nevr published online

emoellm

I have a question as to the validity of many of the so called poetry contests out there. I have been writing the stuff since grade school ( as have many I am sure) but have never attempted to put my work in any contests, readings, or publications. I have had so many people tell me that I should but I have no idea about where to start, how to start, who to trust...ect. If anyone can give me any ideas about this at all who has some experience with this kind of thing I would be greatly appreciative.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the Water Cooler, EM.

First, make sure not to send your poems to Poetry.com They're not legitmate and any publication that wants you to send money for a reading fee, is not a good place to send your work. Money should flow to you. Some contests do charge an entry fee and if the prize is valuable enough, then you might want to consider it. You can check www.ralan.com for many markets for the type of submissions you do. And, you can check this link which is really helpful http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubwarn.htm giving you great advice on what markets to watch out for. Also, you can go to www.google.com and type in paying markets and click search. You'll find lots of markets there too. Much good luck.

Last edited: