Tingle (short story, long post)

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
There was a call for erotica submissions a few weeks ago for a startup called Tingle. I've been talking to the owner about the user agreement - right now it states that while they aren't asking for exclusive rights, but if you sell the same story elsewhere, you owe Tingle 15% of whatever you make - not "if Tingle helps you sell it" but if you sell it elsewhere, period. She seems very reasonable (and she's a fast, courteous responder) and not out to screw anyone, just new to publishing. That clause is still in the agreement as of today, so I haven't submitted anything else besides one trial story (called "Night Swimming," if you care) and I thought I wouldn't submit more until the agreement is fixed.

But with that said - the concept is cool. 69 cents buys a short story which is sent to your smart phone in daily 300 word chunks. You can press "next" to get the next chunk immediately instead of waiting. Stories are all between 2K and 8K words. Author royalty is 40%.

Which brings me to my point. I've been trying to find a home for two similar length stories for two months, but all the erotica places that say in their guidelines that they accept short fiction have responded to my query saying they don't take short fiction outside of anthology/house authors/invitation.* /snarl (*Edit to add: Epubs, not magazines. I've checked out magazines, my stories aren't a good fit with the ones I've checked out.)

I've been holding off on submitting more stories to Tingle because of the bad clause, but I'm not finding anywhere else that will take short fiction. Now... finally... my question: Is this possibly a case of "better to publish somewhere than to never publish at all"? I mean, her 15% clause would currently get her 15% of nothing :p Or should I hold out and hope an appropriately themed anthology comes up?

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'd try it with one story and see how much in royalties the story makes.

If they're going to make most of their money off of actual sales, then it might be worth it to go for it.

But if they end up making most of their money off of the 15%, then it's a scam.

You also might want to check out the publisher in Bewares and Backgrounds Check if you haven't already done so. See what Uncle Jim thinks.

KathleenD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
I debated starting the thread in BBC, since there isn't one - but I decided that ultimately my question wasn't really about the publisher. I mean, I KNOW they're new with a contract that I don't love. But having spoken to the owner, I also know that the 15% clause is in there because she's been advised that big publishers will go through the site looking for new authors to discover, and scoop them up.

Right. Like I said, new, not out to screw someone. I've seen sillier things from new publishers right here on AW :)

My post is because *I* am also new, and am trying to decide if it's worth sitting on my short fiction and waiting, or just getting it out there. I don't have any context for making fiction career decisions.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I'm not entirely sure what she's worried about, tbh. Most big publishers don't deal in short stories, since anthologies don't sell well unless there's at least one big name attached. The market for reprints isn't huge, though if you become wonderfully famous there could be demand for collections :) What kind of rights is she claiming the 15% for? Is it just e, or print as well? What about audio? That's the easiest one to sell reprints on, I've found, since epubs and podcasts rarely need each other's rights.

From the other direction, what are you getting from Tingle that would make the clause worth it? Advance or royalties? Gross or net? What kind of marketing are they planning to do? Which app stores are they going to be available in? (I ask as a Google Android owner!)

I know it's a bit of a pariah for its own contracts, but Ravenous Romance takes short stories outside of anthologies. Most of the other epresses do only seem to do anthologies.

The only erotica magazine I know of that takes short stories is Scarlet, which like many print magazines is very particular about word counts. I'm curious about others, though. Anything turn up worth sharing?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'd still post in B&BC. The contract and the publisher are intertwined, and the reason, to be honest, seems a bit odd. I'd think that big publishers are far too busy wading through the slush they get sent to voluntarily go out and wade through stuff they don't get sent.

You've spoken to the owner on the phone, and she sounds like a nice lady who's a clueless newbie. That doesn't mean she is. Do some more checking.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Is it m/f erotica? Dreamspinner Press publishes short stories (nap-size dreams, I think they call them), but they're only m/m.

KathleenD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
Yeah, it's M/F. I'm pretty awful at M/M. And Ravenous was one of the outfits that told me they're not taking stand alone shorts right now, even though their guidelines said they do and they are currently selling a bunch.

Got the letter from them just yesterday, which is why I'm sitting on the horns of the bad contract dilemma. RR was the last place I queried - with them out, I feel like having at least the chance at a sale is better than my manuscripts keeping my hard drive warm. They're just short stories, after all. But that way lies madness and possibly PublishAmerica. I'm really looking for advice and second opinions :p

And yeah, the reason for the bad clause doesn't make any sense if you're experienced or just a regular here.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Huh. RR must have filled all its slots or something. Tha'ts really annoying; I had something I wanted to submit myself. They have a new one every day, which means they mustbe absolutely heaving with them right now to turn down submissions!

I'd suggest Scarlet, then, depending on the wordcount. UK national magazine, with pretty decent readership, and if you're is euros or $ the pyment's probably in your favour right now. Oysters and Chocolate is pretty tasty, though only $10 a pop. Duotrop also suggests Justus Roux. tbh, for $10 a go I'd be on the anthology hunt, but I guess if there's nothing suitable out there magazines aren't a bad way to go.

Last edited: