• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a Beta/Crit Swap partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.c.laing

Registered
Reaction score
Most of my stories are YA Fantasy, heavy on the romance. I'm also editing a "steampunkish" adult Urban Fantasy with time travel, murder mystery and romance. And there's a non-fiction project in the works too re: growing and selling for farmer's markets. That's why I don't have a lot of posts here :D

Anyway, I belong to a writer's group full of retired teachers who are great at helping with grammar, punctuation, etc., all the stuff I tend to slip up on. A few of my daughter's friends also help with beta reading here and there, but what I really need is a tough but fair 'big picture' beta reader who reads (and perhaps writes) what I'm writing.

In return, I'd be happy to do the same big picture type beta reading. if you would be willing or are interested in same, please contact me by PM. I can usually read a novel (250-300 pages) in a night, though if I'm criting I like to mull it over and re-read a bit.

For example ---- I read and feel that I write YA stories similar in flavor to these: Shiver (Maggie Stiefvater), Wicked Lovely (Melissa Marr), Hush, Hush (Becca Fitzpatrick), Raven (Allison van Diepen), Fallen (Lauren Kate), Evermore (Allyson Noel) and the Nightworld series by L.J. Smith --- w/out vampires

Other examples of styles I enjoy reading:

Adult: Dirk Pitt novels (Clive Cussler), cryptic/puzzles/mystery (Dan Brown), Lord Kelvin's Machine (James P. Blaylock), Hercule Poirot stories (Agatha Christie) historical or traditional gothic romance (Mary Balogh, Victoria Holt), Merlin Trilogy (Mary Stewart), Jaz Parks books (Jennifer Rardin), Urban Shaman (C.E. Murphy), Testament of Man series (Vardis Fisher), Earth's Children series (Jean M. Auel), Historical (John Jakes, James Michener) and Stephen King

YA: Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins), Th1rteen R3asons Why (Jay Asher), The Truth About Forever (Sarah Dessen)

MG: Harry Potter...of course :), The Olympians (Rick Riordan), and that series of unfortunate events - Lemony Snicket

CLASSICS: C.S. Lewis, Jack London, Jane Austen, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Hermann Hesse, Joseph Heller, Tolkien

Last edited:

t.c.laing

Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to add what I DON'T read.

Genre romance a la Nora Roberts or Barbara Cartland, Manga, Graphic, Erotica, Poetry or verse format books like CRANK (Ellen Hopkins)

jett71

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, t.c.!

I've got a "truth about forever" type of commercial YA romance I'm needing a crit partner for. I'm a seasoned news writer, but I'm just getting into books. Several agents have requested the full, but I'm getting a lot of "didn't fall in love" feedback and nothing specific. I'd be glad to swap help. I'm more looking for a good crit---not really lots of copyediting needed. Just what's working, what's not, if the pace slows, that type of stuff.

Just lmk! contact info [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.