PDA

View Full Version : Emmy nominations

rhymegirl
07-08-2010, 11:16 PM
So, I was watching them announce this year's Emmy nominations this morning and....

LOST was nominated for best drama along with my fave, Matthew Fox for best actor in a drama! Yay! I don't think he's ever been nominated before.

maestrowork
07-09-2010, 12:32 AM
No, I think this is Fox's first nomination (for LOST anyway). And two other cast members are nominated (supporting actors): Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson. The acting on the show was just really good.

katiemac
07-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Elizabeth Mitchell is also nominated for guest appearance.

I really like the Emmy list this year. I'm pleased to see the majority of the Modern Family cast on the list (especially Julie Bowen, coincidentally another LOST alum), in addition to Jane Lynch and Chris Colfer (! surprising but deserved). I don't understand the nomination for Matthew Morrison, but I suppose I have to get over it. And then there are our expecteds: Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin, Hugh Laurie, Jon Hamm, Michael C. Hall....

I'm also very, very pleased to see Matthew Fox. He damn well better take the award this year.

Toothpaste
07-09-2010, 01:03 AM
I am very pleased with all the LOST nominations, but while I understand that they can't nominate every actor from that show I am always quite surprised at the consistent overlooking of Josh Holloway. Maybe it's because his character began as a the "hot bad boy" so people don't take his work as seriously, but I think (aside from Michael Emerson), his acting has been the most consistent and most impressive throughout the show. It helps too that had had the most consistent story arc I suppose. He was the reason I was bawling buckets at the end of Season 5, and I'm still waiting for my Miles/Sawyer spin off cop show: They shoot first, ask questions later (yes, I'm still very attached to that tag line I invented :) ).

maestrowork
07-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Elizabeth Mitchell is also nominated for guest appearance.

Surprised. Her appearances were really kind of brief (the season opener to tie up season 5) and the finale. But I also admit she had a great arc, great scenes, and hers with Sawyer at the end just pleased me to no end. Plus she's hot.

ETA: she was nominated for the finale, and I can see why. They saved her (the best) for last. Like I said, her scene with Sawyer was the highlight of a phenomenal finale.

Toothpaste
07-09-2010, 01:44 AM
I think her nomination is a bit like the Oscars saving the nominations for LOTR till the third film. I think in general that's what all these LOST noms feel like to me. That now that it's wrapped up they can praise it. So even though they have to specify which episode she was nominated for, the fact is, I'm pretty sure she was just nominated for her body of work in that show which was outstanding. I know people really didn't enjoy Season 3, but for me that's where the series took off. Why? Because of her introduction to the show, and the revelation of Ben as the leader of the Others. Those two actors made me want to watch week after week.

Celia Cyanide
07-09-2010, 01:51 AM
ETA: she was nominated for the finale, and I can see why. They saved her (the best) for last. Like I said, her scene with Sawyer was the highlight of a phenomenal finale.

That scene had me bawling like a baby!

I wish Vincent Kartheiser had been nominated for MAD MEN. I haven't even seen much of the show, but I wish he got more credit. He rocks.

Ken
07-09-2010, 02:09 AM
... have heard of MAD MEN. Lady named Christina (?) Hendricks is in it. Been on the cover of many magazines lately that have been spotted at supermarkets by me. Should get an award imo. Her publicists have been spending lots of loot to get the public to notice her so seems only fair.

Toothpaste
07-09-2010, 03:11 AM
MAD MEN is a spectacular show, well written, directed and acted. Hendricks is a wonderful actress and yes, fine, pretty hot too. You should actually check this show out, I guarantee you've never seen anything like it on television.

Uh, yeah, I'm a bit of a fan. :)

CACTUSWENDY
07-09-2010, 03:42 AM
I think that Jim Parson as Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory is a blast. It would be nice to see him win.

maestrowork
07-09-2010, 06:25 AM
I think that Jim Parson as Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory is a blast. It would be nice to see him win.

Ditto. Last year he lost to the guy from 2 1/2 Men.. Ugh.

Smileycat
07-09-2010, 10:42 AM
I am very pleased with all the LOST nominations, but while I understand that they can't nominate every actor from that show I am always quite surprised at the consistent overlooking of Josh Holloway. Maybe it's because his character began as a the "hot bad boy" so people don't take his work as seriously, but I think (aside from Michael Emerson), his acting has been the most consistent and most impressive throughout the show. It helps too that had had the most consistent story arc I suppose. He was the reason I was bawling buckets at the end of Season 5, and I'm still waiting for my Miles/Sawyer spin off cop show: They shoot first, ask questions later (yes, I'm still very attached to that tag line I invented :) ).

I'm pretty sure it's because he was a model.

Smileycat
07-09-2010, 10:43 AM
That scene had me bawling like a baby!

I wish Vincent Kartheiser had been nominated for MAD MEN. I haven't even seen much of the show, but I wish he got more credit. He rocks.

He's adorable. He played Angel's son on Angel, didn't he? Quite a departure from his role on Mad Men.

Ken
07-09-2010, 02:47 PM
... will give MAD MEN a try and watch an episode. Guess it'd be okay if I break my vow this once of avoiding everything produced after 1951. Shh ;-)

maestrowork
07-09-2010, 06:35 PM
I watched Mad Men a few times... it's a good show but I have to be in the right mood for it.

katiemac
07-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Ditto. Last year he lost to the guy from 2 1/2 Men.. Ugh.

Jon Cryer is supporting. Parsons lost to Alec Baldwin.

Either way... I am disappointed to see Jon Cryer on the list again this year. I didn't think he needed to take the win last year when the nominees in that category are so talented. But with the Modern Family men in the running now it will go to one of them instead.

Celia Cyanide
07-09-2010, 08:07 PM
He's adorable. He played Angel's son on Angel, didn't he? Quite a departure from his role on Mad Men.

Yes, he did. I'm a fan of his earlier film work in Another Day In Paradise and Crime & Punishment In Suburbia. He's pretty awesome.

AerostarMonk
07-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Absolutely no love for Community? It's easily one of the best comedies out there today.

Also upset that John Noble didn't get a nomination for Fringe. The show was hit or miss this year. It was hit or miss last year as well. But John Noble has been constantly great throughout.

Congrats to Michael Giacchino for Lost. I definitely hope he wins. Although I wish Bear McCreary wouldn't have been snubbed for his fantastic score for Human Target.

Smileycat
07-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Yes, he did. I'm a fan of his earlier film work in Another Day In Paradise and Crime & Punishment In Suburbia. He's pretty awesome.

I like him, too.

Wavy_Blue
07-11-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm liking these nominations a lot. I'm very glad to see Modern Family and Glee snapping up so many noms, especially Chris Colfer and Lea Michele. They're so talented. Not so sure Matthew Morrison deserves to be on there, though.

As long as Jim Parsons, wins that category, though, I'll be happy.

Psybolt
07-23-2010, 08:22 PM
I have to say that LOST is my all time favorite show and I hope it sweeps these Emmys!