Longest-Running Critique Group?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This month, my mystery-thriller-suspense critique group celebrates its anniversary. When we began meeting every two weeks to critique and discuss markets, we were strangers who had taken the same class. None of us had published anything in a commercial market.

Members have fallen by the wayside, losing interest, moving away, revolting against the group's agreed goal and taking several members, and in one case dying (the nerve!), but we have persisted for eighteen years. We are all published now, most of us several times.

Is anybody here at AW part of a local independent group which meets face to face (not a chapter of a larger organization) which has been around longer?

Maryn, hoping you'll raise a glass to Thirteenth Precinct

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
Congrats Maryn!!!

I used to be in a critique group, we parted after 6 months. Everyone was too busy with life. Probably not serious enough about writing...

Laura, raising a glass of champagne to Thirteenth Precinct!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I hate people, so no. But I love champagne, so I'll toast Thirteenth Precinct.

L'chaim

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...I've been in two face-to-face critique groups. One lasted for a month because only two of us (out of eight) were willing to put stuff up for critique. I'm not sure how long the second one lasted for, because we all exchanged chapters and met a week later to go over the critiques and the woman who read mine burst into tears and ran from the building. I didn't bother going back.

I think your group really might be the longest running.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Maryn! That's amazing! I'm not a member of a crit group but I just wanted to say congratulations. :)

Jenn, raising her coffee cup to Maryn and her group

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I keep re-reading the OP and trying to relate. Wow. Eighteen years? Does that mean these people are like...friends? I mean, you must really like these people. I think I'm too much of a recluse to stay in a group for that long. I don't even go out for mimosas in the morning with work friends because I figure after a 12-hour shift I've seen just about enough of the them.

Kaylea, envious of Maryn's social graces.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Splurt!) Me, social graces? I'm pretty shy.

We're friends now, but not terribly close. There's one I might call if I had a personal problem, but she would not be my first call.

Among the few bumps in the road was a subset of the main group which had become quite friendly, led by a very outgoing woman. They had trouble staying 'on task' with critique or brainstorm, reverting to socializing without realizing it. Our meetings started running longer and longer, and they got snippier and snippier each time anyone asked them to please socialize on their own, not during meetings.

Maryn, thanking you all for the toasts