PDA

View Full Version : 中文?

Pages : [1] 2

spamwarrior
07-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Anyone?

Though I have to admit that I'm pretty rusty.

Liosse de Velishaf
07-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I know that says "Chinese", but that's about as far as I can go. :(

Namatu
07-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Anyone?

Though I have to admit that I'm pretty rusty.Me! A little. "Rusty" is an understatement, and I can't make characters on my keyboard. But I can read yours. :tongue

Yasaibatake
07-06-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm starting a Chinese class this fall...does that count? :D

Namatu
07-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Sure. Ni hao, Yasaibatake!

spamwarrior
07-06-2010, 03:22 AM
Me! A little. "Rusty" is an understatement, and I can't make characters on my keyboard. But I can read yours. :tongue

I copy and paste from Babelfish. No shame there :P

Namatu
07-06-2010, 03:34 AM
太好! 怎么样?

That first sentence above is missing the le particle, but it's all Babelfish's fault.

我在大学学习了中文二年。Not sure of the grammar here. Rusty!

Liosse de Velishaf
07-06-2010, 03:57 AM
太好! 怎么样?

That first sentence above is missing the le particle, but it's all Babelfish's fault.

This "了"?

How long ago was your two years of university study?

not_HarryS
07-06-2010, 05:35 AM
太好! 怎么样?

You'd want to say, 我在大学学过二年的中文, or 我在大学学中文学了二年了.

Babelfish and Google Translate do terrible things to Chinese. Haha.

If you like, I'd be happy to help with anyone's Chinese. Been in Beijing for four years and counting.

poetinahat
07-06-2010, 05:54 AM
Been in Beijing for four years and counting.
Wow, numbers must be *really* hard to learn... :roll:

not_HarryS
07-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Badoom-ching! :)

Haha. I've done learned mahself two APAC languages, and I still have to count on mah fingers.

Liosse de Velishaf
07-06-2010, 06:23 AM
You'd want to say, 我在大学学过二年的中文, or 我在大学学中文学了二年了.

Babelfish and Google Translate do terrible things to Chinese. Haha.

If you like, I'd be happy to help with anyone's Chinese. Been in Beijing for four years and counting.

Machine translators do horrible things to any language.

not_HarryS
07-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Well, to be fair, Google's is getting better, 'cause it's constantly being fed by human translation and revision. A lot of companies with straightforward content and software UI strings actually benefit quite a bit from machine translation, which of course needs to be followed by human review.

Namatu
07-06-2010, 08:01 PM
You'd want to say, 我在大学学过二年的中文, or 我在大学学中文学了二年了.Yes, that looks exactly like what I couldn't figure out was wrong with that Babelfish translation! Thanks, not_HarryS. I like this one: 我在大学学过二年的中文.

My last class was ten years ago. No wonder I've lost my literacy! I'm hoping to pick up a class in the fall.

littlebear91
07-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Wow, you guys are awesome, still able to retain your languages skills, I noe a bit of chinese, fluent in speaking haha

not_HarryS
07-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Yes, that looks exactly like what I couldn't figure out was wrong with that Babelfish translation! Thanks, not_HarryS. I like this one: 我在大学学过二年的中文.

My last class was ten years ago. No wonder I've lost my literacy! I'm hoping to pick up a class in the fall.

Ah! I just realized that there's a mistake in that sentence, too! >_<

I wasn't being careful. In numbers under ten (for the most part), two is 两 (liang), not 二 (er).

So the sentence should read: 我在大学学过两年的中文。

Oops :)

not_HarryS
07-19-2010, 03:22 PM
好无聊啊,怎么没人说话呀?

Theresa
08-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Okay ... here I come with the few words I know so far ... lol

你好,我是德国人。我学中语。
你们好?
我叫Theresa。
再见。

lenore_x
08-04-2010, 08:37 PM
你好!我叫 Lauren.

我是美国人。我爱中国。可是,我的中文不好。

:Shrug:

Theresa
08-04-2010, 10:03 PM
你好Lauren。
你中文是好 ;)

Hey, I only had to look up four signs :)

luckytranslation
10-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi I am Chinese!
大家好啊

SaraP
10-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Welcome to AW, luckytranslation. :hi:

luckytranslation
10-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Welcome to AW, luckytranslation. :hi:
Hi thank you!
问好啊

SaraP
12-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Nudging (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5560889&postcount=103). :D

EssieRatcliff
12-12-2010, 03:01 AM
Is there actually anyone here of Chinese extraction?

Noir
12-15-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm Chinese-American but I can't read Chinese characters (learning avidly right now, though)... do I count :D?

Dgaltfan
01-15-2011, 10:01 PM
I can't type or read it, I can only speak it but not very well at all. hahaha! you might as well give me an f for speaking chinese now, and don't suffer. haha!!!!!!

Daniel A. Roberts
01-15-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm an epic failure. I clicked the thread only because the first symbol in the thread title looks exactly like the symbol on the supersuit for "The Greatest American Hero" that starred William Katt back in the 80's.

SaraP
01-15-2011, 10:22 PM
There, there. Anyone could make that mistake. ;) :D

AnotherMorning
03-02-2011, 08:51 PM
你好Lauren。
你中文是好 ;)

Hey, I only had to look up four signs :)

你的中文很好。:)

我在中国住过两年。我在大学教过英语。在这儿有人在中国吗?

cutecontinent
03-08-2011, 07:31 PM
<<< 在中国出生,长大,在加拿大...

Snitchcat
04-12-2011, 10:24 AM
大家好!

很久没有看过这个forum阿! 我找到了这个thread的时候, 觉得真了不起,竟然在AW会有汉语的discussion.

不过, 先说明: 我的书面中文不好,而且我不会说普通话,而只会说广东话, 但是书面中文就差不多阿!(我只是写不好!)

Another Morning, 你好! 你问了这里有没有人现在在中国, 我可以答我正在! 我看,你现在已经离开这个国家,吗?所以,我只是想问一下,你以前在中国主在哪儿?

Essie: Curiously, what do you mean by "of Chinese extraction"?

Take care,
Snitchcat.

AnotherMorning
04-14-2011, 09:54 PM
好的。我在武汉教过两年英语。你呢?请问,你做什么工作?老师吗?

Snitchcat
04-14-2011, 10:19 PM
啊,我没去过武汉,在那儿有什么特别要注意,呢?

我不教英语,我在展览行业做市场信息富经理,不过不是参展商的,是展览主办单位的。

AnotherMorning
04-16-2011, 07:23 PM
在武汉你要注意小偷。有些地方买东西的时候你要学会讲价。

武汉的天气,在夏天太热了,在冬天太冻了。

我是美国人。你呢?在武汉你可以尝尝热干面!

Snitchcat
04-16-2011, 09:10 PM
我喜欢夏天,怎么热也可以,但是冬天其中最好是下雪! 很久没有看过雪啊,有时候想着它不过我不喜欢那么低的temperature。 哈哈哈! 我忘记了那个字的拼音,而且很懒,不想看字典。

除了买东西之外,在武汉有什么其他活动呢?

我是华人,不过不在中国大。

你的中文很不错!

luckytranslation
04-17-2011, 01:36 AM
你们的中文很很很很不错啊!
我也喜欢热干面

Snitchcat
04-17-2011, 09:37 PM
luckytranslation 你好!谢谢你的compliment! 欢迎来AW!

从头再看过这条thread我发现 你也是华人啊! 真非常高兴在这儿可以认识 你。 请问你现在主在哪儿?而且你喜欢写那一个genre或者只会写non-fiction ? 并且你会说那种语言比较多呢?写呢?我只是很curious , 你不想回答没问题。

啊,忘记做一样东西:guten tag! wie gehen Sie ? I can still read some german after all these years,aber in siebzehn oder zwanzig Jahren habe ich kein Deutsch gesprochen,also现在我的汉语比较好一点儿 ,啊。

And for those just learning or can only speak Chinese for the moment , bravo for tackling such a challenging language!

JSSchley
04-17-2011, 11:52 PM
AW 有会说中文的人! 更好啊! 我可能练习一下。

我是美国人,是五岁开始学中文。 但是说的不太流利。 好, 拿词典,开始读。

AnotherMorning
04-18-2011, 12:59 AM
AW 有会说中文的人! 更好啊! 我可能练习一下。

我是美国人,是五岁开始学中文。 但是说的不太流利。 好, 拿词典,开始读。

好好学习,天天向上!

Snitchcat
04-18-2011, 09:44 AM
其实,我想问大家,你们说中文的时候会说哪一个坊言呢?该是北京的普通话吗?还是广东话,呢?

Just curious: when you all speak Chinese, which dialect are you speaking? Should be Beijing putonghua, right? How about Cantonese?

AnotherMorning
04-20-2011, 01:54 AM
我跟我的中国朋友说英语和普通话。我不会粤语。

bookbug
04-20-2011, 02:14 AM
你好吗!我是美国人可是我爱中国文。

AnotherMorning
04-20-2011, 06:43 AM
你好bookbug! 认识你很高兴!

wistfullylinda
04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm Taiwanese-American and currently living in Taiwan so I'm exposed to Mandarin all the time, haha. Fortunately I can read well enough to survive on my own :)

不過我比較習慣看繁體字。。。 看簡體好累 @.@

Snitchcat
04-20-2011, 09:34 PM
嘻嘻,没問題,我也看得懂TChi,但因為我不喜歡使用ciangjie或者其他類似的工具所不會打繁體中 文字,不過很好這個galaxy tab 有手寫中文的工能。hmm , 我想我剛剛寫錯字了,而且我這些字句應該比較多像廣東話的口語啊!

如果不懂我寫了甚麼,没問題,還有其他方法communicate. 但現在很累啦,大家晚安!

啊,almost forgot: Wistfullylinda, 妳好!歡迎來AW!

wistfullylinda
04-21-2011, 07:56 AM
謝謝, snitchcat!

我習慣用漢語拼音打繁體字。

大家學中文學多久了?

Snitchcat
04-22-2011, 05:34 PM
No formal Chinese learning here. I picked it up when I moved here, then taught myself to read both Simplified and Traditional Chinese. It's a good thing I live near the border -- the amount I spend on books would take me into bankruptcy if I did all my book shopping here! Lol.

AnotherMorning
04-23-2011, 11:27 PM
我学过一年半中文。我觉得很好玩!

mjlpsu
04-24-2011, 05:02 AM
I spent almost four years in China. 我会说中文一点点。I've forgotten quite a bit since moving back to the states, but I'm trying to get back into my studying habits. When I have time I attend Mandarin Monday meetups in NYC.

luckytranslation
04-27-2011, 04:58 AM
你好!谢谢你的留言。我刚刚看到。
我是地地道道的中国人,说写都是中文比英文好。
没什么时间真的写东西。
你们的中文我真的是很很赞!

luckytranslation 你好!谢谢你的compliment! 欢迎来AW!

从头再看过这条thread我发现 你也是华人啊! 真非常高兴在这儿可以认识 你。 请问你现在主在哪儿?而且你喜欢写那一个genre或者只会写non-fiction ? 并且你会说那种语言比较多呢?写呢?我只是很curious , 你不想回答没问题。

啊,忘记做一样东西:guten tag! wie gehen Sie ? I can still read some german after all these years,aber in siebzehn oder zwanzig Jahren habe ich kein Deutsch gesprochen,also现在我的汉语比较好一点儿 ,啊。

And for those just learning or can only speak Chinese for the moment , bravo for tackling such a challenging language!

Snitchcat
04-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Luckytranslation, 谢谢你的回答。 没有时间写东西真可惜,但我也了解这个情况,工作或学习有时候需要很多时间,所以没有空。请问你是大学生或 者正在工作呢?

我也想问大家: 你们学习中文有什么期望?

Heh,我先答自己的问题: 能够说我的期望不是期望,而是梦想。我的梦想同时很间单也是可以说很难完成:我想以我的英语水平但使用书面 汉语而完成一本科幻小说。对我来说,写中文不难,但想汉语和英语同一水平是难,啊!不过,梦想可以成真,对 吧?(^_^)

那,你们呢?

-------------------

Also wanted to ask everyone: what are your expectations for learning Chinese?

Heh, I think I'll answer my own question first: you could say my expectations aren't; they're actually a dream. My dream is at once simple and difficult to achieve: I want to write a Spec Fic novel in Chinese, with my written Chinese at the level of my written English. For me, writing Chinese isn't difficult; but getting Chinese and English at the same standard is! However, dreams can come true, right?

How about you all?

Snitchcat
05-11-2011, 07:10 AM
大家一定很忙,或者我问了太多啦!如果是这个问题,对不起啊,我没有心.

wistfullylinda
05-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Hey snitchcat! Sorry, must have missed your last post. I don't really have any expectations - I'm not even actively learning, just trying to pick up more vocabulary and slang through immersion. :P

Sometimes I think I should practice typing and writing more though, and get back in the habit of reading material more complex than MSN messages. I reread The Hunger Games (飢餓遊戲)in Chinese once, that was fun.

其實我還蠻想多練習中文,不過我太嬾了。 如果要把以上翻譯成中文我會累倒 XD 我也希望我的中文水準可以跟英文一樣, 不過很可惜,我英文太好了。啊,不是啦! 是我中文太爛, 要非常努力才有可能。我沒有那麽勤勞, 所以很佩服你。加油啊!

Snitchcat
05-12-2011, 02:14 PM
没事啊!大家都是很忙的。现在我只有时间回答你--工作还是很忙,但没有展览会。 Le Sigh.

其实不是你的汉语爛(忘记Simplified Chinese怎么写),而是中文不是一个很快或者容易上手的语言,并且就算由小之大学习未必学得很好。为 什么不能学得好?很多因素。(^_^)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

沒事啊!大家都是很忙的。現在我只有時間回答你--工作還是很忙,但沒有展覽會。 Le Sigh.

其實不是你的漢語爛(忘記Simplified Chinese怎麼寫),而是中文不是一個很快或者容易上手的語言,並且就算由小之大學習未必學得很好。為 什麼不能學得好?很多因素。 (^_^)

C.J.Lindsay
05-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Quote: In numbers under ten (for the most part), two is 两 (liang), not 二 (er).

When using a measure word, 是不是? :)

maestrowork
05-13-2011, 02:00 AM

二 is the number two, as in "two plus two."

两 is for counting, especially countable things: two men, two ducks.

P.s. My Chinese has deteriorated so much that even my parents were teasing me. I tried to translate my novel to Chinese and I gave up after half a chapter. it's exhausting.

AnotherMorning
05-13-2011, 02:02 AM

是啊!我有两个妹妹。我第二个妹妹两岁。

Snitchcat
05-13-2011, 06:16 AM
And to complicate things further, there are different measure words for different types of objects. :p

Snitchcat
05-16-2011, 06:48 AM
正在你们忙着什么啊?

What're you guys up to right now?

(^_^)

wistfullylinda
05-16-2011, 09:54 AM
上班 XD

Snitchcat
05-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Lol! 懂! 你做什么工作?

我也正在上班不过很想睡啊!刚刚吃了一个很丰富、美味又很适合大家的口味的午餐。 名字是 "Pot Luck"。

(^_^)

wistfullylinda
05-16-2011, 08:21 PM
研發. 你呢?

not_HarryS
05-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Hey snitchcat! Sorry, must have missed your last post. I don't really have any expectations - I'm not even actively learning, just trying to pick up more vocabulary and slang through immersion. :P

Sometimes I think I should practice typing and writing more though, and get back in the habit of reading material more complex than MSN messages. I reread The Hunger Games (飢餓遊戲)in Chinese once, that was fun.

其實我還蠻想多練習中文,不過我太嬾了。 如果要把以上翻譯成中文我會累倒 XD 我也希望我的中文水準可以跟英文一樣, 不過很可惜,我英文太好了。啊,不是啦! 是我中文太爛, 要非常努力才有可能。我沒有那麽勤勞, 所以很佩服你。加油啊!

其实我觉得你的中文写得很不错呢。我认识许多老外在北京待了十多年了,直到现在还是一个词都说不出来呢。更 不用提会不会写字啦。像你这样又会说又会写的特别少,尤其是认识繁体字的。你也加油啊!

Snitchcat
05-17-2011, 06:59 AM
研發. 你呢?

Marketing. All things marketing. :)

Snitchcat
05-17-2011, 07:05 AM
其实我觉得你的中文写得很不错呢。我认识许多老外在北京待了十多年了,直到现在还是一个词都说不出来呢。更 不用提会不会写字啦。像你这样又会说又会写的特别少,尤其是认识繁体字的。你也加油啊!

啊? not_HarryS,你也会说汉语吗? 我没有注意到,啊,对不起!

不過, 你說得對:我也覺得Wistfullylinda該加油學習中文.很小的外國人在內地或台灣會認識書面中文 或者會寫!

AKyber36
05-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Chinese-American here. I do better with listening comprehension than with speaking and from there, my reading and writing skills are pretty bad. :D But it makes it interesting when I speak, 'cuz I slip into the so-called 'Chinglish' quite often.

Snitchcat
05-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi, Akyber36. Welcome to the Chinese thread. Glad you could join us. :)

Heh, I prefer reading to speaking / listening, but depends on if it's Cantonese or Mandarin (getting better at the latter, though).

And welcome to AW. 欢迎!

Bartholomew
05-17-2011, 12:48 PM
巴特爱西西 ^-^

Snitchcat
05-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Hehehe. Hi! (^_^)

Bartholomew
05-18-2011, 01:39 AM
你好. 我的女朋友教我学中文. She's a sweetie.

not_HarryS
05-20-2011, 09:41 AM
啊? not_HarryS,你也会说汉语吗? 我没有注意到,啊,对不起!

不過, 你說得對:我也覺得Wistfullylinda該加油學習中文.很小的外國人在內地或台灣會認識書面中文 或者會寫!

恩,会说,也会写。我在北京好多年了,不得不偶尔学到点东西嘛 :) 哈哈。

我觉得一般的老外最大的问题是他们不主动地去学。该知道的会很快就学会,比如怎么问路啊,在饭馆怎么点酒喝 啊什么的。但至于和老百姓交流这些个东西,一般人都不是特别感兴趣的。

not_HarryS
05-20-2011, 09:43 AM
你好. 我的女朋友教我学中文. She's a sweetie.

巴特(我觉得你应该去挑个好听点的中文名字,哈哈),你的女朋友是中国人或者外国人呢?

Bartholomew
05-20-2011, 11:33 AM
巴特(我觉得你应该去挑个好听点的中文名字,哈哈),你的女朋友是中国人或者外国人呢?

我的女朋友总是中国人。

巴特 is one of the few things I can read without the help of a dictionary. :) No way I'm changing it.

not_HarryS
05-20-2011, 12:46 PM
我的女朋友总是中国人。

巴特 is one of the few things I can read without the help of a dictionary. :) No way I'm changing it.

哦,她是美籍华人吗,还是住在内地呢?

我的朋友也是中国的 :)

(不好意思,你要是在学习中文的话,你也应该开始习惯中国的文化。在国外我要问这么多私人的问题的话,你可 能会觉得我很不礼貌。但在中国问这样的问题是很正常的。哈哈哈。)

巴特这个名字啊。。。主要是听起来怪怪的。有一点像个在内蒙的城市名一样。哈哈。你该多学点字 再选新名字啊 :)

Snitchcat
05-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Alright, I can't be bothered to type in Chinese today -- at work and need to stay with an English keyboard right now. But.... you guys: LOL!

Not that I find the conversation funny as in 'laugh aloud' humour, but as in it's great to read the conversation and just enjoy the language, especially in an English-dominated online world. (^_^) Hope I didn't offend!

Take care,
Snitch.

wistfullylinda
05-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Haha I'm not sure how much I count as a 外國人. I'm Taiwanese American, and though I only went to Chinese school for one year (couldn't stand it, though now I think I should have tried harder), I did live in Taiwan from age 2-8. So it's not completely foreign to me. 你們比較厲害! I do still have lots to learn though, so thanks for the encouragement, not_HarryS and Snitchcat. :)

And nice Chinese name, Bartholomew. Makes me think of 奶油. :P

starscape
05-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Hello everyone in this thread. Glad to know you are all interested in studying Chinese. I'm a native speaker and qualified to teach Chinese at school. If you have questions you can ask in this thread.

By the way, I finished a fantasy novel with 110,000 English words, and because of this foreign exchange rate, I cannot afford a freelance editor in UK or USA. I have been revising the manuscript since 2008 and it's killing me -.- And I don't know whether the agents rejected the submissions due to the remaining grammar mistakes.

If anyone is interested in an exchange, feel free to contact me. Thanks.

Bartholomew
05-23-2011, 02:57 AM
By the way, I finished a fantasy novel with 110,000 English words, and because of this foreign exchange rate, I cannot afford a freelance editor in UK or USA. I have been revising the manuscript since 2008 and it's killing me -.- And I don't know whether the agents rejected the submissions due to the remaining grammar mistakes.

If anyone is interested in an exchange, feel free to contact me. Thanks.

I do freelance editing, and I charge significantly less than most editors, as I'm still working toward my degree. 110,000 words is rather long for a first novel. I can't promise we'll come to an arrangement, but I'd be happy to look at the first five or so pages.

I can almost guarantee that you're getting a lot of your rejections based solely on the story's length.

bartholomew [dot] klick [at] gmail [dot] com

Bartholomew
05-23-2011, 03:12 AM
哦,她是美籍华人吗,还是住在内地呢?

我的朋友也是中国的 :)

(不好意思,你要是在学习中文的话,你也应该开始习惯中国的文化。在国外我要问这么多私人的问题的话,你可 能会觉得我很不礼貌。但在中国问这样的问题是很正常的。哈哈哈。)

巴特这个名字啊。。。主要是听起来怪怪的。有一点像个在内蒙的城市名一样。哈哈。你该多学点字 再选新名字啊 :)

No, no. Not rude at all. She got me used to it, actually.

She's a Chinese exchange student. She ended up with a horrible host family - they basically wanted a slave, and they intended on dropping her off at the airport a week early...! Anyway, we connected in the English department and traded a Chinese lesson for some constructive revisions.

She flew back this morning. Very sad. Also, now I am way too shy to try replying in Chinese, since I've lost who was effectively my copy editor. :)

I plan on visiting, though. And I am fully aware that I'll either need to just anglothrust my name into the language -- (我的名字是Bart。) or pick something more appropriate. I'm leaning toward 牛 (I'm large and muscular) or 建国, out of respect as a visitor -- and to maybe endear myself just a little bit with suspicious government officials.

I'm seriously considered Rosetta Stone, too. Can anyone vouch for its Chinese program? I tutored English for a long time, and it's English program impressed the hell out of me.

Snitchcat
05-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Hello everyone in this thread. Glad to know you are all interested in studying Chinese. I'm a native speaker and qualified to teach Chinese at school. If you have questions you can ask in this thread.

Good. I can plague you with grammar questions then! LOL. Welcome to the Chinese thread, Starscape.

Btw, if you haven't already taken up Bartholomew on his offer, I can help you edit, too -- I have some free time coming up.

As for the Rosetta Stone programme, I've heard it's good, and it really does work. But personally, I've never tried it. I can't remember if it offers a free trial; but if it does, give it a go?

starscape
05-23-2011, 11:16 AM
No, no. Not rude at all. She got me used to it, actually.

That reminds me of Star Trek Enterprise. The Vulcan delegate was puzzled when Archer asked him lots of personal questions. And then T'Pol or another Vulcan character told the Vulcan delegate something like "Human do it all the time." LOL

starscape
05-23-2011, 11:21 AM
I do freelance editing, and I charge significantly less than most editors, as I'm still working toward my degree. 110,000 words is rather long for a first novel. I can't promise we'll come to an arrangement, but I'd be happy to look at the first five or so pages.

I can almost guarantee that you're getting a lot of your rejections based solely on the story's length.

bartholomew [dot] klick [at] gmail [dot] com

Thank you. I will consider the offer after the current round of revision -.- But, seriously? 110,000 words are too many for a fantasy? I remember I saw at somewhere that manuscripts under 80,000 words will NOT be considered?

The usual length for a manuscript is between 80,000 and 125,000 words.

starscape
05-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Good. I can plague you with grammar questions then! LOL. Welcome to the Chinese thread, Starscape.

Btw, if you haven't already taken up Bartholomew on his offer, I can help you edit, too -- I have some free time coming up.

Thank you for your offer too. Feel free to ask at here.

Snitchcat
05-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Thank you. I will consider the offer after the current round of revision -.- But, seriously? 110,000 words are too many for a fantasy? I remember I saw at somewhere that manuscripts under 80,000 words will NOT be considered?

The number of words is only one reason a query may be rejected; the variety of reasons is endless:

Not to the editor's taste
Just bought a similar story
List is full
No budget
Didn't like opening
Didn't like the subject
Was in a mood (editors are human, too, :tongue)
Loved it but felt it wasn't right for their publishing line

And, a host of others we can only guess at. It's one of those mysteries that I would like solved each and every time a (form) rejection comes through. But.... wishful thinking only here. Reality isn't that way. :)

Anyhow, keep at it. You'll get an acceptance soon!

Bartholomew
05-23-2011, 04:15 PM

Submission guidelines trump all, but the more words you have, the more expensive your book is to print, and the riskier you are as a new author.

starscape
05-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Thank you two. Perhaps I should split this book? But that would be uhm a bit weird ...

Anyway, no questions on studying the language yet? Ok then. It isn't that hard to study chinese.

Snitchcat
05-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Heheh. 我會問,但現在很累也受了很大的emotional turmoil/impact. (How do you say that in written Chinese?)

啊,Starscape,FYR: 我會說廣東話,不會說普通話,所以我的書面漢語比較不好也很象口語。Er.....其實,你也會看繁體字嗎 ?

-----------------

我会问,但现在很累也受了很大的emotional turmoil / impact. (How do you say that in written Chinese?)

啊,Starscape,FYR: 我会说广东话,不会说普通话,所以我的书面汉语比较不好也很象口语。Er.....其实,你也会看繁体字吗 ?

Bartholomew
05-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Thank you two. Perhaps I should split this book? But that would be uhm a bit weird ...

Anyway, no questions on studying the language yet? Ok then. It isn't that hard to study chinese.

What I really need is a coach for the four tones and for all of the consonants. The two Chinese people who listen to me try to pronounce a word correctly just sort of smirk, and then say, "No, it's fine, really." They won't say what I did wrong, or help me correct--only smirk. -_-

Bartholomew
05-23-2011, 08:54 PM

If there aren't 20,000 words you can safely delete (not necessarily all together) then you just need help looking. I mean that in a friendly, "I've had my own 120k word novel beta-read before" kind of way. It's not a matter of removing 20,000 bad words, either. Look at the difference between the edited version of Stephen King's "The Stand" and the version he put out later, with the removed sections intact. Both versions are good. But the edited one tells essentially the same story in a much, much cheaper fashion.

starscape
05-24-2011, 04:01 PM
我简繁体都可以阅读,但是不会说广东话,这门方言在大中华地区使用地域有限。普通话(国语)更便于不同地区 人们交流

你询问的句子我猜测是不是“我现在很累,思维也很混乱”,或者“我很累,脑子很乱”,或者更口语化“我累死 了,还头痛,没心情(听你的话)”

Heheh. 我會問,但現在很累也受了很大的emotional turmoil/impact. (How do you say that in written Chinese?)

啊,Starscape,FYR: 我會說廣東話,不會說普通話,所以我的書面漢語比較不好也很象口語。Er.....其實,你也會看繁體字嗎 ?

-----------------

我会问,但现在很累也受了很大的emotional turmoil / impact. (How do you say that in written Chinese?)

啊,Starscape,FYR: 我会说广东话,不会说普通话,所以我的书面汉语比较不好也很象口语。Er.....其实,你也会看繁体字吗 ?

starscape
05-24-2011, 04:06 PM
What I really need is a coach for the four tones and for all of the consonants. The two Chinese people who listen to me try to pronounce a word correctly just sort of smirk, and then say, "No, it's fine, really." They won't say what I did wrong, or help me correct--only smirk. -_-

I think most consonants are the same in English and Chinese

some are a bit mismatched. like "Ch" in English = "Q" in Chinese

I don't know it's that hard for you to speak the four tones ...

starscape
05-24-2011, 04:11 PM
If there aren't 20,000 words you can safely delete (not necessarily all together) then you just need help looking. I mean that in a friendly, "I've had my own 120k word novel beta-read before" kind of way. It's not a matter of removing 20,000 bad words, either. Look at the difference between the edited version of Stephen King's "The Stand" and the version he put out later, with the removed sections intact. Both versions are good. But the edited one tells essentially the same story in a much, much cheaper fashion.

Never had a beta reader before. Put the manuscript on Kindle once; a few purchases, but I didn't have any way to receive feedbacks.

Thank you but we should talk no more about this issue. This thread is about learning Chinese. Let's stay with the topic. :)

Bartholomew
05-24-2011, 04:53 PM
I think most consonants are the same in English and Chinese.

No. o_o

starscape
05-25-2011, 04:56 AM
Ah? Then I must have a strange accent ... 0_0

Snitchcat
05-25-2011, 06:50 AM
The consonants are more similar to French or German sometimes than they are to English. Mostly it's noticeable for r and the q or x . As fast as tones go, if you song in any capacity (doesn't matter if you're out or in time) it helps. Chinese is a tonal language. English is intoned.

Btw, I'm on the Tab right now and it's too much hassle to switch input languages.

starscape
05-27-2011, 04:28 AM
The consonants are more similar to French or German sometimes than they are to English. Mostly it's noticeable for r and the q or x . As fast as tones go, if you song in any capacity (doesn't matter if you're out or in time) it helps. Chinese is a tonal language. English is intoned.

Btw, I'm on the Tab right now and it's too much hassle to switch input languages.

I don't speak those languages, so I can't say anything. But it's good to know you have references :)

AnotherMorning
05-27-2011, 04:44 AM
ChinesePod 帮助每个人汉语的发音 (http://chinesepod.com/tools/pronunciation/section/10)

如果你认识IPA:

The following are the IPA symbols for this section’s pinyin consonant sounds:
Mandarin: ji [tɕ] English: "j" [dʒ] Mandarin: q [tɕʰ] English: "ch" [tʃ] Mandarin: x [ɕ] English: "sh" [ʃ]

Snitchcat
05-27-2011, 07:21 PM
你询问的句子我猜测是不是“我现在很累,思维也很混乱”,或者“我很累,脑子很乱”,或者更口语化“我累死 了,还头痛,没心情(听你的话)”

It's the first option: 我现在很累,思维也很混乱

Thank you.

starscape
05-28-2011, 09:08 AM
You're welcome

Snitchcat
05-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Wow... 这两日(星期六及日)真很忙和混乱, 但是很高兴有时间写作. 你们的long weekend怎么样啊? (^_^)

starscape
05-31-2011, 06:32 AM
一般般,就是普通生活和写作。
Nothing special. Just daily life and keeping writing.

如果有人感兴趣,欢迎来讨论这个“三十万字”的乱象
If anyone is interested, welcome to discuss this mess about 300K character count.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215201

starscape
06-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I presume that most problems you encounter are about idioms, right ? Because, as I see it, the Chinese words and grammar are relatively easy to you.

Snitchcat
06-01-2011, 04:22 PM
I think my main problem is exactly that and bad grammar that I can't seem to correct regardless of method tried. It's frustrating. I'll find a way, though, but would welcome any help. My goal is to be able to write a spec fic novel in Chinese.

starscape
06-02-2011, 06:32 AM
speaking of grammar, I do have to say, "just apply english grammar in general"

because chinese didn't have a grammar system in the past. what we study today was developed around 1910-20, based on english grammar

in fact, I think it's a problem for chinese language. because without grammar, an article may seem to be less logical. I feel that often, since I write in english, and when I write in chinese now, I generally follow the english grammar and that helps me clear my mind and speak logically. (to tell the truth, I find it difficult for me to write a chinese novel now...)

A side question, the mark ...... can stand for "and so on / etc" in chinese. is it the same in english? thank you.

My goal is to be able to write a spec fic novel in Chinese.
Too bad we cannot swap and edit for each other now lol

Snitchcat
06-02-2011, 08:16 AM
A side question, the mark ...... can stand for "and so on / etc" in chinese. is it the same in english? thank you.

Too bad we cannot swap and edit for each other now lol

LoL! Would love to swap a novel with you! Hopefullly at some point in the future (soon???). :)

As far as the ellipse goes (that's ... ), in English it usually means someone trailing off into silence. It's better to use "etc." or "and so on".

Snitchcat
06-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Take a semester of Classical Chinese and you'll know - boy did we have grammar - at least in the written language (not sure about spoken - no one really "speaks" in a classical tongue now do they).

Well, we had syntax anyway - English people get all confused because there's not an awful lot of morphology.

We can't. We're stuck as far as word order is concerned.

Oh, boy, does Classical Chinese ever get the prize for syntax. Lol! Spoken, the language is easier; but written, at least well-written... way harder...

Ever compared the Chinese grammar standards between HK, China and Taiwan? I'm mostly o.0 with the HK standards! Compared to the expressiveness and eloquence of China and Taiwan, HK's written Chinese is clunky and awkward.

Actually, that's a very good idea: Classical Chinese. It might help some of my grammar and idiom issues. Thanks for sparking that thought.

And welcome!

starscape
06-02-2011, 08:53 AM
LoL! Would love to swap a novel with you! Hopefullly at some point in the future (soon???). :)

As far as the ellipse goes (that's ... ), in English it usually means someone trailing off into silence. It's better to use "etc." or "and so on".

Thank you. I have just read this.

The Chicago Manual of Style (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chicago_Manual_of_Style) suggests the use of an ellipsis for any omitted word, phrase, line, or paragraph from within a quoted passage. There are two commonly used methods of using ellipses: one uses three dots for any omission, while the second one makes a distinction between omissions within a sentence (using three dots: . . .) and omissions between sentences (using a period and a space followed by three dots: . ...). An ellipsis at the end of a sentence with no sentence following should be followed by a period (for a total of four dots).
At the end of a list ", et cetera" or ", etc." may be indicated by "..." as in:
We need a lot of fruit: apples, bananas, oranges... for the luncheon. At the end of a sentence it should be followed by a period as in ", et cetera." or ", etc." or indicated by three periods (an ellipsis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis)) as in:
We need a lot of fruit: apples, bananas, oranges... Some publishing house styles[who? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Avoid_weasel_words)] (particularly in Britain) no longer require either the preceding comma or the following stop.[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] In general, writers are advised to use the traditional style unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

Snitchcat
06-02-2011, 09:04 AM
In this case, I'd suggest going with whatever feels comfortable to you, and adapt for house style when submitting. :)

AnotherMorning
06-04-2011, 05:25 PM
我最喜欢的儿歌:

泥娃娃 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXj23YsuJxI)

starscape
06-04-2011, 05:39 PM
我最喜欢的儿歌:

泥娃娃 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXj23YsuJxI)
o囧o

Snitchcat
06-04-2011, 06:16 PM
世上只有媽媽好:蕭芳芳(最原裝版本)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIpUcV7iO4k&feature=related

小白船 (有歌詞)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwQYKDe4K5E&feature=related

starscape
06-05-2011, 12:19 PM
to tell the truth, I prefer Tang poems and Song lyrics. they were songs once, and much better than contemporary Chinese songs

Snitchcat
06-08-2011, 11:25 AM
I should get back into reading Chinese poetry -- really loved reading them. Hopefully, I'll have time soon. But there are so many books I still have to read! LOL.

Trying to read "A Step In Time" by Wang Yi (can't remember the Chinese title right now) again since I keep losing my place thanks to busyness. It's the time travel series where a Twentieth Century soldier goes back in time and has to help history along by finding Q'in.

starscape
06-08-2011, 02:48 PM
哦,那个是香港作家黄易的《寻秦记》

Snitchcat
06-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Yep, that's the series! Thanks. :)

starscape
06-09-2011, 02:58 PM
早上看到一篇文章说现代汉语受满蒙的阿尔泰语很大影响,发音语法等等发生改变,与古汉语已经不同了,而南方 汉族和其他民族方言(有文章甚至举越南语、朝鲜语、日语的例子)更接近古汉语

Well, 还是多读《史记》,《战国策》等才能品味古汉语的美,就如学英语和要读Shakespeare 一样

我本来是在找秦始皇时候的人是怎么发音的,估计找不到了,最早都是唐朝的发音

starscape
06-09-2011, 05:27 PM
But we do feel lucky that we can read ancient Chinese documents easily, whereas personally it's hard for me to read an Old English book lol

Snitchcat
06-15-2011, 03:16 PM
As far as religion goes, I'm not a fan of any organised religions. But, I will say that the teachings of Buddha are relevant today as they were when he first introduced them.

Christianity isn't for me. I've had friends who are Christian and some of them border on the fanatic. They're good people, but, again, not something I wish to explore.

And in relation to Chinese being able to prove Christianity is universal and the 'one true religion', I have my reservations about any of that.

Going back far into the history of standardised written Chinese, many of the words were based on pictures, and the pronunciations seem to have originated onomatopaeically (does this adjective actually exist?).

Then again, this is my view of religion and language. I'm agnostic at best and completely skeptical about organised religion at worst. :P

starscape
06-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Christianity? No comment. Sorry.

wistfullylinda
06-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I've heard of that. One example is the word "boat" which is composed of the radicals for ship, eight, and mouth (eight mouths = eight people); some people think it's an allusion to how Noah and his family (eight people total) survived the flood in a boat. My dad said it's more likely to be about the Eight Immortals of Chinese legend, if anything. But basically all of the interpretations are like that; breaking up a word into the radicals and then making a connection to something in the Bible. I'm sure if you tried hard enough you can do that with anything. I don't find it to be a powerful argument at all, though it certainly is interesting.

Oh, another example I recall is the character for righteousness, which is composed of the radical for "sheep" on top of the radical for "me" -- Christians see it as a picture of righteousness through the sacrificial lamb covering a person. Honestly, people will see what they want to see.

But it'd be a lot of fun to research the origin of various Chinese characters, I think. Bet you can uncover lots of intriguing things about history/culture/linguistics.

C.J.Lindsay
06-15-2011, 07:52 PM
When I explain the traditional character 電 (electricity), I always say it's easy because it looks like rain or an aerial on top of a plug. The simplified looks like a plug on its own, 电. Similarly, people I know look at 站 (stand) and remember it by thinking of the right hand side part as being a Dalek. Does that mean that God always knew plugs and aerials and Daleks were going to exist? Somehow I doubt it. I'm with wistfullylinda, people will read into Chinese, as they do into anything written, what they want to. It doesn't 'make it so', to paraphrase a certain Star Trek captain.

C.J.Lindsay
06-15-2011, 07:56 PM
But it'd be a lot of fun to research the origin of various Chinese characters, I think. Bet you can uncover lots of intriguing things about history/culture/linguistics.

Cecilia Lindqvist has a great book on this: "China Empire of Living Symbols". It was one of our recommended texts at uni.

AnotherMorning
06-16-2011, 03:33 AM
This is interesting (sort of):

A work colleague who is Chinese Christian told me that Chinese characters can be used by Christians to convince the not-yet-Christians of the authenticity of Christianity as being the one true religion. Obviously people read into it what they will, but I haven't heard of Chinese characters being perceived/interpreted in this way before.

The Christian argument (at least among the Chinese) being that some Chinese characters which don't seem to make any sense in the conventional sense (and lots of characters really don't make any sense) can be explained via semantic connections using Christian themes. This then proves the universality of the Christian religion because Chinese characters were developed independently of the scripts that are used to write religious books (Hebrew, Greek, Arabic, etc...) but they can be explained by Christian means so that proves that God in his own funny way was leaving marks all around the place, even among traditionally Atheist societies.

That's a pretty slimy tactic, if true.

This does remind me of something I've seen: a lot of Chinese who come to here to either work or study end up becoming Christians. What I'm wondering is, is this because they've truly been converted or they need the social outlet of church? I'm just going on what I've seen--I can't say if this is widespread or not.

Snitchcat
06-18-2011, 04:21 PM
這兩天很productive:寫了2500多字。很久沒有寫那麽多,啊!

你們的project如何,啊?

starscape
06-20-2011, 05:41 AM
没有写什么,在这个国家工作太累了:(

AnotherMorning
06-22-2011, 02:30 AM
加油!加油!

wistfullylinda
06-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Still in planning stage. If I try to write without an outline I'll most likely give up if I don't know where it's going since that's what usually happened before...

Snitchcat
06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Hmm.... 我有或沒有outline不是問題,問題在時間和motivation,哈哈哈。但是, 我覺得最合適我而最有效的是一個"hybrid outline",是我的寫作方法的名字:寫作同時outline。

啊,說起這個,還沒有完成那篇文章;稍候在談!

wistfullylinda
06-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Really? It's the opposite for me. I find traditional so much easier to read! I guess it just depends on what you learned first.

starscape
06-24-2011, 03:12 PM
I can read both the Simplified and the Traditional. But I can only write part of the Traditional.

Yeah, I can understand them but they are just not as reader friendly as simplified characters - when my English speaking friends ask me what's the difference I tell them 简体字 = American Spelling System & 繁体字 = British/Australian/Canadian/Kiwi Spelling System.

I think a better example is 繁体字 = the Old English / or Latin and 简体字 = the contemporary English / or Roman languages

Bartholomew
06-25-2011, 11:32 AM
I think 古文 is equivalent to Latin because 繁体字 is used by Taiwan & Hong Kong to write about modern Chinese concepts, something that you cannot use Latin or Old English to do: I mean how would you even translate laptop into Latin? lol.

古文 is the Asian equivalent to Latin. When English scientists come up with a new disease or a new species of animal/plant they look up the Latin dictionary to give it its scientific name which is usually ridiculously long and sounds like a spell from Harry Potter. Lots of Asian cultures (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc...) use words from 古文 to do the same thing with the scientific names for new things in their home languages.

Old English and Latin are both dead languages. No one except Medievalist can understand them! :)

Bartholomew
06-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Oops! I meant to quote this post.

I think a better example is 繁体字 = the Old English / or Latin and 简体字 = the contemporary English / or Roman languages

Snitchcat
06-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Hmm.... I don't really think about TChi and SChi like this.

I agree, however, that Ancient Chinese can be considered Latin's Far Eastern equivalent.

But, as far as TChi goes, I'd support the theory Averon mentioned earlier: TChi would be equivalent to British English (etc.), while SChi would equal American English (etc.).

Regarding reading both forms: I switch comfortably between the two. Being in this city requires I can do that -- emails from the Mainland are in SChi (obviously, though some arrive in TChi), while other countries and regions use TChi. And there are both TChi and SChi books available here. Sometimes, the SChi is more elegant and reads much more smoothly (due to the grammar / vocab knowledge and quality of the writers / translators) than TChi. Other times, the reverse is true.

All IMO. (^_^)

starscape
06-27-2011, 02:08 PM
http://www.chineseetymology.org/

Bartholomew
06-28-2011, 12:37 AM
My user title and location either go really well together and are a bit spooky... or else they make no sense at all. :) Which is it? XD

SaraP
06-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Bart, I say they make no sense at all. :D

Bartholomew
06-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Mission accomplished. (In six layers of dream.)

Snitchcat
06-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Lol! Do you know how many plot bunnies you've just given me???

May I trout you now? LOL! :tongue

(^_^)

SaraP
06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Averon, click on UserCp and then, on the left-hand side, click on Edit Your Details. :)

SaraP
06-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Hehehehe, that's ok. ;)

It's Obrigado, btw (obrigada if you're female). :)

starscape
07-06-2011, 07:47 AM
KFP2 is still an American movie. The panda is totally a typical American character.

But I have no problem with that.

Snitchcat
07-17-2011, 09:46 AM
現在沒有什麽話題,只想知道大家的寫作progress如何?

我的只有12000多字。

starscape
07-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Still editing (a completed story). So no new words or projects being written. I've learned that I HATE editing!

Same here:cry:

Snitchcat
07-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Sounds like great progress! (^_^)

Personally, still sliding along as fast as a dead snail. (^_^)

starscape
07-18-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm giving up on editing and writing the sequel. I'll figure out what to do with the original later. I've already planned out the series which will be a trilogy. It's just a matter of getting off my lazy butt and actually doing the writing. They are stand alone books in a connected universe so if I finish them, I can sell theme individually or together - I have some leeway both ways.

Have you read Donald Maass' guidebook? Personally I found it very helpful to my revision.

Barten
07-20-2011, 07:04 AM
I'm from China . 哈哈

Barten
07-20-2011, 07:05 AM
有沒有人啊 ? 。。。。。。。。

Snitchcat
07-20-2011, 07:13 AM
當然有!但是你的posts只有一分鈡的差別,大家都沒有時間看,別需有多一點耐心!

And no, I don't pull my punches when setting people straight -- in an any language. So, other than asking if there's anyone here, describe yourself and start a conversation.

starscape
07-20-2011, 06:55 PM
风吹花至,色白如冰,落地无影,飘空如星

you are welcome XD

starscape
07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
过奖。你多读一下古典诗词,自然就会有你自己的语感了

starscape
07-21-2011, 05:03 PM
婵娟 = 嫦娥 = Goddess of Moon

共婵娟 means ”watching the moon together"

Try doing that with English & you run out of iambic meter. I don't agree, though.

Snitchcat
07-23-2011, 09:08 AM
What is commonly seen as the 'moon' particle for organs is actually another way of writing 'flesh' / 'meat'. A simplified version if you will. The lines aren't supposed to be parallel; they're short & long dots / strokes that slant towards each other to the right.

Snitchcat
07-23-2011, 10:01 PM
NP.

In print, it'd be pretty difficult to duplicate the slanted strokes, and as you read, you don't really look at all the strokes in a word, so, parallel lines work just as well.

But the obsession with the moon is really just the agricultural calendar, or lunar calendar. Hence the shift of the Chinese Lunar New Year (vs. the Occidental Solar / Gregorian Calendar New Year (someone correct me here if I got this bit wrong, thanks. (^_^) )).

starscape
07-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Averon 2011 I got a question about the characters:

Why do body organs have "moon" in them? Since when was flesh moon-like? Like stomach is moon + soil. & bone is moon with a hat on.
What is commonly seen as the 'moon' particle for organs is actually another way of writing 'flesh' / 'meat'. A simplified version if you will. The lines aren't supposed to be parallel; they're short & long dots / strokes that slant towards each other to the right.

Bone
http://www.shuowen.org/view.php?id=2559

Stomach
http://www.shuowen.org/view.php?id=2600

Meat
http://www.shuowen.org/view.php?id=2584

Moon
http://www.shuowen.org/view.php?id=4291

As you can see, meat and moon are very different.

It's all in that book《说文解字》but in China you will not learn these until undergraduate period. PS I hated this course XD the teacher was nice but I hated it.

starscape
07-24-2011, 02:03 PM
I thought it was because we're just obsessed with the moon - I mean we do have a Moon Festival, so I thought the moon-ness of the body organs is just another sign of how obsessed Chinese people are with the lunar rock.

Characters related to the "moon"

http://www.shuowen.org/index.php?kaishu=&pinyin=&bushou=%E6%9C%88&bihua=&jiegouleibie=&jiegou=&xuxuanfanqie=&juanshu=

No I don't think people here are "obsessed" with the lunar rock (what is it btw ? )

starscape
07-24-2011, 02:04 PM
NP.

In print, it'd be pretty difficult to duplicate the slanted strokes, and as you read, you don't really look at all the strokes in a word, so, parallel lines work just as well.

But the obsession with the moon is really just the agricultural calendar, or lunar calendar. Hence the shift of the Chinese Lunar New Year (vs. the Occidental Solar / Gregorian Calendar New Year (someone correct me here if I got this bit wrong, thanks. (^_^) )).

China and Italy are on different latitude, hence the different climate and hence different calendar. It's simply like that

starscape
07-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

After the goddamn 24 days I finally finished 2,000 words. It was really like squeezing a dry toothpaste tube ........................................

starscape
07-25-2011, 03:50 AM
I mean I was too slow. My speed was 3000-5000 words per week back in the day. =.=

Snitchcat
07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the links and correction, Star.

Fascinating stuff! (^_^)

Snitchcat
07-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Meh.... 3k - 5k a day.....sigh, who'm I kidding? That used to be my output; these days, it's dropped to about a third, if that. Oh well, life changes, and you adapt or get steamrolled.

starscape
07-30-2011, 04:30 AM
GRRM said in an interview that he wrote 500 pages every year

My full MS is 460 pages and I think if I didn't have depression or other things, I could have finished the first draft in a year too

Snitchcat
08-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Interesting question.

My sympathies lie with neither culture. I get the best and the worst of both sides, hence I've chosen to sit in the middle and make my own way using the knowledge and experience I have. (Obviously, I'm not reinventing the wheel when I can help it.) However, both cultures have influenced my viewpoint. As a result, the only ideals I conform to per se, are the ones I agree with and have adapted to suit me. And the only way I determine success is through my definition of it.

Personally, when it comes to the outside world, I don't bother with preconceptions and try not to stereotype anyone, regardless of ethnicity or nationality.

Probably not the type of response you were looking for or expecting? Then again, I believe in each to their own. (^_^)

Snitchcat
08-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Not sure who would be the Chinese equivalent. I want to say Tong Baht Fu (Tang Bai Fu????). Doesn't help I don't know the name's pinyin.

Snitchcat
08-27-2011, 10:51 PM
你们正在作什么?(^_^)

starscape
08-29-2011, 11:02 AM
I am sure you can understand this. And I am sure you will see the problems.

三十九卷四百五十万字 史上最长小说《你在高原》问世

本报讯 知名作家张炜近日推出了长达四百五十万字的原创长篇小说《你在高原》,该书分三十九卷,归为十个单 元。据出版方作家出版社介绍,这并非一般意义上的系列作品,而是已知中外小说史上最长、最为卷帙浩繁的一部 纯文学著作。

近二十多年来,张炜在文学上一直进行着颠覆性的创作。他在完成《古船》、《九月寓言》等里程碑式的著作的同 时,写下了《家族》、《人的杂志》、 《海客谈瀛洲》、《我的田园》、《荒原纪事》、《无边的游荡》、《鹿眼》、《忆阿雅》、《曙光与暮色》、《 橡树路》等长篇巨制,一部部完成着《你在高原》 的浩大工程,建筑着一个五光十色的艺术宫殿。作为一部原创长卷,《你在高原》中除了《家族》等两个单元作了 重要修改和重写之外,其余都是首次正式面世的作 品。

无论从语言到故事,从形式到内容,从韵致到意境,《你在高原》的分卷各不相同,创作风格绝不重复。它几乎囊 括了自十九世纪以来所有的文学实验。

其中,《家族》锦缎般的结构现实主义令人目眩,其一泻千里的澎湃激情如巨大的管风琴在鸣响。它同时继承了中 国古典小说的赋比兴,将传统的“有诗为 证”化为至美感人的散文诗。《橡树路》充分抒写了令人揪心的一段现实苦难,但却将最不可思议的一曲童话铆榫 契合地嵌入其中,实现历史与现实、童话与真实的 无缝衔接。《海客谈瀛洲》容纳了一个历史大传奇,融汇马蒂斯式的拼贴技巧、结构现实主义、“东方套盒艺术” ,是一次高难度的艺术“四重奏”。《人的杂志》 将梦幻和意识流的写作手法发挥到相当高度,是一部蕴藏人类迁徙、氏族演变、酿酒秘辛、考古探险诸多历史隐秘 的功力之书。《我的田园》以唯美主义的写作手法 将民间传奇、历史钩沉、侦探小说完美地融合在一起。《荒原纪事》第一次把民间文学的叙事框架与现实主义的写 作方法水乳交融。《鹿眼》以儿童的视角融合了魔 幻、侦探小说,并以强烈的诗性攫人心弦。《忆阿雅》采取了多视角的散点透视法,把动物作为潜在的主人公,进 行拟人化的叙述和描写,与现实故事丝丝相扣,使 阅读充满了震颤和历险般的享受。《曙光与暮色》运用结构主义的方法,以高超的写作技巧完成了三个故事的镶嵌 与拼贴,催人泪下。《无边的游荡》把19世纪的 文学经典叙事和西方歌剧艺术及现代艺术、魔幻现实主义奇妙地组合在一起。

作者张炜称自己的这部长卷“是长长的行走之书……虽然每一部皆可独立成书,但它仍然不是一般意义上的系列作 品。在这些故事的躯体上,跳动着同一颗心脏,有着同一副神经网络和血脉循环系统”。

Snitchcat
08-29-2011, 11:41 AM
"三十九卷四百五十万字" --- 我同意"是长长的行走之书"!

Will finish this off later. Still digesting the info. But that's a huge amount of words!

kzhen8
09-07-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm Chinese & speak Cantonese, but understand a little bit of mandarin too :). What's Chinese extraction?

Snitchcat
09-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Hey, Kzhen. Welcome to AW! 欢迎来AW! 我也说广东话, 同时听得懂一点儿普通话。 你会写什么小说?

I'm the same: Cantonese, but understand some Putonghua. What kind of fiction do you write?

Btw, what do you mean, "Chinese extraction"?

Bartholomew
10-03-2011, 01:03 PM
一片两片三四片,五六七八九十片。 千片万片无数片,飞入梅花都不见。

I'm told this poem refers to snow, but I don't really see it.

Snitchcat
10-04-2011, 04:15 AM
As far as I know, this poet likes to use numbers. I'm not sure I get it either unless it's about the innumerable flakes.

Snitchcat
10-04-2011, 10:20 PM
You might find this link interesting: http://www.poemlife.com/transhow-60698-1191.htm

Guess it goes back to counting the number of snowflakes. :)

Little Ming
10-05-2011, 12:17 AM
一片两片三四片,五六七八九十片。 千片万片无数片,飞入梅花都不见。

I'm told this poem refers to snow, but I don't really see it.

Oh, I like. :)

Haven't seen this poem before, so my interpretations may be waaayyyy off. ;)

First, we have the counting, like when the first snow starts, it's slow, one, two, three... you can easily count all the "pieces" of snow as they fall... Then the snow starts to fall faster, heavier, thousands, tens of thousands, and then so much snow that it can't be counted... But when the snow falls into plum blossoms they are unseen (disappear), because (falling) plum blossoms can look like snow.

All IMHO, of course. :D

Thanks for sharing, Bart.

starscape
10-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Allow me to post something funny :P

Source:http://www.guokr.com/post/68269/

========================

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

【片  名】猩星新兴

【又  名】新兴!猩猩行星

【主  演】猩猩

【剧情简介】猩猩醒,行腥行。幸,行星新兴,猩欣。

【详细剧情】锌星猩猩,猩形狌心。歆鑫薪,衅,刑姓,姓伈伈。猩悻悻,省,醒!新忻信心,辛行,行星兴 。猩欣,姓欣,馨!

【影片分级】腥

【果壳网友评论】

- 新型猩猩!!❤❤❤

- 信猩猩,行幸!

- 猩猩,行!

- 猩衅?刑猩!

- 猩猩知我心

- 猩猩,醒醒!

- 求剧透,有没有 “幸猩” 的情节~~~

starscape
10-28-2011, 02:25 PM
石室诗士施氏, 嗜狮, 誓食十狮。氏时时适市视狮。十时, 适十狮适市。是时, 适施氏适市。氏视是十狮, 恃矢势, 使是十狮逝世。氏拾是十狮尸, 适石室。石室湿, 氏使侍拭石室。石室拭, 氏始试食是十狮。食时, 始识是十狮, 实十石狮尸。试释是事。

——赵元任《施氏食狮史》

于瑜欲渔,遇余于寓。语余:“余欲渔于渝淤,与余渔渝欤?”
余语于瑜:“余欲鬻玉,俞禹欲玉,余欲遇俞于俞寓。”
余与于瑜遇俞禹于俞寓,逾俞隅,欲鬻玉于俞,遇雨,雨逾俞宇。余语于瑜:“余欲渔于渝淤,遇雨俞寓,雨逾俞 宇,欲渔欤?鬻玉欤?”
于瑜与余御雨于俞寓,俞鬻玉于余禹,雨愈,余与于瑜踽踽逾俞宇,渔于渝淤。

季姬寂,集鸡,鸡即棘鸡。棘鸡饥叽,季姬及箕稷济鸡。鸡既济,跻姬笈,季姬忌,急咭鸡,鸡急,继圾几,季姬 急,即籍箕击鸡,箕疾击几伎,伎即齑,鸡叽集几基,季姬急极屐击鸡,鸡既殛,季姬激,即记《季 姬击鸡记》。

伊姨殪,遗亿镒。伊诣邑,意医姨疫,一医医伊姨。翌,亿镒遗,疑医,以议医。医以伊疑,缢,以移伊疑。伊倚 椅以忆,忆以亿镒遗,以议伊医,亦缢。噫!亦异矣!

易姨悒悒,依议诣夷医。医疑胰疫,遗意易姨倚椅,以异仪移姨胰,弋异蚁一亿,胰液溢,蚁殪,胰以医。易胰怡 怡,贻医一夷衣。医衣夷衣,怡怡奕奕。噫!以蚁医胰,异矣!以夷衣贻夷医亦宜矣!

西溪犀,喜嬉戏。席熙夕夕携犀徙,席熙细细习洗犀。犀吸溪,戏袭熙。席熙嘻嘻希息戏。惜犀嘶嘶 喜袭熙。

唧唧鸡,鸡唧唧。几鸡挤挤集矶脊。机极疾,鸡饥极,鸡冀己技击及鲫。机既济蓟畿,鸡计疾机激几鲫。机疾极, 鲫极悸,急急挤集矶级际。继即鲫迹极寂寂,继即几鸡既饥,即唧唧。

芝之稚侄郅,至智,知制纸,知织帜,芝痔炙痔,侄至芝址,知之知芷汁治痔,至芷址,执芷枝,蜘至,踯侄,执 直枝掷之,蜘止,侄执芷枝至芝,芝执芷治痔,痔止。

starscape
10-28-2011, 02:26 PM
烟沿艳檐掩燕眼

征求下联

Little Ming
11-10-2011, 05:28 AM
A new fanzine based on Chinese literature. I am not in any way connected, but I thought some of you guys might be interested.

http://sevensages.genreverse.com/2011/10/04/small-talk/

http://xiaoshuo.genreverse.com/

Also, there's the Wuxia Anthology. I am still not in anyway connected, but it does look interesting. Wish there was more info on it though.

http://wuxia.genreverse.com/submissions

:D

nibris
11-15-2011, 05:47 AM
如果你是中国人请告诉我!我这个学期有两门中文课,我很想练习我的中文。 =)

Snitchcat
11-24-2011, 04:14 PM
石室诗士施氏, 嗜狮, 誓食十狮。

Lol! Loved this. Works great in putonghua and is highly amusing in cantonese!

Xiexie!

Snow
11-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Chinese Media Impartiality:

People need to cut the "state run media" of China some slack. The way that Eastern media is portrayed in the West, you'd think that China would actively screen out anything pro-democracy or pro-Western just in case its citizens get some bad ideas.

I saw some Chinese news segments recently and both the Libyan uprising as well as the Spanish elections were reported upon. None of the pro-democracy aspects of these stories were screened out.

Snitchcat
11-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Perhaps I have failed to grasp the point of this post regarding Chinese media.

Exactly whom was this addressed to?

Lunatique
11-27-2011, 05:22 PM
What a surprise to see a thread like this. I had no idea so many people know Chinese around here.

我中文打字太慢了。平時都是用英文。除非逼不得已才用中文。

I'm Chinese (born in Taiwan, grew up in California, currently living in China), and fluently bilingual.

I worked as a songwriter briefly in Taiwan (writing songs for popstars).

I write fiction only in English, since I'm not all that interested in the Chinese literary world. I do read books in Chinese every once a while though. One of my all-time favorite novels is a Chinese one written by a Taiwanese writer (she later moved to the States and wrote English novels too).

Just curious--how many of you actually read Chinese novels (in Chinese, not translated versions)?

Snitchcat
11-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Well, I'd be one. There are a few of us, but very busy.

Welcome to the thread Luna!

Snitchcat
12-19-2011, 05:58 PM
聖诞就快到了,你们有什么活动啊? (^_^)

chocowrites
01-09-2012, 05:31 AM
/shamelessly bumps thread

hi. :hi:

我是中文一年及的学生。我很 喜欢 学中文, 但是 我觉得中文语法有一点儿难。我每天都去上网 很长的时间,所以 要是 我 可以 练习 写 汉字 (on AW),我很高兴。

I hope that makes sense. (:

AnotherMorning
01-09-2012, 08:03 AM
欢迎,chocowrites. 我希望你的中文越来越好!

Snitchcat
01-09-2012, 09:00 AM
欢迎 Chocowrites! 很高兴认识你。 你这句也不错。你比较喜欢那一个genre?

chocowrites
01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
AnotherMorning, Snitchcat, 谢谢! 我也很高兴认识你们。

我 比较喜欢 young adult. 你 们 呢?

Snitchcat
01-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Writing: Fantasy with SF elements sometimes.

Reading: Fantasy / SF / Horror / YA. Or, barring Romance and Westerns (I don't like the genres' concepts or the stories offered), any book that's really good and manages to make me forget about genres while immersed in the story.

(Way too tired to switch keyboards.)

Skiaplg
01-18-2012, 01:35 AM
你好, 我是学生在苏格兰。我在高中学过中文。 我住过北京四个月,和住过上海两个月。我在苏格兰不学中文,所以我的中文不太好!我也喜欢看‘ young adult’的书。我很高兴认识你们!

Snitchcat
01-23-2012, 11:47 AM
龙年到了! 恭喜发财!祝大家
身体健康,心想事成,龙马精神,
年年有馀,一帆风顺,万事如意,
步步高升,笑口常开!
恭喜恭喜!

TheHungryFreelancer
06-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Just wondering if we had any writers here who either live in China or speak Chinese. :) I'm planning to relocate to either Taiwan or mainland China within the next two years and would love to find some fellow writers who speak the language!

Lola Dodge
08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm in Taiwan--a bit outside Taipei--and will be here another 6 months to a year. Unfortunately, I know just enough Mandarin to get by. The tones kill me...even when I try, people look at me like I'm speaking Russian.

But Taiwan is cool. Happy to talk about it or writing--let me know where you end up : ) It would be awesome to find more writers in the area!

Snitchcat
08-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi!

There's a China / Chinese thread in here. Full of people who speak Chinese; we've been quiet lately due to work, writing and life.

Try this thread: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184904

Snitchcat
08-22-2012, 09:58 AM
大家好!都有一段时间没有在者儿倾谈啊!你们正在作什么呢?

SaraP
10-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Whoosh!

Thread merge complete! :)

Snitchcat
10-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks, Sara! :)

Bartholomew
10-17-2012, 09:08 PM
我想看中文书。Some kind of primer, maybe. I'm pretty goddamn elementary still. Any recommendations?

Snitchcat
10-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Kids story books, especially Chinese fairy tales. You might also look for books that have Englisu and Chinese printed side by side; I believe "Little Prince", "Hua Mulan" (not Disney's version), etc., should be available.

Snitchcat
10-22-2012, 04:57 AM
或者你可以多一些試試寫中文?FB也是一個方法,不過很口唔化的,但如果你想试下看,我可以介紹一個com munity。

Petite Deborah
07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I wanna say a big thank you to Snitchcat for letting me know of this thread. It's great to connect with other overseas Chinese here, like a big family, though. :)

Snitchcat
07-14-2013, 09:19 AM
You're welcome, Deborah.

=======================

Okay, I have a question for everyone: Where are you all? o,0
你们在哪儿?很久没看见、没谈话,啦!大家好吗?正在大家写什么故事或文章或现在做什么呢?

Putputt
07-15-2013, 05:07 AM
O shiet, came by this thread and...just had to say, after ten years of not reading nor writing Mandarin,

我还了解你写的字!

...of course having said that, that's probably full of errors. :D

Petite Deborah
07-15-2013, 08:00 PM
You're welcome, Deborah.

=======================

Okay, I have a question for everyone: Where are you all? o,0
你们在哪儿?很久没看见、没谈话,啦!大家好吗?正在大家写什么故事或文章或现在做什么呢?

Snitchcat! I'm still in my war-zone. Trying to finish the novel I've left behind earlier this year. I've also updated my website (aherm!). Added a few useable widgets here and there. Finally got my hands on Goodreads and Twitter! Yeah, I'm flying with the blue birdy. So, add me @PetiteDeborah. I would strongly suggest, I know it sounds compulsory but yeah, we should keep in touch especially it's difficult to have Overseas Chinese who are bilingual...or Trilingual...Or whatever...

Putputt: Welcome to this site. And of course 我了解你写的字.

lambauman
07-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Hey, I am a bilingual Chinese living in the US. Nice to meet y'all. (Okay, I'm in the south.) Writing my second novel now while revising my first. I'd love to connect with other overseas Chinese who are writing stories in English.

能在网上跟熱爱写作的朋友交流真是太好了。

Lam ^_^

chocowrites
07-16-2013, 02:07 AM
hello everyone!

大家好!

八月末我会去中国留学,所以现在我尽可能多练习中文。因为现在是暑假,很多字我已经忘记了。我恨怕我去中国 的时候,什么话我都听不懂, 哈哈。

我很高兴我可以跟你们聊天儿!

我半年没写小说,可是我最近开始一个新小说, 也想写一点诗。

Putputt
07-16-2013, 02:10 AM
hello everyone!

大家好!

八月末我会去中国留学,所以现在我尽可能多练习中文。因为现在是暑假,很多字我已经忘记了。我恨怕我去中国 的时候,什么话我都听不懂, 哈哈。

我很高兴我可以跟你们聊天儿!

我半年没写小说,可是我最近开始一个新小说, 也想写一点诗。

你写什么小说呢?

chocowrites
07-16-2013, 02:14 AM
我写一个 middle grade fantasy。

你呢?

Putputt
07-16-2013, 02:18 AM
我在写 fantasy. 我另外一本书是 YA fantasy.

Er, actually, I'm currently editing my fantasy novel...but can't remember what the word for "editing" is...:D

chocowrites
07-16-2013, 02:24 AM
啊,很棒!我爱看fantasy书。

我通常写YA,所以我很喜欢在 AW's YA board看他们的讨论。

Putputt
07-16-2013, 02:38 AM
我也喜欢看那边的 forum.

可是我最喜欢在 QLH.

Petite Deborah
07-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Hey, I am a bilingual Chinese living in the US. Nice to meet y'all. (Okay, I'm in the south.) Writing my second novel now while revising my first. I'd love to connect with other overseas Chinese who are writing stories in English.

能在网上跟熱爱写作的朋友交流真是太好了。

Lam ^_^

Hi Lam, what novel you're revising? One of my novels is under querying submission, while I'm outlining the last part of my 5th novel I've started earlier this year. Have to finish it, edit and submit directly to publishers. Yes, keep in touch

lambauman
07-16-2013, 10:08 PM
我在写 fantasy. 我另外一本书是 YA fantasy.

Er, actually, I'm currently editing my fantasy novel...but can't remember what the word for "editing" is...:D

I write YA fantasy too. ^_^

lambauman
07-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Hi Lam, what novel you're revising? One of my novels is under querying submission, while I'm outlining the last part of my 5th novel I've started earlier this year. Have to finish it, edit and submit directly to publishers. Yes, keep in touch

I am revising a YA epic fantasy. Still figuring out the revision process.

Keep in touch.

^_^

Putputt
07-17-2013, 11:36 PM

Hi Deborah, 你是冲从(Thank you Ming!)马来西亚来的吗?我是冲从印尼来的,离你不太远!最喜欢吃马来菜! :)

I write YA fantasy too. ^_^

你写的故事是什么呢?(Um, in case I said that wrong, what's it about? :D)

Greetings everyone,

Nice to meet you all here. I'm a bilingual author. I write YA fantasy, too. Currently two of my YA books are considered by publishers. 希望他们快点买下来, so I can write a sequel.

欢迎光临!Best of luck with your books... 如果有信息(is this right?)要告诉我们啊!

lambauman
07-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Greetings everyone,

Nice to meet you all here. I'm a bilingual author. I write YA fantasy, too. Currently two of my YA books are considered by publishers. 希望他们快点买下来, so I can write a sequel.

That's wonderful! 祝你好运。How long have you been writing? What are your stories about?

lambauman
07-18-2013, 09:39 AM
你写的故事是什么呢?(Um, in case I said that wrong, what's it about? )

Putputt, thanks for asking. My story currently in revision is set in a world similar to ancient China. Feisty teenage slave battles her ruthless master for a relic to save her brother, only to find out she has set events in motion to destroy the world.

The story I'm writing form CampNaNo right now is a steampunk fantasy set in 1898 Hong Kong. An uneducated Tanka girl tries to make a new life by working in a British nobleman's household. But when an ancient secret threatens the balance of power between nations, will she sacrifice her life to prevent a war between her motherland and her adopted country?

What is your story about?

Petite Deborah
07-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Hi Deborah, 你是冲从(Thank you Ming!)马来西亚来的吗?我是冲从印尼来的,离你不太远!最喜欢吃马来菜! :)

Yes! I'm a Malaysian and been living here like the rest of my life. So, you're now based in Oxford. It's summer now, how's it? I can understand Chinese but my pc has no big5code system. So sorry...Which part of 印尼 you're from? I love Chinese and Western. Which 马来菜 is your fave?

Petite Deborah
07-19-2013, 07:35 AM
Putputt, thanks for asking. My story currently in revision is set in a world similar to ancient China. Feisty teenage slave battles her ruthless master for a relic to save her brother, only to find out she has set events in motion to destroy the world.

The story I'm writing form CampNaNo right now is a steampunk fantasy set in 1898 Hong Kong. An uneducated Tanka girl tries to make a new life by working in a British nobleman's household. But when an ancient secret threatens the balance of power between nations, will she sacrifice her life to prevent a war between her motherland and her adopted country?

Lam, I'm going to be your fan now! I'm hooking onto your feisty teens slave battling relic story and your steampunk fantasy based in HONG KONG. I've been wondering when a book can be based in HK in a post-apocalyptic/Dystopian way. Really anticipating it. Jia you...

Putputt
07-19-2013, 12:05 PM

What is your story about?

That sounds so cool! Let me know if/when you write a query for it...I will keep an eye out on QLH. :)

My first book's about teenage assassins. The second one's about a kidnapping set in a fantasy world.

Yes! I'm a Malaysian and been living here like the rest of my life. So, you're now based in Oxford. It's summer now, how's it? I can understand Chinese but my pc has no big5code system. So sorry...Which part of 印尼 you're from? I love Chinese and Western. Which 马来菜 is your fave?

That's okay, I actually have to go to http://www.quickmandarin.com/chineseinput/inputchinesepy.php to type in Mandarin. I was doing it more for practice than anything. I'm much more comfortable conversing in English. :D

This summer's actually been really nice and warm...not as warm as SE Asia though. My family lives in Jakarta. Anda cakap bahasa Melayu? (Wait, is it Melayu or Malay?)

My fav Malaysian foods are similar to Indo foods...nasi lemak (or nasi uduk in Indo)...oh man, I could just eat nasi lemak on its own, it's so delicious, but with ikan bilis it's just to die for. Roti Canai is of course on the list. Fish head curry with lots of lady fingers...sambal udang...actually, anything with sambal. You could put sambal on a shoe and I'd probably be tempted to eat it. And of course, Malaysian durian!! Oh my gawd, I would kill for one right now. :D

Hm, I made myself hungry now.

Petite Deborah
07-19-2013, 06:11 PM
That sounds so cool! Let me know if/when you write a query for it...I will keep an eye out on QLH. :)

My first book's about teenage assassins. The second one's about a kidnapping set in a fantasy world.

That's okay, I actually have to go to http://www.quickmandarin.com/chineseinput/inputchinesepy.php to type in Mandarin. I was doing it more for practice than anything. I'm much more comfortable conversing in English. :D

This summer's actually been really nice and warm...not as warm as SE Asia though. My family lives in Jakarta. Anda cakap bahasa Melayu? (Wait, is it Melayu or Malay?)

My fav Malaysian foods are similar to Indo foods...nasi lemak (or nasi uduk in Indo)...oh man, I could just eat nasi lemak on its own, it's so delicious, but with ikan bilis it's just to die for. Roti Canai is of course on the list. Fish head curry with lots of lady fingers...sambal udang...actually, anything with sambal. You could put sambal on a shoe and I'd probably be tempted to eat it. And of course, Malaysian durian!! Oh my gawd, I would kill for one right now. :D

Hm, I made myself hungry now.

Yes, I speak Melayu. Nasi lemak, roti canai and durian are my fave. I'm sure you can get those in Oxford, huh? What're you studying there? Thx for the add on twitter. I've added you as well. I've been pretty busy these few days, setting up my poetry website and my novel is still under querying submission. *sigh*

Putputt
07-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Yes, I speak Melayu. Nasi lemak, roti canai and durian are my fave. I'm sure you can get those in Oxford, huh? What're you studying there? Thx for the add on twitter. I've added you as well. I've been pretty busy these few days, setting up my poetry website and my novel is still under querying submission. *sigh*

Nope! I can get nasi lemak, but not roti canai or good durian in Oxford. :( I was studying Creative Writing, but now I'm married and working as a photographer.

How exciting that your book is being queried! Ceritanya tentang apa? (Not sure if that translates to Malay...:D)

PandaMan
07-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Dajia hao. Wo huishuo yidian putonghua. Wode taitai, nuer, shi zhongguo ren, keshi wo shi meiguo ren.

Sorry I can't type Chinese on my computer. I'm always looking to connect with Chinese folks. I've traveled to China several times and find it fascinating.

Petite Deborah
07-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Nope! I can get nasi lemak, but not roti canai or good durian in Oxford. :( I was studying Creative Writing, but now I'm married and working as a photographer.

How exciting that your book is being queried! Ceritanya tentang apa? (Not sure if that translates to Malay...:D)

Ini cerita tentang percutian sambil belajar saya ke Vancouver, Canada. Ia seperti semi-autobiography. Saya memaparkan excerpt tersebut dalam blog saya.

(In Eng) It's about my study-vacation in Vancouver, Canada. It's like an simi-autobiography. I even post the excerpt on my blog.

Not bad huh, working and studying + married = formula of blissfulness. Isn't life's great? He-he

Petite Deborah
07-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Dajia hao. Wo huishuo yidian putonghua. Wode taitai, nuer, shi zhongguo ren, keshi wo shi meiguo ren.

Sorry I can't type Chinese on my computer. I'm always looking to connect with Chinese folks. I've traveled to China several times and find it fascinating.

I get what you mean, PandaMan. A very warm welcome to you. So, what's up lately? Ni xian zai zhu zai mei guo de na yi ke zhou? (which state of USA u live?)

Putputt
07-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Ini cerita tentang percutian sambil belajar saya ke Vancouver, Canada. Ia seperti semi-autobiography. Saya memaparkan excerpt tersebut dalam blog saya.

(In Eng) It's about my study-vacation in Vancouver, Canada. It's like an simi-autobiography. I even post the excerpt on my blog.

Not bad huh, working and studying + married = formula of blissfulness. Isn't life's great? He-he

Wow, anda di Vancouver berapa lama? Disana pasti dingin sekali. Di Oxford kalau lagi musim dinging saya kedinginan bangettt rasanya pingin berendam air panas sepanjang hari. :)

I'll have to check out your blog, bukunya kayanya menarik!

PandaMan
07-20-2013, 10:18 PM
I get what you mean, PandaMan. A very warm welcome to you. So, what's up lately? Ni xian zai zhu zai mei guo de na yi ke zhou? (which state of USA u live?)

Wo zhuzai Florida.

I've never been to Kuala Lumpur but have been to Singapore a couple times. I guess the weather there is just like Florida's summer, except in Malaysia it lasts all year long.

My MC in my WIP comes from a village that I imagine like a southern Chinese village, and another important character comes from a village patterned after the island of Bali - my favorite place I've ever been to. The story is a made up world but based on a mishmash of real cultures and real places.

Snitchcat
07-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Sounds like an intriguing story, Panda.

Welcome to the International District's Chinese Family everyone!

Putputt
07-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Wo zhuzai Florida.

I've never been to Kuala Lumpur but have been to Singapore a couple times. I guess the weather there is just like Florida's summer, except in Malaysia it lasts all year long.

My MC in my WIP comes from a village that I imagine like a southern Chinese village, and another important character comes from a village patterned after the island of Bali - my favorite place I've ever been to. The story is a made up world but based on a mishmash of real cultures and real places.

I spent a good chunk of my life in Singapore and love it there. :) And Bali...how many times have you been there, PandaMan? I hope you ate at Bu Oka's...

PandaMan
07-22-2013, 03:02 AM
I spent a good chunk of my life in Singapore and love it there. :) And Bali...how many times have you been there, PandaMan? I hope you ate at Bu Oka's...

I was in Ubud for three weeks back in Nov-Dec 1990. I first stayed at a family run hotel for a couple days, then lived with a family in their home. Once I returned home I discovered it was illegal for tourists to live with the Balinese at their home. Ha, but no one told me about that nor did anyone give me a hard time about it. It was a tremendous experience, however.

Petite Deborah
07-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Wow, anda di Vancouver berapa lama? Disana pasti dingin sekali. Di Oxford kalau lagi musim dinging saya kedinginan bangettt rasanya pingin berendam air panas sepanjang hari. :)

I'll have to check out your blog, bukunya kayanya menarik!

Menarik kah blog saya? Saya study-vacation di Vancouver ada sebulan setengah, dari July hingga mid-August. kalau saya tinggal di Oxford, jom kita berdua berendam di dalam air panas dan minum latte. Ha-ha...

Petite Deborah
07-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Wo zhuzai Florida.

Which part of Florida? I'm sorta well-verse of FL. Thanks to CSI Miami and Miami Vice. I know that's out of the picture. Ha-ha. M'sia is hot and when it rains, it gets really cold, esp if it rains like daily. The city will be crying due to the traffic jam and flash flood.

And I love Asian stories written by Westerner. It's something different. There's a book of horror genre which I'm dying to read - written by an American when he was working in Taiwan. The book is called Jin Village published by Samhain Publishing. I'm someone that hook on multicultural and interracial stories.

My aunt is based in Singapore. Vacation will be great though there's nothing difference except cleaner and organised public transportation. Not intending to cramp myself into this Island City of close to millions of population.

Bali is one of my dream destinations and Ubud is one of the choices. They used to have writer's festival there. Is it still legal for a tourist to live with the Balinese now? What's the reason behind of this prohibition?

Petite Deborah
07-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Sounds like an intriguing story, Panda.

Welcome to the International District's Chinese Family everyone!

Hmm, Snitch, great name there IDCF.

PandaMan
07-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Which part of Florida? I'm sorta well-verse of FL. Thanks to CSI Miami and Miami Vice. I know that's out of the picture. Ha-ha. M'sia is hot and when it rains, it gets really cold, esp if it rains like daily. The city will be crying due to the traffic jam and flash flood.

And I love Asian stories written by Westerner. It's something different. There's a book of horror genre which I'm dying to read - written by an American when he was working in Taiwan. The book is called Jin Village published by Samhain Publishing. I'm someone that hook on multicultural and interracial stories.

My aunt is based in Singapore. Vacation will be great though there's nothing difference except cleaner and organised public transportation. Not intending to cramp myself into this Island City of close to millions of population.

Bali is one of my dream destinations and Ubud is one of the choices. They used to have writer's festival there. Is it still legal for a tourist to live with the Balinese now? What's the reason behind of this prohibition?

I currently live in a small town called Oviedo in the Orlando area. I grew up in Orlando but have lived all over the US. Orlando is COMPLETELY different than Miami.

I'm not sure why about the prohibition. The Indonesian government can be pretty controlling but I know they're also sensitive about protecting Balinese culture from too much outside influence - an almost impossible task. I just did a web search and it looks like there's something called a Homestay Program where tourists can stay with a Balinese family. It sounds like something similar to a Bed and Breakfast here in the US.

Thanks for mentioning Jin Village. I'll check that out since multicultural stories are dear to my heart too.

Snitchcat
07-25-2013, 08:32 PM
多不同文法的小说是很好看。我自己写的小说也包括很多不同文法和国家,research非常有 趣。

chocowrites
07-25-2013, 09:18 PM
我希望将来放假的时候我可以去新加坡或者马来西亚旅行!

snitchcat,你现在研究什么国家?

Snitchcat
07-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Choco, 正在研究怎么combine故代中国、西藏、香港和一点点英国。 很多的东西需要考虑。

Petite Deborah
07-27-2013, 07:42 PM

snitchcat,你现在研究什么国家?

Hello chocowrites, 我是马来西亚华桥。欢迎你来到马来西亚渡假。

Snitchcat, 你是要写time-travel的故事吗?

Snitchcat
07-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Hehehe, oh no. I'm just using various elements to create an alternate universe. :)

chocowrites
07-29-2013, 05:58 AM

谢谢你。我很想去马来西亚度假,看那儿很漂亮的景色!

啊, 那个题目很有意思!我很喜欢学历史,觉得很酷你可以一边写小说一边学文化传统。

Snitchcat
08-17-2013, 03:35 AM
It's great fun! Especially when you need to study the ancient writing styles for Chinese. Love figuring out the words.

我該寫多一些中文,不過刚刚在大陸和共應商開了2天會,珼在不太想說中文。

aswiftsunset
09-18-2013, 05:48 AM
你好! 我学中文。 我的中文不好。

I'm much better at interpreting Pinyin but I only started learning about two weeks ago. So far, I can make small conversation and recognise a few characters like Wo, ni, hao, and zhongwen. I hope I can get to practise some here. :)

Dysnomia
09-18-2013, 08:20 AM

Hello! I'm from Singapore! Neighbors! :D (But currently studying in the States)

Hello! I'm from Singapore! I know this is really late now... But oh well... Hello! :D

Snitchcat
10-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Hi, Swift, RLim! Welcome to the IDCF (International District's Chinese Family)!

Have at it, Swift.

How you finding studying in the States, RLim?

chompers
10-25-2013, 05:02 AM
大家好!

Snitchcat
10-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Chompers, 你好!欢迎到IDCF!

Dysnomia
10-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Hi, Swift, RLim! Welcome to the IDCF (International District's Chinese Family)!

Have at it, Swift.

How you finding studying in the States, RLim?

Hello, Snitchat! Studying in the States seem less stressful (so far) compared to studying in Singapore... (Currently in college now) So I'm happy! :-D

Snitchcat
10-28-2013, 09:01 AM
That's cool, RLim! Glad you're enjoying it. How are the studies going?

Dysnomia
10-29-2013, 01:09 AM
Hey, Snitchat! Studies are going all right, I guess. Some classes are going fine... some are not... But they're all because of what I do anyway :\ Thank you for asking!!

FionnJameson
12-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Hey, anyone in Hangzhou? We moved here in August and will be here for the next two years and then in Ningbo for two years after that. Would love to get together for some writing and coffee together :)