Pansexual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe. Bisexual and pansexual are so close that you can just switch to saying pansexual. :) Not all bisexual people are pansexual, but I think most are.

You definitely sound like you're pansexual, from what you've said about your past dating history.

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
So, trying to understand this...what's the different between bisexual and pansexual?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I think its that we don't say "I feel like being with a woman tonight" We don't care who we meet that night.

Am I reading it right?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm doing this research for the new WIP, so I'd apprecaite any comments

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. My understanding of the difference was that pansexual implicitly includes those who don't conform to the M-F gender binary, like trans, gender queer, etc. individuals, whereas bisexual does not necessarily include the rest of the spectrum.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I saw the link for it, but anything with the word Binary in it is going to hurt my head tonight. I want to understand it better before I put it in the proposal.

I'll look it up tomorrow, thanks

friendlyhobo

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. My understanding of the difference was that pansexual implicitly includes those who don't conform to the M-F gender binary, like trans, gender queer, etc. individuals, whereas bisexual does not necessarily include the rest of the spectrum.

This is also how I understood it, but I don't claim to be an expert on the subject (or any subject).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

That's pretty much how I identify.

I usually just say bisexual so as not to confuse people, and I haven't really had any opportunities to, ahem, explore. But I can be attracted to pretty much anyone.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I think for those outside the queer community, the term pansexual is weird and conjures up notions of fetishes and the like. I usually just tell people I'm sexual and am attracted to people regardless of where they are on the gender spectrum.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking myself pansexual because I don't necessarily look for femeninity in women or masculinity in men. I like both sides of both sexes. Plus, I've been in a relationship with a TG

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Pansexual generally means you're aware of genderqueer, bi-gender, androgynous, and genderless people and will date them. It also means you'll date intersex people who don't identify as male or female (although most do.)

It shouldn't really have anything to do with transsexual people, as we fit within the gender binary, but some people see us as a third gender (which is offensive to most of us). So it's easier to date pansexual people because we don't have to worry about whether they're a transphobe or something.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
It does have to do with transgender people because we don't fit into the gender binary, as much as we like to yell about how we're just as much of a woman as a GG (and vice versa for trans guys). This is where sex and gender both matter, because a trans girl who has not gotten her surgery is still a woman, but has the organs of a male sex. Sex is part of attraction, so a trans girl is not quite the same as a cis girl as far as the gender spectrum goes. Yes, we're women, but we're a different kind of woman.

There are guys (and girls) who will date cis women but not trans women (not that I had to tell you that). If we were exactly the same as far as sexual attraction goes, the trans part wouldn't be an issue--but it is. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
It does have to do with transgender people because we don't fit into the gender binary, as much as we like to yell about how we're just as much of a woman as a GG (and vice versa for trans guys). This is where sex and gender both matter, because a trans girl who has not gotten her surgery is still a woman, but has the organs of a male sex. Sex is part of attraction, so a trans girl is not quite the same as a cis girl as far as the gender spectrum goes. Yes, we're women, but we're a different kind of woman.

There are guys (and girls) who will date cis women but not trans women (not that I had to tell you that). If we were exactly the same as far as sexual attraction goes, the trans part wouldn't be an issue--but it is. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Fair enough. I usually think of the gender binary in the social and mental sense, rather than the physical sense, but what you say makes sense.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I see the prefix 'pan' and now I'm just really glad it doesn't mean that Wayne's sexually attracted to houseplants, die-cast cars, Bavarian cream donuts, and hair that's clinging to the shower wall.

'Pan' means 'all', man. Don't freak me out.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Would another way be to say that this is a form of being attracted to anyone, as long as they are human? As it sounds like it makes no difference what someone is, if you are attracted, you are attracted. :Hug2:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Would another way be to say that this is a form of being attracted to anyone, as long as they are human? As it sounds like it makes no difference what someone is, if you are attracted, you are attracted. :Hug2:
Now that I'm all for. And I'll assume it means inclusive of only people of consenting age and mental capacity.

Kuwi and his donuts. Sheesh. Other than that, love and lust away!

askcb

If in doubt, mumble
Registered
Reaction score
I'm neither bi nor pansexual but I was watching the Real L-Word the other night and a couple was talking about this--the way they described it that it is a human attraction (like Cactuswendy said), regardless of masculinity, femininity, gender, or any other factor we use to identify ourselves or others. Just a simple matter of attraction makes attraction.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know -- I fit the definition of pansexual for the most part, but I prefer calling myself bisexual, particularly since gender and physical sex can play a role in my attractions towards people. However, I'm attracted to transgender people and people who don't fit in the gender binary or in "traditional" gender roles, as well.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
This is why I came to AW. You guys rock. It would take me a week to find this much information. Thank you

I draw the line at food with sex. Bring the gun and leave the cannolis, thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.