to Adelaide - the whole city has the flu. (Well, okay, *I* have the flu, and it looks like my family's coming down with it too... What? It's a small city!)

Cliff Face
09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Seriously, there's just 7 of us, and 15 pubs.

_Sian_
09-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Try three pubs :P One of them full of sleezy old men and thus unapproachable. Ahh well.

Leasie
09-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Seriously, there's just 7 of us, and 15 pubs.

atleast you have choice

Chrixzy5
09-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Least your cities are known for something...what about Perth? Dullville.

Leasie
09-02-2010, 07:12 PM
ppsshhh don't diss our town, we have lots of things.... i can't think of any in perth right now but the rest of the state is made of awesome...and hey we have kings park.

Chrixzy5
09-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Kings Park? Haha that's really the best you can come up with. The only good things in Perth are you and me :P

Leasie
09-02-2010, 07:20 PM
:P there are other awesome things but most of them all state major cities have

Chrixzy5
09-02-2010, 07:24 PM
so anyway guys whatcha up to?

Cliff Face
09-03-2010, 04:33 AM
My brother used to live in Perth. He said it had the best weather of anywhere in Australia.

So maybe that's Perth's thing? Best weather.

And what am I up to? Waiting 3 hours for a doctor's appointment so I can get some antibiotics for my cough... and wishing the cough hadn't kept waking me up through the night. Grr.

And drinking coffee, of course. ;)

_Sian_
09-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeeco ffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee!
I would be drinking coffee at the moment. Strangely enough. And getting ready to work. Unfortunately not so much coffee there :Coffee:

Cliff Face
09-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Coffee is the best!

I'll be going to my doctor's appointment in about 1.5 hours and then I have to go shopping for essentials, and while I'm shopping, COFFEE!

mccardey
09-03-2010, 06:25 AM
I've been a fan of Australian films since around 1980, when the BBC used to show seasons of them - that was when I first saw several classics from the 70s film revival, such as Picnic at Hanging Rock.

I

Eyeblink - did you ever see "Wake In Fright"? My father-in-law produced it - excellent film!

Cliff - betcha the doc says to lay off the coffee.... :tongue

Cliff Face
09-03-2010, 06:42 AM
If he tells me to lay off the coffee, I'll pour myself a big cup and say, "You're fired!" before downing the whole thing in 30 seconds.

But yes, I'm aware that milk isn't good when you have the flu.

Cliff Face
09-03-2010, 10:38 AM
It's been raining buckets today. I think we caught some of Melbourne's weather... I'll make sure to notify the Sun God Ra that in summer Melbourne should take part of our heatwave as compensation... y'know, out of the goodness of my heart. ;)

*whistles innocently*

mccardey
09-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Apparently Victoria is about the get the worst flooding in 15 years.....

Who's in Melbourne? We'll send you food parcels.....

Cliff Face
09-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Wild weather in Australia all round it seems.

And the silly thing is, winter ended 3 days ago and we didn't get nearly as big a downpour during winter.

If you ask me, they've got the seasons wrong by a month.

Mandy-Jane
09-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Apparently Victoria is about the get the worst flooding in 15 years.....

Who's in Melbourne? We'll send you food parcels.....

I'm in Victoria, but not Melbourne; Gippsland. And I don't think we're going to get quite as much rain this time around (for a change).

_Sian_
09-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm in North East Vic - they've been sandbagging a nearby road and they're telling people to get ready to evacuate in some streets, and all these SES people have turned up on the main road...
Maybe they're overacting, maybe not. They keep talking about between 100 and 150 mils, which is flooding type of rain.

I'm ready to be impressed. More likely it's not going to turn up.

Cliff Face
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
10-15cm of rain?! Ye gods! Better buy property at the top of a hill, then all you've got to worry about is lightning! (Which can be neatly avoided by having rubber roofing...)

fredXgeorge
09-04-2010, 03:09 AM
GO SAINTERSSSSSSSSS!

eyeblink
09-04-2010, 03:36 AM
Eyeblink - did you ever see "Wake In Fright"? My father-in-law produced it - excellent film!

Yes - I finally got to see that at the end of last year when it came out on DVD. It had been almost impossible to see up to then - and was almost lost forever. It had a UK cinema release in 1970 (when I was too young to see it, as it had an X certificate, meaning over-18s only) but as far as I know has never been on UK television, nor has had a video or DVD release.

I have a review online over at Home Cinema@The Digital Fix. It is an excellent film.

_Sian_
09-04-2010, 04:48 AM
@fredxgeorge - WE WOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Suck that geelong! :)
in other news, it seems as if they're about ready to evacuate ballart from rain (this is based on abc radio, so correct me if I'm wrong). Good luck to anyone over there and keep off the roads :)

Cliff Face
09-04-2010, 05:21 AM
I've been to Ballarat before.

Meanwhile, it's raining here again today, but not as bad as yesterday.

Last night mum told me how a colleague of hers had both her sons ring her within fifteen minutes of each other yesterday. The first one was at home, and reported that lightning had hit the carport roof. The second one was walking home, and reported that lightning hit just across the street from him.

Yeah.

fredXgeorge
09-04-2010, 07:18 AM
@fredxgeorge - WE WOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Suck that geelong! :)
in other news, it seems as if they're about ready to evacuate ballart from rain (this is based on abc radio, so correct me if I'm wrong). Good luck to anyone over there and keep off the roads :)
Haha YAY!

Ooh maybe I should put the radio on if I'm going to be evacuated lol

Leasie
09-04-2010, 06:30 PM
I miss the rain well not really, but we've had the second driest winter in Perth, so we haven't seen a lot of it. But I would have to agree Perth. Perth Weather is awesome, Afternoon seabreeze, rarely humid, a few days above 40 a year but not too many and almost all the rain concentrated into winter...

_Sian_
09-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Anyone been to Townsville/lives there? I'm moving up there next year to start uni at JCU, and I was wondering what it was like. I've only been once, and that was for the med interview. As such, all I saw was grumpy interviewers. I'm pretty sure there's more to the place then that :P

Cliff Face
09-05-2010, 07:00 AM
I'm afraid to tell you, but Townsville IS in fact made up purely of grumpy interviewers. :D

Meanwhile, I had no idea they had a Uni there...

Cliff Face
09-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Oh, and Happy Father's Day Australia!

_Sian_
09-05-2010, 01:59 PM
:Jaw:

Damn it cliff, did you have to tell me that? I planned to live out the months before I moved in complete innocence of that fact
Noooooooooooooo :Headbang:

Cliff Face
09-05-2010, 02:14 PM
:D Sorry.

Chrixzy5
09-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah Perth has pretty good weather. :)

Cliff Face
09-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Breaking News: Julia Gillard has formed a minority Government with 3 Independents and the Greens MP, making her officially Prime Minister.

*celebrates*

:D:D:D

fredXgeorge
09-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Breaking News: Julia Gillard has formed a minority Government with 3 Independents and the Greens MP, making her officially Prime Minister.

*celebrates*

:D:D:D
That's disgusting.

Disgustingly good!:hooray: