Registered
Reaction score
*shrugs with gallic indifference and picks teeth with flick knife*

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a huge feature in today's WSJ about the prevalence of doping in this sport.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is almost no doping now.

Random tests in season and out of season have prevailed. If you get caught, you're gone, period - and it's been that way for half a decade. Even if you are leading Le Tour in yellow, and a test comes up positive, you're gone. That 'zero tolerance' type of policy has dramatically cleaned the sport up - as well as many other sports. Any professional cyclist risks their careers if they get caught, and the tests are totally random, anytime, anywhere, any country.
This article talked about some work-arounds with doping that make it harder to detect, including the athletes getting transfusions of their own blood (collected earlier) to boost their red blood cell count. You should read it. It was interesting. Which is rare for WSJ.

Bike shorts don't interest me much, but you go ahead and enjoy.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the sophistication with which cheating has been carried out is astonishing. And cyclists certainly aren't the only ones masking; swimmers, track-and-field athletes, baseball players, you name it. Heck, Major League Baseball didn't even have a steroid policy until about 2002 (due in large part, no doubt, to sport's strongest players' union).

Cheating in cycling gets more press in large part because there's such a big effort to clean up the sport. In 2007, Michael Rasmussen was kicked off his team and therefore out of the Tour while wearing the maillot jaune. He was pinged because, in the lead-up to the race, he wasn't where his required itinerary said he would be - he was seen training in Italy when he'd said he would be in Mexico. Which meant he couldn't be contacted for testing. And, on top of being kicked off the team while leading, he was subsequently banned from cycling for two years - not for testing positive, but for lying about his whereabouts. He appealed, and the suspension was upheld.

There are no more excuses in professional cycling.

The Tour and the one-day classics are fascinating to watch, I think - having Phil Liggett and Brent Sherwin as commentators is a great help; Liggett is my favorite commentator in any sport. He's sanguine, knowledgeable, and he knows all the riders and their styles. He provides great insight into what might otherwise look like a bunch of guys on bikes, and with the insight, he lets the viewer in on the excitement.

Over here, the nightly broadcast also includes a segment called Taste le Tour, where chef Gabriel Gâté (sp?) prepares a specialty dish from the region the Tour passes through that day, and a sommelier matches it with a local wine (or beer if they're somewhere like Belgium). It's great entertainment, and I'm sorry it only lasts three weeks.

Last edited:

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
OK stop making me feel bad for enjoying it. And I don't mean the spandex.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i'm wearing spandex right now.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i hear it's a oneball sport.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Viva LaFrance! :D Have fun. You devil, you :D

Geez Susie, did you have to encourage him?

r_lance_sp.jpg

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
:ROFL: The Andorran mountain climb is always a riot. I make my first million, I am so going there to run with the bikers.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Susie! I might be a scamp, but I'm no devil!

besides, who needs encouragement when there's cyclists like Tyler Farrar?

farrar(2).jpg

ElsaM

lurker extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
One of the Australians has already pulled out with a broken collar bone. But only after finishing the stage, of course.

Regarding the cheating, I want to hear more about the mechanical doping. Will they really catch someone with a motor on their bike this year???

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Motors in bikes. I think this is going to be the tinfoil-hat issue of the year!

Wow. The carnage so far is horrific. Even before the Tour started, our commentators discussed at length how the Netherlands is the best country in the world for riding a bicycle, but the worst for hosting a bicycle race. The flatness is great for the casual rider, but there are all sorts of pylons and whatnot to keep cars out, or to keep them slow. These, they said, would play havoc with the peloton -- easy enough to avoid for a lone rider doddling along, but not for a hundred thoroughbreds whizzing along at 50-60kph.

It'll be interesting to see how the favorites manage the next three weeks with all the cuts, scrapes and bruises from the first two days. Right now, it's looking like the war of attrition might start earlier than expected.

ElsaM

lurker extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Fortunately the favourites are normally able to take things easy(ish) until the mountains, so hopefully they'll have a chance to recover a bit.

I take it back ... they're describing stage 3 as "frightening", according to the official website. Cobblestone joy!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RE: cobblestones -- the Paris-Roubaix one-day classic is run over evil, evil cobblestones; the winner's trophy is a mounted cobblestone! It's crazy to put that sort of thing in the beginning of a three-week race, but this is the Tour de France, and the organisers will do whatever they want; it's part of what makes it one of the great sporting events going.

After watching the Paris-Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders one-day classics this year, Fabian "Spartacus" Cancellara is my favorite non-Aussie cyclist. In both races, his decisive breakaways - utterly leaving his opponents standing still - are astonishing viewing. Unbelievable stuff.