PDA

View Full Version : Can mouse or rat poison kill chipmunks?

defyalllogic
07-05-2010, 05:58 PM
or are they somehow impervious? would some other poison work best?

alleycat
07-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Rat poison works on them.

They also make "poison peanuts" for moles and gophers and chipmunks.

kdbeaar
07-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Sorry, I don't know, but you should probably post this in Story Research, about three categories down the page from this topic. That's where people go to get/give this sort of advice.

Good luck!

Chris P
07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes, it will. The active ingredient in most rat poisons is warfarin, which prevents blood clotting. Any minor scrape or cut causes the animal to bleed to death. It is very highly toxic to all mammals, including dogs and humans.

defyalllogic
07-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Yay!

Namatu
07-05-2010, 06:41 PM
But chipmunks are cute. Much cuter than squirrels.

CaoPaux
07-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Is this story research?

CACTUSWENDY
07-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Depending where you place it, it will also kill the birds that pick it up.

defyalllogic
07-05-2010, 07:53 PM
But chipmunks are cute. Much cuter than squirrels.

Outside in a park maybe they're but, but not when they live in your attic and make noise starting at 5am. and they tear up your insulation. and they live in the wall. and scurry and scamper above your bed.

then they're the furthest thing from cute.

(the chirping and other sounds they make can be found here: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Chipmunk_Sounds.aspx )

CaoPaux: This is not story research. This is homeowner research.

CACTUSWENDY: This is for indoor use. It would be placed in our attic. we have mouse feeding stations up there but the chipmunks don't fit inside or something.

CaoPaux
07-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Since this doesn't have anything to do do with writing, I'm moving it to Office party.

Soccer Mom
07-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Oops. I saw it and moved it to research. :ROFL: When Flying monkeys collide!

benbradley
07-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Outside in a park maybe they're but, but not when they live in your attic and make noise starting at 5am. and they tear up your insulation. and they live in the wall. and scurry and scamper above your bed.

then they're the furthest thing from cute.

(the chirping and other sounds they make can be found here: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Chipmunk_Sounds.aspx )

CaoPaux: This is not story research. This is homeowner research.

CACTUSWENDY: This is for indoor use. It would be placed in our attic. we have mouse feeding stations up there but the chipmunks don't fit inside or something.
I like traps for things like mice, or maybe those glue-sheet trap things. That way you catch the vermin bodies and can remove them from your house rather than them lying up there or in the walls dead, rotting and smelling, and perhaps attracting bugs and other things you don't want.

I like these mousetraps with the big paddle thing for a trigger:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1/R-100552238/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
I don't even put bait on it, put it against a wall or along a path a mouse is likely to walk, it steps on the paddle and bam.

Home Depot doesn't always have those, the local one currently has the 'traditional' traps with the tiny metal trigger. IMHO they don't work nearly as well as the big plastic paddle.

Kalyke
07-05-2010, 11:00 PM
I keep a few cats in the basement. So far, no rats or mice, or cockroaches.

Canotila
07-06-2010, 12:16 AM
The warfarin based rat poison works on any animal that eats it. In doses that high it's not just scrapes and bruises that will kill them. It causes internal bleeding, to the point where the animal dies from blood loss.

My dog ate a box of it once. He had zero symptoms from the time he ate it until we were able to find a vet that was open (about 12 hours later).

We were told he was bleeding into the pericardial sack around his heart, and that if we hadn't brought him in for treatment he would have seemed fine for about 3 days and then fallen over dead for no apparent reason.

If you do have cats or dogs, or any animals that might eat a dead chipmunk I don't recommend using it. Live traps work pretty well. As do the body gripping/crushing sort.

Elhrrah
07-06-2010, 01:20 AM
You can use it on people, too, if the dosage is high enough; not that you'd be needing that information for anything.

I hope.

defyalllogic
07-06-2010, 03:15 AM
apparently glue traps don't work on these chipmunks. we've tried them. they get out or go around them. on one occasion they got two stuck together with no sign of vermin...

we've had snap traps up there and they haven't sprung for months. the peanut butter is gone but the trap is unsprung. just like the cracker that was eaten off the glue trap...

they're really f'ing clever.

thing is i wanted to be super humane about it and got increasingly intolerant. and fact is they're going to start having babies and eventually they'll eat something vital like our electrical wiring and set out (attached to other houses) townhouse on fire.

we have no pets or small children in our home and if they're for some reason in our attic then they should have been more helpful with the chipmunk problem...

i am worried about what may come for the bodies though. but then i guess we'll need to go buy ortho home defense...

Anaquana
07-06-2010, 03:28 AM
We just got this tip today from my husband's uncle. What he does for mice (and it might work for chipmunks as well) is he'll take a length of wire poke it through a soda bottle and then attach that inside a five gallon bucket that has several inches of water in it. He slathers the soda bottle with peanut butter, then props a board against the side of the bucket.

The mice climb up the board, jump on top of the soda bottle to get the peanut butter. The bottle spins and dunks the mice into the water and they drown. Not the most humane way to get rid of them, but he says it works like a charm.

Canotila
07-06-2010, 04:46 AM
Have you talked to your neighbors to see if they are having chipmunk problems as well? It would definitely be worth making sure they don't have any indoor cats that could be affected by eating a poisoned rodent.

You could try getting a bunch of mothballs and putting them in the attic. They don't like the smell and might decide to move out on their own. It will keep bugs out too. I think hardware stores sell actual chipmunk repellent spray, you might look into that. Just fumigate the whole space up there.

GeorgeK
07-06-2010, 05:11 AM
In the attic...doesn't sound like chipmunks. Chipmunks live in the ground. They aren't generally arboreal. Have you physically seen them?

My guess is you have flying squirrels. They are noisy after a hard night's work just before they go to bed. Set up an infrared camera if you can. You might even be able to sell the film. Talk to the local zoo. They might trap them for you.

defyalllogic
07-06-2010, 05:25 AM
nope. they're chipmunks, we have seen them. bouncing around on the insulation at 6am. two even (a pair of chipmunks). and i looked up the "chirping" that wakes us up. that's definitely what they are. i think they cross from the tree to the roof and it's not too hard for them.

most pets are indoorsy. but i did talk to my neighbors and told them we'd be poisoning and that if they have pets the rodents will eat their pets food when they can, if it's out.

GeorgeK
07-06-2010, 06:15 PM
That's pretty rare behavior for chipmunks. Cool...well, cool to me, obviously not to you. A few weeks ago I was in DC and went to the Patuxent Research Refuge run by US Fish & Wildlife Service. One of the docents there mentioned that they were having trouble finding chipmunks for their exhibits, because some of their other centers are in areas with soil too sandy and there the chipmunks have nowhere to nest. You might see if they want to get them. they're in
Patuxent Research Refuge
10901 Scalet Tanager Loop
Laurel Md 20708-4027
phone (301) 497-5580
http://www.fws.gov/northeast/patuxent/

Keyan
07-08-2010, 11:44 PM
nope. they're chipmunks, we have seen them. bouncing around on the insulation at 6am. two even (a pair of chipmunks). and i looked up the "chirping" that wakes us up. that's definitely what they are. i think they cross from the tree to the roof and it's not too hard for them.

most pets are indoorsy. but i did talk to my neighbors and told them we'd be poisoning and that if they have pets the rodents will eat their pets food when they can, if it's out.

Do you have some way to exclude them from the attic? It sounds like there's some way for them to get in. Mice and rats are pastmasters at that sort of stuff, but chipmunks?

Because if they're getting in from the tree, and you poison one batch, what's to stop another batch getting in?

defyalllogic
07-08-2010, 11:54 PM
we thought we close the hole they were coming in through but they're back... I don't know anything about houses or attics.

Keyan
07-10-2010, 03:29 AM
we thought we close the hole they were coming in through but they're back... I don't know anything about houses or attics.

That might be a good place to start... can a neighbor or a local handyman help you? No point poisoning one batch if more are getting in.