flavored cigarettes banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMILLER111

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...ettes-100705/20100705?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Canadians have banned flavored cigarettes and cigarillos. I applaud this decision and hope it's echoed elsewhere in the world (I believe it might already be banned in the USA). Flavored cigs are an obvious push to get younger smokers and it's despicable. I wonder if there will be a day when cigarettes are off the market all together. As someone who used to smoke, I sure hope so.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see all destructive vices legal and taxed based on QALYs/DALYs lost. I've an idea alcohol would suddenly become as expensive as ciggies. Hell, refined sugar might become as expensive as cocaine.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think banning vices is a good idea. Just look at how the alcohol prohibition went. Taxing drugs is alright, as long as you don't try to use the taxes as a way to force people to quiet.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe in legislating people to take better care of themselves. If an adult wants to
eat fatty foods, smoke and drink that is their right.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...ettes-100705/20100705?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Canadians have banned flavored cigarettes and cigarillos. I applaud this decision and hope it's echoed elsewhere in the world (I believe it might already be banned in the USA). Flavored cigs are an obvious push to get younger smokers and it's despicable. I wonder if there will be a day when cigarettes are off the market all together. As someone who used to smoke, I sure hope so.

It must be nice when things are so clear. Where do I get one of them crusade thingies?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
They already have flavored cigars. Have had them for years.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think banning vices is a good idea. Just look at how the alcohol prohibition went.
Applause!
Taxing drugs is alright, as long as you don't try to use the taxes as a way to force people to quit.
Taxes are the poor man's prohibition. Cigarettes and alcohol are highly taxed, and there's a substantial business in grey-market smokes and booze that lack the appropriate tax stamps for the jurisdiction they eventually are consumed in.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe in legislating people to take better care of themselves. If an adult wants to eat fatty foods, smoke and drink that is their right.
Damn straight! The right way to solve the problem is to regulate, tax, and sue the evil businesses providing consumer choice into oblivion. Or take over healthcare and justify 'proper' habits as cost reduction measures.

But leave personal choice out of it, dammit! ;)

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
. I wonder if there will be a day when cigarettes are off the market all together. As someone who used to smoke, I sure hope so.

I started writing a sarcastic, not very nice response to this, but decided better of it. So instead, I'd just ask: what's the case in favor of this?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't the right to smoke flavored cigarettes part of the US constitution?

willietheshakes

Registered
Reaction score
Here's my question: HOW are these products encouraging "children and youth" to smoke?

-- It's illegal to advertise cigarettes.
-- It's already illegal to sell cigarettes to minors.
-- It's also illegal to display cigarettes where they might be seen by a minor.

I'm stumped...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my question: HOW are these products encouraging "children and youth" to smoke?

-- It's illegal to advertise cigarettes.
-- It's already illegal to sell cigarettes to minors.
-- It's also illegal to display cigarettes where they might be seen by a minor.

I'm stumped...
Well, see, the news media run all these stories, providing essentially free advertising...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, without the media coverage, they'd never even know they exist.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Banning cigarettes so kids don't see them? Where is that in force? I can go into any Circle K and see all the cigarettes I want. They are not put out of sight. :Shrug:

willietheshakes

Registered
Reaction score
Banning cigarettes so kids don't see them? Where is that in force? I can go into any Circle K and see all the cigarettes I want. They are not put out of sight. :Shrug:

Did you click on the original link?

In answer to your question: Canada. From sea to shining sea.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Prime Minister Stephen Harper says the government is committed to protecting youth from "unscrupulous marketing practices by the tobacco industry."

He is calling on tobacco producers and retailers to respect the spirit of the legislation, as well as its legal obligations.

The Canadian Cancer society is applauding the tough new law, calling it the "best legislation in the world restricting flavoured tobacco."

The society says tobacco products flavoured with candy, ice cream and fruit flavours can be a trigger for kids who would never otherwise start smoking.

Retailers have had the past nine months to remove the flavoured products from their shelves. Store owners now caught selling the flavoured tobacco products will be subject to potential enforcement action, including fines.

The cancer society's senior policy analyst, Rob Cunningham, says the law will protect kids from picking up a smoke and will also encourage more adults to quit.

"It is simply wrong to be having an addictive, deadly product that has flavours like peach or mint or cherry or chocolate," he said. "It is wonderful that these products will be off the market.

I've got a question: how they determine which flavorings are aimed at youth? What about brandy and whisky flavors? Is that aimed at kids? What about the ones with a hint of honey or spice? How about Amaretto, Cherry, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Mango, Mint, Peach, Rum, Sambucca and Vanilla flavors? Any of those aimed at youth? (The story says, Yes, but these flavorings have been around for decades.)

Law seems too vague and broad.

And personally, I don't think it's the government's job to encourage people to quit using an otherwise LEGAL product.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
As someone who used to smoke, I think agree with the Ferret and regdog and everyone else who's in favor of allowing adults to do as they wish when it comes to putting things in their bodies (as long as said things are not illegal - which is another thread) and last time I checked, cigarettes were still legal.

But really, won't someone think of the children? ;) (yes, that IS sarcasm)

Last edited:

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
I believe everyone should have a choice, yes. But many smokers aren't giving, say, their kids any choice in the matter. I see too many people smoking in their car with their windows barely cracked, and their children in the back seat. Or people who smoke in their homes, again, with little ones running around. Hell, it irritates me when I can't leave work in the afternoons without taking a breath and holding it, because there are always at least six or seven people right outside the doors, smoking.

I do think there needs to be something more than what is currently in place to prevent things like that. It isn't fair that kids and adults who make it their choice not to smoke have to be subjected to those who smoke in public and aren't considerate about it. Am I being too nit-picky?

As for banning flavored cigarettes, I can't see the huge benefit, though. So long as cigarettes are available, kids are going to start doing them for a variety of reasons. I imagine '~amazing flavor~' is only one among many.

(Random story: I live in CA, where it's illegal to smoke in places like restaurants and the like. Upon moving to Indiana for a few years back in 2002, the first restaurant I came to asked us, "Smoking or non-smoking?" and the first, horrified words out of my mouth were - "You can't smoke in a restaurant!" After realizing my mistake, the lady seating us actually smiled and said something along the lines of, "I wish that were true here.")

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The coco pops-flavoured ones are a bit of a giveaway. Especially when they come with a free toy.

Wait, what are we talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.