PDA

View Full Version : return email verification

GeorgeK
07-03-2010, 05:42 PM
That's probably not the right term, but when sending an email query, is it acceptable to configure it with a verification of receipt of the email? Many of the agents and publishers seem to specify a time limit and that no news is bad news. However, I've had plenty of emails that were supposedly sent to me by friends which either arrived ridiculously late or not at all, as well as the reverse. Snail mail has been no different or if anything worse. Would this configuration on an email be considered rude? get it killed by filters? or would it be ok?

KTC
07-03-2010, 05:44 PM
i wouldn't do it.

alleycat
07-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't either. I work on multi-million dollar construction projects on a daily basis; no one ever requests a read receipt.

Just be careful if your subject line contains anything that could be consider sexual by a spam filter.

Medievalist
07-03-2010, 06:31 PM
That's probably not the right term, but when sending an email query, is it acceptable to configure it with a verification of receipt of the email? Many of the agents and publishers seem to specify a time limit and that no news is bad news. However, I've had plenty of emails that were supposedly sent to me by friends which either arrived ridiculously late or not at all, as well as the reverse. Snail mail has been no different or if anything worse. Would this configuration on an email be considered rude? get it killed by filters? or would it be ok?

It would be rude. Also the mail server at the recipient's ISP has to be configured to support it and most aren't because of the potential for excessive use by spammers.

GeorgeK
07-03-2010, 06:59 PM
It sounds like a unanimous, "no".
Thanks.

It's a moot point really right now because the dinosaur I write on isn't internet capable, and only has a 3 1/2 drive as an option to transfer data. My internet computer uses thumb drives and doesn't have a 3 1/2.

My wife will figure out a way, but she's on vacation right now.