PDA

View Full Version : Some Norse mythos questions.

LOG
06-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Several questions I had, unsure of whether or not the answers actually exist. May have more later.

-What happens to Hel during/after Ragnarok?
-What happens to Loki's sons after they devour the sun and moon?
-What happens to Angrboša after Ragnarok?
-Is it recorded who gave birth to Fenrir's sons?

Nianne
06-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Fenrir's sons were born by a giantess witch living in the Ironwood forest east of Midgard. If you check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hati_Hr%C3%B3%C3%B0vitnisson, it references the original source material, if you actually wanted to find some of that old text to read. I couldn't find reference to her name though.

I couldn't the answer to any of your other questions. That doesn't mean the answers don't exist, of course, but it is possible that not all that information was written down in any surviving stories.

Maraxus
06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
What happens to Loki's sons after they devour the sun and moon?
Let me check this ... Loki's sons? ... Ah, ... So, Sol is chased by the wolf Skalli and eaten by Fenris. Mani (the moon) is chased by the wolf Hati and eaten by the corpse-eating moon-hound Managarm.
Hm, okay, wikipedia tells me, that it might have been, that Managarm was just another name for Hati (but I don't like this. Hati spends all his time chasing while Managarm eats corpses and get strong) and that Fenris and Skalli might have been used in place of each other and it was the later who ate the sun. ... Very confusing.

Couldn't find anything else. The name of the Old Woman of Jįrnvišr ... She might be identical to Angrboša but not necessary. I found the name "Gyge" three times, twice with no source mentioned, once with "Wilhelm Vollmer, "Wörterbuch der Mythologie"" Don't know if this guy is trustworthy.

Mr Flibble
06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Well Angrboda was the mother of at least two of Loki's sons (Fenrir and Jormungund) and one daughter (Hel), but not as far as I can see any other wolves.

As for Hel...can't find anything super specific, but I assume she is destroyed along with all the other gods. All I got is variations on this:
Hel will make her last stand at the twilight of the gods when she brings her hoard of dead up and out of Nifilheim to join her father and the other giants in the final battle of Ragnarok. Unlike her brothers Fenrir the Wolf and Jormungand the Serpent, we do not know how she will meet her doom on the field of Vigrid. Link to Loki's children (http://www.vikingage.com/vac/lokis-kids.html) which pretty much patches what I've got in my books.

Can't find anything that says Skoll and Hati are Loki's sons though - more likely Fenrir's, making them Loki's grandchildren. Again this matches pretty well to what I have in (most of) my books.

Although I have at least one book that says something similar to this:

East of Midgard there was a place more evil than any region in Jötunheim. It was Jarnvid, the Iron Wood. There dwelt witches who were the most foul of all witches. And they had a queen over them, a hag, mother of many sons who took upon themselves the shapes of wolves. Two of her sons were Skoll and Hati, who pursued Sol, the Sun, and Mani, the Moon. She had a third son, who was Managarm, the wolf who was to be filled with the lifeblood of men, who--was to swallow up the Moon, and stain the heavens and earth with blood. To Jarnvid, the Iron Wood, Loki made his way. And he wed one of the witches there, Angerboda, and they had children that took on dread shapes. Loki's offspring were the most terrible of the foes that were to come against the Ęsir and the Vanir in the time that was called the Twilight of the Gods.

Which would mean that the wolves were alive before Fenrir. All very contradictory :D I think it's more generally accepted they were Fenrir's sons (can't find a mother though). Can't find anything to say exactly what happened to them, but I think we can assume they peg(/ged) it along with everyone else.

Medi is the girl you need to ask.

Lyra Jean
06-30-2010, 05:17 PM
The Viking Answer Lady (http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/) I didn't see if she answered your question but this is where I go whenever I need information about the Norse.