Any Norwegians out there?

Faide

Like Dirty Gentlemen
Registered
Reaction score
Jeg så svenskene hadde startet sitt eget emne, så selvfølgelig må jo Norge få et også, ikke sant? Hvis det er flere nordmenn her enn meg, da - har ikke sett noen andre ennå :p

Yeah. I guess the thread title explains itself. Lookin' for Norwegians ;)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
No, but I do try to read Old Norse once in a while. I have fun making skaldic poetry in English. I sometimes try reading Nynorsk on Wikipedia. That's as much Norwegian cred I have. *shrug*

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
Hei - i hvertfall en til, og det er meg :hi: (Nei, kan ikke la oss slå av svenskene...)

Har akkurat såvidt begynt å poste her - ser ut som om dette er et hyggelig sted. Hvor i Norge er du fra?

No, but I do try to read Old Norse once in a while.
That's more than I can do. Once upon a time in the ancient days of my school years, I had to learn Old Norse. The moment I no longer had to fear any examinations, I forgot all about it.

Torill

Registered
Reaction score
Javel. Da kan du være offisielt medlem i begge tråder går jeg ut fra... Bare vi ikke begynner å dunke hverandre i hodet med svenske/norske-vitser kommer vi til å få det helt fint! Eller diskutere landslagene i en eller annen sport. (Ingen fare med meg - jeg kan ikke en gang fortelle deg om Sverige el. Norge er/var med i verdenscupen i fotball ...)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
That's more than I can do. Once upon a time in the ancient days of my school years, I had to learn Old Norse. The moment I no longer had to fear any examinations, I forgot all about it.

I study it because I like to read poetry and I like to compare Old English with Old Norse with my understanding of Modern English and Modern German.

Torill

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good reason, yes. I like the old Norse literature, the sagas and the poems, like Voluspå and Håvamål. Strong stuff. (But I need the modern Norwegian translation - as you can see from my spelling of the titles...)

Does your knowledge of Old Norse and some Nynorsk make it possible for you to understand our Norwegian rambles here?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I have honestly no idea what the Danish and the Hanseatic League did to the North Germanic languages after 1400 AD.

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Does your knowledge of Old Norse and some Nynorsk make it possible for you to understand our Norwegian rambles here?

Weirdly, I can just about follow it, using my knowledge of English, Scottish and German.

Torill

Registered
Reaction score
Weirdly, I can just about follow it, using my knowledge of English, Scottish and German.
That's very good! Doubt I could have done anything similar... You must have a talent for languages

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Er dere fortsatt her, nordmenn, eller er moroa over?

Eudoxia

The Undead Bookworm
Registered
Reaction score
Jeg er en del norsk. Jeg har vært å lære hvordan å snakke norsk for en stund. Ikke så lett som jeg trodde det var, men det er et veldig vakkert språk. :)

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I got pretty good at reading Norwegian when I was doing my genealogy - but I'm afraid I forgot a lot of it over the years since. But I know it was fun when I could actually read through several paragraphs without having to resort to the translator! :D

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I keep trying to convince a friend of mine to join AW, and she's Norwegian. Since I'm moving to Norway soon as I graduate college, she's bought me a few books (kids books, actually) to help me start learning, but I fear Norwegian even though I'm getting better and better at picking up new foreign languages.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that Norwegian and English share a common ancestry and you'll be fine. They're cousin languages.

What's arm in Norwegian? Arm!
What's knife in Norwegian? Kniv!
What's window in Norwegian? Vindu!

Ah, our shared Germanic foundation, how can you not love it? Of course, terms like Chief Justice of the Supreme Court are a little trickier (Høyesterettsjustitiarius)...

Or are they? Wanna pick it apart? Of course you do.

Høyesterettsjustitiarius. Just as in German, speparate words that belong together to describe one thing, are written without spaces, but they're still separate words.

Thus: Høyeste (highest) retts (court, but etymologically identical to "right") justitiarius (justice, of course from Latin).

That was too much fun. I'm sure nobody read this far. That's okay :)

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes I did :D

I'm glad to have seen that in some cases it's very similar to German, because I'm pretty darn good at German. Though it'll probably bother me for the rest of my life that they don't have spaces in those uber-long words. I'll be sitting there going, "Why is this word so long? :cry:"

latourdumoine

Where nightmares continously breed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helsinkilives.wordpress.com
Just keep in mind that Norwegian and English share a common ancestry and you'll be fine. They're cousin languages.

What's arm in Norwegian? Arm!
What's knife in Norwegian? Kniv!
What's window in Norwegian? Vindu!

Ah, our shared Germanic foundation, how can you not love it? Of course, terms like Chief Justice of the Supreme Court are a little trickier (Høyesterettsjustitiarius)...

Or are they? Wanna pick it apart? Of course you do.

Høyesterettsjustitiarius. Just as in German, speparate words that belong together to describe one thing, are written without spaces, but they're still separate words.

Thus: Høyeste (highest) retts (court, but etymologically identical to "right") justitiarius (justice, of course from Latin).

That was the best way of taking away someone's fear I have ever seen. Norwegian is on my list but having moved to Finland, I'm going with Swedish for now (though if it hadn't been for that, it would have been Norwegian, always wanted to go there for a visit. And one day I really will).

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
That was the best way of taking away someone's fear I have ever seen. Norwegian is on my list but having moved to Finland, I'm going with Swedish for now (though if it hadn't been for that, it would have been Norwegian, always wanted to go there for a visit. And one day I really will).
I listen to some Swedish music, but of course don't understand a word they're saying. Karina's had me listening to Kent for awhile now. The only Norwegian band she's sent me music by is Seigmen (or is it two 'n's? I don't remember) and they amuse me, for they share the name of my favourite candy. Love those little gummy people...pity I can't buy them here in the States and have to wait for her to send more whenever I run out.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Norwegian is on my list but having moved to Finland, I'm going with Swedish for now

If you learn Swedish, you'll already be nine tenths of the way to Norwegian.

When a Norwegian and a Swede meet, what language do they speak? They speak both. The Swede will speak Swedish and the Norwegian will speak Norwegian and it won't be a problem. They're that similar.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
When a Norwegian and a Swede meet, what language do they speak? They speak both. The Swede will speak Swedish and the Norwegian will speak Norwegian and it won't be a problem. They're that similar.
True. Karina understands Kent when she's listening to them, whereas I'm singing along without knowing what I'm singing about (of course I've been doing that with Japanese music since I was ten, so nothing new there :D)

Does anyone here know anything about the program Byki, for learning languages? I downloaded it and I think I'm in love with it so far.