Fed Sues Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score

PHOENIX – The U.S. Justice Department on Tuesday filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of targeting illegal immigrants, setting the stage for a clash between the federal government and the state over the nation's toughest immigration crackdown.

The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Phoenix argues that Arizona's law requiring state and local police to question and possibly arrest illegal immigrants during the enforcement of other laws such as traffic violations usurps federal authority.

"In our constitutional system, the federal government has pre-eminent authority to regulate immigration matters," the lawsuit says. "This authority derives from the United States Constitution and numerous acts of Congress. The nation's immigration laws reflect a careful and considered balance of national law enforcement, foreign relations, and humanitarian interests."

The government is seeking an injunction to delay the July 29 implementation of the law until the case is resolved. It ultimately wants the law declared invalid.

The government contends that the Arizona law violates the supremacy clause of the Constitution, a legal theory that says federal laws override state laws. It is already illegal under federal law to be in the country illegally, but Arizona is the first state to make it a state crime and add its own punishment and enforcement tactics.

Read all about it here.

Intriguing analysis on the part of the Feds (who took long enough to get into this), but it seems odd to me that the AZ law was actually written with these in mind:

The provision of the law that many have focused on is the one makes it a misdemeanor for an alien to fail to carry registration documents on his person. They fail to mention that an individual is only guilty if he is in violation of 8 USC sec 1304(a) or 8 USC 1306(e). Those provisions have been around since 1940, making it a crime to fail to register or carry certain documents. The state statue literally refers to those federal statutes. A person can only be guilty under the state statute if he is guilty under the federal statute.

The principle that protects the Arizona law is the legal principle of concurrent enforcement. This has been recognized by several courts, including the 9th Circuit. It holds that a law is not conflict-preempted if the state law prohibits the same behavior that is already prohibited by federal law. Similarly, if a state officer acts in a way to assist the federal government in that action, he concurrently enforces what is already prohibited under federal law.

That principle guides any interpretation of S.B. 1070.

The controlling Supreme Court precedent is 1976′s De Canas v. Bica. In that case, the Supreme Court recognized states may enact legislation to discourage illegal immigration within their jurisdictions. The mere fact that a state law concerns illegal immigration or affects immigration in some way does not render it pre-empted.

Kris Kobach, law professor who wrote SB1070.

It's gonna be interesting.

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Interesting to say the least. If they should win, wouldn AZ be able to then counter sue for failure to enforce the law?

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Immigration is a border-crossing matter and therefore well within federal jurisdiction. In addition, there were applicable federal laws in place, meaning the federal government had assumed responsibility for handling this. Therefore, Arizona doesn't have any justification for intruding on that jurisdiction, no matter how it feels about the quality or lack thereof of enforcement. Arizona will correctly lose.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
I think your interpretation of the law is probably incorrect, since it seems Arizona's law was created with the federal law in mind. And nothing I've seen--despite the heated debate--clearly seems to nullify the state's stance on this.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Immigration is a border-crossing matter and therefore well within federal jurisdiction. In addition, there were applicable federal laws in place, meaning the federal government had assumed responsibility for handling this. Therefore, Arizona doesn't have any justification for intruding on that jurisdiction, no matter how it feels about the quality or lack thereof of enforcement. Arizona will correctly lose.

And will lose more money than it's already lost in the process.

I am so glad I'm getting out of this state. The lunatics have definitely taken over the asylum.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything absolutely definitive that assures me the Arizona law is constitutionally null and void. I've read lots of rhetoric, but I've not yet seen case law admitted.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. Are you?

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score

That's my first impression too.

This case will make it to SCOTUS. And the Roberts court is definitely not conservative when it comes to stare decisis, so the fact that there is already precedent on the books that, allegedly, allows for SB1070 doesn't really mean much.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure, immigration into the country is something that the federal government controls. But AZ is only applying the law within their own borders.

And if it is such a terrible thing, then next election the people can put someone else in office who will revoke the law if they don't like it.
Federal government doesn't need to be involved.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
"In our constitutional system, the federal government has pre-eminent authority to regulate immigration matters," the lawsuit says. "This authority derives from the United States Constitution and numerous acts of Congress. The nation's immigration laws reflect a careful and considered balance of national law enforcement, foreign relations, and humanitarian interests."

So why isn't the Federal Government enforcing those immigration laws?
This is the perfect time for Arizona to sue the Federal Government for lack of enforcement.
The Federal Government has no problem whatsoever allowing state law enforcement to arrest an illegal immigrant carrying illegal drugs.

Until this is settled I think Arizona should immediately stop enforcing all illegal drug laws. Since there are federal laws against illegal drugs, just let the feds handle it.

Of course, somewhere along the line it will be discovered (by the Feds) that Federal Highway Funds are tied into drug enforcement, "forcing" Arizona to go right back to doing drug enforcement.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
So why isn't the Federal Government enforcing those immigration laws?[/COLOR] This is the perfect time for Arizona to sue the Federal Government for lack of enforcement.

Is such a thing even possible?

Regardless, that's the crux of the matter, isn't it? The Fed hasn't been enforcing the law, and not just during Obama's watch, but all throughout Bush's presidency as well. And it could be said that every administration has turned a mostly blind eye to the situation.

Personally, I'd be all for it if white Democrats and Republicans were getting tossed into the pokey for enabling illegals to find jobs, but that's just me getting all draconian.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'd be all for it if white Democrats and Republicans were getting tossed into the pokey for enabling illegals to find jobs, but that's just me getting all draconian.
I for one would absolutely love to see one of the politicians that are against Arizona's law to get caught using illegal immigrants as cheap labor.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it has happened in the past where "undocumented workers" were in the past employ of cabinet nominees. If a real, hard look were cast about, I'm sure that several notables could be found again amongst the serving cadre.

On the flip side, I wouldn't be at all surprised if John McCain might have illegals working on one of his many properties, as well. ;)

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I'm not a lawyer either, (Although I did stay at a Holiday Inn once) but I would think that the whole fed law trumps state law only applies if the state law interfers with the Fed law. There are Federal laws against murder, but its also illegal on the state level. The AZ state law is far less stringent then the federal one. So there is no way that you could argue that someone can be in violation of the state law and not the federal one.

It seems to me when you get passed the BS, that the Federal Gov't in this case simply wants the ability to ignore the immigration law when they want to which is most of the time.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the feds have to sue or blink. obama has been quite public in his outrage, as have many of his underlings.

this is more of a political game than a legal one. the feds might win, and obama would reap the rewards of good will.

but he might overestimate the amount of good will, as a majority of republicans (91%), democrats (56%) and independents (64%) consider the AZ legislation "about right" or feel it "does not go far enough."*

the downside and risk for him is that a win would likely expose and underscore the half-assed enforcement by the feds, leading to less satisfaction with his ambitious immigration reform.

*CBS News Poll. May 20-24, 2010. N=1,054 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The feds also have a good chance of losing this. If they do, it'll only increase the chances of other state copying the Az law. Taking Az to court over this could be a very big gamble, that could blow up in Obama's face.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see some actual ACTION in either enforcing the laws already there or proposing new ones that would deal with the immigration problem than yet another lawsuit.

Don't just say "It's wrong". Work on a solution that'll fix the problem.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
yes, that will prove to be the crux of the matter. the government is relying on the "preemption" argument, which basically says that arizona's law interferes with, or undermines, the federal government's enforcement of existing laws.

i'm not sure the DOJ really wants the feds' effectiveness pulled under the microscope.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
i'm not sure the DOJ really wants the feds' effectiveness pulled under the microscope.
*waves hands wildly in the back of the room, jumping up and down*

I do! I do! I do!

And not just on the issue of border protection.

Wouldn't it be groovy if the people ripped off by Madoff could sue, not the government (which taxpayers would get stuck for), but the actual employees who were playing with themselves in the back room while he was stealing all the goodies?

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, the law was authored with the notion that preemption couldn't be achieved. Hence, the multiple references to applicable federal laws, to which SB1070 appears subordinate.

On the surface, it does appear to be exactly what has been said: the Fed doesn't want its inaction or negligence dragged out into the open, and if a state with more economic clout (such as Texas) adopts similar legislation, then the DOJ comes out of it with a couple of black eyes.

kappapi99

Registered
Reaction score
Filing a lawsuit was a bad move by the feds. The AZ law supports the federal law, it does not contradict or lessen it, nor does it usurp federal power.

I have a feeling it will go all the way to the supreme court, with the feds filing appeals the whole time.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, which is what the Feds want. I'm not sure why they want it, but it's pretty clear that senior leadership has taken a stance on the issue.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
IMHO....

This will make the Fed come face to face with what is already on the books and force them to either get off the pot or pee.

I think this will make for some interesting fodder for the lawyers on both side to have a field day. IMHO I bet AZ lawyers did their homework when writing up the law. Sometimes you have to call out things for what they are in order to get some action.

My question is I wonder how long this will be tied up in the courts? Should we take some side bets on that? I doubt it will be done with speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.