Some Old Gay Movies I've Been Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OVTV was playing a bunch of 'gay movies' last week for pride. I just saw Torch Song Trilogy for the first time. WOW, what a powerful movie. I'm pretty much blown away. I know think Harvey Fierstein is about 1000 times more awesome than I believed previously. Hilarious and sad and brilliant.

So when I was younger, I thought The Birdcage was a really funny movie, but when I saw it this year I was severely Not Amused and I found it really sad (because Nathan Lane's character can't get any respect from his son or husband because he's inordinately queeny, and because the gay family turns the other cheek and rescues the Senator's family and gets no recognition or reconciliation for their efforts. Both of those things are deeply sad and make the movie more of a tragedy in my mind. The moral seems to be, gay people will be shunned by straight people no matter what, and if you're too gay, even the gay people will shun you! I had thought the ending was happy, but it's not, it's awful! They don't get so much as a thank you, a nod, a wink, a hint that things might be ok between them, the Senator's family just drives off for good.). I know these movies are both about characters who don't like gays, but in TB, it seems like the movie doesn't really like gays.

Anyway, my partner said I didn't like The Birdcage because it's dated (1996) and attitudes were different back then, and the things you could put in a movie were different too, so it's not fair of me to judge its morals by my own current ones. Fair enough. But Torch Song Trilogy is older (1988) and yet the MC expresses a pretty much modern take on the issues. (I know TST is based on a 1978 play and TB is based on a 1978 French film (and play before that!), but I think each remake left its creators somewhat free to decide how to portray things.)

Anyways, that's a rather long rant just to say, if the world was capable of making Torch Song Trilogy in the 80s, can someone please explain why The Birdcage is so troubling?

Deleted member 42

Anyways, that's a rather long rant just to say, if the world was capable of making Torch Song Trilogy in the 80s, can someone please explain why The Birdcage is so troubling?

I think it's because Torch Song was written for a queer audience; Birdcage for a straight one--and so plays into stereotypes, etc.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The version of Birdcage I saw had the son and his fiancee getting married at the end, with all the senator's conservative family and friends on one side of the aisle, and all the son's family and friends on the other side. That doesn't make it a better movie, but it does imply the senator was able to at least try and make a change for his daughter's happiness.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Also, isn't The Birdcage a very straight (no pun intended!) adaptation of a 1970's French film?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The scene that sticks with me from the most recent remake of the bird cage is when Robin Williams is in the bar talking about how he is out and proud and sees nothing wrong with being gay. But he is still releived that is son is straight and so will have an easier time of it. I found that the only really effective moment in the film.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
La Cage Aux Folles - 1973 French play, written by Jean Poiret
La Cage Aux Folles - 1978 French-Italian movie adaptation, directed by Édouard Molinaro.

I've seen the original movie and it's US remake. They're both farce, which means they combine improbable situations with pokes at manner and custom. I think it's the pokes that cause farce to date, with some jokes becoming embarrassing (e.g. some of the racism in Fawlty Towers), and others becoming mystifying (e.g. most of the pokes about heterosexual sex written in the 1970s). Perhaps what's making you uncomfortable is to do with that.

Farce is cousin to satire, but more ridiculous, less insightful and less pointed. I wouldn't look too hard for social messages, and it's renowned for producing unjust endings -- though as I recall the endings of La Cage Aux Folles and Birdcage were unusually touching.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
La Cage Aux Folles - 1973 French play, written by Jean Poiret
La Cage Aux Folles - 1978 French-Italian movie adaptation, directed by Édouard Molinaro.

I've seen the original movie and it's US remake. They're both farce, which means they combine improbable situations with pokes at manner and custom. I think it's the pokes that cause farce to date, with some jokes becoming embarrassing (e.g. some of the racism in Fawlty Towers), and others becoming mystifying (e.g. most of the pokes about heterosexual sex written in the 1970s). Perhaps what's making you uncomfortable is to do with that.

Farce is cousin to satire, but more ridiculous, less insightful and less pointed. I wouldn't look too hard for social messages, and it's renowned for producing unjust endings -- though as I recall the endings of La Cage Aux Folles and Birdcage were unusually touching.

Our second disagreement!
Fawlty towers was so good, because it parodied Basil's racism so well. It was a constant dig at the English Gentleman' and the 'Little Englander' aspect of Englishness in general - flawless stuff.

EDIT: of course i understand the role of Manuel in itself as being pure racist, but that was constantly countered by Basil interactions with him. Manuel existed as a testing point for general English attitudes to foreigners, esp since the package holiday thing came into being a few years previous. If his persona wasn't exaggerated it wouldn't have worked.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Midevilist is on to something. I have never heard of the Torch Song Trilogy until your post, while Birdcage was a highly publicized Hollywood release, based on plays and movies fromthe 70s. When you're Hollywood, your objective is to please the most people you can. Heartfelt, powerful stories don't make for Saturday Date Nights or something you can bring the kids too, unlike Birdcage. I personally enjoyed Jeffrey, from 1995, another movie that didn't do well at the box office.

Deleted member 42

Also, isn't The Birdcage a very straight (no pun intended!) adaptation of a 1970's French film?

It's based on La Cage aux Folles--which was an early 70s play first, and was meant for queer and queer-friendly audiences--though it's also clearly in the style of French farce.

ETA: Also, there's stuff that's funny in French, including some swipes at puritanical Americans, that doesn't carry over in English.

Last edited by a moderator:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For an interesting take, compare and contrast Robin Williams' "gay" performance in The Birdcage with that in The Night Listener.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
For an interesting take, compare and contrast Robin Williams' "gay" performance in The Birdcage with that in The Night Listener.

Huh. I've never even heard of The Night Listener, which means it must have been a VERY low profile release, since it seems recent and it has Robin Williams who is one of my favorite actors ever. The IMDB synopsis sounds utterly fascinating though. Is it any good?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Three words: read the book. The ending of the movie is so drastically different from the book's, it might as well be from a different source entirely. And what makes it really eerie is it's based on a true story.

Deleted member 42

Three words: read the book. The ending of the movie is so drastically different from the book's, it might as well be from a different source entirely. And what makes it really eerie is it's based on a true story.

Yeah . . . that sorta freaked me out. I saw the film on whim, and had read the book, and had no clue where it was going.

Status
Not open for further replies.