PDA

View Full Version : Writers needed

Fairy Tales n Dreams
07-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Hello all. Glad to be here. I am owner of a website that sales kids books. www.fairytalesanddreams.com (http://www.fairytalesanddreams.com) Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

alleycat
07-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Welcome.

CACTUSWENDY
07-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. Good luck.

Fairy Tales n Dreams
07-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Fairy Tales n Dreams
07-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Popcorn? The more butter the better!!
Thanks for the tips.

Nickie
07-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Welcome to the Cooler!

Nickie

Fairy Tales n Dreams
07-04-2010, 06:46 PM
www.fairytalesanddreams.com (http://www.fairytalesanddreams.com) is open for submissions and looking for all kinds of childrens books. There is no page minimum or maximum or age limit. We are taking illustrated books and books for preteens and everythng in between. If you have anything or know someone, please contact at fairytalesanddreams@live.com
Thanks

Sydewinder
07-04-2010, 07:15 PM
I think it's hard enough selling e-books to adults. How are you going to get a parent to buy an e-book for kids? especially a picture book? When I look at the big publishers who do both e-book and print books, the one thing I notice is that none of their picture books are available in electronic versions. I think that's because there's just no real revenue stream for that format.

Of course I could be wrong, I guess only time will tell. I would be very curious about how many of your free books have been downloaded.

Fairy Tales n Dreams
07-04-2010, 11:05 PM
This venture has went throug a lot of discussion. I thought I would give it try. It's a lot more fun to work with than adult books.

The site has only been open a couple of weeks and it's not really out there yet but I'm hoping. It has had a few hits on both the free and the ones for sale. Fingers crossed!

new writer 56
07-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Hello

I noticed that most of the books are written by one author. Is Karen Lewis an illustrator as well? Also do you ever plan on making paper or hard back copies of your books? Kids like books they can hold in their hands. Create space might be something to consider at least for paper back. Since hard back books are more expensive to make. The books look nice,but offering paper back and electronic versions might prove to be more profitable. Also if you ever have a need for an illustrator then please check the link in my signature.

scope
07-05-2010, 04:10 AM
www.fairytalesanddreams.com (http://www.fairytalesanddreams.com) is open for submissions and looking for all kinds of childrens books. There is no page minimum or maximum or age limit. We are taking illustrated books and books for preteens and everythng in between. If you have anything or know someone, please contact at fairytalesanddreams@live.com
Thanks

Are you interested in children's nonfiction books?

In general, what is your author (non-illustrator) payment profile re advance and royalties?

Please tell us how you are marketing your books.

Thanks.

Finchlark
07-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I'd just like to say that Christie has been a delight to work with, prompt and helpful at all times. My book has gone up within days, and she designed a great front cover.

Catadmin
07-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Create space might be something to consider at least for paper back.

ACK. Not to pull this thread off tangent, but CreateSpace has issues. I have a friend who publishes through that (and I've contributed to some of those anthos) and when I order books to sell, their quality is on-again, off-again.

I do NOT recommend using CreateSpace to print books. Lulu maybe (though I haven't seen their books), but not CreateSpace. Not if you want a product with consistent standards that you wouldn't be embarrassed to sell.

Susie
07-10-2010, 07:09 PM
:welcome: Fairy Tales. I'm so happy to have two acceptances with you. Hope all is well and it's a super place here. Many thanks.

Fallen
07-11-2010, 02:11 AM
I try and aim for the adult market as a writer but...

Just had a nose through and Tina the Tiny Cat caught my daughter's eye. I've asked for a copy just to give it a try. As a mum the concept of kids' ebooks are new to me too. But I'm open to new experiences...

Finchlark
07-20-2010, 11:17 PM
True to their word, I have two books now up as ebooks on Fairy Tales and Dreams.

Susie
07-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Congrats Finchlark. What are their titles? I'll check them out. I have two also, "Happy Halloween" 'n "Quiet, Please," which is coming out soon. It says so :D

Finchlark
07-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey Susie, that's great news. Squirrel Wars and Crooked Rooks are now up. Look forward to seeing yours.

Susie
07-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Look forward to seein' yours too, Finchlark and many thanks. Are you going to send them any other titles? Just wondered. I unfortunately don't have anymore to send, at least right now ...

Finchlark
07-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi Susie, I have two short stories that are being illustrated at the moment, they are now under contract too

redflame
07-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Has anyone had stories rejected by this company? Just wondered...

Catadmin
07-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I find myself wondering too. Especially after seeing some of the cover art.

redflame
07-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Catadmin, this company does not have an illustrator on board. They use images but not ones specially created for the published books...

Uncarved
07-24-2010, 01:23 AM
And is the grammar alright? With a few of these posts, ahem, I needed to ask. Especially the first post of "sales kids books"

Edited to add, does the site want a proofreader??

"Tina is a tiny cat who doesn't like to get wet. One day she is needing to go to town but can't get accross the water. Several of her friend help her, will anyne succeed and get her to the other side without her getting wet?"

thats got to put off sales....

redflame
07-24-2010, 01:36 AM
No one is perfect...That's why some of us, namely me, need editors. We have the imagination but lack 'technical' expertise......

ps: Is the quote from the Fairytales website? If so,...Hmmm

veinglory
07-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Which is supposed to be provided by the publisher before the book is released.

Also I clicked on Squirrel Wars and got sent to Crooked Rooks, that can't be helping sales.

Edited: Oh I see, books don't get their own page.

redflame
07-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Oh yes, I totally agree...Of course editing is expected before publishing...But in terms of posts on this board, yes there are a few errors, including all of mine, but who is counting...

ps: I checked the 'Tina the Cat' quote on the Fairytale site. Well, well...Hmmm...All I can say is perhaps an Editor is needed there....

Finchlark
07-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Actually, they did the cover for Crooked Rooks, and I am pleased with it.

redflame
07-24-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm stepping away from this thread...I wish all involved good luck!
:flag:

ps: excuse my grammatical errors....hahaha

Susie
07-24-2010, 09:59 PM
hey, all and congrats Finch on your two new stories. Way2go. Calls for :Cake:s!

Monkey
07-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Was there ever any response concerning payment and marketing? Maybe some of you who have been accepted can answer those questions?

I'm going to go check B,R,&BC, and if there's not already a thread, I'll start one, because my questions really go beyond the scope of this subsection...

Fairy Tales n Dreams
07-27-2010, 11:59 PM
I just want to say thanks everyone for the positive comments.

And for the others, I'm sorry you aren't happy with anything. The company is new and just starting off. I'll try to answer some of those questions. Yes, alot of the titles are from one author because when we opened she was willing to jump on board and join. Instead of leaving the site empty and sitting there, her books were added while in the process of working on more (by other writers).

Sorry you don't like the covers, we are not all DaVinci.

Payment: writers receive a commission, paid monthly through paypal, on books sold. As of right now print books are on hold until we have more of a selection. Yes, some books have not been accepted.

No each book doesn't have it's own page. Sorry about that, that is the way the site being used is set up. We are looking into other options.

Marketing is usually done by the writer. We do advertise on facebook, there has been press releases, yahoo groups, things like that.

Like I said, sorry can't please you all. As for the editing, sometimes I mess up, hey I'm human. The author didn't send in a blurb and I was just adding something short to them so you would know what they were about. The book is edited, sent back to the author and then the author has to approve. But thanks for the offer to edit.

Why must people be so hateful?

Unimportant
07-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Why must people be so hateful?Wha--?

If a publisher says "this manuscript is not right for us" it's a form rejection. If the publisher adds "because the characters were two-dimensional, the dialogue was stilted, and there were too many factual errors regarding the setting" the publisher is doing the author a favour by providing personal feedback.

If an author says "this publisher is not right for me" it's a generic comment. If the author adds "because the excerpts on the website are riddled with grammar and punctuation errors" the author is doing the publisher a favour by providing personal feedback.

SouthernFriedJulie
07-28-2010, 09:07 AM
I just want to say thanks everyone for the positive comments.

And for the others, I'm sorry you aren't happy with anything. The company is new and just starting off. I'll try to answer some of those questions. Yes, alot of the titles are from one author because when we opened she was willing to jump on board and join. Instead of leaving the site empty and sitting there, her books were added while in the process of working on more (by other writers).
Accusing people of 'not being happy with anything' makes you look bad. It is not a good way to instill confidence from writers.

That was nice of your writer, but jumping the gun to just fill a site makes it look clunky, unappetizing.

Uncalled for. This is the type of response that makes new e-publishers a joke. Act professional and answer politely if you want to be taken seriously.

Payment: writers receive a commission, paid monthly through paypal, on books sold. As of right now print books are on hold until we have more of a selection. Yes, some books have not been accepted.

No each book doesn't have it's own page. Sorry about that, that is the way the site being used is set up. We are looking into other options.
Grab a better webmaster/designer. If you can't do it yourself, pay for a job well done.

Marketing is usually done by the writer. We do advertise on facebook, there has been press releases, yahoo groups, things like that.
Marketing should be a priority for the publisher. Writers write. Forcing them to write AND market will result in slow sales. Some marketing is fine. Should be expected, but if you're serious about your endeavor--don't expect your writers to market.

Like I said, sorry can't please you all. As for the editing, sometimes I mess up, hey I'm human. The author didn't send in a blurb and I was just adding something short to them so you would know what they were about. The book is edited, sent back to the author and then the author has to approve. But thanks for the offer to edit.
We're all human and we all mess up. I know I did BIG time a while back concerning something with my press. I bitched some, but did damage control. You are not doing a good job of portraying yourself as someone to submit to here. The passive-aggressive B.S. isn't going to bring writers to you, re: Sorry I can't please you all.

It's a business. Some people will like the site, some won't. The writers here know what they are talking about and if they point out mistakes- FIX them, don't bash the messenger in the head.

You obviously haven't been in the bewares threads. If you think this is hateful, when they have only tried to help and/or find out more information...wow...are you in for a shock if you visit that area.

shaldna
07-30-2010, 02:15 PM
And for the others, I'm sorry you aren't happy with anything.The company is new and just starting off.

And that's not an excuse for poor production quality. Remember that you are selling a product.

Like it or not, covers sell books. Basic marketing. Think about it.

What about an advance? What's your percentage? What marketing are you going to do? Why paypal? Do you not have a business account? If not why not? How long is your contract for?

So, minimal and free. What are you going to do to get your writers attention? What about trade ads? Newspaper articles? In store advertising? What promotion are you going to commit to as a publisher?

As for the editing, sometimes I mess up, hey I'm human.

Not good enough.

The author didn't send in a blurb and I was just adding something short to them so you would know what they were about.

That's not an excuse.

Look, you seem nice enough, and well meaning, but you have to bear in mind that this is a very competative industry, and poor production, no marketing, and spelling and grammar mistakes on the website is not generating confidence in your ability as a publisher.

I am also particularly concerned that you can't buy or even find the books listed anywhere else except on your website. WHY can't I buy the books from amazon? As a small 'publisher' you have to make it easy for people for find and buy your books, and unless you know what you are looking for, your site is hard to find, and doesn't come up in the standard searches. So if I can't find your books on the net, then I can't buy them.

And 'just starting up' is not an excuse.

Do your books have ISBN's? Or even copyright protection? What measures are you taking to ensure that your authors are covered in legal terms?

Do you have a legal background? Do you have a lawyer who deals with your contracts and any possible copyright or financial issues? Do you have an accountant? If not then who does your audits?

Why must people be so unprofessional? Think about it.

redflame
08-02-2010, 11:49 PM
We are not unkind. We are writers looking out for our best interests. We are also asking questions other people would like to ask or rather should be asking.

This is not personal, not at all...

ps: correcting the errors on your website will help you and the writers in your hands....I wish you luck!

regdog
10-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Fairy Tales and Dreams now appears to be operating as a part of Solstice Publishing. It's books are available through the Solstice Publishing (http://www.solsticepublishing.com/)

CaoPaux
10-02-2010, 07:52 PM
So much for their denial of being an imprint.... Anyone able to get into their website? I'm getting "cannot find server" messages.

regdog
10-02-2010, 08:07 PM
No, it appears their website is gone and on the Solstice homepage there is link for FairyTales and Dreams

Catadmin
10-02-2010, 08:09 PM
It could be that they tried to stand on their own, found out they couldn't, and went back to the Mothership...

Susie
10-02-2010, 09:00 PM
That could be true. Motherships are so comforting. :)

jilly61
12-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Was there ever any response concerning payment and marketing?

Despite sending two emails, both unanswered, I still have no clue what's happened to my royalties. Anyone else having trouble with payment?

regdog
12-06-2010, 06:06 PM
I received one royalty payment and haven't received any payments or statements since. It's possible I haven't had anymore sales. If that's the case, I'd still like to know that.

jilly61
12-06-2010, 06:17 PM
It's possible I haven't had anymore sales. If that's the case, I'd still like to know that.

I'm with you on this regdog. A monthly statement would be nice.

veinglory
12-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Did you contract specify anything about royalty statements? Quarterly would seem like a reasonable minimum.

jilly61
12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
The contract said statements would be issued monthly, followed a day later by payment via paypal. I've received neither.

Undercover
12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
How long has it been Jilly?

This worries me too, I signed on with two stories of mine...think it's been 6 weeks since I signed on with the first one and I haven't gotten further with it.

jilly61
12-06-2010, 07:54 PM
I checked when the payments were due and was told it was the end of the month. The first month I wasn't expecting anything but I know someone bought one of my stories at the beginning of last month. I should have had some, admittedly probably not much, money at the end of last month. I've never had a statement.

I hope you have better luck than me.

Sheryl Nantus
12-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Isn't there any mention of when royalties are paid in the contracts?

jilly61
12-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Just that they're monthly. I checked by email at what stage in the month.

regdog
12-06-2010, 10:03 PM
I got my one statement on the 29th of August and haven't heard anything from them since.

veinglory
12-06-2010, 10:15 PM
If you are meant to get monthly statements I would suggest rather firmly asking for them. Maybe this is a responsibility that got lost in the shuffle when they we absorbed by Solstice?

regdog
12-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Good call

Susie
12-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I haven't received any royalty statements since then either. I assumed it was because there were no sales. Now I'm not sure ...

jilly61
12-06-2010, 11:20 PM
I've emailed yet again. I'll let you know what, if anything, happens.

regdog
12-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Sent an e-mail too. Also, according to the site they are not accepting submissions for
children's at this time.

Catadmin
12-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Multiple people not receiving statements or responses is a huge red flag to me. I would do more than wait for an email. Start checking into Solstice and make sure they're still active. Then see what you can dig up on the person who started Fairy Tails N Dreams. For instance, the last activity of this user on this site was October 6th, 2010.

Not necessarily an indicator of badness if they're too busy to post, but combined with other issues? It could mean something not good.

elindsen
12-07-2010, 01:54 AM
I would email the general inquiry. PM me if you want the owner's email. I think it's on the site, but not sure...

regdog
12-07-2010, 03:33 PM
I heard back from Melissa. She said I haven't had any sales since my first one.

jilly61
12-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Same here and statements are only sent out after sales.

elindsen
12-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Which is kind of misleading that you're expecting statements monthly, but get none.

regdog
12-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Melissa posted in the Solstice Thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5581177#post5581177) and said she would send out monthly statements

Catadmin
12-08-2010, 12:31 AM
That's good. At least then you'll see what's going on.

Has anyone heard any news as to how well sales as a whole are going for the company?

elindsen
12-08-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure about FTAD, but Solstice has been selling fair numbers. One I contacted said over 1,000 copies. Now I have no clue if that's good for ebook, but it seems good to a newbie :)

Solstice Publishing
12-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Hello,
I wasn't aware that there was a problem until seeing things on this board. I have closed submissions on children's books until after the new year so I can focus on the issues with the books that are here now. The submissions will re-open after the new year.

I have hired an illustrator and I plan to personally go through each and every book. I have also hired a studio to do audio books for the children's books for those authors that want it. Audio is not in the current contract with FTAD. A new contract with Solstice will have to be signed if the author chooses to have their book in audio.

I think that it is would be a great combination to have the print book in hand and the audio playing while the child reads.

I thank you for bringing these issues to my attention as I was never involved in FTAD I didn't know these things. Now that it is a part of Solstice I have many ideas for these books.

If you are an author of FTAD and have any questions for me please don't hesitate to email me at solsticepublishing@live.com

Thanks
Melissa

Catadmin
12-09-2010, 01:21 AM
So is the person who started FTAD no longer a part of the company or the process?

gambit924
12-09-2010, 01:26 AM
I know what you mean. In all reality I can't spell worth a crap, That's why I'll probably always need an editor, so they can fix what I muck up....D'oh!

gambit924
12-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Lol I didn't know that there were three pages to this post. A lot of discussion I guess.

redflame
12-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Melissa,

When, next year, are you accepting submissions for children stories? And are you, the person who began this thread?

Thanks, loads!

RF
ps: Good to hear you now have an illustrator etc..

Solstice Publishing
12-09-2010, 03:06 AM
Melissa,

When, next year, are you accepting submissions for children stories? And are you, the person who began this thread?

Thanks, loads!

RF
ps: Good to hear you now have an illustrator etc..

Hello,
No I didn't start this thread. I'm not sure who started this thread. I just happen to see it and thought I would jump in since Solstice now owns FTAD. I assume one of the forum members did or Christie did. I don't know though.

I'm not sure the exact time I will open submissions back up. I want to focus first on the books that are there. I want to get the illustrations in the books and promote the ones that are there before I bring anymore on. I'm guessing maybe Feb. submissions will open back up for the Childrens books.

We released our first children's audio book today.

Solstice Publishing
12-09-2010, 03:09 AM
So is the person who started FTAD no longer a part of the company or the process?

Christie still works on both the children's books and does formatting and uploading for Solstice, but the person who actually started FTAD is not involved at all. Solstice bought the company and merged the two together.

Solstice Publishing
12-09-2010, 03:24 AM
If anyone has any questions you are more than welcome to email me. solsticepublishing@live.com As it's a full time job running Solstice I don't always have time to check this forum. I have been trying to check it and keep up and try to answer questions, but as I said I simply don't have time to check it all the time.