*Exactly* 50 pages for a partial or...

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes agents ask for the first three chapters for a partial. Other times, they request the first 50 pages. The thing is, my first 50 pages end toward the end of a really intense scene. Do you think it would be all right to send, say, 53 or 54 pages so we can get to the end of the scene? In my opinion, the end of this scene is pretty darn important and just might provide the 'hook' to keep an agent wanting more. But if I'm going to tick someone off by not following instructions, I might just stick with 50.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
No problem.
If you get them to read all of the 50 pages then you've hooked them and 2/3 extra pages will not affect the outcome. Just don't send 70.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, like the previous poster said, if they get that far, they won't mind (and they'll surely want to know what happened!) so go as close to fifty as you can. If a scene/chapter goes to page 53, no big deal. If a chapter/scene starts on page 49 though, and it's going to be long, you might want to send up to that scene.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
You will get advice both ways. Which won't be particularly helpful. :)

Here's mine: I've heard a number of agents say that if you include a couple of extra pages to get to the end of the scene, that's okay. Just not more than a few. As waylander said, 2-3 is fine, but 20 is not.

MarloweCanning

Registered
Reaction score
First fifty pages or after that when there is a natural break... just don't stop mid sentence or mid scene and no one will mind too much.

But like said above, try not to send 70 if you can help it.

Danthia

No problem.
If you get them to read all of the 50 pages then you've hooked them and 2/3 extra pages will not affect the outcome. Just don't send 70.

This. Unless they specifically say "no more than 50 pages." Then just end at 50, wherever it ends.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
do you send the literal pages or would it be a new document with 50p worth or manuscript. because while the scene might end on page 50 or 52 or whatever, another scene usually starts right after it. unless you first chapter just happens to be about 50p...

April81

Registered
Reaction score
I say if they are still reading by page 10, they won't mind a few extra pages in the partial!