Iranian widow faces execution by stoning

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Human rights groups, government officials and celebrities are appealing to Iran to halt death-by-stoning plans for a convicted adulterer.

The execution of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, 43, who has already spent five years in prison and received 99 lashes for alleged adultery, would "disgust and appall the watching world", the British Government declared, according to a Thursday report in U.K. newspaper The Times.

Read more here...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38140909/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa?GT1=43001

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
random thoughts:

she should have thought about that before she became a hussy.

any discussion of human rights abuses in iran makes you a hawk who wants to bomb brown people.

i posted about this in the honor killing thread and it got no traction. tres ironic.

misogyny is almost exclusively carried out by white westerners, and for you to bring up this isolated incident from the middle east means that you are anti-islam and probably a racist.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
random thoughts:

she should have thought about that before she became a hussy.

any discussion of human rights abuses in iran makes you a hawk who wants to bomb brown people.

i posted about this in the honor killing thread and it got no traction. tres ironic.

misogyny is almost exclusively carried out by white westerners, and for you to bring up this isolated incident from the middle east means that you are anti-islam and probably a racist.

Yep... bitch broke the law. She should've thought about that beforehand.

Although I don't agree that my bringing this up makes me anti-Islam or racist, because this obviously has nothing to do with misogyny.

(I may need something more heavy-duty than Kuwi's sarcasm icon. ;))

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
The article said "as early as this week-end". I can't wrap my mind around the violence involved in this story. They'll bury her up to her breasts and stone her to death. I've read other cases where it takes many, many stones to actually kill someone. If they go through with this I pray that the first one is all it takes for her. I'm so disgusted about this I can't even stand it.

BTW, what's gonna happen to the men with whom she had "illicit relations"? Ooooohhhhhhh that's right...only women are slutty and disgusting enough to kill over sex. Where TF are the American women's groups? The names and groups listed in the article don't include many super high profile activist groups.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Gah. I've been watching with complete horror as this story develops, too. And I agree - where are all the high-profile women's rights groups and human rights organizations? Where the hell are Hillary Clinton and Obama, for that matter? It's not that either of them have any authority to DO something about this -- but they could at least speak out.

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
The article said "as early as this week-end". I can't wrap my mind around the violence involved in this story. They'll bury her up to her breasts and stone her to death. I've read other cases where it takes many, many stones to actually kill someone. If they go through with this I pray that the first one is all it takes for her. I'm so disgusted about this I can't even stand it.

BTW, what's gonna happen to the men with whom she had "illicit relations"? Ooooohhhhhhh that's right...only women are slutty and disgusting enough to kill over sex. Where TF are the American women's groups? The names and groups listed in the article don't include many super high profile activist groups.
Maybe they're out picketing Promise Keepers.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Serious questions here: Are they all too gun shy to actually speak out? Are they afraid of criticizing anyone in the ME? Being called racist? Being accused of being imperialist Americans imposing their will on the world?

That's the only thing I can think of that would zip the lips that are normally so outspoken in this country.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
one dead iranian whore is not worth pissing off the russians into thinking we're not playing along with the (winkwink) charade that iran is years away from a nuke nor is it worth the far left having a hissy fit that obama is following in the neocon footsteps of being an israel-luvvin' hawk who wants to bomb iran.

look, obama and his admin mealy-mouthed their way through the whole green revolution, even as the world watched kids murdered in the streets.

you think he's going to go out on a limb over a religious punishment?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
one dead iranian whore is not worth pissing off the russians into thinking we're not playing along with the (winkwink) charade that iran is years away from a nuke nor is it worth the far left having a hissy fit that obama is following in the neocon footsteps of being an israel-luvvin' hawk who wants to bomb iran.

look, obama and his admin mealy-mouthed their way through the whole green revolution, even as the world watched kids murdered in the streets.

you think he's going to go out on a limb over a religious punishment?

my bold

If he's a decent f-ing person he will.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
a letter from her children:
Today we stretch out our hands to the people of the whole world. It is now five years that we have lived in fear and in horror, deprived of motherly love. Is the world so cruel that it can watch this catastrophe and do nothing about it?

We are Sakine Mohammadi e Ashtiani’s children, Fasride and Sajjad Mohamamadi e Ashtiani. Since our childhood we have been acquainted with the pain of knowing that our mother is imprisoned and awaiting a catastrophe. To tell the truth, the term "stoning" is so horrific that we try never to use it. We instead say our mother is in danger, she might be killed, and she deserves everyone’s help.

Today, when nearly all options have reached dead-ends, and our mother’s lawyer says that she is in a dangerous situation, we resort to you. We resort to the people of the world, no matter who you are and where in the world you live. We resort to you, people of Iran, all of you who have experienced the pain and anguish of the horror of losing a loved one.

Please help our mother return home!

We especially stretch our hand out to the Iranians living abroad. Help to prevent this nightmare from becoming reality. Save our mother. We are unable to explain the anguish of every moment, every second of our lives. Words are unable to articulate our fear…

Help to save our mother. Write to and ask officials to free her. Tell them that she doesn’t have a civil complainant and has not done any wrong. Our mother should not be killed. Is there any one hearing this and rushing to our assistance?

Faride and Sajjad Mohammadi e Ashtiani

Disseminated by the Committee Against Stoning
Mina Ahadi
+49 177 569 2413

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=67404

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Serious questions here: Are they all too gun shy to actually speak out? Are they afraid of criticizing anyone in the ME? Being called racist? Being accused of being imperialist Americans imposing their will on the world?

That's the only thing I can think of that would zip the lips that are normally so outspoken in this country.
Serious answer (my opinion, of course):

The feminist groups have traditionally been Democratic Left. Opposition to Middle East Muslim countries has been a mostly Republican Right issue (at least since Bush invaded). It would be embarassing to suddenly have to agree with the opposition, so they say nothing.

They're not the only ones. Republicans go curiously silent when Israel bombs civilians.

It's a shame, but politics often trumps ideology.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I should have thanked you, Haskins, for the link. It did get traction, just the silent type. Like her kids said:

To tell the truth, the term "stoning" is so horrific that we try never to use it.

I had a coworker who had lived in Saudi Arabia and described a public set of executions, including a stoning of a woman hanging in a sack. It still makes me physically ill to think about. It makes me ill that he could stand there and watch it, too... and his matter-of-fact inflection :( He just said, "Well, that's their culture."

If it's the 21st century, it's not just their culture. We should all speak out strongly.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
He just said, "Well, that's their culture."

If it's the 21st century, it's not just their culture. We should all speak out strongly.

The guy is right technically- it is their culture. The problem is that some people think that's reason enough to defend it.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Culture or not, one has to think the people who sanction this sort of thing, get a little perverse high out of the act. Back in the day, a hanging in America was a social event. ...And since women are determined to be somewhat less than human, or half a man or whatever, it seems that to most people in the culture the loss is hardly that tragic, especially considering the old adage that "all press is good press".

thewakingself

Plays with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I'm glad I've been lurking around P&CE long enough to figure out when some of you are being facetious. :)

This whole situation is appalling. While the story's made its rounds on several feminist sites, you can count me in with those surprised it hasn't received wider recognition from women's rights groups like NOW. I really don't think it's a partisan issue, though; NOW's denounced other stonings (waaaay back in 2002). Maybe they're letting the human rights groups like HRW take up that torch? I don't know. Amnesty International also highlighted this issue last week, citing this specific case.

Not that either will likely make Iran stay Ashtiani's execution... or prevent future ones.

[Mina Ahadi] said that after the campaign was launched last week, she received phone calls from the families of two other women kept in Tabriz prison, where Sakineh is, revealing that they are also convicted of adultery and sentenced to death by stoning. Azar Bagheri, 19, and Marian Ghorbanzadeh, 25, are their names, Ahadi disclosed.

"Azar was arrested when she was just 15. They couldn't punish her before she became 18 years old according to the law, so they waited until now … and want to stone her to death," Ahadi said. She has been subjected to mock stonings, complete with partial burial in the ground. "They're preparing her for the real one," said Ahadi.

Ahadi who has been following the stoning sentence in Iran over the past few years says that she is aware of the names of 12 other women who are sentenced to death by stoning in Iran at the moment.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/02/iranian-woman-stoning-death-penalty

After reading the above, I'm with Don Allen about it being a form of perverse pleasure, and I also think it's a way to demonstrate power over women, intending to keep them frightened and "in their place". Just sick, regardless of culture.

There's a "Save Sakineh" petition located here if anyone's interested. It had a pitiful 10,100 signatures when I signed.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Do I detect a little whining that your thread didn't get play??? Boo fucking Hoo.

no. first off, it wasn't my thread. secondly, the fact that it didn't get play hardly hurts my feelings; rather, it underscores the selective outrage of many of the posters here, which i find amusing and use as fodder moving forward.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Serious answer (my opinion, of course):

The feminist groups have traditionally been Democratic Left. Opposition to Middle East Muslim countries has been a mostly Republican Right issue (at least since Bush invaded). It would be embarassing to suddenly have to agree with the opposition, so they say nothing.

They're not the only ones. Republicans go curiously silent when Israel bombs civilians.

It's a shame, but politics often trumps ideology.

I'm not sure why there isn't more outrage on the left, either. Before 9/11, there certainly was - the left harshly condemned the Taliban for their treatment of women, for example. The only person I can remember from the right joining them in any vocal way in criticizing the Taliban on that issue back then was Laura Bush.

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zamyatin-lives.blogspot.com
It's a sad story. I signed the petition.

I don't get this "selective outrage" meme. I fail to see how it means anything or accomplishes anything.

How many conservative organizations make statements about the little girls who undergo genital mutilation here in the US to "correct" clitoromegaly? Or about the prevalence of FGM among Christian populations in Egypt and throughout Africa? Or about the epidemic of domestic violence here in the US?

Guess they only care about violence against women when Muslims do it. Right?

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
no. first off, it wasn't my thread. secondly, the fact that it didn't get play hardly hurts my feelings; rather, it underscores the selective outrage of many of the posters here, which i find amusing and use as fodder moving forward.

Okay, cause the last thing anyone around here would want to do is hurt your feelings. I gotta a hanky if you need...
:D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are they stoning the two men she supposedly had illicit relations with to death? Were they lashed 99 times and imprisoned for 5 years?

The silence from the powerful political women is wrong. There but for the grace of where they were born it could be them

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Okay, cause the last thing anyone around here would want to do is hurt your feelings. I gotta a hanky if you need...
:D

no it's okay.

i hope you can do better at trying to publicly break my balls in the future. this was lame...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't think there is a great conspiracy. Some stories get picked up and get publicity and others don't. Women are being killed under similar circumstances somewhere in the world every week. Rather than think up reasons wyy other people (like 'the feminists') are doing "their" job--why not try and think of a way to help her. How about an AW-based blog ring about this woman trying to spread her story wider than this little thread? I'll start tonight--anyone wanting to join can PM me.

Last edited: