Commercial?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Agent sent me an R today, and said, "It sounds quite commercial, but commercial isn't my thing"

Ay the risk of sounding like a moron, what does that mean?

Its a memoir if that means anything.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agent sent me an R today, and said, "It sounds quite commercial, but commercial isn't my thing"

Ay the risk of sounding like a moron, what does that mean?

Its a memoir if that means anything.

At the risk of guessing...this sounds like an agent who usually reps more literary, saying it's not literary enough.

But honestly, I'd call it a form rejection and move on.

~suki

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Loved the last two replies. :D

Basically, he thinks it's too commercial and not as literary? What is your genre?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I really want to write back and ask what she means. She only saw the query letter.

I've read that there a lot of debate about what makes literary and commercial, and to tell ya the truth, I don't understand it. This is one of those subjects that I never really understood

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I really want to write back and ask what she means. She only saw the query letter.

I've read that there a lot of debate about what makes literary and commercial, and to tell ya the truth, I don't understand it. This is one of those subjects that I never really understood

Generally, literary fiction focuses on the writing (the poetry of it, the imagery, a deep theme/allegory/deeper meaning, etc.) whereas commercial fiction is more plot driven and meant to be read for pleasure, with more tension/suspense/humor etc. Jhumpa Lahiri and Jonathan Safran Foer are good examples of literary (Lahiri focuses on the Indian-American experience, and always has deep meanings; Foer uses images, experimental writing etc.). Both have found great commercial success, but their books are literary.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I think mine does both, but the query letter doesn't reflect that. Hmmmm New query? or will commercial get more attention?

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure about the query, but as far as commercial getting more attention, not always. It seems like there is a pretty even distribution of agents who prefer either, and most agents who don't specify will take both. Perhaps that agent specialized in highly literary work. I wouldn't worry too much about the distinction--if an agent likes it, they won't pass because the distinction is off.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm querying it as Gay/Lesbian Nonfiction. I get the feeling she thinks this would be more something for a general audience because of some of the players. Now that I've reread it, (It's a personal) I think that's what she's saying.

I want it to be GL Nonfiction....I know it's less money, I don't care. It's a memoir and I want it to reflect me correctly, and that's GL Nonfiction.

I think I need to change the query letter