PDA

View Full Version : Mmmm...summer foods!

Cassiopeia
07-02-2010, 02:40 AM
mm....ice cold watermelon and grilled chicken.

It's HOT. Just a couple weeks ago we were having rain and cold temperatures of 57 during the day and 47 at night. Now it's 95 degrees out there. Normally that wouldn't feel so hot but man it went from cold and rainy to hot and dry really fast.

My poor lawn is fried.

So...anyway, what's your favorite summer food and your favorite activity.

My pools almost ready for swimming and I can't wait!

K1P1
07-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Drinking coffee outdoors in the morning--love that cool mountain air.

Right now, I have a box of fresh vegetables from a friend's farm. Time to go bake some eggplant with tomatoes and mozzarella.

Ahhhh!

Cassiopeia
07-02-2010, 02:52 AM
Drinking coffee outdoors in the morning--love that cool mountain air.

Right now, I have a box of fresh vegetables from a friend's farm. Time to go bake some eggplant with tomatoes and mozzarella.

Ahhhh!
You...you do realize you just invited me for dinner, right? ;)

Sounds yummy!

KellyAssauer
07-02-2010, 02:54 AM
Picked 15-minutes-ago sweet corn is heaven.

but I have to say the just ripe raspberries I gathered today are none to shabby. =)

rhymegirl
07-02-2010, 03:01 AM
Tonight I had some rice pilaf and baked chicken. It was yummy!

kaitiepaige17
07-02-2010, 03:07 AM
About to eat a wonderful rib-eye steak and salad :D

Cassiopeia
07-02-2010, 03:08 AM
Tonight I had some rice pilaf and baked chicken. It was yummy!I need to learn to make rice pilaf. Yummy.

I was supposed to make a rice pasta salad but I got so caught up in cleaning the pool, I forgot to run and get stuff for it.

heyjude
07-02-2010, 03:49 AM
Mmm... lentil salad, raspberries, nectarines...

Tofu pad thai does not count as a summer food, right?

backslashbaby
07-02-2010, 03:58 AM
I want some sweet corn so badly I could scream :) I'll have to drive around the 'neighborhood' and see who is selling it. Yum!

spamwarrior
07-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Lemonade!

Cassiopeia
07-02-2010, 05:48 AM
Bacon, grilled chicken, colby-jack cheese, lettuce, mayo and fresh tomatoes from the vine, sandwiches. YUMMMY

Wayne K
07-02-2010, 09:35 PM
What was the question again?

kayleamay
07-02-2010, 09:37 PM
It's raining in buckets here right now and the sky is the color of coal dust. I just found leftover pizza in the fridge. I consider that a serious score.

Shadow_Ferret
07-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Summer I love because I can grill anything. I don't really have any summer foods, per se, I just grill it all outdoors.

Even frozen pizza.

It's HOT. Just a couple weeks ago we were having rain and cold temperatures of 57 during the day and 47 at night. Now it's 95 degrees out there. Normally that wouldn't feel so hot but man it went from cold and rainy to hot and dry really fast.

Yes, we were cold THIS week. Today it's seems hot in comparison and it's only 73. Its supposed to get hotter. I hope!

heyjude
07-03-2010, 03:41 AM
Oh the grill. Grilled peaches! Grilled potatoes and zucchini and squash... Mmmm...

Cassiopeia
07-03-2010, 04:44 AM
Oh the grill. Grilled peaches! Grilled potatoes and zucchini and squash... Mmmm...
Really? Grilled peaches? I'd like to know how you grill any of these but I'm very interested in how you do that.

mario_c
07-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Peaches are wonderful au naturel, or in yogurt, or grilled (pan fried on a clean griddle works). Yes...
Good time of year to re-calibrate to the fresh fruit diet, though I do tend to get into those street fair snacks...a hot sausage/pulled pork monstrosity of a hoagie, that sort of thing.

heyjude
07-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Really? Grilled peaches? I'd like to know how you grill any of these but I'm very interested in how you do that.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/grilled-peaches/Detail.aspx

Here's one recipe. My folks make it with a horseradish dressing that is out of this world. They're good naked, too. :D

Lyxdeslic
07-03-2010, 03:48 PM
You people are giving me the munchies--except for the mention of horseradish.

Cheesecake, watermelon--with sea salt, of course--and anything flavorful grilled on the barbie.

Lyx

Cassiopeia
07-03-2010, 10:40 PM
today's it's chef salads, cherries, grapes, watermelon
and
for my son and his friends tacos and one is vegetarian so we have beans and rices and tortillas with veggies galore.

I love me some summer time!

Haggis
07-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Grilled peaches, yes, indeed. The Food Channel has a recipe for grilled peach ice cream. I think it's one of Alton Brown's. Good stuff.

For me, though, Summer means home made lemon sherbet.

soapdish
07-03-2010, 10:58 PM
For me, the best summertime food is fair food. Specifically elephant ears. YUM

Cassiopeia
07-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Grilled peaches, yes, indeed. The Food Channel has a recipe for grilled peach ice cream. I think it's one of Alton Brown's. Good stuff.

For me, though, Summer means home made lemon sherbet.You know, darlin', I think that's the best doggone avatar you've had yet. Love it!

So how about a recipe for the home made lemon sherbet?

For me, the best summertime food is fair food. Specifically elephant ears. YUM
elephant ear? dare I ask?

Okay I have to ask. What the heck is that? :D

spamwarrior
07-04-2010, 03:23 AM
Oh yeah, peaches are awesome!

soapdish
07-04-2010, 03:33 AM

Okay I have to ask. What the heck is that? :DThat may be a regional name, it's fried dough. :D Like...Indian fry bread, funnel cake...you can put powdered sugar on it, cinnamon or jam.

It's just rolled out big and flat like an elephant ear.

Haggis
07-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Oh, yeah. Elephant ears are great stuff.

Cassiopeia
07-04-2010, 04:06 AM
I grew up in South Dakota and I was told they are called scones. But then I went to England had real ones.

Yeah, Indian fry bread is very yummy. Especially when made from my homemade bread dough.

Lyxdeslic
07-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Okay I have to ask. What the heck is that? :DPerhaps it's a regional thing, but we Northwesterners are lucky to have 'em (http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/elephant-ears-2/Detail.aspx).

Fried dough smothered in cinnamon in the shape of an elephant ear? What's not to love?

Lyx

Devil Ledbetter
07-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Perhaps it's a regional thing, but we Northwesterners are lucky to have 'em (http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/elephant-ears-2/Detail.aspx).

Fried dough smothered in cinnamon in the shape of an elephant ear? What's not to love?

LyxI don't think they're regional because they have them at all the fairs in Michigan.

My summer favorites are fresh squeezed lemonade or limeade, tabouli, peaches and raspberries.

Shadow_Ferret
07-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Last night we had grilled hot dogs and corn-on-the-cob. Delish!

I don't think they're regional because they have them at all the fairs in Michigan.

They're all over Wisconsin, too.

I grew up in South Dakota and I was told they are called scones. But then I went to England had real ones.
Scones? No, those are folded pastry things. More like muffins or biscuits.

This is an elephant ear. A giant slab of dough with powdered sugar on it.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/shadow_ferret/blog-elephant-ears3.jpg

backslashbaby
07-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Elephant ears or Funnel Cakes, yes :) We have them at our fairs here in NC, too.

Which reminds me that there's a ton of Greek food that reminds me of summer starting up, because we have the most amazing Greek Festivals here in my town in late Spring and Summer. We have Greek restaurants everywhere, but these are when the women pull out their special pastry recipes! Yum!!!

kayleamay
07-05-2010, 04:30 AM
We just had chicken kabobs. I'll never pass up meat on a stick.

Re: the elephant ears and funnel cakes...Have you ever tried them with berries on top? NOM!

Cassiopeia
07-05-2010, 05:33 AM
I used left over grilled chicken. I cut it up into chunks. Sauteed onions, red and green bell peppers in a bit of butter, added the chicken and frozen carrots and broccoli and let it all simmer a bit. Then I diluted some chutney, added about a tsp of medium curry and poured it over the meat and veggies. I let that simmer till done.

Cooked brown short grain rice and wow. It was an amazing supper.

Lavern08
07-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Steamed Crabs with a Side of Sweet, White Corn-on-the-Cob (dripping with real Butta) :hooray:

shakeysix
07-28-2010, 06:40 PM
that first salsa straight from the garden--doesn't matter what you put it on--well, not elephant ears, but most anything else--s6

Bubastes
07-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Sweet corn! I'm eating a corn salad right now. The corn is so fresh that I don't even need to cook it. Sooo good.

Jersey Chick
07-28-2010, 08:34 PM
One of the best things about living in NJ is Jersey tomatoes! Nothing like 'em in the entire world. I usually grow my own (but not this summer, sadly :(), slice them, slice fresh mozzerella, chop fresh basil (anyone need some? I grew my own and it's taking over. I've already got three pots full on my deck and some rooting in a cup on the windowsill), olive oil, salt and pepper. NOM!

Or even just cut in half and sprinkled with a little salt. NOM!

We also have farmer's markets every ten feet or so - fresh Jersey grown produce all summer long. :D

Cella
07-28-2010, 08:40 PM
cheetos!

backslashbaby
07-28-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm drooling over the steamed cabs and corn on the cob image. Mmmmmm.

My totally organic tomatoes are soooo good this year. The dude painting my house has been stealing all my ripe ones of one variety, though. He comes over early in the morning to plunder in 'secret'!

shakeysix
07-28-2010, 10:37 PM
for lunch i had a fresh corn tortilla sprinkled with lime juice. i loaded it with sliced cherry tomatoes, jack cheese, sweet peppers, onions and a little cilantro, clapped another tortilla on top and grilled it till the cheese melted. we call it a quesadilla. add fresh apricots and a glass of iced tea. i'll have the same for supper--s6

Alpha Echo
07-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Fresh steamed crab - I'm talking right out of the ocean, caught ourselves! Or fish - also caught by us! Grilled, fried, baked...whatever as long as it's fresh! Grilled is my favorite though.

My favorite activity would be sitting outside with a book and a glass of wine.

I also this summer realized deep sea fishing is a lot of fun.

Alpha Echo
07-28-2010, 11:05 PM
for lunch i had a fresh corn tortilla sprinkled with lime juice. i loaded it with sliced cherry tomatoes, jack cheese, sweet peppers, onions and a little cilantro, clapped another tortilla on top and grilled it till the cheese melted. we call it a quesadilla. add fresh apricots and a glass of iced tea. i'll have the same for supper--s6

That sound delicious!

soapdish
07-30-2010, 07:49 AM
That does sound good. But ever since we started talking about elephant ears, I can't get them out of my head. I was contemplating tortillas today too...but I was thinking of brushing them with oil and sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on them. I REALLY need to go to a fair soon.

Lavern08
08-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Yesterday, I had the most amazing Watermelon for lunch.

That is all.