How to Write a "Nudge" Letter

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Hello, I hope this is the right place for this...

An agent has had my partial for what seems like forever; in her reply e-mail (to me, after I sent her the partial) she said she had a 10 week lead time. Well that has since passed and gone and still haven't heard anything. I read in Bewares and Background Checks that this particular agent usually always sends out polite rejection letters to the work she receives.

So I would like to write a "Nudge" letter. I have no idea what the etiquette on something like this is, or how to word it, as to not sound hounding, annoyed or amateur.
Can anyone giving me some examples or tips on how to write a very polite, respectful "Nudge".

Thanks.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible to call? It seems a bit less aggressive than an email, but if that's not possible, I'd say something like,

Dear xyz,

I'm writing in regards to the partial sent on the xyz 2010, to confirm receipt.
Perhaps you could contact me on either (telephone number) or via email?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

regards

AlishaS

It's not great, but it's the best I can think of right now...

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do not call. That is a huge no-no.

I'd wait at least 2-3 weeks past any posted/stated response time. And then, if you are going to nudge, keep it simple and brief. Something like:

On XXXXXX XX, 2010, I sent you the first X chapters of my YA manuscript, TITLE. I am writing to check the status of your consideration of my manuscript.

For your reference, the query and your request email are below.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Do not call. That is a huge no-no...
...or show up at the agent's office, or home, to check on the status of your manuscript in person.

Instead, you could be creative and hire one of those planes with trailing advertisement banners to buzz the agent when he or she is outdoors to ask about the status of your work in great big letters.

Last edited:

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Thanks for the quick replies, I know it's a huge no-no to call, and or show up at the office, home or gym of the agent lol.
I have also waited way longer then the suggested time frame the agent gave, and the customary extra wait before a nudge should even be considered.

also to add another question, what happens if since the intial e-mail of the partial, I have since, been working on a new beginning, and what not, should I mention this in my nudge, the what I now have, is very different from the version I sent her?

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I won't even call my agent.

Just sent a nice, short, polite letter (best if as a reply to the previous correspondence). Something like:

"Dear Agent,

I'm just writing to confirm whether you were still interested in my project, as it had been a while since I last heard from you. If you are still reviewing it, however, no rush.

Thanks"

And, Alisha--I wouldn't. It could make it sound like you were unprepared when you originally submitted. Just let the agent respond, and save the new beginning for another agent, or for revisions with that agent.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
also to add another question, what happens if since the intial e-mail of the partial, I have since, been working on a new beginning, and what not, should I mention this in my nudge, the what I now have, is very different from the version I sent her?

There's a couple schools of thought on this, and I can't say anyone can say what is the better approach in all situations.

If the changes are substantial - ie, entirely different first chapter, different characters/character motivations, etc. Then read on. Otherwise, if you have merely tweaked it, leave it alone.

But, if you have done a major rewrite, especially if you did so because of another agent's comments, then you have a decision to make.

Some people say leave it alone - this agent asked for more based on the original opening, and just leave it alone.

Others would say mention the rewrite if the agent responds that they haven't yet read it.

The thing is, offering up a rewrite is tough call - it can make it look like you queried prematurely, you could submit a rewrite the agent likes less, etc.

So, you have to decide if the new beginning is so substantially different and better than the last that you should take the risk.

If you do decide to take the risk, you can do it one of two ways:

- one, send the nudge and if the agent responds with a nice/friendly email that they haven't read yet, then respond with the new version - ie, Since you have not yet began, please find attached a revised version.

OR

- two, in your nudge state something like - since submitting my partial, I have made some substantial revisions. On the off chance you have not yet begun reading, I have attached the revised version.

I guess I'd go with gut instinct, on which approach to take.

good luck.

~suki

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I think you should do as suki suggests regarding the sending of a "generic" nudge. As for the revisions you have done, this is tough and it's a time when you MUST try to be as objective as you can. Unquestionably, agents don't like receiving revised chapters. Generally speaking it implies that when the writer completed his work he considered it complete, when in fact even the writer now knows that it wasn't. In addition, and at best, the agent now has to find your old manuscript and substitute (time, time, time). Now, if the agent read your original work she would have to re-read it -- that's not good under any circumstances. If she liked the original version but didn't have time to contact you yet, it now becomes a crap shoot. On the other hand, if she hasn't read yur manuscript yet she's "forced"-or not-to find your work and substitute. This is all a lot of work for people who have an enormous amount of things to do, and little time and help to et same accomplished.

Personally, in a case like yours, I'd only submit a revision if in my heart and soul I felt certain that the work would be rejected if I let it stand as originally sent. If I felt it has a chance of acceptance as is, I'd prefer to deal with the revision after knowing that the agent was interested. Of course you should substitute the revisions in other submissions from here on in.

But as suki said, this is always a tough call.

Good luck.