Calling All Cat Owners

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
My 8 mo. old kitten has something stuck up her nose. Vet says the only way to get it out is an operation going into the nasal cavity through her mouth! Good Lord. Has anyone experienced this?

Her symptoms are thick green snot from one nostril. Vet said that's what tipped her off that it's an obstruction and not an upper/lower respiratory infection. Vet doesn't do the operation, I'd have to go somewhere else. Of course this is a holiday weekend...

Cat is on antibiotics which will bring temporary relief to the discharge and congestion in the one nostril.

In a little over two weeks I'll be leaving this home and cat in MD for my temporay home in WI. I'll be there for the next couple months or longer, so I have to do this sooner rather than later. I'm thinking of hitting up my two adult children who are living at home (one is paying rent, other is full time student so rent is waived) for a least a hundred bucks each to "help save the kitty," kitty. Vet said the operation would cost somewhere between "a couple of hundred dollars to ..ahem, possibly several hundred dollars." So you get the idea. It wouldn't be cheap.

Argh... that's what I get for rescuing the darn thing. No good deed...

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh poor kitty! I'm sorry this happened... to both of you. :( It's never happened to any of mine, but I sure can relate to that feeling of "back to the vet". :Hug2: I'd get it done as quickly as possible. Get it over with and lessen the possibility of even more problems.

There are organizations that can help with vet bills, I can dig them up in a bit if you like.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, it sounds like it needs to be done, otherwise the cat might get a wider infection, even blood-poisoning.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Oh the poor little thing! But yea on you for rescuing it!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
You might try sending a PM to our very own Doctor Fenika to ask her advice concerning your cat's condition. Tell her Silver King suggested her services. :)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, that's a shame on all sides and hope she isn't in pain, Elaine. Much good luck with everything.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had one of my kitties with that problem. I would tell the adult kids time to pay up to help the littlest family member. Good luck to all of you.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions and commiserations. I was hoping this was not an uncommon problem and someone would have dealt with it before. SWest I had no idea such a condition exisited! I suppose it could be a polyp...

Heyjude, thanks for the links. I'm thinking if it's income based I won't qualify. On paper it looks like we're fairly well off...on paper...lol.

I've been trying to figure out what could have gotten up her nose, the opening is so tiny! Monday I filled her soft toy mouse with dried catnip. She was on her back and got the mouse open and the catnip came out and covered her face. I remember her sneezing and now I'm thinking that was the start of it all.

Wouldn't you think if it was a small bit of organic matter that the antibiotics would take care of the infection the the matter would eventually disolve?

The vet is away until Tuesday. I'll keep giving the cat the antibioticas and will talk to the vet on Tues. I'll get her referal to a vet who does the operation and we'll take it from there.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Ow! I've never had a kitten with that problem, but when I was very little, I, um...

Let's just say crayons sometimes end up in the strangest places. :tongue

Anyhow, positive vibes for your kitty coming at you, Elaine. Unfortunately, that's the best I can do.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! How in the world did your cat get something stuck up her nose? Poor thing. :(

Sounds like the surgery is necessary. You've helped your kids out enough over the years, I'm sure; ask them for help now.

Hang in there.

:)Smish

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
A follow up

Antibiotics have kicked in and the kitten is feeling much better. Nasal discharge is less and no longer thick and nasty looking...well it's still nasty but an improvement.

It's funny, this teenage kitten couldn't be bothered with affection when she felt well. All she wanted was someone to feed her and open the door. Now she's all in your face, purry purry, and wants to sleep in your lap. LOL.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:)

If she's having trouble eating because she cannot smell the food's freshness (which cats do depend on almost exclusively), warm some canned food a bit in the microwave to wake up the odors.

The antibiotics can cause digestive problems, so sprinkle a bit of non-dairy probiotic powder on her meals to replace her "good" gut bacteria.

Glad she's feeling a bit better!