PDA

View Full Version : Which famous authors had affairs / friendships with other authors?

TrixieLox
06-30-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm always asking these weird questions and saying it's for a project I'm working on / article I'm writing, but really, it is!

I'm trying to draw connections between British authors of the 20th century and am really struggling to find the dirt - who had affairs with whom? Who hated whom? Also, the niver stuff: who was friends with whom? Sure, there were lots of affairs but intercontinental - but that's no darn good! And of course, Virginia Woolf had a lot of dalliances but who else?

Would really appreciate some help on this! I'm talking 1900-2000 and British...

Thanks! Trix

waylander
06-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Who didn't HG Wells have affairs with?

shaldna
06-30-2010, 04:28 PM
not british, but maeve binchy is married to gordon snell

willietheshakes
06-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Google Salman Rushdie and Martin Amis - bad blood there.
VS Naipaul and Paul Theroux (also bad blood)
Hitchens, MacEwan and Amis were all friends.

JamieFord
06-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Indubitably, you can add Arthur Conan Doyle to the list.

Gretad08
06-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Bram Stoker and Oscar Wilde were acquaintances who ended up vying for the affection of the same girl. Stoker won and ended up marrying her, which didn't make Wilde very happy, but they eventually resumed the friendship/acquaintanceship.

They're both Irish BTW.

CaroGirl
06-30-2010, 06:47 PM
C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were good friends since they first met at Oxford and belonged to the Inklings group together. But they hated one another’s books. When Tolkien was writing a new character for Lord of the Rings and tried to describe the character to Lewis, Lewis famously responded, “Not another fucking dwarf!”

Paul
06-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Sylvia Platt & Ted Hughes was pretty big.

Sam Beckett with Joyce's daughter (British subjects at the time, but very Irish)
Beckett & Joyce had a strong friendship

Rhoda Nightingale
06-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Bram Stoker and Oscar Wilde were acquaintances who ended up vying for the affection of the same girl. Stoker won and ended up marrying her, which didn't make Wilde very happy, but they eventually resumed the friendship/acquaintanceship.

They're both Irish BTW.
I thought Oscar Wilde was gay?

Paul
06-30-2010, 07:02 PM
no he was happy, mostly. and bisexual
anyway that's 19century

Sunnyside
06-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Shoot, it has to be twentieth century? Darn it. I had a couple of good ones.

eyeblink
06-30-2010, 09:16 PM
There's the crowd of mostly left-wing writers from the 1930s - Auden, Isherwood, Stephen Spender...and Edward Upward, the last of them to pass away, last year at the age of 105.

Don't forget the Bloomsbury crowd (Virginia Woolf, Vita Sackville-West etc).

ETA: Inklings already mentioned.

Gretad08
06-30-2010, 09:19 PM
I thought Oscar Wilde was gay?

I believe Paul's right, he was bi-sexual. He married and had children. Read the section titled "Lyceum Theatre..." under the Wikipedia link. I just read this information in the foreword of B&N Classic Dracula too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_Stoker

Also, Stoker lived until 1912, Wilde died in 1900, so technically they both made it into the 20th century.

kuwisdelu
07-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Shoot, it has to be twentieth century? Darn it. I had a couple of good ones.

...same here.

Nevermind.

TrixieLox
07-01-2010, 12:52 AM
This is great, thanks guys! I am working on a nightmare project at work (in terms of logistics) but a dream subject-matter! Making me wanna go back and read all those 20 C Brit-lit classics now... been spending far too much time reading YA lately.

Devil Ledbetter
07-01-2010, 05:08 AM
Truman Capote and Harper Lee were very good friends.

maxmordon
07-01-2010, 05:33 AM
Gaiman and Pratchett, I think.

milly
07-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Anais Nin with Henry Miller...twentieth century at least

Witch_turtle
07-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Do songwriters/singers count?? Cause Neil Gaiman and Tori Amos are friends with a bunch of really interesting intertextuality between their works . . . I believe she's a tree in Stardust and he's mentioned in a bunch of her songs. *shrug* that's the only one I know off the top of my head :P

Irissel
07-01-2010, 08:19 AM
C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were good friends since they first met at Oxford and belonged to the Inklings group together. But they hated one another’s books. When Tolkien was writing a new character for Lord of the Rings and tried to describe the character to Lewis, Lewis famously responded, “Not another fucking dwarf!”

Actually, C. S. Lewis loved Tolkien's work. I believe that member of the Inklings who made that disparaging comment about dwarves was Hugo Dyson. J. R. R. Tolkien didn't think to highly of Lewis' Narnia books, however. I think their friendship started going sour when Lewis married a divorce, which Tolkien didn't agree with...

shaldna
07-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Gaiman and Pratchett, I think.

forgot about these two. they've worked on a couple of projects together

Pratchett and Stephen Briggs

Don Allen
07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Hemingway srewed the blond reporter, then married her.,,, forget her name off the top of my head. Also had a spot in the Cuban brothels if I remember correctly while very married.

JeanneTGC
07-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Robert Benchley and Dorothy Parker were very close...never crossed the line, but undoubtedly considered it. All the members of the Algonquin Round Table were interconnected, and I think a lot of them went back and forth from the U.S. to the U.K. And they all knew Hemingway, Benchley in particular was friends with him.

Priene
07-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Jean Rhys and Ford Madox Ford. My mind boggles when I think about that one.

Sunnyside
07-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Since you mentioned Neil Gaiman, you could probably also connect him to Alan Moore and Douglas Adams.

Lady Ice
07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Jean Rhys and Ford Madox Ford. My mind boggles when I think about that one.

Yep. Auden and Isherwood is a pretty big British 20th century one, I think.