PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the "Corn" Factor

rosewood
07-05-2010, 01:16 AM
I just finished writing my first novel a few weeks ago. Yeah! And now I am doing some editing. I re-read a section near the end and got the feeling that it was rather corny. I've taken out a few lines of dialogue that particularly caused a reflex in the back of my throat and it is better, but I was wondering if anyone else has swerved into the “corn” fields? If you have, how have you avoided it in the future or corrected it?

kappapi99
07-05-2010, 01:27 AM
I threw some corn in on purpose...sometimes it is appropriate.

Where it's not, well, I read my own stuff about a hundred times...plus my better half has "corn-dar" and can detect it miles away.

leahzero
07-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Distance and time make it much easier to spot corniness in your writing. Also consider enlisting the help of a third party with adequate Corn-Dar (TM).

Corn-Dar is a registered trademark of kappapi99 and is used with lulz.

Calla Lily
07-05-2010, 03:15 AM
Distance and time make it much easier to spot corniness in your writing. Also consider enlisting the help of a third party with adequate Corn-Dar (TM).

Corn-Dar is a registered trademark of kappapi99 and is used with lulz.

This is what works for me--although in my case it's melodrama rather than corn.

BTW, Leah, your user title gives me an earworm every time I read it. Augh.

rosewood
07-05-2010, 08:41 PM
First of all callalily61 I love your avatar, which is a picture of my future husband! :)

ETA: The Lily's av used to be David Tennant looking boyish and charming and utterly nom-able.

Anyway, good idea everyone that I should let someone else read my maniscript who has good "Corn-dar" because I think I sometimes lack this. There are movies where my mother and I will be watching and I'll get all emotional and she'll turn to me and say, "boy, that was corny!" She might be a good person to ask to watch out for the corn.

windyrdg
07-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Think Beta-readers. Find some people you trust who will give you an honest opinion and ship them a manuscript.

DustyBooks
07-06-2010, 10:24 PM
It was funny reading what rosewood said after callalily changed her avatar :roll:

To develop your Corn-dar, you could watch some movies you know are going to be corny, laugh at them, and try to avoid writing anything that resembles those parts.

Of course, it's hard to avoid the occasional corny line of dialogue...part of it depends on the context and delivery.

I was going to try to make a joke about corn on the cob, but now I forget the joke and just want to eat some!