Which famous authors had affairs / friendships with other authors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always asking these weird questions and saying it's for a project I'm working on / article I'm writing, but really, it is!

I'm trying to draw connections between British authors of the 20th century and am really struggling to find the dirt - who had affairs with whom? Who hated whom? Also, the niver stuff: who was friends with whom? Sure, there were lots of affairs but intercontinental - but that's no darn good! And of course, Virginia Woolf had a lot of dalliances but who else?

Would really appreciate some help on this! I'm talking 1900-2000 and British...

Thanks! Trix

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Who didn't HG Wells have affairs with?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
not british, but maeve binchy is married to gordon snell

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Google Salman Rushdie and Martin Amis - bad blood there.
VS Naipaul and Paul Theroux (also bad blood)
Hitchens, MacEwan and Amis were all friends.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Bram Stoker and Oscar Wilde were acquaintances who ended up vying for the affection of the same girl. Stoker won and ended up marrying her, which didn't make Wilde very happy, but they eventually resumed the friendship/acquaintanceship.

They're both Irish BTW.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were good friends since they first met at Oxford and belonged to the Inklings group together. But they hated one another’s books. When Tolkien was writing a new character for Lord of the Rings and tried to describe the character to Lewis, Lewis famously responded, “Not another fucking dwarf!”

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Sylvia Platt & Ted Hughes was pretty big.

Sam Beckett with Joyce's daughter (British subjects at the time, but very Irish)
Beckett & Joyce had a strong friendship

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Bram Stoker and Oscar Wilde were acquaintances who ended up vying for the affection of the same girl. Stoker won and ended up marrying her, which didn't make Wilde very happy, but they eventually resumed the friendship/acquaintanceship.

They're both Irish BTW.
I thought Oscar Wilde was gay?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
There's the crowd of mostly left-wing writers from the 1930s - Auden, Isherwood, Stephen Spender...and Edward Upward, the last of them to pass away, last year at the age of 105.

Don't forget the Bloomsbury crowd (Virginia Woolf, Vita Sackville-West etc).

ETA: Inklings already mentioned.

Last edited:

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Oscar Wilde was gay?

I believe Paul's right, he was bi-sexual. He married and had children. Read the section titled "Lyceum Theatre..." under the Wikipedia link. I just read this information in the foreword of B&N Classic Dracula too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_Stoker

Also, Stoker lived until 1912, Wilde died in 1900, so technically they both made it into the 20th century.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is great, thanks guys! I am working on a nightmare project at work (in terms of logistics) but a dream subject-matter! Making me wanna go back and read all those 20 C Brit-lit classics now... been spending far too much time reading YA lately.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
Anais Nin with Henry Miller...twentieth century at least

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
Do songwriters/singers count?? Cause Neil Gaiman and Tori Amos are friends with a bunch of really interesting intertextuality between their works . . . I believe she's a tree in Stardust and he's mentioned in a bunch of her songs. *shrug* that's the only one I know off the top of my head :p

Irissel

Wandering Aimlessly Through Life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
irissel.blogspot.com
C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were good friends since they first met at Oxford and belonged to the Inklings group together. But they hated one another’s books. When Tolkien was writing a new character for Lord of the Rings and tried to describe the character to Lewis, Lewis famously responded, “Not another fucking dwarf!”

Actually, C. S. Lewis loved Tolkien's work. I believe that member of the Inklings who made that disparaging comment about dwarves was Hugo Dyson. J. R. R. Tolkien didn't think to highly of Lewis' Narnia books, however. I think their friendship started going sour when Lewis married a divorce, which Tolkien didn't agree with...

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Hemingway srewed the blond reporter, then married her.,,, forget her name off the top of my head. Also had a spot in the Cuban brothels if I remember correctly while very married.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Robert Benchley and Dorothy Parker were very close...never crossed the line, but undoubtedly considered it. All the members of the Algonquin Round Table were interconnected, and I think a lot of them went back and forth from the U.S. to the U.K. And they all knew Hemingway, Benchley in particular was friends with him.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Jean Rhys and Ford Madox Ford. My mind boggles when I think about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.