Book Launch Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbarabarnett.com
My publicist at the publisher has asked me to start thinking about my launch party (book's release date is 9/1). Publisher is in Toronto; I"m in Chicago, so the launch will be here. My first book, so I'm trying to figure the whole launch thing out. Restaurant? Private residence? Elsewhere? Because the book is a companion to a television series (a sort of lit-crit guide), it will be a season premiere viewing/launch combined.

I'd also like to do something virtual, but I'll look in that thread for info. Thanks

Barbara
BarbaraBarnett.com
Author of Chasing Zebras (ECW Press, Sept.2010)

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
A tv premiere/book launch event sounds fun! Do you have a restaurant or bar nearby with a big TV?

A launch party is a chance to celebrate with your friends, and perhaps with exisiting fan groups of the TV show, if you cultivate relationships there. I would think the answer would be in asking yourself what kind of party your friends enjoy.

Also, if you want to have books available for sale, how can that be fit in? A local bookseller may be willing to come sell books at your party (that's called an "offsite"). Or, if you want to have the party at a bookstore, would they be willing to bring a TV in?

In my personal experience, people sometimes feel more committed to attending a party at private home than a public event. Whether or not your party is in a public place, do invite each guest personally, not with an announcement or mass emailing.

Last edited:

sasmom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbarabarnett.com
Thanks. Very helpful. I think we're tending (sorry for the pun) toward a bar with a big-screen TV. It's all very new. But my publisher has been great to work with so far (and my agent has lots of ideas --all the time!) I think the idea will be to have fun, share the premiere and celebrate the book for what it is--a celebration of the show. I'd like fans (who are either local or available to come in), friends, etc. to share the moment.

I guess we have lots to do!

A tv premiere/book launch event sounds fun! Do you have a restaurant or bar nearby with a big TV?

A launch party is a chance to celebrate with your friends, and perhaps with exisiting fan groups of the TV show, if you cultivate relationships there. I would think the answer would be in asking yourself what kind of party your friends enjoy.

Also, if you want to have books available for sale, how can that be fit in? A local bookseller may be willing to come sell books at your party (that's called an "offsite"). Or, if you want to have the party at a bookstore, would they be willing to bring a TV in?

In my personal experience, people sometimes feel more committed to attending a party at private home than a public event. Whether or not your party is in a public place, do invite each guest personally, not with an announcement or mass emailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.