• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a Beta/Mentor (urban fantasy, little nervous)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLotusEater

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I've just started my urban fantasy novel. I think the concept is unique and I'm extremely paranoid about my ideas... as I imagine most new writers are. Basically, I'm looking for unbiased opinions from people that don't love me. I need someone to tell me how bad I suck and what I need to do to fix it. Grammar and sentence structure seem to be my biggest weaknesses right now. Though I'm sure hundreds more will surface before I'm done. At this point, I'm basically vomiting out line after line, but it's a little out of control and I'm worried about staring down a mountain of pages to rewrite and rework.

The story is more or less developed in my head (in it's most basic, stripped down form, of course), and I feel that it is unique(ish). I know the end and the characters are pretty much developed (the main ones anyway).

Anyway... super paranoid and looking for a buddy to bounce ideas off of and tell me how bad I am.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

new writer 56

Registered
Reaction score
Is this YA or Adult Fantasy ? I write MG. However I read Fantasy for all age groups.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Get the book Plot & Structure. That's a good starting point at your stage of development. Bouncing ideas off of other people can be helpful but I think it's better to develop a better eye for your own work through ongoing self-education (or teacher-lead education, although personally I find I learn more faster through books).

TheLotusEater

Registered
Reaction score
Get the book Plot & Structure. That's a good starting point at your stage of development. Bouncing ideas off of other people can be helpful but I think it's better to develop a better eye for your own work through ongoing self-education (or teacher-lead education, although personally I find I learn more faster through books).

I actually posted the first chapter in the Show Your Work forum. It's under "Gulp! Rake me over the coals!" :)

It's Adult. It's actually an epic story that starts out pretty small in the first book. I have a vision of what I want and two characters developed. I have two chapters and the prologue in draft form right now.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Lotus, it sounds to me just like a little of the beginning-of-the-book blues. I think every writer gets this on nearly every novel he or she writes at some point in the process. I think all of us wake up some mornings and say, "This is the worst piece of drivel ever to be set on paper. I should print it out in triplicate and feed it to the fire!"

Well, at least I know Holly Lisle does, since she's pretty honest about this stuff, and I know that my best friend's mom, best selling romance author Cathy Maxwell, does.

My advice? Finish it before asking for critique. Your story is shy now. If you expose it to criticism already it may decide to never show its face in public (or on paper at any rate) again.

And if it truly is horrible? A finished piece of crap is way better than an unfinished piece of crap any day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.