PDA

View Full Version : IGN's top 25 animated films of all time.

LOG
07-01-2010, 11:36 AM
It's nice I suppose (http://movies.ign.com/articles/650/650717p1.html)...but Princess Mononoke isn't in here.
W.T.H.

fredXgeorge
07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
How is Peter Pan not there? All the Disney ones (apart from maybe Sleeping Beauty) should be the top 5 :D

Diana Hignutt
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
How is Batman: Mask of the Phantasm not higher on that list?

maestrowork
07-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Where is Beavis and Butthead?

dpaterso
07-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Eh, some good choices. And some I didn't watch, and don't really care to. Just for a split-second there, before recognition kicked in, I thought the #1 was gonna be Howl's Moving Castle!

-Derek

maestrowork
07-01-2010, 05:19 PM
How is Peter Pan not there? All the Disney ones (apart from maybe Sleeping Beauty) should be the top 5 :D

And where is Pinocchio? I can't believe they ranked Little Mermaid over Toy Story 3 and the Lion King!

robeiae
07-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Meh. I think The Lion King should be at the top. And while Wall-E had its moments, it's hardly an eternal classic.

maxmordon
07-01-2010, 07:47 PM
How is Batman: Mask of the Phantasm not higher on that list?

Agreed; also I think How To Train Your Dragon shouldn't be there; I mean, it's a nice fun film, but better than Fantasia? WTF?

kaitiepaige17
07-01-2010, 07:57 PM
How the hell was The Lion King only 17? And Toy Story 2 beat out the Little Mermaid? Don't think so.... OH AND WHERE IS ALADDIN????!!!!

maestrowork
07-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Agreed; also I think How To Train Your Dragon shouldn't be there; I mean, it's a nice fun film, but better than Fantasia? WTF?

This.

Chris P
07-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I've not seen all of those, but of those I've seen I agree they're all ace films, except South Park. I deserve to live 3 hours longer for having to sit through that horrid thing 1.5 times.

and...HOLY CRAP! THERE'S AN ANIMATED METROPOLIS? *must not obsess...must not obsess...*

robeiae
07-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Alas, Shrek also failed to make the cut...

Chris P
07-01-2010, 08:10 PM
I almost expected Heavy Metal to make it as a cult classic honorable mention. And I liked Titan A.E. and Balto. I wasn't expecting them to make it, though.

Kathleen42
07-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Okay they get points for remembering Iron Giant but no Beauty and the Beast? No Secret of NIMH? Ghost in the Shell but no Grave of the Fireflies?

Note to self: look at the numbers on the list to make sure you really have reached number one.

Kathleen42
07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
and...HOLY CRAP! THERE'S AN ANIMATED METROPOLIS? *must not obsess...must not obsess...*

It's a neat flick, if memory recalls. I haven't seen it in a very long time.

Also, now that I think about it, where the heck is Triplets of Belleville or Persepolis?

kuwisdelu
07-01-2010, 08:26 PM
A bit much Disney for my tastes.

And no End of Evangelion, which to me is one of the best films ever made, period.

maestrowork
07-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Okay they get points for remembering Iron Giant but no Beauty and the Beast? No Secret of NIMH? Ghost in the Shell but no Grave of the Fireflies?

Um, B&B is #1.

Concur with SotN, however.

And I think the first Shrek should be up there, somewhere between Toy Story and South Park. :)

It's funny how South Park, etc made the cut (even ahead of FANTASIA?) but some of the classics got dropped. On the other hand, it is really difficult to just pick 25 -- there are so many great animations.

kuwisdelu
07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
It's funny how South Park, etc made the cut (even ahead of FANTASIA?) but some of the classics got dropped. On the other hand, it is really difficult to just pick 25 -- there are so many great animations.

It would be a lot easier if they split it into multiple genres. But too many people think of animation as a genre itself instead of just another medium, I suppose...

maestrowork
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
It would be a lot easier if they split it into multiple genres. But too many people think of animation as a genre itself instead of just another medium, I suppose...

I agree. I mean AFI has to choose 100, and they're limiting this to 25? There are so many genres and so many great films... same with animation.

robeiae
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Pokemon the First Movie...

maestrowork
07-01-2010, 08:35 PM
They should have lumped all three Toy Storys together and save two extra spots. Heck, just give the whole Pixar's body of work the #2 spot or something and save room for the other stuff...

robeiae
07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
And then there's Fritz the Cat...

Shadow_Ferret
07-01-2010, 08:51 PM
What? Beauty and the Beast is the number one animated movie of all time? Who did that list? Disney fangirls?

No Wizards?

No Frank Frazetta's Fire and Ice?

No Marvel or DC characters other than the brief nod at #25 to Batman.

I agree they needed to do a Top 100, not 25.

Kweei
07-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Wow, a lot of movies I love didn't even make this list. And there are some odd choices here.

I do have a problem with having computer animation up against classic animation. I love both, but sometimes I feel like it's comparing apples and oranges.

Kathleen42
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Um, B&B is #1.

Concur with SotN, however.

Ooops. I, um, forgot to look at the corresponding numbers. My excuse is that.. okay, I have no excuse. Yay Beauty & The Beast.

Aside from being a gorgeous film in its own right, SoN is interesting because it was the first movie Bluth did after the Disney revolt.

Wavy_Blue
07-01-2010, 09:27 PM
No way South Park ranks among the classics of animation. Also, Up deserves to be higher than it is, and Wall-E should not be so high.

Also, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves should have been number one. It freaking created the genre.

maestrowork
07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Also, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves should have been number one. It freaking created the genre.

I'd agree if they rank by significance. But as far as the actual movie is concerned, Snow White is very outdated, and doesn't have the same impact today as it did 80 years ago. Movies like Beauty and the Beast (which is 20 years old!) or Toy Story stands the test of time.

maxmordon
07-01-2010, 09:50 PM
They should have lumped all three Toy Storys together and save two extra spots. Heck, just give the whole Pixar's body of work the #2 spot or something and save room for the other stuff...

Indeed, seems that they simply were fulling some blanks to call it the day. Also, someone mentioned the injustice against End of Evangelion, which I deeply concur and I must add, why no Prince of Egypt or Anastasia?

LOG
07-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Maybe they should make a list of the 25 greatest animation studios...

willietheshakes
07-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Totoro is WAY too low on this list...

BenPanced
07-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I've come to the conclusion that many of these "best of all time" lists are for crap.

Wavy_Blue
07-01-2010, 11:05 PM
I've come to the conclusion that many of these "best of all time" lists are for crap.

Especially the ones on IGN.

Bug
07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I am sad that Coraline is not on there, and a bit baffled that South Park is.

Ken
07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
... an obvious plug for Toy Story 3. Refuse to even give the list a look as such.

dgiharris
07-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Pokemon the First Movie...

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that...

I am sad that Coraline is not on there, and a bit baffled that South Park is.

My first thought regarding South Park was WTF? But then, if you take a step back, South Park has carved out its own niche and deserves to be in there, like as the 25th film.

I seriously cannot f-ing believe that The Secret of Nimh did not make that list. Seriously, that is in the top 10 IMO, easy, hands down.

I also think Ghost in the Shell should be ranked a lot higher.

Disney is timeless so I can buy most of their rankings, even the #1 spot. I mean, to have a work of art stand the test of time does say something.

Overall, the list seems okay. Other than forgetting TSoN. Seriously, what in the hell were they smoking.

That's like coming up with a list of greatest boxing movies and forgeting Rocky. WTF.

The Secret of Nimh is pure magic.

Mel...

Bug
07-02-2010, 01:00 AM
My first thought regarding South Park was WTF? But then, if you take a step back, South Park has carved out its own niche and deserves to be in there, like as the 25th film.

I agree that South Park has carved it's own niche, but I still don't really understand why it's on the list. It may just be nitpicking on my part. I'm an animation student, and I would think that if something is going to be on a list of the best animated films, it would have to be well animated, as well as have a good story. South Park is intentionally badly animated, therefore I find it a bit weird to see it on there.

Still, I am crabby about such things. :D

Shadow_Ferret
07-02-2010, 01:00 AM
What about all the Scooby-Do movies? Huh?

Did Clutch Cargo make a movie? :D

That's like coming up with a list of greatest boxing movies and forgeting Rocky. WTF.

Doh! *goes off to revise his list of Top 25 Boxing movies.*

maestrowork
07-02-2010, 01:08 AM
I think they picked South Park because it was groundbreaking. It was the first R-rated, foulmouthed cartoon that made it mainstream. Plus it's a true Broadway musical. There hadn't been anything like that before or after.

But if we're going by the art of animation, then it wouldn't have made any list at all.

And where are the stop-motion animations (except Nightmare Before Xmas, of course). Where is Wallace and Grommit?

Wavy_Blue
07-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Yes, missing the Curse of the Were-Rabbit is a grand oversight on their part.

dgiharris
07-02-2010, 02:29 AM
...And where are the stop-motion animations...

I love stop motion animation.

Robot Chicken anyone :D

adultswim so you've been warned...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0w5oGVwJ_Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpkyiVFBok&feature=channel

Mel...

Katrina S. Forest
07-02-2010, 03:46 AM
I agree that South Park has carved it's own niche, but I still don't really understand why it's on the list. It may just be nitpicking on my part. I'm an animation student, and I would think that if something is going to be on a list of the best animated films, it would have to be well animated, as well as have a good story. South Park is intentionally badly animated, therefore I find it a bit weird to see it on there.

Still, I am crabby about such things. :D

I'm not an animation student, and I couldn't agree with you more. To me, it doesn't matter how clever or funny the writing in South Park might've been. (I saw the first five minutes and was unimpressed.) All the other films on that list had their own hilarious moments (Incredibles' "Your baby has special needs" pops to mind right away), and managed to get a whole lot of other emotions out of me besides. I cried at many of these films, I really cared about these characters. Plus, they were beautifully drawn. I'm sorry, South Park, but imo you don't hold a candle to that kind of quality no matter how funny you are.

I too wish Mononoke would've made the cut, it is my favorite of Miyazaki's films, but at least he was represented. Don Bluth has done some great films, but none of them made the list.

robeiae
07-02-2010, 04:30 AM
I think they picked South Park because it was groundbreaking. It was the first R-rated, foulmouthed cartoon that made it mainstream. Plus it's a true Broadway musical. There hadn't been anything like that before or after.Fritz the Cat was X-rated. And it was pretty big in 1972. Even with all the theaters refusing to show it. Grossed over 100 million, worldwide. IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068612/business) has it at 190 million. But we forget very easily.

LOG
07-08-2010, 11:00 AM
They also have a top 25 anime characters (http://movies.ign.com/articles/103/1036651p1.html) :P

I thought this list was better, missing a lot, but still had many who deserve to be on it.

But seriously, Pikachu? Pikachu!? He's not a character, he's a pet with amusing tendencies, namely getting kidnapped every other episodes.

Vash, meh, I'dve preferred someone else.

I'd have dropped those two to toss in either another Miyazaki character, Utena, or a Hellsing character.

Zoombie
07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Fritz the Cat was X-rated. And it was pretty big in 1972. Even with all the theaters refusing to show it. Grossed over 100 million, worldwide. IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068612/business) has it at 190 million. But we forget very easily.

That's because it was shit.

I hated it, and I love Ralph Bakshi.

Especially Wizards.

Which is a cracked out masterpiece of coked out insanity. Almost as great as Zardoz if you ask me.

And, guys, South Park the film deserves to be mentioned for being one of the most hysterically biting social commentaries ever made. Heck, I'd even say it is almost as good as Robocop when it comes to satire. Also, it has some really great songs.

Eeeh..."best of" lists are inevitably flawed. Why? Because if I made a 'best animated films' list, I'd include Heavy Metal.

Mostly because of that scene with the airplanes and the zombie skeletons.

kuwisdelu
07-08-2010, 08:59 PM
They also have a top 25 anime characters (http://movies.ign.com/articles/103/1036651p1.html) :P

I thought this list was better, missing a lot, but still had many who deserve to be on it.

But seriously, Pikachu? Pikachu!? He's not a character, he's a pet with amusing tendencies, namely getting kidnapped every other episodes.

Vash, meh, I'dve preferred someone else.

I'd have dropped those two to toss in either another Miyazaki character, Utena, or a Hellsing character.

Definitely much better, but I'd have put Shinji a bit higher than #25.

And Goku deserves to be somewhere on there, but definitely not #1. The list seems to be more from an American perspective than Japanese.

No Lain Iwakura??

And history has yet to make it's judgment, but probably Kamina should be there too.

ETA: And if Pikachu counts as a character, then I'd say Unit-01/Shogouki/Yui-sama deserves to be on that list too! She's pretty damn important/awesome/influential.

LOG
07-09-2010, 06:20 AM
The comment on Shinji were pretty humorous.

Or maybe we just love Shinji because we wish we could be in his shoes, because we know we could do the job so much better ourselves. And shack up in a pad with no parents and two gorgeous girls besides.

DaveB
07-09-2010, 09:22 AM
And where is Pinocchio? I can't believe they ranked Little Mermaid over Toy Story 3 and the Lion King!

Pinocchio has to be top 5 ... South Park on this list, especially ahead of Finding Nemo and The Lion King, is completely laughable. May I also submit for consideration Watership Down and The Secret of Nimh

DaveB
07-09-2010, 09:25 AM
I seriously cannot f-ing believe that The Secret of Nimh did not make that list. Seriously, that is in the top 10 IMO, easy, hands down.

Masterpiece

SirOtter
07-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Fantasia not being number one invalidates the list completely. It is the Sistine Chapel of animated films, the Cuban cigar among the Swisher Sweets, the Chateaubriand surrounded by horse apples. Dated and boring, my ass. It's a magnificent piece of art, besides which everything else on the list is the dregs of a sewer.

Their western list is even worse. Loaded with over-rated spaghetti westerns, it omits the obvious numero-uno, John Ford's Stagecoach, altogether, and gives the distinction of number one to the much too long and way too languid Once Upon a Time in the West. Bah. It's a fair to middlin' movie, if one needs a few naps between murders, but it's no Stagecoach.

SirOtter
07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Pinocchio has to be top 5 ... South Park on this list, especially ahead of Finding Nemo and The Lion King, is completely laughable. May I also submit for consideration Watership Down and The Secret of Nimh

QFT. And where's Bambi? Hell, Shinbone Alley was better than half the films on this list, and as much as I love the archy & mehitabel poems of Don Marquis upon which it was based, that ain't saying much.

maestrowork
07-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah, Bambi (and Dumbo, for that matter). It's the first animation/cartoon that deals with death of a parent. It shocked and upset a whole generation (and many more).