PDA

View Full Version : YA Urban Fantasy--TOUGH Beta Wanted

Sleigh88
07-02-2010, 12:44 AM
I've got two wonderful betas, but I'd like to widen my critique circle a little. The more the merrier, right?

I've got two projects in the works, both of which fall under that YA fantasy umbrella.

If you're interested, feel free to PM me or reply to this thread. I do want to exchange sample chapters initially to see if we're a good match, and I have a good idea of what I'm looking for from a beta, and the way I read other people's manuscripts:

I have a degree in English. I'm very critical (in a good way!), and I'd like someone who's willing to rip me apart, as well.

When I beta, I point out story arcs, believability, continuity, etc. BUT. But I always offer possible solutions or suggestions, coupled with why exactly those things threw me off.

I'm a stickler for grammar and style.

Oh, I sound like a huge prick. . .I'm actually pretty nice. But, anyhoo, that's the kind of beta I am, and what I'd like in return.

valeriec80
07-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Don't know if you've already gotten some responses... I wonder if you could maybe post a little on what the books are about. YA fantasy is a big sandbox.

I beta in much the same way you do. (I also have a degree in English, and I teach high school, so I knows my grammar, :P)

However, I'm no good critiquing something I don't actually enjoy reading, so a little more info before asking for sample chapters might be nice.

BlueDimity
07-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Hmmm, If you want I could read your work and give you feedback from a teen's point of view, because you write YA. I have nothing to send at the moment and I am not published yet but if you want another set of eyes, I'm more than happy to take a look.

Jazzy Waltz
07-22-2010, 12:06 AM
I'd be happy to do a beta swap-- my book is urban fantasy with some romance in it. I'll PM you.