What if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datoen

Registered
Reaction score
What if I wrote on a website that my sister was married to a guy that hits on her and that I really wished somebody would do something about it.
Then what if somebody did do something, maybe even took his life.
Would I be liable? Or guilty of something?

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse

swooping after you
Registered
Reaction score
Disclaimer: in no way does Nicholas Simon Hugh James Mohammed Woodhouse support illegal activities and suggests that we all, always, abide by the law

Datoen

Registered
Reaction score
Wrong Idea

Ooops, my goodness no. I am sorry if I made it seem like I was really in this situation. This is just a question for a work of fiction.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Whew, I'm glad you said so, Datoen!

Without details, nobody can really answer that question. As Nique says, you'd be a suspect, certainly. But legally responsible, or morally? Hmm. If you don't know the story of King Henry and his "meddlesome priest" remark, try researching it.*

*That's Henry II of England and Thomas a Becket, archbishop of Canterbury, in case you need Google terms.

Last edited:

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Most likely you would become a 'person of interest' in the investigation. Now, it depends on how much the person who read your website was able to frame you as to whether or not you had culpability.

Absent that, the prosecutor would have to prove that your actions were directly responsible for the actions of another in order for you to become criminally liable for what happened.

In most instances, merely saying "I wish something would happen to that *bleep bleep bleep*" and absent any intentional manuevering on your part, you most likely wouldn't even be charged.

As for the guilt factor? That's up to each and every person's conscience.

Rabe...

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Rabe said:
In most instances, merely saying "I wish something would happen to that *bleep bleep bleep*" and absent any intentional manuevering on your part, you most likely wouldn't even be charged.

As for the guilt factor? That's up to each and every person's conscience.

Rabe's right here. It's like those cases in which someone hears a song that supposedly encourages suicide or violence. It's a rather grey area, but basically - in the case of the website - you couldn't really be charged with planning or instructing the murder. Yes, you would be suspect but if the killer is already caught then there's not much the police can do about it. I don't think a killer can claim that "someone suggested I do something, so I killed him." I don't see that condeming you as an accomplice.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
post-action element

What your character did AFTER the bleep-bleep he wrote about was hurt/killed by a third-party would also come into play, I believe.

For example, if Joe Blow puts that bit up on his website, and Mr. Third Party kills the bleep-bleep -- and then Mr. Third Party contacts Joe to tell him the good news --

If Joe Blow does not immediately contact the police and (perhaps) actively assist them in capturing Mr. Third Pary, Joe could (if later this were revealed) be charged with being an accessory after the fact.

:scared: OK, I'm neither a lawyer nor a police officer -- but I believe this is true. Anyone out there disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.