My journey to television modernity

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
So, earlier today we went to the mall in the next state and mom discovered about the existence of Blu-Ray and HD television (which I still find deeply creepy) and thought perhaps buying one of those fancy flatscreen television sets.

Today I learned what LCD was, so it was not a wasted time. But those things still pesky me, nowadays wherever I see on US television shows everyone seem to have LCD TV sets (even The Simpsons!) and I still don't know exactly how are they superior to my regular idiot box or why should go insane and get one. I mean, it makes me feel that technology is becoming more and more hermetic, almost a religion and Steve Jobs is pope and now one can't disarm a regular television set or a radio without the help of a priestly handyman, as if it was the revenge of the nerds.

Is this conspicious consumption or I am just becoming stubborn about changing technology? Sometimes scares me the idea that if all technology falls down, then we won't have psychical records. It's like how the Ancient Greek kept their teachings oral, so now we don't have their teachings, you get what I mean?

Flatscreen TV sets... it makes me think of Farenheit 451, it's a goddamn window, but TVs are not meant to be windows, they should be like a stove or microwave, an appliance. Not something super-dooper integrated to our homes.

I care about improving our lives through technology, but I disdain conspicious consumption. How many plastic TV sets produce? Old DVDs in the garbage bin... I bet you could fulfill freakin' Puerto Rico of old discarded VCRs, Betamax and now DVDs. Why people don't like DVDs anymore? Though I haven't tested Blu-Ray, so this is just being a blowhard.

I own over 250 DVD movies. What I am going to do with them?

Am I becoming too stubborn and suspicious of change? Am I sounding too much like The Unabomber?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
First:

Get some of those little fluorescent light bulbs, they last forever.

And a palm size digital camera,
-they almost know what you want to take pictures of.

And I'll keep spinning little silver discs in the library. :D

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I know, right?! Some folks I know have every garden gadget (baby bulldozers, seriously), every videogame thingamajiggie for their kids, new flatscreen-huge-hd TVs for every room of their house... and they say they can't afford health insurance even for the kids.

I don't get it.

I like TV fine. I like technology. But I don't need new-shiny every other year, truly. I still watch a fat 13 inch TV most of the time. And drive an old car. I'm totally uncool!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My TV is a 20 year old Panasonic and I wouldn't trade it for anything

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
I want a flat screen TV but I'm just too cheap/don't look at TV enough. I just don't think its worth it yet. I'll let them come down in price first... a lot.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
What's a television? What do you do with it?

My computer monitor is bigger than my television, and it's a flat screen. Money well spent. My kids got a 30 inch flat screen for Christmas--they use it mostly for gaming.

If I'm going to upgrade, though, it'll be to a home theatre with the biggest HDTV I can afford and a Blu-Ray. (Like the money for that is going to appear any time soon... NOT!)

The only reason one needs a blu-ray is if the TV is high resolution and so big that the normal DVDs start to lose resolution. At that level of technology, there is a difference in the picture quality. With a normal TV, a normal DVD is fine.

But HDTV and Blu-ray is so last week. Haven't you heard of 3D TV yet? :D

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have heard vaguely about it... that's the one you need glasses to watch, right?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Flatscreen TV sets...

I own over 250 DVD movies. What I am going to do with them?

I have a flat screen tv. It's a 32 inch tube tv. Weights a ton. It's also over 10 years old.

DVDs will never go away. I don't think Blu-Ray is taking off quite the way they thought it would. Heck, I still have a DVD/VHS player.

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a tv but do own dozens of Blu-Ray DVDs that I play on the computer.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
True story.

My hubby was in the V N war and when he came home, like 1971, we had to go out and buy a cassette player. I thought he was nuts. I mean, 8 track was here to stay. ;) Now look where we are. :evil

I too have a ton of VHS movies....sigh. What can I say? So all you young ones that think the CD's are the 'hep' thing now....brace yourself, there will come along something else to replace them. (Might already be here now for all I know.) :tongue

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
So, these 756 new CD's I just bought are already out of style?......Sigh.

Can make you a good deal. ;)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
We got a 42" plasma TV as a present a few months back -- super quality picture, great sound. It makes everything soooo watchable. It's like going to the movies, except without the background chatter and the sticky floor.

-Derek