Conference: To Attend or Not Attend?

sarahcypher

Editor, writer, moving target
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahcypher.com
I attended the NYC Backspace Conference last May. It was a great experience, and I came **this close** to finding an agent for my first novel thanks to the contacts I made there.

Alas, I've tabled that novel for now. Nine agents asked for the full manuscript over the course of several months, but all of them rejected it for similar reasons. I've started another novel that is stronger, and plan to have a draft ready for submission next spring/summer.

But, I see that Backspace is having another conference this November, and a few of the agents that rejected the old one said that this conference would be a good time to touch base. I am curious if anyone has found it valuable to attend a conference without a ready-to-go manuscript. I have enough confidence in the new one to pitch it... but still. For $500 and a train ticket, is it worth showing up to a conference empty handed?

Your thoughts would be appreciated, even if it's just to tell me that I'm over-thinking this, as usual.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me the face-to-face time would be valuable, especially if the previous agents are expecting to see you there. Only you know if the $500 and transportation are worth it to you. I'll be watching this thread, as I've never attended a conference and I have a bazillion questions.

BTW, were the problems with the previous manuscript intractable? Is there any reason you couldn't polish the old one and let the agents know it's been improved? Would you have a revised MS by November?

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I always look at it this way, could I get that same access to that many agents (or editors in some cases) by spending that same amount of money differently?

I attend an expensive conference every year and after the first couple of years, have seldom come with anything in hand to pass along at the time. It's actually nice to get face time to build relationships and not just make a pitch.

If you can afford it, and you know you'll have the opportunity to build on those connections, I'd say go for it. Yes, you can get published without ever having met an agent or editor face to face, but I dare say it goes more smoothly on the whole for those who have.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
The marvelous thing about conferences is that editors and agents are "on call" the entire weekend. I've talked with authors at the bar, racing down the hallway to get to my next seminar, and had dinner with them. Nowhere else do you get that kind of face time, where you can ask all those questions that have been burning in your gut. I've lost count of the requests for pages, and I've signed a couple authors as well from different conferences.

As with everything else in publishing, there are no guarantees that you'll find your dream agent. But what is guaranteed is that you'll learn a ton.

Danthia

If you think you'll make valuable contacts, learn things from the sessions, and have a good time, why not go? Sometimes just being around other writers is a great experience and we all need some fun in this biz.

If you want to go and can afford it, I say go for it. I'm going to RWA in July and I'm not a romance writer, or pitching anything, or on any panels. I'm going for the fun and to attend some cool sessions.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Go.

Get face time. Pitch your new novel.

Have the novel with proposal ready. You've got the time to have a draft finished with a proposal in hand by November.

Now is a perfect time to teach yourself how to write fast. It can be done.

I'm on p. one of a new novel and still hammering on the outline, but it will be finished by the end of August. It's a question of setting aside time each day, reaching a word count within that time, and cranking out the pages.

You can edit brilliantly later.

You have to learn how to write fast anyway if you wanna be a pro. It's not about selling the first book--it's about selling all the books that come after it, and publishers want them fast.

Now, log off of AW and get to work. Don't think! DO it!

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
I had no luck with agents at the conference I went to, but I got to talk with some, meet some kick ass writers, and have just a really great time in general. It may not help you get your book published necessarily, but you'll learn some stuff and enjoy a great writers getaway.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go. To. Conferences.

Go to whatever you can afford that looks right for you, whether you have a book ready to go or not. Learning is always good. Contacts are always good. Meeting fellow writers is always good. Try not to think of it as just an opportunity to attract an agent or editor, but an opportunity to learn and make connections and, hell, to make new friends who are on the same track you're on.

I hate saying this, I do. Because conferences are expensive, and for many, they require travel. But, there's so much to learn, and where else can you find hundreds of people, all in the same boat you're in, as well as debut authors (who are grateful and generous with sharing), agents, editors, and scary-scary writers whose books are on your shelves.

One conference changed my entire network base. Another pretty much scored me my agent. And I'm full-body-tremoring shy. I'm the crappiest networker alive. If you can afford it, go. Let the industry get to know you.