Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
This morning when looking at a popular writer's magazine, I noticed an ad in the back for a writing coach. Apparently this person can teach you how to write, overcome blocks and really make sense of the words you are trying to organize onto paper. They offered an introductory package, but not the price. I am a real skeptic when it comes to reading stuff like this. SCAM is generally my first thought (as it was today). I could be wrong, though....

Have any of you ever utilized a writing coach? What was your experience? Did you learn anything?

I believe strongly in mentors, writing workshops, reading (reading, reading, reading!), and learning all we can about the craft. However, I have a difficult time believing that one person can really learn how to write from another person.

Please share your thoughts.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think the whole concept has SUCKER! written all over it.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hear hear, SP!

There are simply too many free ways to improve your craft. There's SYW, betas, and critique groups. And in the end, there's my own gut.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Inherently writers tend to need a bit of a encouragement to keep going. I think any way you can get it is worth while. I don't see someone magically "teaching" you to write because writing can't be taught in a conventional sense.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I think the whole concept has SUCKER! written all over it.

Yes indeed!

The ad starts off with: "want help over that writing hurdle?" She teaches you how to overcome writer's block, clarify your ideas and get started and keep writing. Call now for a special introductory package!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Inherently writers tend to need a bit of a encouragement to keep going. I think any way you can get it is worth while. I don't see someone magically "teaching" you to write because writing can't be taught in a conventional sense.

That depends upon the writer. :)

I agree with you that writing cannot be taught. You must first know how to write before you can hone those skills.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I think one person can learn quite a deal about writing from another person. That's what workshops, crit groups, classes and the like do, only with a writing coach, it's more focused and there's more personal interaction. I think there is a difference in the quality of learning (if the writing coach is legit) -- similar to taking private tennis lessons as opposed to group ones. If you don't have some athletic ability and coordination, neither is going to turn you into a good player, but if you've got talent and the right coach, you could shave years off your development. And if you get a bad coach, you could spend years trying to retrain yourself to do things right later down the line.

There's nothing wrong with paying for someone's expertise as long as you're sure about what you're getting. Of course there are lots of free options out there, too.

Nicole

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a problem with debt?

Want cheaper car insurance?

Have you had an accident at work?

Need help writing?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I'm pretty sure my 19 year old student thinks she's learning from me. I'm paid to be her writing mentor/tutor/coach.

I don't know about the ad but I'm quite certain, I'm not scamming anyone. And yes, you can learn to write from someone. That's what teaching is all about.

Can I give her a gift for writing? No, she has to work for that. But I can teach her mechanics, help her to find her voice and demand she go through painstakingly exercises and a butt load of homework every week during the summer months.

ETA: and to be clear, the saying, "money flows to the writer not away" does not apply to legitimate coursework or training. It is our obligation as writers to learn our craft the best way we can. And while free help is a great thing, some of us need more than that.

I am a student myself. I'm currently enrolled in a writing course. I am working on a degree as well. I don't think it's ever a waste to expand our knowledge or talents but it's wise to make sure we are getting what we paid for.

Last edited:

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
I have a mentor. He could be called a "coach". He would laugh at the title mentor and would say we are just friends.

I don't pay him to be my mentor, as he is a personal friend, but I do pay to attend his workshops. He says that working with "apprentice writers", as he calls us, keeps him sharp in his craft.

The difference is, I know him, and have for about 5 years before we began working together. He has an excellent resume: nonfiction, that has won awards in it's niche, dozens of freelance articles, 3 novels, and 20 years as a report for a major city newspaper.

But I didn't find him in the back of a magazine. I met him at a writers' conference.

And writing can be taught, the same as singing, dance, painting, etc, can be taught. Of course, you have to bring talent and motivation (among other things) to the table.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I have a published writer friend that used a writing coach and she loved the experience. She also noted that she wouldn't have been able to write it without one. Her book The Favorite Child by Ellen Weber Libby is an excellent read. She also met her agent at a conference during a pitch session. I believe writing coach's are useful if you can afford it, don't have the time to research or take a clase or you prefer one-on-one attention. As with anything, do your research, check references and remember having a writing coach is not a guarantee to get published.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I think one person can learn quite a deal about writing from another person. That's what workshops, crit groups, classes and the like do, only with a writing coach, it's more focused and there's more personal interaction. I think there is a difference in the quality of learning (if the writing coach is legit) -- similar to taking private tennis lessons as opposed to group ones. If you don't have some athletic ability and coordination, neither is going to turn you into a good player, but if you've got talent and the right coach, you could shave years off your development. And if you get a bad coach, you could spend years trying to retrain yourself to do things right later down the line.

There's nothing wrong with paying for someone's expertise as long as you're sure about what you're getting. Of course there are lots of free options out there, too.

Nicole

Nicole,

Absolutely, there is nothing wrong with paying for a service. My problem is the advertisement that this person can help one overcome writer's block, clarify ideas and keep writing. She has a great introductory package (but you don't get the price, you must call!).

It's those buzz-phrases that can pull a new writer in, or one who may not have the self confidence to just keep writing. So, I don't know if this service is an actual scam, because I've never used it before.

I am all for workshops, seminars, writers clubs, books on writing, books in general, and those all cost money. Critique groups are fun too. But, I think just sitting down and writing, and treating our writing as work, is the best free teacher out there.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Nicole

Anyone qualified to be a writing coach almost certainly wouldn't need to be a writing coach. If you have talent, the last thing on earth you need, or should want, is a writing coach. If you have no talent, the writing coach isn't going to help.

Too many new writers are willing to hand money over to anyone offering help. There's s substantial difference between a good workshop and a writing coach, and even the best workshop isn't going to make you a writer. Most workshops are as useless as writing coaches. The best workshops are primarily about business, not about actually teaching you how to write.

Writing isn't like tennis lessons, though even there, a private coach only helps those who are already very, very good, and the best private tennis coachs are, or were, very good pros themselves.

But this is like a dozen otehr scams out there. There will always be those who try to make their living by promising others their dreams will come true, if they're willing to hand over the money. Writers seem to be more susceptible to this promise than any other group out there.

I'm all for shelling out money for education, but a writing coach is not an education.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I'm pretty sure my 19 year old student thinks she's learning from me. I'm paid to be her writing mentor/tutor/coach.

I don't know about the ad but I'm quite certain, I'm not scamming anyone. And yes, you can learn to write from someone. That's what teaching is all about.

Can I give her a gift for writing? No, she has to work for that. But I can teach her mechanics, help her to find her voice and demand she go through painstakingly exercises and a butt load of homework every week during the summer months.

ETA: and to be clear, the saying, "money flows to the writer not away" does not apply to legitimate coursework or training. It is our obligation as writers to learn our craft the best way we can. And while free help is a great thing, some of us need more than that.

I am a student myself. I'm currently enrolled in a writing course. I am working on a degree as well. I don't think it's ever a waste to expand our knowledge or talents but it's wise to make sure we are getting what we paid for.

Different issue with your daughter. This is for scholastic reasons, correct? Kids need help with schoolwork, etc.

But, why put an advertisement in a magazine for writers? Because it's a writers dream to be published. Get a writing coach!

I agree, it is up to us to pay for workshops, training,etc. But, as I said, my issue is with the advertisement itself, not the writers who choose to use it.

I took a year and a half writing workshop through our local college several years ago. Our instructor is published and knows the craft very well. That class helped me tremendously. I am also part of a writer's club, which keeps me connected with writers in my area, some of them best selling authors. Connections with other writers is good. A writing course is wonderful.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I have a published writer friend that used a writing coach and she loved the experience. She also noted that she wouldn't have been able to write it without one. Her book The Favorite Child by Ellen Weber Libby is an excellent read. She also met her agent at a conference during a pitch session. I believe writing coach's are useful if you can afford it, don't have the time to research or take a clase or you prefer one-on-one attention. As with anything, do your research, check references and remember having a writing coach is not a guarantee to get published.

Success stories are always nice. Thank you so much for sharing this. :)

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Anyone qualified to be a writing coach almost certainly wouldn't need to be a writing coach. If you have talent, the last thing on earth you need, or should want, is a writing coach. If you have no talent, the writing coach isn't going to help.

Too many new writers are willing to hand money over to anyone offering help. There's s substantial difference between a good workshop and a writing coach, and even the best workshop isn't going to make you a writer. Most workshops are as useless as writing coaches. The best workshops are primarily about business, not about actually teaching you how to write.

Writing isn't like tennis lessons, though even there, a private coach only helps those who are already very, very good, and the best private tennis coachs are, or were, very good pros themselves.

But this is like a dozen otehr scams out there. There will always be those who try to make their living by promising others their dreams will come true, if they're willing to hand over the money. Writers seem to be more susceptible to this promise than any other group out there.

I'm all for shelling out money for education, but a writing coach is not an education.

Exactly!

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Nicole,

Absolutely, there is nothing wrong with paying for a service. My problem is the advertisement that this person can help one overcome writer's block, clarify ideas and keep writing. She has a great introductory package (but you don't get the price, you must call!).

It's those buzz-phrases that can pull a new writer in, or one who may not have the self confidence to just keep writing. So, I don't know if this service is an actual scam, because I've never used it before.

I am all for workshops, seminars, writers clubs, books on writing, books in general, and those all cost money. Critique groups are fun too. But, I think just sitting down and writing, and treating our writing as work, is the best free teacher out there.

I was only answering the question if it's possible to learn writing from another person. I definitely wouldn't go looking for a coach that advertised in a magazine, but there are people out there who are capable, caring, and willing to help. It's really difficult to judge just how much you don't know, if you don't know it. My experience with a writing coach was a very positive one with someone I knew personally who had once worked in the biz.

Neither of these seem like givens to me. There are qualified people out there who like to share their knowledge with others. It doesn't make them a scammer if they make money from it, as long as they're not promising the moon. Yes, it's a business, but there's nothing inherently evil about business.

If you have talent, there are many ways to improve your craft, one of those being having a writing coach. And like you said, if there's no talent, nothing's going to help.

This is true, but that doesn't make it necessarily a bad thing. That's why it's important to find the right coach/workshop if you're going that route. Just like anything else in life.

Yes.

Making promises like in this ad could be considered scamming, and the majority of people who are truely trying to be helpful probably aren't qualified to do so, and could end up hurting. But writers can get hurtful advice whether they pay for it or not. Some people can navigate their writing career on their own, and others will need help along the way. Figuring out the best way to get that help is the key, and it will vary from individual to individual.

Which is a perfectly fine opinion, though it's one I don't agree with.

Nicole

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone qualified to be a writing coach almost certainly wouldn't need to be a writing coach.
Why is that? I'd like to know why I don't NEED to be a "coach". It helps me put food on the table.

jar said:
If you have talent, the last thing on earth you need, or should want, is a writing coach. If you have no talent, the writing coach isn't going to help.
Why wouldn't they need or want a coach? You are projecting your own feelings here. Back up your opinion. Just because someone might not have the kind of talent that others might, doesn't mean they can't develop it.

jar said:

Again, let's see some statistics here that back up what you are saying. You paint with too wide a brush, sir.

Jar said:

There is no shame in making a living by being a coach or mentor or tutor. Whatever the name you want to label it. I've never promised this young girl that her dreams will come true. I've told her it will take a lot of dedication, hard work and there will be times when she doesn't want to do it anymore. Should that time come she must speak up. I told her that writing isn't easy, but that I believed she must always do something that makes her happy and to follow her dreams.

Different issue with your daughter. This is for scholastic reasons, correct? Kids need help with schoolwork, etc.

But, why put an advertisement in a magazine for writers? Because it's a writers dream to be published. Get a writing coach!

I agree, it is up to us to pay for workshops, training,etc. But, as I said, my issue is with the advertisement itself, not the writers who choose to use it.

I took a year and a half writing workshop through our local college several years ago. Our instructor is published and knows the craft very well. That class helped me tremendously. I am also part of a writer's club, which keeps me connected with writers in my area, some of them best selling authors. Connections with other writers is good. A writing course is wonderful.
I don't think you really read my post.

First, my student is not my daughter. My daughter is 25 years old, in college and I certainly wouldn't charge her to have my help. Second, this isn't for academics.

Her mother found me when she was showing my house to some perspective clients. After asking me about all things in my office that indicate my passion for writing and when she heard that I tutor for various reasons, one of them being for creative writing, she asked for my card. Her daughter is 19 and wants to be a YA author. The girl shows remarkable imagination and has a way with presenting her story but she suffers from severe ADD and in working with her and considering her facial features and other handicaps, I realized her mother doesn't want to admit she has, to a certain extent down syndrome.

Her mother told her, that I'm her mentor during our joint meeting. The girl was thrilled to have someone to guide her and help her develop not only her skills but to encourage her with her dreams.

Every week for two hours we work on structure, grammar, plot, character and world building. I give her tactile lessons to bring her into her imagination. She spends part of that time with a prompt and applying her lessons in practicing flash fiction.

If the time ever came that I built enough clients and had a solid portfolio filled with letters of reference, I will not hesitate to advertise in the local papers for more students.

Will I tutor for college and high school students. Sure why not. I don't mind teaching research and technical writing skills.

I'm working on building a writer's circle and I most certainly will charge for writing workshops. My creds? I'm not only a published poet and journalist, I'm freaking brilliant in my university studies. And quite honestly, I find it offensive when people carry on about a title that while some may use to cheat others, not everyone is like that.

I lost my job two years ago. This is one of the many jobs I do just to survive.

Not everything you see is a scam and I think it's time that writers, like everyone else, need to use their heads a bit and not just assume the worst. Sometimes these things are the real deal.

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I don't think you really read my post.

First, my student is not my daughter. My daughter is 25 years old, in college and I certainly wouldn't charge her to have my help. Second, this isn't for academics.

Her mother found me when she was showing my house to some perspective clients. After asking me about all things in my office that indicate my passion for writing and when she heard that I tutor for various reasons, one of them being for creative writing, she asked for my card. Her daughter is 19 and wants to be a YA author. The girl shows remarkable imagination and has a way with presenting her story but she suffers from severe ADD and in working with her and considering her facial features and other handicaps, I realized her mother doesn't want to admit she has, to a certain extent down syndrome.

Her mother told her, that I'm her mentor during our joint meeting. The girl was thrilled to have someone to guide her and help her develop not only her skills but to encourage her with her dreams.

Every week for two hours we work on structure, grammar, plot, character and world building. I give her tactile lessons to bring her into her imagination. She spends part of that time with a prompt and applying her lessons in practicing flash fiction.

If the time ever came that I built enough clients and had a solid portfolio filled with letters of reference, I will not hesitate to advertise in the local papers for more students.

Will I tutor for college and high school students. Sure why not. I don't mind teaching research and technical writing skills.

I'm working on building a writer's circle and I most certainly will charge for writing workshops. My creds? I'm not only a published poet and journalist, I'm freaking brilliant in my university studies. And quite honestly, I find it offensive when people carry on about a title that while some may use to cheat others, not everyone is like that.

I lost my job two years ago. This is one of the many jobs I do just to survive.

Not everything you see is a scam and I think it's time that writers, like everyone else, need to use their heads a bit and not just assume the worst. Sometimes these things are the real deal.

You are absolutely correct, I did misread your posting. I was in a hurry, because I have a day job as well. :)

When I was taking a statistics class for my degree, I employed a tutor, because I knew I could not do it alone. I needed help in understanding this type of math. Of course, I paid her. However, before I could ask her help, I already had a basic knowledge of math.

I think it's wonderful you are a tutor. But, I don't think tutoring is the same thing as a writing coach. Chances are, you are not teaching someone in the sense that they do not have a base knowledge, you are helping them to hone whatever skills they already have.

This writing coach basically promised to help you get over writer's block, organize ideas, and keep writers writing. I'm sure that's all true- for a price (which is not stated).

I don't think we can be taught how to write, but I think we can be taught the basics of grammar and linguistics, etc., which we usually learn at a young age. As writers, it is our responsibility to know how to sit down and write, to organize those ideas, and to make sure we stick to our writing schedule. Nobody else can do that for us, and we should not have anyone else encouraging us to do it either. Writing is work.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think we can be taught how to write, but I think we can be taught the basics of grammar and linguistics, etc., which we usually learn at a young age. As writers, it is our responsibility to know how to sit down and write, to organize those ideas, and to make sure we stick to our writing schedule. Nobody else can do that for us, and we should not have anyone else encouraging us to do it either. Writing is work.
But I am teaching her to do all that. She has no idea at 19 how to organize anything. She has difficulty doing the tasks I give her. So I told her again today, if you don't do your homework, you will sit here each week wasting valuable time and money doing what should have been done before you got here. And she smiled, (I found out she has a form of palsy) as best she could and said, Okay deal.

I sit with her until she can tough it out and express herself. I don't know that she's an ordinary student. I do know, that the more I'm with her, the better I feel about who I am and my taking her on. She's blessing my life in that I am forced to think about those things I tell her to do and make msyelf accountable for my own work. LOL. Funny how that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.