Stuck...help!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I signed a contract with a publisher three months ago to publish my first children's book. Nothing has been done yet with the exception of the typesetting (which I am not even sure that was started, I haven't seen anything yet)

Normally the editor says, "a project usually takes around 4 to 6 weeks" and with mine being that it has to get illustrated, it takes longer. Ok, granted I know it takes a while. But here's the thing. I always have to contact the editor for updates, he never contacts me first. And besides the point it's been three months and NOTHING is getting done.

What do I do? I don't want to bail out of it because this is my dream. I didn't have to pay anything, but legally I am binded to them. How do I get the ball rolling? Am I being to eager about this?

I keep asking for updates and ask can I talk to someone else about this? Yet he always says, "I'm sorry it's taking so long, thank you for your patience" and says he'll get on it, but he never does.

Help...what should I do?

And another thing I still can't seem to get an agent either, why is that?

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you probably can't get an agent because it's harder once the project is sold. But, don't fret. There is stuff getting done behind the scenes, you just haven't heard of it yet. Publishing is an excruciatingly slow process at times, and 3 months is really not that long. The time frames they give you are optimistic at best, so you should always expect it to take longer--they don't contact you until it's ready, so if they haven't, that means its still in the works. Just be patient. It'll happen. It's tough, but you'll get there.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the encouraging outlook of this. Patience is extremely difficult for me. But you're right, I will try to be.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I signed a contract with a publisher three months ago to publish my first children's book. Nothing has been done yet with the exception of the typesetting (which I am not even sure that was started, I haven't seen anything yet)

Normally the editor says, "a project usually takes around 4 to 6 weeks" and with mine being that it has to get illustrated, it takes longer. Ok, granted I know it takes a while. But here's the thing. I always have to contact the editor for updates, he never contacts me first. And besides the point it's been three months and NOTHING is getting done.

What do I do? I don't want to bail out of it because this is my dream. I didn't have to pay anything, but legally I am binded to them. How do I get the ball rolling? Am I being to eager about this?

I keep asking for updates and ask can I talk to someone else about this? Yet he always says, "I'm sorry it's taking so long, thank you for your patience" and says he'll get on it, but he never does.

Help...what should I do?

And another thing I still can't seem to get an agent either, why is that?

Honestly, your time frame makes me wonder what kind of publisher this is - I've never heard of a illustrated childrens book being published this quickly.

Have you checked the publisher out in Beware and Background Checks?

And you aren't going to be able to get an agent with this book, since you already sold it. So, you'll have to query agents with a new project.

But first figure out if the publisher is legitimate, and then take it from there. If you signed a contract, you may need legal advice on your recourse, but start with the publisher - who are they and are they legitimate.

~suki

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
This is a remarkably fast time frame, so I, too, wonder just what kind of publisher this is.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
It's a Christian Publisher and they are legit. It took me two weeks to actually decide. And I asked like a millon questions too. Yes, I thought that was a fast time frame too. Til he emailed back saying his mistake and that children's books take one to two months to even start.

This is my first time doing this so, I am a green horn about it. Thanks everyone for your help.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
How are you defining "legit"? Considering that so many shady operations tout how "Christian" they are to get people to trust them, I hope you aren't using that as the main criterion.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a Christian Publisher and they are legit. It took me two weeks to actually decide. And I asked like a millon questions too. Yes, I thought that was a fast time frame too. Til he emailed back saying his mistake and that children's books take one to two months to even start.

This is my first time doing this so, I am a green horn about it. Thanks everyone for your help.

Again, have you checked them out in B&BC? There are a couple scam and vanity publishers who prey on the "christian" book market pretty heavily.

Who is it?

ETA: crossposted with CaoPaux.

~suki