• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a beta reader for a dark fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvirnith

Dark Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronaldcraft.com
Hello folks. I'm fairly new to the forums, but I'd like to hope I can find a comfy place around here soon enough. I've been subbing this manuscript for a while, and I had finally gotten a request for a full. I felt what my MS was right up this publisher's alley, and waited... and waited... and got rejected today.

So, with all of my potential agents exhausted and few options left to me, I've decided to go on another round of revising. However, in order to do that, I'd like the help of a beta reader (or readers).

Note: The entire novel has been through a round of editing, so it's not anywhere near rough draft status.

So, a little bit about the novel: It's dark fantasy, just over 108,000 words. It could be lumped in with epic fantasy too, but it's a very dark story. There's seven characters to follow throughout, each with their own agenda, and no heroes. No knights out to save the world.

The title of the novel is Bound by Fire.

It's a very real book with a character driven plot. The story is fantasy, but I do my best to make everything believable and fit into my world. Nobody shoots fireballs out of their fingertips and everything has a reason for being the way it is.

Anyway, here's what the editor told me in her response:

I have read through your manuscript, and have decided to pass on your story at this time. You have a really well thought out and developed story, but it needs a little bit of polish. Something to keep in mind during your next revision: watch for wordy passages that detract from the style and pacing of your prose.

Thinking on it, I'm sure she has a point. I need someone that can help me spot things like that. I have a thing with comma's where I tend to use them after "and" when I don't really need to. It's mostly a style choice over anything else, so just ignore them. Most of my writing is done well technically. I just need help with prose and obviously wordy passages.

Anyway, if you're interested, or want to know more about the novel, please send a PM to me and we can chat a bit. I'd be willing to send you a couple of chapters as well so you can test it out and see if you're into it or not.

If you'd like to do a swap, I wouldn't mind, but I'm only interested in reading YA fantasy or similar types of fantasy to what I write at the moment. I'm not, and haven't ever really been, all that interested in anything outside of the fantasy genre.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.