PDA

View Full Version : SP 1 - Fleshpeoples 0

scarletpeaches
07-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Last night I did my shopping online for the first time ever and the delivery was made this afternoon. All groceries present and correct.

I think if I organised things well I could have my need to venture out of the house down to once or twice a week for only a few hours at a time.

Tomorrow is one of those days, thanks to some stupid law about paying your taxes, and I won't let the council loose on my bank account with any direct debit mandate, thank you very much.

I love the internet. It means I can kid myself I'm interacting with other like-minded people-haters, and I don't have to make any of that quaint 'conversation' nonsense or integrate into society, whatever that means.

Screw you, world!

aadams73
07-05-2010, 09:32 PM
I love fleshpeople; they sizzle when I sacrifice them to the literary gods.

*goes back to ignoring ringing cell phone*

kayleamay
07-05-2010, 09:44 PM
I had a breakthrough moment during a snowstorm last year when I realized, if it wasn't for that damn job of mine, I would never have to leave the house for anything. No standing in checkout lines. No listening to crying babies or arguing adults while I eat my dinner. No cashiers that can't make change. No need for clothes.

I dream of that life.

Medievalist
07-05-2010, 09:45 PM
When you can't drive, being able to order heavy items to be delivered is fabulous. I used to have to buy bottled water, by the gallon, and there is no way I wanted to have to walk home carrying it all.

scarletpeaches
07-05-2010, 09:46 PM
I can't drive, and my dad asked me to order in some bottled water for him, so we have more in common than I realised! :eek:

I just have to lug the bottles round to his house now but he only lives round the corner.

I own more pairs of pyjamas than I do pairs of jeans, which shows how often I get dressed and leave the house.

aadams73
07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I really don't mind going out at all, but I have to say I do like self-checkouts. I can scan and pack faster and more efficiently.

firedrake
07-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Well, one of the jobs in the UK that hubs has applied for is on a racing yard in the middle of nowhere. The nearest village only has 57 houses, no shops, no pub (:Wha:), nothing, nada, zippo, zilch. I really hope he gets this job because I will certainly be availing myself of online shopping. :D

I can't think of anything nicer than living in a little cottage on a racing yard in the middle of the Chilterns AONB and have as little to do with fleshpeoples as possible. They make me grumpy, very very grumpy.

KTC
07-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Last night I did my shopping online for the first time ever and the delivery was made this afternoon. All groceries present and correct.

I think if I organised things well I could have my need to venture out of the house down to once or twice a week for only a few hours at a time.

Tomorrow is one of those days, thanks to some stupid law about paying your taxes, and I won't let the council loose on my bank account with any direct debit mandate, thank you very much.

I love the internet. It means I can kid myself I'm interacting with other like-minded people-haters, and I don't have to make any of that quaint 'conversation' nonsense or integrate into society, whatever that means.

Screw you, world!

as much as i hate you, it must also be said that i love you.

Bookewyrme
07-05-2010, 11:20 PM
When you can't drive, being able to order heavy items to be delivered is fabulous. I used to have to buy bottled water, by the gallon, and there is no way I wanted to have to walk home carrying it all.
QFT. I just wish they didn't charge quite so much for delivery lately...

I own more pairs of pyjamas than I do pairs of jeans, which shows how often I get dressed and leave the house.

I just realized that this is true for me as well. Hrm...Interesting.

spamwarrior
07-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I just realized that I have to leave the house for 4 weeks and go integrate with society at a music festival.

Oh wait, it's a music festival. Which means that people will be stuck in practice rooms all the time! (according to my piano teacher, who is director of the piano program at said music festival)

Yay! I'm safe!

Bookewyrme
07-06-2010, 02:36 AM
I just realized that I have to leave the house for 4 weeks and go integrate with society at a music festival.

Oh wait, it's a music festival. Which means that people will be stuck in practice rooms all the time! (according to my piano teacher, who is director of the piano program at said music festival)

Yay! I'm safe!

Music is kinda weird. It's one of those things that is at once supremely interactive (you play together as an ensemble/band/orchestra etc) and yet at the same time it is completely solitary, just you and the instrument. Kind of like the intertubes! :D

backslashbaby
07-06-2010, 02:49 AM
I have a very bad back, so I shop online whenever possible. They carry the stuff for you!!! Yes, that makes me tremendously happy :D

spamwarrior
07-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Music is kinda weird. It's one of those things that is at once supremely interactive (you play together as an ensemble/band/orchestra etc) and yet at the same time it is completely solitary, just you and the instrument. Kind of like the intertubes! :D

It is that! It feels as if the majority of the practicing is so very solitary -- practice piano by yourself hours and hours, spend less time with the orchestra in total. I'm a solitary person to start with.

bettielee
07-06-2010, 09:53 AM
My grocery store has a $50 min for delivery. I figure, if I really wanted to, I could call and threaten them.... "If you don't bring me mah groceries, I'm gonna come in there." And then proceed to describe myself and how grumpy I am.

Xelebes
07-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I go to the store to buy everything. It's my only social interaction. =/

Silent Rob
07-06-2010, 12:34 PM

Whatever happened to going shopping in your pyjamas? Some people have no style.

seun
07-06-2010, 04:33 PM
A conversation between my wife and I last week.

Wife: "We need to go to Asda this week."
Me: "Can't we just get it delivered as normal?"
Wife: "They always cock something up and send us meat that's about to go out of date."
Me: "But going shopping means being around people. You know how I feel about people."

She agreed that getting it delivered was a good idea.

kayleamay
07-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Whatever happened to going shopping in your pyjamas? Some people have no style.

Oh, muppet! You ARE capable of learning! I'm so proud. I'll take you with me the next time I feel like going to the grocery store in my flannels at 3 a.m.

BTW, this is a great way to avoid people too. The only downside is having to dodge all of the boxes, because they're usually restocking the shelves about that time.

Mr Flibble
07-06-2010, 05:05 PM
The only problem with shopping at supermarkets online is when they substitute an alternative, which often bears little resemblance to what you actually ordered.

And then explaining to the delivery driver that no, tampons are not an acceptable substitute for toilet paper.

Wife: "We need to go to Asda this week."
Me: "Can't we just get it delivered as normal?"
Wife: "They always cock something up and send us meat that's about to go out of date."
Me: "But going shopping means being around people. You know how I feel about people."

Arggggh! Asda! One, the local one is in Creepy Crawley. Two, it is full of people from Crawley. About all it's good for is watching people swear at their kids or deciding which breed of chav that one over there is

ETA: I sound like a right snob lol, which, when you consider how common I am, just goes to show...how low people can go.

Albedo
07-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Can't you just shop at Aldi at 3am like us normal misanthropes do?

CatSlave
07-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Being a creature of the night, I love grocery shopping at 3 A.M. You only bump into kindred souls then.
And single guys.

Around here, the 24-hour grocery has become the singles bar of the 90's.

On a side note, do you ever profile people by what you see in their grocery carts?

Yeshanu
07-06-2010, 05:45 PM

You don't necessarily have to set it up as direct debit--can you set it up so you pay it yourself by online banking, though? That's how I pay a number of my bills.

Then you could stay in the house even longer. :D

quickWit
07-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I used to have to buy bottled water, by the gallon, and there is no way I wanted to have to walk home carrying it all.

I used to feel that way, med. Then I discovered just how much my wife could carry.

seun
07-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Arggggh! Asda! One, the local one is in Creepy Crawley. Two, it is full of people from Crawley. About all it's good for is watching people swear at their kids or deciding which breed of chav that one over there is

My choice is Asda and Tesco which are both full of smelly people, or Sainsburys and Waitrose which are just overpriced and full of wankers.*

*No offence to anyone who shops in Sainsburys or Waitrose. Unless you're a wanker. :D

BenPanced
07-07-2010, 12:04 AM
So, what happens if I ever come to visit? We have to yell at each other through the mail slot in the front door?

scarletpeaches
07-07-2010, 12:06 AM
If you dressed as a baboon just to make me laugh, you'd be welcome.

BenPanced
07-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Except during snooker tourney.

scarletpeaches
07-07-2010, 12:14 AM
As long as you stayed quiet. I'd order in extra chocklit meelk.

BenPanced
07-07-2010, 12:38 AM
what's he doing? what's he doing? what's he doing? why's he dressed funny? what's he doing? what's he doing? why's the balls yellow? i don't liek yellow balls. what's he doing? what's he doing? can i have a drink? i'm hot. i'm tired. what's he doing? what's he doing? why's the balls red? what's he doing? i'm tired. why aren't they showing any commercials? i'm thirsty. what's he doing? what's he doing? he's dressed funny. what's he doing? what's he doing? i'm hungry. i'm tired. i'm thirsty. why's your face red?

scarletpeaches
07-07-2010, 12:49 AM
*withdraws open invitation*

Mr Flibble
07-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Why did Ben just turn into everyone else's annoying kid?

Oh and Seun, I shop at Sainsbury's - but only cos I used to work there so got a big discount and now because I know where stuff is. Plus less chavs

BenPanced
07-07-2010, 01:58 AM
i don't hafta go pottee no moar!

scarletpeaches
07-07-2010, 03:06 AM
^^^

The reason I never want to leave the house again.

KTC
07-07-2010, 03:34 AM
If you dressed as a baboon just to make me laugh, you'd be welcome.

i'd do that. but i'd also have to tear your face from the rest of your head and crush it to smithereens, eat it up in mah belly and then poop it out. but i'd give it back when i'm done with it.

can i come?

scarletpeaches
07-07-2010, 03:35 AM
No.

Unless you leave me alone and have at my neighbours. They're fair game as far as I'm concerned for being stupid enough to live near me.

KTC
07-07-2010, 03:51 AM
No.

Unless you leave me alone and have at my neighbours. They're fair game as far as I'm concerned for being stupid enough to live near me.

um. isn't this how the whole baboon fiasco began? your neighbours?

scarletpeaches
07-07-2010, 03:52 AM
Yes, but the noisy one has moved away, sans face.

There are others though - and the baboons are hungry.

KTC
07-07-2010, 03:56 AM
Yes, but the noisy one has moved away, sans face.

There are others though - and the baboons are hungry.

aye. so they are.

kayleamay
07-07-2010, 04:44 AM
I just spent over an hour driving 20 miles. Traffic. Another reason to stay at home. I'm starting to understand road rage. Fleshpeoples suck.

Cassiopeia
07-07-2010, 05:19 AM
I really don't mind going out at all, but I have to say I do like self-checkouts. I can scan and pack faster and more efficiently.
As far as I'm concerned the greatest invention of all. I love self-checkouts. I don't have to have a pretend conversation with a checkout person and act all nice.

I'm not feeling particularly nice these days so it suits me just fine! :)

scarletpeaches
07-07-2010, 05:23 AM
I hate those things. You're expected to do the shop assistants' job for them AND pay for the privilege? No bloody chance.

kayleamay
07-07-2010, 06:33 AM
I hate those things. You're expected to do the shop assistants' job for them AND pay for the privilege? No bloody chance.

Dearest peach,

You are failing to see the beauty of self-check. To me, it's like telling everyone to get the hell out of my kitchen (which I do several times a day). If I can do something more efficiently on my own, I just want other people (like cashiers who can't make change and baggers who think it's fine to put a gallon of milk on top of the bread) to stay out of my effing way.

There are three cashiers at the grocery store I frequent that are quick, accurate and curteous. If they are working, I get in line. If they are not, I'm off to the self-check.

The only downside to self-check is that it's often full of even less competent people who can't follow the directions even though they are printed on the screen and a little voice is chirping exactly what to do throughout the entire process.

This brings us back to the fact that fleshpeoples suck.

Screw it. I'm staying home forever.

Darzian
07-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I dare all ye writers to go physically grocery shopping, between 10 am and 8pm before the weekend.

Who's up?

seun
07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Oh and Seun, I shop at Sainsbury's - but only cos I used to work there so got a big discount and now because I know where stuff is. Plus less chavs

Posho.

KTC
07-07-2010, 01:15 PM

you're not being very anti-social, Miss Peach!

I love them because I can go from home and back without talking to a single fucking person...and have all my groceries! Screw society! I can run my own shit past the magic scanning device! HA!

seun
07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I can run my own shit past the magic scanning device! HA!

For some reason, those machines always fuck up when I want to buy cat litter. Every bastard time.

robeiae
07-07-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't help thinking the score in the title is actually the opposite:

Fleshpeoples 1 - SP 0

At the very least, it's a draw...

Mr Flibble
07-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Posho.

Yob:tongue

BenPanced
07-07-2010, 07:03 PM
I fargin' HATE the self-check stations I've encountered. Every time, the machine tells me there's an extra object in the bagging area and demands I remove it. Dude. It's the bag. And there's groceries in the bag. Cope. It winds up taking just as long as if I'd gone to a real person.

(And some of us prefer "meatbag" over "fleshpeople".)

robeiae
07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
"Meatsack."

Lyra Jean
07-07-2010, 07:41 PM
As far as I'm concerned the greatest invention of all. I love self-checkouts. I don't have to have a pretend conversation with a checkout person and act all nice.

I'm not feeling particularly nice these days so it suits me just fine! :)

As a checkout person we are forced to have pretend conversations with our customers per our managers. If a customer is not talking to someone else or talking on their phone I say hello how are you doing? Sometimes if they are buying pet stuff I ask them about their pet. Otherwise I just don't say anything but try to smile.

If checkout person says hi just say hi back. If you are rude to us we talk about you in the break room. I had this one customer tell me she didn't have time to talk to cashiers. All I said was hello. I was so tempted to walk off and get a manager to ring her up. [/rant]

I don't like self check-out because I go to the store to get my stuff and watch someone else work. I don't work for the store for free. But that is just me.

spamwarrior
07-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Get them Fleshpeople away from me! *shrieks*

Cassiopeia
07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
As a checkout person we are forced to have pretend conversations with our customers per our managers. If a customer is not talking to someone else or talking on their phone I say hello how are you doing? Sometimes if they are buying pet stuff I ask them about their pet. Otherwise I just don't say anything but try to smile.

If checkout person says hi just say hi back. If you are rude to us we talk about you in the break room. I had this one customer tell me she didn't have time to talk to cashiers. All I said was hello. I was so tempted to walk off and get a manager to ring her up. [/rant]

I don't like self check-out because I go to the store to get my stuff and watch someone else work. I don't work for the store for free. But that is just me.I have been pleasant to everyone I meet in the store. I'm never rude and just say hi. I'm that customer who always asks how their day is and you know what, talking when you don't want to talk to someone, (as in the clerk being forced to be nice) comes through so fast.

Being insincere to me, is more rude than just saying hi, did you find everything you need.

So as far as I'm concerned, with self-check out, everyone wins.

Lyra Jean
07-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I have been pleasant to everyone I meet in the store. I'm never rude and just say hi. I'm that customer who always asks how their day is and you know what, talking when you don't want to talk to someone, (as in the clerk being forced to be nice) comes through so fast.

Being insincere to me, is more rude than just saying hi, did you find everything you need.

So as far as I'm concerned, with self-check out, everyone wins.

Not implying anything on your part. There were times where customers were talking to someone else in person or on the phone so I didn't say anything because I like don't want to be rude just to have a manager come around and tell chew me out for not greeting the customer.

Cassiopeia
07-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Not implying anything on your part. There were times where customers were talking to someone else in person or on the phone so I didn't say anything because I like don't want to be rude just to have a manager come around and tell chew me out for not greeting the customer.Don't you think it's pretty amazing how people think it's okay to be on the phone when they are meant to be doing something with you?

This is a huge gripe of mine. People on cell phones in the check out line making everyone wait or like the other day I was having the water tested from my pool to see if it was okay now when the clerk stops talking to me and helps a guy who walks up to us or when he answered the phone when I had already engaged his services.

What makes people think that's okay? It's just not.

I totally get the pressure you are under. People in the service industry get so much crap for so little pay or respect.

I have the answer though. Let's all write fabulous novels, get published, have the book written into a movie script and sold for millions and be rich and then we never ever have to deal with that crap again.

:D

I'm such a sweetie, I know it. *preens*

KTC
07-08-2010, 01:11 AM
i never had a problem with a self checkout. i just give them the evil eye and they perform perfectly for me.

or course, i have never purchased kitty litter at one of them.

benbradley
07-08-2010, 02:21 AM

Can't you just shop at Aldi at 3am like us normal misanthropes do?

Aldi has the lowest prices I've seen in the Atlanta area (almost as good as Sam's Club and other club warehouses where the smallest quantity available on anything is a 5-lb bag), even lower than Wall-Mart, and not coincidentally, their checkout clerks are consistently the fastest I've ever seen. Most the checkout clerks elsewhere wouldn't qualify to work at Aldi.

But the Aldis around Atlanta don't stay open late and only recently started opening on Sundays. About the only other retail store I've seen not open on Sundays is Chick-Fil-A.

benbradley
07-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Don't you think it's pretty amazing how people think it's okay to be on the phone when they are meant to be doing something with you?

This is a huge gripe of mine. People on cell phones in the check out line making everyone wait or like the other day I was having the water tested from my pool to see if it was okay now when the clerk stops talking to me and helps a guy who walks up to us or when he answered the phone when I had already engaged his services.

What makes people think that's okay? It's just not.
I forget what store it was, but I've seen signs in at least one store saying not to be on the phone when a clerk is handling your sale. It's worded a little less bluntly than I just wrote, but that's the gist.

Cassiopeia
07-08-2010, 02:30 AM
I forget what store it was, but I've seen signs in at least one store saying not to be on the phone when a clerk is handling your sale. It's worded a little less bluntly than I just wrote, but that's the gist.Sweet, now we need store policy to mandate that the employee not answer the phone when they are waiting on a customer IN the freaking store. :)

robeiae
07-08-2010, 04:35 AM
i never had a problem with a self checkout.

I did some self checkout this morning after my shower. Man, I really need to hit the gym...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-08-2010, 04:56 AM

SP: Where is Gerard?

Cray and Haggis: You are BOTH on my List. You know why. And don't attempt to answer Ms. Peaches question by posting that thoroughly DISGUSTING .gif you put in my rep points!

Cranky
07-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Sweet, now we need store policy to mandate that the employee not answer the phone when they are waiting on a customer IN the freaking store. :)

I would be so fired if I did that. Of course, not having a cell helps, lol.

Last week, I had a customer jacking his jaw in my lane, cursing and talking loud. I wanted to slap him silly. But instead, I just smiled and said, "Hi. Find everything okay?" and rung him up. I'd have liked to ring his bell for him, though. *sigh* But maybe he was having a bad day -- sure sounded like it! Not that I, a perfect stranger, needed to know the details. Ugh.

Medievalist
07-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Sometimes employees in stores have told me I should use the self-checkout, and I say, "Thanks but I can't use it," and they insist that it's easy . . .

It hard sometimes to make them understand I can't read the text on the LCD displays. The letters have no edges, and all look alike.

I have a hard time with the debit card readers as well.

benbradley
07-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Sometimes employees in stores have told me I should use the self-checkout, and I say, "Thanks but I can't use it," and they insist that it's easy . . .

It hard sometimes to make them understand I can't read the text on the LCD displays. The letters have no edges, and all look alike.

I have a hard time with the debit card readers as well.
I have "relatively" good eyesight but I sometimes have to put on my reading glasses to read those displays because the text is just a little bit too small, or the code on my produce, or the produce lookup sheet taped to the thing. But strangely I've never had a problem using the little card reader displays. Maybe they know something the self-checkout designers need to know, perhaps having to do with choice and size of font. I don't need cute-ass icons, just big letters and numbers.

Those on-screen touch-screen "number pads" suck too, for everyone, as you have to hold your finger on the screen for a quarter or half second for it to register as a "push" ... they'll never emulate a Model M on a touch-screen...:rant:

scarletpeaches
07-08-2010, 02:30 PM
SP: Where is Gerard?

Cray and Haggis: You are BOTH on my List. You know why. And don't attempt to answer Ms. Peaches question by posting that thoroughly DISGUSTING .gif you put in my rep points!He asked me to pass on a message: "Tell Jen to gimme a rest; I had to steep it in an ice bucket last time."

Shame on you, Ol' Bag. Shame on you, breaking poor Gerard.

Mr Flibble
07-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Ohhh, pot, kettle, black! How many times have you broken the Farrell? Hmm? It's a wonder he can still walk upright.

DrZoidberg
07-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Where I live (Stockholm) on-line grocery shopping tends to be cheaper than me going to the store in person. They want to encourage it with specials. I like it. Carrying sucks.

scarletpeaches
07-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Ohhh, pot, kettle, black! How many times have you broken the Farrell? Hmm? It's a wonder he can still walk upright.Duct tape and a staple gun (purchased online) and he's as good as new, so NYAR! :tongue

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-08-2010, 08:36 PM
He asked me to pass on a message: "Tell Jen to gimme a rest; I had to steep it in an ice bucket last time."

I didn't hear a peep out of him DURING, mind you.

Mr Flibble
07-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Duct tape and a staple gun (purchased online) and he's as good as new, so NYAR! :tongue

Staple gun? So that's why he keeps snagging my tights....Faster Farrell, faster!

scarletpeaches
07-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I tried blu-tac, but it was like [censored!] with a Smurf, so the staple gun it is.

Medievalist
07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Y'all are totally squicking me. Think I need to hide this thread so I don't see it . . .

scarletpeaches
07-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Y'all are totally squicking me. Think I need to hide this thread so I don't see it . . .I censored my own post. After five years, that's progress, right?

Cassiopeia
07-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Not to worry, ya'll just think you have Gerard. He's been home all along. *happy sigh* Cloning is such a great thing.

Mr Flibble
07-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Y'all are totally squicking me. Think I need to hide this thread so I don't see it . . .

Has SP ever told you the story about her, the Farrell, the jelly, the cattle prod and the duck?

I was shocked, I tell you. Shocked.

scarletpeaches
07-09-2010, 01:08 AM
I told you that in confidence, woman!

Mr Flibble
07-09-2010, 01:12 AM
What? I left out the really dirty stuff. I mean, I could tell them about the Armadillo Incident.

scarletpeaches
07-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Just as long as you keep the donkey, the bucket of custard and the electrified nipple clamps to yourself.

Mr Flibble
07-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Sure thing, darlin'. Payment in the usual manner, five pound note wrapped in bacon and left behind the Nooby Boob Jobs offices?

scarletpeaches
07-09-2010, 01:16 AM
I'll even 'lose' the photos of you with the goblin covered in jelly.

Mr Flibble
07-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Deal.

Can you keep the ones with the troll though? I could make a mint on them selling them to Big Boys in Boots.

scarletpeaches
07-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Oh, I've cobbled together a photo album and I'm already making an absolute killing on eBay. Who knew photos of you with a troll in fishnet stockings could sell so well?

My last buyer was your hubby! :D

Mr Flibble
07-09-2010, 01:39 AM
My last buyer was your hubby! :D

I am not surprised. :D