PDA

View Full Version : The Freedom to be Intolerant

kayleamay
07-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Okay, I'm feeling a tad prickly at the moment, so bear with me at least until my claws retract.

I live about 1/2 mile from a small sports arena. It's across the interstate from us, but it's not unsual for us to hear a few notes of The Star Spangled Banner before a game or a little cheering from a crowd when a goal is made. However, they are quiet enough that you have to be standing outside and really listening to hear them.

For the last hour, a large group has been holding a religious revival meeting at the arena with their sound turned up so loud that I can hear every "halelujah" and "amen" in crystal clarity while sitting right here at my desk...on the opposite side of the house...with all of the doors and windows shut...over the air compressor that my husband started using 20 minutes ago to try to drown them out.

It's driving me bonkers. Even if I held the same beliefs, it would drive me bonkers. BUT, just to be more irritating, they've been praying for all of the "heathens" outside the stadium for the last 15 minutes. In case you're wondering, the lost souls they are referring to are "those women who think that working is more important than raising their children in the light. Those who've forgotten their true purpose on Earth. Women who are standing by and letting their children be corrupted by the public education system and the work of Satan!".

At one point I asked my husband if we had any mortars left from yesterday. Unfortunately, he'd already hidden them. (That is a joke. As annoying as I find this incident, I would never bomb a religious group with fireworks.)

My husband thinks I'm being intolerant, but I just want a little peace and quiet and to not be bombarded with ideals that I find offensive that I CAN'T TURN OFF OR WALK AWAY FROM! I feel like I'm under an acoustic assault. I don't have any problem with them assembling and though I don't agree with their message, I think they should be free to believe (and preach) as they choose. I just want to know why they need to screech it over the loud speaker loud enough to reach space?

Am I wrong for finding this intrusive?

Sorry for being so lengthy. Insights and opinions welcome. I'm irritable right now, but I'm still benign.

cray
07-06-2010, 06:44 AM
don't be such a spaz, spasmo.

:D

who luvs ya, kiddo?
me.
that's who.

kayleamay
07-06-2010, 06:48 AM
They're singing now. Maybe that means it's almost over.

CACTUSWENDY
07-06-2010, 06:51 AM
It makes no difference if I agree with someone or not. If my private peace is being stirred up like yours is, then I would not like it. I find it pretty tasteless.

spamwarrior
07-06-2010, 06:58 AM
I live next to a Catholic church that has festivals now and then, and boy are they LOUD... somehow they have to amp up the stereo all the way.

I feel your pain.

backslashbaby
07-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Vodka. Lots of vodka ;)

kayleamay
07-06-2010, 07:26 AM
And...it's over. *sigh*

Just in time for the poached salmon.

I'm really hoping that was a one time event.

Thanks for bearing with me, folks.

Kaiser-Kun
07-06-2010, 07:32 AM
I just watched Religulous. Go rent it. It'll soothe your poor forcefully-religionized soul.

kayleamay
07-06-2010, 07:35 AM
I just watched Religulous. Go rent it. It'll soothe your poor forcefully-religionized soul.

Saw it. Loved it. Willing to watch it again just to take the edge off. Good plan.

Silent Rob
07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Infidel.

Shall I place my healing hands on you?

Tee hee.

regdog
07-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Kayleamay, I have a friend who is in similar situation. There is a church behind him, used to be Catholic, closed and was sold to another religious group. Starting at 5 in the morning or sometimes running until 11 at night, they have the microphone turned up so loud it actually shakes his house. He says the yelling, screaming and singing goes on for hours.

I full believe in religious freedom and enjoying the services but not when it impinges on the neighbors to the point of shaking their houses and waking them up

seun
07-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Have a festival in your back garden to preach how rude, inconsiderate people will burn forever.

See how they like them apples.

cray
07-06-2010, 04:39 PM
i can see up your nose, seun.

Bubastes
07-06-2010, 04:42 PM
regdog and kayleamay, are there noise ordinances in your area? That's just ridiculous.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Heathen that I am, I'd've called the cops and filed a 'disturbing the peace' complaint.

seun
07-06-2010, 04:45 PM
i can see up your nose, seun.

I feel violated.

kayleamay
07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Infidel.

Shall I place my healing hands on you?

Tee hee.

No. The restraining order is still in effect.

Kayleamay, I have a friend who is in similar situation. There is a church behind him, used to be Catholic, closed and was sold to another religious group. Starting at 5 in the morning or sometimes running until 11 at night, they have the microphone turned up so loud it actually shakes his house. He says the yelling, screaming and singing goes on for hours.

I full believe in religious freedom and enjoying the services but not when it impinges on the neighbors to the point of shaking their houses and waking them up

So far, this has only happened once. If I had to live with it on a regular basis, I don't know what I'd do. I don't know how he tolerates it. My sympathy.

regdog and kayleamay, are there noise ordinances in your area? That's just ridiculous.

The noise ordinances here are only in effect between 11 p.m. and 8 a.m. They can shake the ground until then and there's nothing I can do about it.

I feel violated.

Cray has that effect on people. Take a shower. You'll feel better.

Mr Flibble
07-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Have a festival in your back garden to preach how rude, inconsiderate people will burn forever.

Make sure you have the amp set to full volume when you sacrifice the goat. Or maybe a pig? They sqeeeeeeeeeeeal!!!!! Outside the festival organiser's house. At 5am :D

I have considered this when the Salvation Army brass band wakes me at 8am on a Sunday. But they're too sweet, so I can't bring myself to do it.

shyne
07-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Sweet. Every rep I send will be a prayer for your heathen soul

Albedo
07-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Make sure you have the amp set to full volume when you sacrifice the goat. Or maybe a pig? They sqeeeeeeeeeeeal!!!!! Outside the festival organiser's house. At 5am :D

I have considered this when the Salvation Army brass band wakes me at 8am on a Sunday. But they're too sweet, so I can't bring myself to do it.

I used to get woken on Sunday mornings by old ladies from the local Godbotherer's Auxiliary marching past my place down to their regular picket outside a reproductive health clinic. The hymns were actually kind of soothing, and I couldn't complain even if it was super creepy. That changed when a mob of chanting counterprotesters started following them every time. I felt like yelling "hey guys I support women's rights but for fucks sake it's 8 am on Sunday can't you protest during working hours?"

I mean, the clinic wasn't even open on Sundays! What was the point?

Susie
07-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Noise really bothers me a lot, too, so I can understand how you must feel. Isn't there an ordinance where they are only allowed to have that kind of noise 'til ll pm.? (which is still too late)!

kaitiepaige17
07-06-2010, 07:55 PM
You aren't being intolerant. I should show you how to be intolerant to religious figures. It's one of my favorite past times! :2angel::evil

CaroGirl
07-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Can you contact the arena and find out the name or telephone number of the organizers of the event? You can let them know their event was far too loud for the neighbourhood and they should consider that for future gatherings. Add that you feel such disturbance undermines their cause.

If the arena won't give the info, just lodge the complaint with the arena manager and maybe they'll think twice about allowing them back.

Lavern08
07-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Heathen!

http://www.morethings.com/boutique/images/comics25.jpg

DianeL
07-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Lavern08: SUPERB!

Kayleamay, this doesn't qualify as intolerance, it is the right and natural response of a resident with a reasonable expectation of quality of life. I'm with those who'd call the police regarding the disturbance of the peace, which this clearly was. I mean, these people out-noised sports fans. In my experience, that's almost an impressive feat - but nothing you are obligated to live with!

regdog
07-06-2010, 09:26 PM

The city I live in has steadily declined over they years so noise doesn't rate to high on the concern list.