View Full Version : Area around a castle- unfortified bailey??

07-06-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm touring Eastern Europe, and Podgród (Polish) or Předhradí (Czech) keep coming up in terms of castle or fortress layouts. These are unfenced areas below the main castle or the acropolis. The terms literally mean 'under castle.'

Would this be the same thing as a bailey even though there is no bailey wall (???) or is there another term entirely? Google is not helping and my castle 'anatomy' is limited.

I can provide a pic upon request.

07-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Are you talking about the area beyond the keep - but enclosed by a wall? There are European keeps still standing, without their walls - but the walls would have been there during the period.

07-06-2010, 10:15 PM
The only wall, unless I'm mistaken, is a raised hill (followed by a dugout area), as far as the Acropolis is concerned. This is an 8th to 11th century fort. Following the first 'under castle' (and past the ditch) is another 'under castle' used for growing crops.

07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Wait, I just answered my own question. I pulled up a map of Hukvaldy that was on my camera. The area that is the bailey is referred to as Předhradí, and it is also kindly translated into English as bailey. :D

I'm guessing the Předhradí at the fortress were once fenced. Which makes sense when people want to kill you or steal your things...

Drachen Jager
07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Předhradí means forecastle according to Google translate, though that's a part of a ship, not a part of a land-fortification.

Probably it means the same as bailey.

07-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks Drachen, I got it sorted :)

Would this be a good time to plug my blog, the last post of which I was able to complete just now? ;) Link in sig.

On a research note, any help with this in general (ie- if you catch a mistake) would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, please enjoy.