• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Black hole blows huge gas bubble

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10555633.stm
A small black hole has been observed blowing a vast bubble of hot gas 1,000 light-years across.

The gas is expanding because it is being heated by powerful particle "jets" being released by the black hole.

The observations were made by the Very Large Telescope in Chile and Nasa's Chandra space observatory.

Astronomers have unveiled the findings in the latest edition of Nature journal.

As if it's not problem enough to factor in having your space fleet avoid black holes, they could be shooting at you while you alter course! (Or indeed, as you intentionally plot a course to approach them, intending to use their gravity well to jump to FTL.)

-Derek

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Well that blows.

HA! See what I did there? Hahahaheheheheee... <crickets>

Wait, no one?

Sigh.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hum...would that be considered a belch or a fart? (ops....did I say that out loud?) :tongue

This info should make for some good stories.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The observations were made by the Very Large Telescope in Chile and Nasa's Chandra space observatory.

is that the technical name?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It is! There's also the VSA (Very Small Array), the VLA (Very Large Array) and the E-ELT (European Extremely Large Telescope). :)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I guess this finally kills Hawking's pet idea that black holes destroy information.
Nothing to do with that. Black holes ejecting particle jets is nothing new or special, what's rare about this case is that there's actually something there for the polar jets to hit.
The jets are the result of matter heating up as it spirals inwards to the black hole, they're not the result of a black hole as such, similar jets can be ejected from neutron stars, or even from stellar accretion discs. Hawking radiation is a completely different matter.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing to do with that. Black holes ejecting particle jets is nothing new or special, what's rare about this case is that there's actually something there for the polar jets to hit.
The jets are the result of matter heating up as it spirals inwards to the black hole, they're not the result of a black hole as such, similar jets can be ejected from neutron stars, or even from stellar accretion discs. Hawking radiation is a completely different matter.

Oh! I thought it was physically coming out of the black hole. And if something is coming out of it, then it would be reasonable on my ignorant behalf to assume that it was a different configuration of what had gone in. :)